Port Everglades--Terminal 29--Do something, RCI!

Hi,

I believe that the OP started this thread after reading and seeing pictures of the big mess at pier 29 on Nov 20, embarkation of the Navigator.

But isn't everything in the port controlled by the port administration ? They have the control of everything including the embarkation. I believe that cruise ship personnel can not do anything in terms of assisting any guest in any way untill the guest gets on their property- the cruise ship.

So perhaps a letter to Mr. Phillip C Allen the Port Everglades Director might be the proper one. RCCL does not control the port.

This isnt just an issue with Royal, we had this issue at port everglades for last November sailing on Carnival... they shuttled us all over made us walk back and forth .. and left us outside for the better part of 8 hours....

The Navigator doesn't usually dock at #29, that ship was not suppose to be back from Europe yet. We sailed on Nov 20th on that cruise and we got there about 1:45-2:00 pm and we were pretty much able to get off the Park n Go bus, give our luggage to the luggage guys and walk to the terminal and up to security. Originally we wanted to get to the Port around 11:30 but I had read somewhere that there was going to be a big inspection since they were just returning from Europe so we decided to go later and boy am I glad we did. Sailed twice before on Navigator and it was not at 29.

Simple solution, get to the terminal

around 10:30-11:00, to avoid the

long lines!!

At the very least, you will have

a seat inside, so you will not be

standing out in the hot sun..

Seems the majority of cruisers show

up between 1:00 & 3:00 pm. Yet another

reason to go a day early, if at all possible.

Ha, it sure is! I have been on over 30 cruises with Royal and I have never seen anything like that in my life. That would be pure hell to me!

I had planned on arriving around 10:30, however, it seems like that is when the others went. Well, when you are given lemons....weather report is calling for snow on Sunday so I guess sitting in a hot "shed" is better than slugging through the snow.

I will also be sailing out on the Navigator on Sunday. I plan on driving in that day so I was planning on arriving whenever I got there.

Seeing those pics make me realize why I like sailing out of Port Canaveral. There RCCL is berthed at Terminal 10 which is much better looking than #29.

Just several concerns/complaints about both the embarkation/debarkation processes at 29. Apparently it's been an issue for years, with serious organizational issues resulting in very long lines, having to stand outside for long periods of time (hour or more), etc. Someone who just boarded her yesterday had several of the same issuesl, however that very well could have been the huge amount of people in Port Everglades yesterday, who knows. Just seems like a pattern that really is just not acceptable, in my opinion. I realize things happen--inspections, illnesses, etc., but again this seems to be more the rule, not the exception.

I've sail out of that terminal over the past year twice an leave again on the 10th not a problem. You are refering to the After Thanksgiven Cruise which this time of year with the cheaper cruises is a busy time.And there was an inspection going on that caused the delay. RCC has no control over the port that is the port authority.

I read somewhere that the sky was falling also. Maybe you should reconsider!!! What specifically would you like rectified about the situation? Or realize that the terminal time will be a very small percentage of you time during the week. Forget the reviews and have a great cruise.

Great response!!!

Again, I think that one set of reasons for these delays --

Ships just back from a TA seem to get inspected (which causes the delays), and this included the Navigator - I asked about it to a Port contact, and received a prompt response......

Oh yes…I was there, that was Navigator of the Seas at Terminal 29 on November 26 (last Saturday).

That was Navigator of the Seas second time in Port Everglades.

Boarding was delayed until 1:45pm due to a full crew inspection (CBP) and a Coast Guard drill that ran longer than normal.

Full crew inspections, coast guard drills, food inspections, etc. delay the normal boarding time.

These inspections and drills take place the first few calls back to the United States.

Terminal 29 is undergoing renovations.

In December all inspections, drills, and kinks will be worked out.

If I had to wait outside for 3 hours in the hot sun it wouldn't totally ruin my vacation but it definitely would start the trip out on a sour note. I understand that lots of times the delays are beyond RCCL's control but the way they handle them isn't. Simple things like uh... a sincere apology and a free welcome drink (booze or virgin) would work wonders on hot, grouchy, frazzled travelers. Also, water, access to bathrooms, updates for the whole line, personnel walking the line to make sure people are OK, etc. would help. Most people will be understanding so long as you keep them informed and treat them well. We had a delayed flight a year or so ago due to a worn tire. It took about an hour for the fix and the plane was hot and stuffy but we didn't mind because the pilot and crew kept us happy, entertained and informed. When we hit altitude they announced that the whole flight would get a free alcoholic drink or swag for the non boozers. RCCL should take note. After all... a happy passenger buys more stuff and comes back for future vacations.

I keep reading horror stories about this terminal, and am now totally freaked out to board the Navigator there this Feb. Will be our first time on a ship larger than the Radiance-class. If this terminal is such a big problem, why isn't Royal doing anything to fix it? They can't have people standing outside in the hot sun for long periods of time, or whatever else is going on. This seems to be an on-going issue, not just a fluke thing.

I've read a number of posts from people that don't even want to book a specific ship if she's docked at 29! That is just unacceptable, really. The situation needs to be rectified.

"Totally freaked out .. "?? over something like this ... that hasn't even happened to you ?

You sound kind of high maintenance. On the bright side, you still have plenty of time to cancel if you're that worried. :rolleyes:

"Totally freaked out .. "?? over something like this ... that hasn't even happened to you ?

You sound kind of high maintenance. On the bright side, you still have plenty of time to cancel if you're that worried. :rolleyes:

That was a little harsh. I have had two very bad RCI debarkations from this port. Both times the blame was a 50/50 situation between RCI and the port. People can tell the OP not to get upset but you are not her. I see RCI has not learned much since we debarked the NV back in 2007. It was a joke. The Jewel the year before was not much better. Some people on here need to take off cheerleader uniforms and put the pom pons down.

RCI made the decision to place the NV in FLL. They should have made sure that they had something better than a shed to check in over 3000 guests.

.....RCI made the decision to place the NV in FLL. They should have made sure that they had something better than a shed to check in over 3000 guests.

Hi,

This I agree with you. Port administration might be running the operation of everything in the port , possibly even the embarkation ....... but RCI is the one that choose to be there.

Hope it won't. My parents will be with me and both have health issues, so I'm a bit concerned.

I have seen the port staff bring chairs for people in line who were elderly and couldn't walk long distances, or stand in the hot sun. I don't think this should be an issue

I have seen the port staff bring chairs for people in line who were elderly and couldn't walk long distances, or stand in the hot sun. I don't think this should be an issue

Plus, it won't be that sweltering hot in FLL in February.

Simple solution, get to the terminal

around 10:30-11:00, to avoid the

long lines!!

At the very least, you will have

a seat inside, so you will not be

standing out in the hot sun..

Seems the majority of cruisers show

up between 1:00 & 3:00 pm. Yet another

reason to go a day early, if at all possible.

Thanks, I agree. We usually do get to the port around 10:30 anyway, so that will still work. I have parents with health issues so I'm just concerned, as I'm sure many others are. In my previous cruises I have experienced some hellish embarkation/debarkation so this has me especially worried with the lines outside. Probably am overreacting, I realize, but I have seen a lot of disorganization from Royal's end (used to have some friends that were the Pier Coordinator Supervisors/Managers, etc. for RCI at the Port of Miami so I know that a lot of the time they are problems on their side, not necessarily the pier. Guess that's why I was rather animated and calling for Royal to at least take a look at the issues there.

Thanks for all the responses, I hope everyone has great cruises ahead!

Heat stroke is not the best way to start a vacation and it certainly would affect someones vacation.

This is particularly what I'm concerned about and that was the very first thing I thought of while seeing those lines: what about the people who can't stand/be in the hot sun for prolonged periods of time? Not trying to be dramatic, but that is the case for a lot of people.

I've sail out of that terminal over the past year twice an leave again on the 10th not a problem. You are refering to the After Thanksgiven Cruise which this time of year with the cheaper cruises is a busy time.And there was an inspection going on that caused the delay. RCC has no control over the port that is the port authority.

If that was the case, truly, then I stand corrected. But again, I have read from many other passengers over the years that that particular terminal has been a problem. Surely there's a better solution than having that many people stand in lines outside?! And if there isn't, frankly they shouldn't be using that terminal.

If I had to wait outside for 3 hours in the hot sun it wouldn't totally ruin my vacation but it definitely would start the trip out on a sour note. I understand that lots of times the delays are beyond RCCL's control but the way they handle them isn't. Simple things like uh... a sincere apology and a free welcome drink (booze or virgin) would work wonders on hot, grouchy, frazzled travelers. Also, water, access to bathrooms, updates for the whole line, personnel walking the line to make sure people are OK, etc. would help. Most people will be understanding so long as you keep them informed and treat them well. We had a delayed flight a year or so ago due to a worn tire. It took about an hour for the fix and the plane was hot and stuffy but we didn't mind because the pilot and crew kept us happy, entertained and informed. When we hit altitude they announced that the whole flight would get a free alcoholic drink or swag for the non boozers. RCCL should take note. After all... a happy passenger buys more stuff and comes back for future vacations.

Bingo.

Not high-maintenance at all, actually, but it's funny to me that you'd make a judgement like that from reading some posts on the internet.

These boards crack me up, you cannot discuss ANYTHING without snippy, condescending remarks! Hysterical.

Archived