My personal experiences onboard the Sapphire 28 day Hawaii/Samoa/Tahiti cruise.

Toto2Kansas

Without doubt, Toto had some very bad experiences on this cruise. Maybe it was bad luck that there were so many negatives.:)

I suggest that others shouldn't just write off 28 night cruises, or even this particular itinerary because of this cruise. It is unfortunate that the Security staff weren't present to see some of the activities that Toto mentioned.

We have done the 28 night cruise from Sydney to Tahiti three times and loved it, although this itinerary doesn't have such long stretches of sea days. On our recent Indian Ocean cruise we had seven days in a row. BTW, we love the sea days.

Hi Sue and thanks for your thoughtful and candid review. Sorry the cruise was a disappointment.

As Pam and many others said, please don't leave CC, as you have helped so many of us and we are very appreciative of your wealth of information and good, solid advice.

I would've liked to have seen Captain Jerman go in the pool...I have fond memories of him on our cruise last year and how personable he was :)

Toto,

thank you for your incredible review, it has all been well taken by myself and many more I am so sure. A wealth of experience that is appreciated...

It has been so obvious to my wife and I that the caliber of those cruising has changed so drastically over the past even few years, regrettably for the worse IMHO. So sad, but glad we have had the opportunity to have enjoyed some of the good years. Sometimes to us, it just seems that it is almost over with.

Thank you once again for your honesty and putting yourself out there. I can't even imagine anyone coming in and flaming your personal and no doubt accurate and respected point of view ...

Greatly respected, appreciated and very well taken...

I feel like I need to apologize.......because I thought the trip was absolutely WONDERFUL !!! How fortunate we all were to be on that great ship, to have calm seas, and to only have 11 kids - ha ha!!!

We would do this again in a heartbeat....and as a matter of fact, some of our new found friends had already booked it again.

There is always something that someone might not find up to par, but in a whole....this was 28 days of pure FANTASY, to have been to islands like Bora Bora and beautiful Moorea.....we are blessed!!

Too bad I didn't see that man changing...it would have enlightened my day!!!

This is not a negative...but I did find that because there were so many Elite members they felt they weren't getting the "attention" they normally do. I'm sorry for that. I am only measly gold, and I was so honored to hear the travel stories that more traveled people told to us.

I could complain about no CNN, no good internet service, no punch in the Horizon, understaffed in Sabitini's......but I'll leave that to someone else. A trip is what you make of it.....and we both thoroughly enjoyed every minute of it. -- Looking forward to the next one next year.

I feel like I need to apologize.......because I thought the trip was absolutely WONDERFUL !!!
No need to feel as though you have to apologize. We all know that two people can be on the same cruise and have different experiences. It's all based on one's personal experience.

I understand completely where Toto is coming from. I've been on cruises where there were so few activities and the weather wasn't the best that places I enjoy going to were crowded beyond belief. I've never had a suite but have retreated to my cabin many times to get away from crowds. It can truly be overwhelming at times.

If I'd paid a small fortune for the most expensive cabin on the ship and it comes with a special perk, I'd expect that perk. And if it wasn't up to expectations, I'd say something.

You're right that a cruise is what you make of it but when you're being frequently harassed by people on your roll call you don't know and who have no business calling you or knocking on your cabin door and disturbing you to ask stupid questions, that will affect your enjoyment of the cruise. That's not such a little thing as it's out of your control. :(

I'm glad you had a great cruise and it would be interesting to see your review from a different perspective.

How fortunate we all were to be on that great ship, to have calm seas, and to only have 11 kids - ha ha!!!

The kid issue, teen issue, senior issue, spring break group, 20's issue comes up quite a bit. For the most part, as long as everyone on the ship respects other passengers - it doesn't matter how many of each group is on board. Everyone on the ship should respect other passengers.

I have been on a ship with 700 kids and they all behaved great and it wasn't an issue. I have also been on ships with 700 kids when they are unsupervised, travel in groups and cause chaos on ships or take over places where they are not supposed to be (adult pools, etc...) - it is a problem. Adults don't go into the kids program area and take over, therefore the kids shouldn't take over the areas that are adults only.

As far as seniors on scooters and wheelchairs. Nothing wrong with this but when scooters go full speed ahead and start running into individuals, there is a problem.

If everyone on the ship respects others and shows their manners - I don't think there would be many complaints about "insert any group".

This is not a negative...but I did find that because there were so many Elite members they felt they weren't getting the "attention" they normally do. I'm sorry for that. I am only measly gold, and I was so honored to hear the travel stories that more traveled people told to us.

I am confused what attention Elite people expect to get? I am Elite and have been since shortly after the program started. I use my elite card to get discounts at shops, I get an elite bar setup in my room but I don't expect special attention because I am Elite. Can you elaborate? Maybe I am missing out on something I should be getting but I never ask for or get special attention for being Elite.

Thank you for such an honest and apparently painful revue for you to write. Your contributions to so many of us here on CC have been invaluable and I say " Thank You".

Hope after you take this breather from CC you will come back and share again.

Happy Holidays to you and yours....

I just finished reading your review to Judy over coffee. All I can say is THANKS!

As you might remember we cancelled this cruise and did a Western Med on the Grand for our 30th Anniversary. After reading your review, I can only shake my head and say that fate works in mysterious ways! I can only imagine what it would have been like to have anticipated that cruise for over a year, all the planning, all the expectations, only to have it turn out that way.

But you have defininitely helped us over the years with your insights and experiences. Your descriptions got us into trying a suite! From the foam toppers to the battery candles to all the little things that just make cruising a little more special, it would be a shame to lose from CC a person I always try and read.

You've already persuaded me to change plans. We won't be booking the upcoming repeat 28 day itineraries, but will instead, fly to Tahiti and do a B2B on one of the smaller ships in 2013.

So kick back for a few weeks and relax. See how things look then.

But whatever you decide, it has been a pleasure reading your posts and reliving your cruises through your writings. Thanks again!

Interesting read. Thank you for posting it, I think it has valuable information. I hardly think of it as negative as most would feel frustrated if run into by scooters or constantly hounded by other pax during the cruise.

As much as we would like to go on longer cruises, reviews like this kind of "talk me out of it" in favor of shorter cruises (plus the fact we can't afford it right now ;)). I'm generally not affected by other pax (seniors, children, partiers) as we kind of keep to ourselves. But I cannot tolerate rudeness from anyone, especially rudeness to a staff member.

Another thing I'm reassured of in my beliefs is that we never post our cabin number on Roll Calls. We don't attend cabin crawls and unless we know people, we don't invite anyone to our cabin. I've been asked for my cabin number at meet and greets and I change the subject...if pressed I say no, don't want to tell you. If anyone thinks I'm being rude for that, well, this is why.

I think the people bugging her and calling her cabin, or those who ran into others with their scooters need to apologize to Toto and her husband. I also don't think she needs to feel badly in the least for posting these experiences...maybe some will read it and see themselves for who they are and how they are affecting others.

Toto, thank you so much for posting your review. I'm so sorry about all the CC members bugging you at all hours. That's not right. I think I wrote someplace on a thread that the CC members on your cruise owed you a drink. Maybe we shouldn't list our cabin number on furure cruises.

Is there any place on the ship that you could put up notices for friends?

That might help others in the future.

Our last three cruises have been longer ones and I have noticed more elderly people. The first one was great because we went to relax and we joked that everyone went to bed by 7pm. No one seemed to be on the boat after 9. We called it our geriatric cruise. The cruise before that was over spring break and was terrible with all the wild kids and we loved this older crowd. Our last cruise was 14 days and I couldn't believe all the walkers and scooters onboard. They were parked all over the halls - one cabin had two of them. I felt sorry for the steward in those areas and room service people trying to get around them. I also was hit from behind several times - and no - "I'm sorry". The elevators were so slow and then it was made worse with all the scooters. It didn't bother us because we always use the stairs but there were long lines with many upset people. At the muester drill, I told my dh that I was really a little concerned if we really needed to evacuate the ship. It took forever to get out of the theater. So many people could not get out on their own. Has Princess really thought this out? I know my dh and myself would be the first to jump in to help someone but if there was a fire or something - would others? I'm sure Princess can't ask about your abilities BUT---------

I've never had a suite but have retreated to my cabin many times to get away from crowds. It can truly be overwhelming at times.

If I'd paid a small fortune for the most expensive cabin on the ship and it comes with a special perk, I'd expect that perk. And if it wasn't up to expectations, I'd say something. .

We book suites so we can get away from the crowds when we want to. I won't even get into some of our experiences in the HC. I love Sabatinis (another reason we book suites) and if I was Toto I would have been SO UPSET and would have had a letter off to Princess by now. Some cruises there have only been two tables occupied and others have had eight but it was still so relaxing. I have read several places were some Elites have said they feel they deserve this perk - WELL - this is what it would be like if they did that.

I'm sure this cruise cost Toto much more in tips than they planned since they had to eat in their cabin more. And I'm sure they are very generous and didn't think twice. We always tip way more than planned after getting to know the staff - they become family especially on the long cruises. I've wanted to take a few home with me.

The Staff - I'm really concerned that these hard working people will say "screw it" to the cruise ship industry if they continue to be treated so poorly by people.

And then the internet!!! That's another reason we book suites - the unlimited internet.

I'll get off my soapbox.

Again, Toto, thanks you so much for all the great information you give and share with all of us. Please, please don't leave us. Take a break but come back. You are a wonderful lady and I hope I get the pleasure of meeting you in person on some future cruise.

Thank you Sue for posting an honest review. It is so sad and disappointing when the actual experience doesn't measure up and you are left with a bad feeling. I think it happens to most of us sooner or later.

Please know that I love having you as a cyber friend and hope you stay. Maybe we will actually meet one day on a cruise!

You are really the "go to" person on here and we can count on your info every time, good news or bad. When you cruise as often as many of us do, some will be better than others and it's unlikely they will all be perfect. We usually have some small nit picks here and there, but this cruise sounds like the perfect storm. I appreciate your honesty in telling it like it was. Obviously some of the other passengers agreed with you.

Look foward to seeing you posting on here soon.....and thanks for all the advice you've given to so many of us for such a long time. I hope to meet up with you on a cruise some day, maybe in the FP islands! ;)

Sandy

Sue;

Thank you so much for a great review. I very much enjoyed reading it. So sorry to hear about the negatives. Take a little breather from CC but please don't stay away too long. I value your wisdom and wealth of knowledge.....:):):)

Bob

I think Princess definitely needs to take responsiblity for this cruise. Of course they have no control over the ages of the passengers but they should make a much more concerted effort to entertain passengers on all those long and boring sea days with no internet or TV or anything. Also, there is no excuse to have to wait an hour to get in on a show. They should have multiple shows each day and repeat performances throughout the cruise. I also believe they should do better in spreading out the crowds in places like the HC and the theaters by offering more variety and more venues "going" at the same time. Otherwise these long cruises become impossible to enjoy due to 2500 passengers looking desperately for ways to pass the time (like 8 sea days in a row)..

Age has nothing to do with couth, Princess isn't responsible for the entitled, herd mentality that Toto witnessed. These "people", I'm using that term loosely, knew what the itin for the cruise was and should have planned on how to entertain themselves w/o needing something to pass their time. W/O acknowledging the fact that the pax are responsible for their actions, we're only enabling the worst behavior imaginable.

That one passenger and his physical confrontation with the help over not having cream in his coffee, that person should have been dealt with maritime justice from days of yore.

As far as what Sue said about the condition of some of the pax, if you're not able to be somewhat self sufficient don't go, please. You're only going to a drain on many. My grandma is 96 years old, her mind is gone, and doesn't survive w/o assistance, it is horrific to see. I'd no sooner take her on a cruise of any length than I would give a flame thrower to a pyromaniac.

I'm sorry Sue had such a terrible time, from dealing with the pax, to being the personal assistant/travel agent to so many. I truly am sorry that Sue had a terrible time. I was looking to do this same cruise in 2013, as we're on HAL's version in 10/2012, but now I don't know if I will.

Sue, thank you for your honest review.

Derek

Dear Sue,

I have just read through 3 pages of comments and am pleased that there was not one "flame". Please keep posting, as you are a fount of good information.

I am so sorry your were harassed by all the calls. One of the things I detest is being "Camp Director" for others, especially the clueless.

As far as Tahiti goes, I have tried to advise people to fly there and miss the sea days. We will be going there next year -it will be our third visit, and are looking forward to it.

I am so sorry your were harassed by all the calls. One of the things I detest is being "Camp Director" for others, especially the clueless.
Roll call lists are starting to become an issue for me, enough that I've pulled back drastically from posting on roll calls. Not too long ago, someone who is on both of my upcoming roll calls took all the email addresses and added them to his marketing list, sending spam to all of us, promoting his products. Which, of course, is illegal (CAN-SPAM Act of 2005.) I'm always happy to answer questions when people email me; that's why I have a link in my signature. I may not join any roll call in the future. It's sad that it's come to that.

Toto - THANK YOU SO MUCH for your decision to post your very candid review. I hope you realize just how much you hopefully have helped those of us who have this itinerary booked for either next year or for 2013.

Please also know that one of my biggest regrets when we cancelled this 2011 cruise was that I wouldn't be meeting you, so that we could chat about the old Fair Princess Tahiti cruises!

We are away from home for this Thanksgiving week, but when we get home to my more familiar computer keyboard, I'll be adding a few more remarks to those in my first paragraph!!

Please don't give up posting here! Take a deep breath, and come back soon.

Bobbie

I'm always happy to answer questions when people email me; that's why I have a link in my signature. I may not join any roll call in the future. It's sad that it's come to that.

I know of several of us have stopped participating in roll calls. Some are just over powering.

Not too long ago, someone who is on both of my upcoming roll calls took all the email addresses and added them to his marketing list, sending spam to all of us, promoting his products. Which, of course, is illegal (CAN-SPAM Act of 2005.)

Not to mention the unintentional spam, from those unsuspecting people who have their email accounts hacked while you are in their address book. I can't tell you how much spam I've received from hacked accounts of colleagues, clients, friends, family members and acquaintances over the past month alone.

Sue, I am sorry this cruise was a disappointment and I appreciate your candor in describing your experiences. I am hoping Princess will adjust some of its policies or otherwise respond to the issues on your sailing, though I know that doesn't give you back the good times you should have had. I join in the sentiments of everyone on this thread in hoping you will not leave CC as you are a warm and helpful member of this community, who I have never seen get snarky or short-tempered with anyone. Thank you for all of the insight you have given this board over the years.

Roll call lists are starting to become an issue for me, enough that I've pulled back drastically from posting on roll calls. Not too long ago, someone who is on both of my upcoming roll calls took all the email addresses and added them to his marketing list, sending spam to all of us, promoting his products. Which, of course, is illegal (CAN-SPAM Act of 2005.) I'm always happy to answer questions when people email me; that's why I have a link in my signature. I may not join any roll call in the future. It's sad that it's come to that.

I hear you Pam, we are also close to making that same decision, sadly, X the Roll Call, the times have just way to changed for us anymore...

I know of several of us have stopped participating in roll calls. Some are just over powering.
Your so right on that, the over powering part...

Hi toto

Thanks for posting,

a few things, have been on a cruise with a group of non US folks who

both male and female constantly removed there clothes in public, not that they would walk around nude, but coming out of pool a suna etc, poor staff constantly requesting they did not do so

having been the youngest on a cruise, scooters need horns and there drivers passed a test

as to being on a roll call and group leader, while I did not mind notes under the door, or in the mail, folking coming to my cabin at all times was not what I had planned.

on one cruise I wrote to Princess in that the pursers were so poor more passengers were coming to me for help, you help one person where you can because its a nice thing to do and they then tell ten others.

I would guess this cruise cost a fare bit, as such you had the right to expect a first class cruise, from what you write I think Princess lived up in most parts to there side of the deal,

but our fellow cruisers also make a big difference to our cruise experience

yours Shogun

Sue - Thanks for the well-balanced review. I'm really sorry so many of us in the "golden years" act like two-year-olds. There's no excuse for rudeness at any age, and we should all know better. (And if i'm ever lucky enough to travel with you, I promise not to ring your room or hit you with my cane - I need it for balance.

Come back soon.

Archived