Port Everglades--Terminal 29--Do something, RCI!

Hi,

Debarkation yesterday was very easy. Navigator did not reverse down the channel this week.

374267_10151005506870352_617355351_21965905_1543865457_n.jpg

Linda, I was following right along with your posts, thanks again for that. Glad you arrived home safely.

What was your overall impression of the Navigator? Did you really like the ship? Will be my first time on anything larger than a Radiance-class, so I'm interested to know what you think. The Majesty is my favorite ship :)

Linda, I was following right along with your posts, thanks again for that. Glad you arrived home safely.

What was your overall impression of the Navigator? Did you really like the ship? Will be my first time on anything larger than a Radiance-class, so I'm interested to know what you think. The Majesty is my favorite ship :)

Hi Stacy,

I love Radiance class but miss the Royal Promenade. Friends who ate in Johnny Rockets on NV were not impressed. I like Seaview Cafe on Radiance and object to paying for a milkshake! Loved the decor and had an excellent room steward; excellent service from my particular waiter / assistant in MTD but mixed reviews from others. Head waiter waste of space; friend asked if she could remove his pre paid gratuity which was declined. I didn't give him the envelope - he gets the gratuity regardless. Size of ship perfect for this itinerary... Meet & Mingle not great. Entertainment good. Food so so. Shrimp with everything it seems....

Would definitely sail on her again. PR room lovely but I missed a balcony.

Was on NAV last week and affected by the long lines. I did not read through all the posts to see if anyone explained that the problem was that the Coast Guard did an inspection of the vessel due it coming over from Rome and changing home ports to FLL. This caused about a 2 hour delay in starting the boarding process. That line would have happened at any terminal, not just 29. As it was, the pax were remarkably "well behaved" and once the line starting moving it went quickly. At least is was not hot and it was not raining!

Now could RCCL have done better? Yes. More cold water brought out, set up some tents for shade (they have them for use at the ports), etc. but the problem was that many of the crew that would be doing that were tied up with the inspection.

Now the good news is that if you are booked on NAV out of 29, you probably won't run into this, it already happened... to me!

As a point, debarkation was super easy even though Customs only had 3 people on duty (really??) and taxis to the airport were plentiful.

Was on NAV last week and affected by the long lines. I did not read through all the posts to see if anyone explained that the problem was that the Coast Guard did an inspection of the vessel due it coming over from Rome and changing home ports to FLL. This caused about a 2 hour delay in starting the boarding process. That line would have happened at any terminal, not just 29. As it was, the pax were remarkably "well behaved" and once the line starting moving it went quickly. At least is was not hot and it was not raining!

Now could RCCL have done better? Yes. More cold water brought out, set up some tents for shade (they have them for use at the ports), etc. but the problem was that many of the crew that would be doing that were tied up with the inspection.

Now the good news is that if you are booked on NAV out of 29, you probably won't run into this, it already happened... to me!

As a point, debarkation was super easy even though Customs only had 3 people on duty (really??) and taxis to the airport were plentiful.

Hi there,

Did you attend the M&M? Didn't see you on the roll call.

The ship arrived from Rome on the 20th and was not subjected to the inspections at that time. It's all in my blog, sig below. RCCL were not in control of the pier, more's the pity. I will be writing to CBP when I get over my jet lag.

Hi,

thank you for your post I appreciate it

I am glad that even that your embarkation was not as smooth as it should have been it did not affect you in any bad way, and I hope that you did have a good cruise.

I just want to add some comments and they are in no way directed against you.

I understand that a surprise inspection ( and all of them are as they should be IMHO) will affect any ship and any embarkation regardless of cruise line.

I have not been to pier 29 - will be there soon and I do understand that it is not a typical passenger terminal but a pier that is used mostly by cargo ships and cruise ships when no other passenger terminal is available.

There will be other cruise ships there that will face the inspection and there will be long lines and delays - I believe it is the Port Everglades obligation to provide for the boarding people a reasonable facility where they can wait under a cover ( tent will be fine) have access to some water and restrooms, some chairs would be welcome too.

I am not sure but I believe that the cruise lines can not do that due to some labor agreement between the port and its workers.

The port is charging the ships a lot of money ( which we pay in our "Port charges" ) for using their services - the port Director should take better care of the people that came to 'his' port...... the inspections of cruise ships will continue at pier 29 . And there will be rains and hot sun and many of the passengers that are going on cruises are older and some of them have health problems - is it too much to ask just for some basic shelter ?

Hi Stacy,

I love Radiance class but miss the Royal Promenade. Friends who ate in Johnny Rockets on NV were not impressed. I like Seaview Cafe on Radiance and object to paying for a milkshake! Loved the decor and had an excellent room steward; excellent service from my particular waiter / assistant in MTD but mixed reviews from others. Head waiter waste of space; friend asked if she could remove his pre paid gratuity which was declined. I didn't give him the envelope - he gets the gratuity regardless. Size of ship perfect for this itinerary... Meet & Mingle not great. Entertainment good. Food so so. Shrimp with everything it seems....

Would definitely sail on her again. PR room lovely but I missed a balcony.

Thanks for the breakdown, Linda. Sorry for the head waiter issue...sometimes you come across a great one, but usually not, in my experience. Back in the day, on the smaller ships, there were great ones, but I think things have changed a bit for the most part, as with anything, I guess.

What did you think of the pool area, did you spend much time there? I am a sun worshipper, so I'm hoping for a great pool area. I spend lots of time there and like listening to the Caribbean band. That was the only thing I did NOT like on the Radiance, really--there was just the one pool and it seemed very cramped to me. Very difficult to find a lounge chair.

Thanks again for everything!

Come up to Bayonne! Same thing. The various car services and friends who have dropped us off or come to pick us up cannot believe how long RCL has been operating in such an ugly, temporary terminal. Then there is the bus to the ship instead of just walking on.

Latest in point the finger of blame contest (normally RCL blames the Port) is that the property around Cape Liberty has been sold to a private owner who has not disclosed his plans for the port area. RCL may yet be forced to leave Bayonne since condos have sprung up, there is a new NJ Transit railroad station, a shopping mall, a school, etc. all close to the port. Sounds more reasonable to build up the area as a permanent residential community than to improve the port itself that handles only 2 ships at different times.

MARAPRINCE

Thanks for the breakdown, Linda. Sorry for the head waiter issue...sometimes you come across a great one, but usually not, in my experience. Back in the day, on the smaller ships, there were great ones, but I think things have changed a bit for the most part, as with anything, I guess.

What did you think of the pool area, did you spend much time there? I am a sun worshipper, so I'm hoping for a great pool area. I spend lots of time there and like listening to the Caribbean band. That was the only thing I did NOT like on the Radiance, really--there was just the one pool and it seemed very cramped to me. Very difficult to find a lounge chair.

Spent as little time by the main pools that I could get away with. Can't stand the noise. Links to pics in my sig below. Did have a swim on my return from Labadee when it was quiet.

Linda,

I did read all of your posts and enjoyed the pictures. Thank you very much. I know that you spent time and money just to keep 'us' informed - I do appreciate it and thank you very mych.

Wes

Used my OBC and free minutes courtesy of C&A so the expense wasn't too bad. Really scored with a room above a hotspot which was unintentional. Good upload speed and connection. Thanks for reading along. :)

Hi there,

Did you attend the M&M? Didn't see you on the roll call.

The ship arrived from Rome on the 20th and was not subjected to the inspections at that time. It's all in my blog, sig below. RCCL were not in control of the pier, more's the pity. I will be writing to CBP when I get over my jet lag.

Nope, did not do the M&M this time. We had 14 in our group and I figured that was about all I could handle :-)

The ship did arrive from Europe on the 20th, but this was the first time the CG could schedule the inspection (and that was pretty quick since the 26th was only the 2nd day NAV was in FLL since she was out cruising the rest of the time)

Other than the embarkation, a great cruise! I loved how the weather was pretty much perfect at each of our ports and only windy on sea days. St. Kitts and Labadee were like picture postcard weather.

I thought having EN with us at Labadee would cause a crowd, but there were still plenty of places at the beach and no lines at the buffet, so that was a non-issue.

I suspect if we were one of those that came down with the Norovirus the captain described we would be singing a different song, but I guess enough of the complimentary liquor from the CL will kill any pesky virus :-)

Thanks for your post and photos!

The Voyager class ships have a far superior pool deck, of course in my opinion, to the Radiance class ships. I think you will be very pleased with both the main pool as well as the Solarium pool areas. The solarium is not covered with a glass canopy so you can also worship the sun in there too!:)

The Voyager class ships have a far superior pool deck, of course in my opinion, to the Radiance class ships. I think you will be very pleased with both the main pool as well as the Solarium pool areas. The solarium is not covered with a glass canopy so you can also worship the sun in there too!:)

That's what I like to hear! I thought the Radiance was beautiful and liked the size, but the pool deck ruined it for me. Could not find a chair anywhere (and I mean anywhere) on a sea day at 10:00 a.m.! It was crazy. Really looking forward to sailing on the Navigator.

Majesty is still my fave though :)

If I had to wait outside for 3 hours in the hot sun it wouldn't totally ruin my vacation but it definitely would start the trip out on a sour note. I understand that lots of times the delays are beyond RCCL's control but the way they handle them isn't. Simple things like uh... a sincere apology and a free welcome drink (booze or virgin) would work wonders on hot, grouchy, frazzled travelers. Also, water, access to bathrooms, updates for the whole line, personnel walking the line to make sure people are OK, etc. would help. Most people will be understanding so long as you keep them informed and treat them well. We had a delayed flight a year or so ago due to a worn tire. It took about an hour for the fix and the plane was hot and stuffy but we didn't mind because the pilot and crew kept us happy, entertained and informed. When we hit altitude they announced that the whole flight would get a free alcoholic drink or swag for the non boozers. RCCL should take note. After all... a happy passenger buys more stuff and comes back for future vacations.

NorbertNiece can correct me if I'm wrong, but I swear I read on her blog that free drinks WERE given at some point during this cruise as an apology. So hopefully they are taking note.

I think my big issue with this is the assumption that RCI should take care of PAX when you technically aren't even supposed to be at the port yet. My cruise documents for my Feb. 26th NOS sailing clearly says 1:30 on them. And that you need to be on by 4PM or something like that. To me, that is RCI saying to arrive and board sometime between 1:30-4, not be there at 10:30 and then complain about waiting. I have NO ISSUES with people showing up early if that's what they want to do and risk having to wait rather than getting on board right away. In fact, for our Feb. 26th cruise we're showing up early because we have a group we're trying to coordinate and many of them have never sailed before. But if we show up and have to wait for 3 hours, that's no one's problem but ours, IMO. Why should RCI cater to us when we shouldn't even be their problem yet?

According to many people who are getting off this sailing those who arrived around 2ish (so right on time) didn't have to wait very long at all. So it does seem to me like RCI made every effort to maintain the comfort of their guests once they were actually supposed to be their problem (i.e. those who showed up after the time stated on their cruise documents).

NorbertNiece can correct me if I'm wrong, but I swear I read on her blog that free drinks WERE given at some point during this cruise as an apology. So hopefully they are taking note.

I think my big issue with this is the assumption that RCI should take care of PAX when you technically aren't even supposed to be at the port yet. My cruise documents for my Feb. 26th NOS sailing clearly says 1:30 on them. And that you need to be on by 4PM or something like that. To me, that is RCI saying to arrive and board sometime between 1:30-4, not be there at 10:30 and then complain about waiting. I have NO ISSUES with people showing up early if that's what they want to do and risk having to wait rather than getting on board right away. In fact, for our Feb. 26th cruise we're showing up early because we have a group we're trying to coordinate and many of them have never sailed before. But if we show up and have to wait for 3 hours, that's no one's problem but ours, IMO. Why should RCI cater to us when we shouldn't even be their problem yet?

According to many people who are getting off this sailing those who arrived around 2ish (so right on time) didn't have to wait very long at all. So it does seem to me like RCI made every effort to maintain the comfort of their guests once they were actually supposed to be their problem (i.e. those who showed up after the time stated on their cruise documents).

Hi,

Yes you are right free drinks did appear by the pool deck one afternoon with no explanation. The comment was made by a senior bar manager on my query as to why. This may be his assumption or an official comment, I don't know. Interesting though if it WAS an apology then RCCL feel they have something to answer for.....

Check in has opened at 11am on every RCCL cruise I have taken. They are expecting people there at that time regardless of what the cruise docs say. As others have said it is NOT compensation that we are after but someone to take accountability for what could have turned very nasty for some. Lessons HAVE to be learnt.

That reminds me of once I was in my dentist office and a lady was complaining that she had to wait 2 hours to see him.The problem was is that she was 1-1/2 hours early and she was counting that as time waited. She yelled and he actually threw her out. I was proud of him.

I am planning on getting there @12noon and boarding starts @ 1:30PM . I will not be counting that 1-1/2 hrs to the time I HAD to wait to board ship.

We were on the Navigator 11/26 sailing. We arrived around 10:30am. We were in the second to last row of chairs in the warehouse. After waiting outside for an hour or so, we waited inside for 2.5 more hours so, arriving early was not the way to get right on board.

According to the captain and the crew we talked to, the problem was twofold. #1 There was the aforementioned pop inspection (with paperwork issues). #2 There was a record number of people (55,000) for the port to process on the 26th.

Experienced cruisers know that boarding begins earlier, MUCH earlier. I'm not sure why you keep bringing that up, b/c it's just not reality. Most people go earlier so they can experience their first nearly-full day onboard, not waiting in lines since you're arriving at 1 or 2. I get what you're saying, but it's just not it works and everyone knows it.

Now, if some unforseen circumstance ocuurs, then yes, there will be waiting. I've been on over 35 cruises and not once have I experienced anything like those pictures I saw. And I've been through several inspections, illnesses, whatever. Nor have I boarded any later than 1:00, given those fluke circumstances. Not once. I don't think anyone's arguing that they had to wait awhile to board due to inspections, etc. But the fact that people were left outside in the sun waiting in lines like that, to me, is unacceptable. Royal Caribbean should have better facilities--if they don't have the proper boarding terminal, then at least cold water, tents and chairs--for things like this. It does happen, as we're all aware. There should be something in place to take care of the people if a serious delay occurs. It's common sense, really. People pay good money for a vacation and something like that can taint it right from the start. It's called Customer Service, and they need to provide a higher level of it.

My cruise documents for my Feb. 26th NOS sailing clearly says 1:30 on them. And that you need to be on by 4PM or something like that. To me, that is RCI saying to arrive and board sometime between 1:30-4, not be there at 10:30 and then complain about waiting.

I do not agree with your assertion. CBP requires you be checked in 90 minutes prior to sailing and on board 60 minutes prior. For a 5:00 sailing, that requires all being checked in by 3:30. Could you imagine over 3000 people checking in with only a 2 hour window?

Anyone who has previously cruised knows they board much earlier than 1:30. Only circumstances out of their control would result in boarding later than that. And most people know that printed boarding time is to relieve them of any obligation if boarding doesn't actually start at 11:00.

We were a party of four boarding the November 26 Navigator so I saw this mess first hand.

While I do not blame the cruise line for unforseen problems such as the pop Coast Guard Inspection and the immigration issues, I feel that RCI (or whatever cruiseline is docked at Pier 29) needs to work with the Port Authority on some type of contingency plan to avoid what was a very dangerous situation for some people boarding that cruise. If this had been a summer sailing, the situation would have been even worse and more people would have had medical problems. All of the people in charge of security that I dealt with ranged from downright surly (the traffic cop that would not listen when I tried to explain that I had handicapped people in my car) to the complacent officers at the building that needed to help people that were hot and sick. These were not RCI employees..we had none of those available till right before boarding.

So..Port Everglades..are you listening??? Get your act together and work with the cruiselines that sail out of Pier 29 and put in some type of plan to give shade and assistance to passengers boarding and disembarking when there is a delay of some sort.

Deb

While I do not blame the cruise line for unforseen problems such as the pop Coast Guard Inspection and the immigration issues, I feel that RCI (or whatever cruiseline is docked at Pier 29) needs to work with the Port Authority on some type of contingency plan to avoid what was a very dangerous situation for some people boarding that cruise.

Just to add something here - CG inspections on cruise ships are not unannounced.

That reminds me of once I was in my dentist office and a lady was complaining that she had to wait 2 hours to see him.The problem was is that she was 1-1/2 hours early and she was counting that as time waited. She yelled and he actually threw her out. I was proud of him.

I am planning on getting there @12noon and boarding starts @ 1:30PM . I will not be counting that 1-1/2 hrs to the time I HAD to wait to board ship.

You can get on board earlier then 1:30

Experienced cruisers know that boarding begins earlier, MUCH earlier. I'm not sure why you keep bringing that up, b/c it's just not reality. Most people go earlier so they can experience their first nearly-full day onboard, not waiting in lines since you're arriving at 1 or 2. I get what you're saying, but it's just not it works and everyone knows it.

Now, if some unforseen circumstance ocuurs, then yes, there will be waiting. I've been on over 35 cruises and not once have I experienced anything like those pictures I saw. And I've been through several inspections, illnesses, whatever. Nor have I boarded any later than 1:00, given those fluke circumstances. Not once. I don't think anyone's arguing that they had to wait awhile to board due to inspections, etc. But the fact that people were left outside in the sun waiting in lines like that, to me, is unacceptable. Royal Caribbean should have better facilities--if they don't have the proper boarding terminal, then at least cold water, tents and chairs--for things like this. It does happen, as we're all aware. There should be something in place to take care of the people if a serious delay occurs. It's common sense, really. People pay good money for a vacation and something like that can taint it right from the start. It's called Customer Service, and they need to provide a higher level of it.

Haven't we beaten this dead horse enough.....................

I do not agree with your assertion. CBP requires you be checked in 90 minutes prior to sailing and on board 60 minutes prior. For a 5:00 sailing, that requires all being checked in by 3:30. Could you imagine over 3000 people checking in with only a 2 hour window?

Anyone who has previously cruised knows they board much earlier than 1:30. Only circumstances out of their control would result in boarding later than that. And most people know that printed boarding time is to relieve them of any obligation if boarding doesn't actually start at 11:00.

My cruise leaves at 5:30, not 5.

And I do believe the highlighted portion is making the same point I was making. If most people know that, why complain when you show up early and have to wait?

That is 100% correct Paul. No way could RCI check in and load that ship in two hours. They also want people to arrive early and check in. They send that out to save their butts in case boarding starts late. If everyone arrived at 1 or 2:00 it would be a mad house to say the least.

For those of us that have been cruising for a number of years, we know how the system works.

Archived