Port Everglades--Terminal 29--Do something, RCI!

That was a little harsh. I have had two very bad RCI debarkations from this port. Both times the blame was a 50/50 situation between RCI and the port. People can tell the OP not to get upset but you are not her. I see RCI has not learned much since we debarked the NV back in 2007. It was a joke. The Jewel the year before was not much better. Some people on here need to take off cheerleader uniforms and put the pom pons down.

RCI made the decision to place the NV in FLL. They should have made sure that they had something better than a shed to check in over 3000 guests.

Thanks. I love Royal Caribbean, but they have some serious organizational issues. That is a fact and is admitted by their own staff/crew.

Just b/c I take issue with certain negative things doesn't mean I should "sail another line" or even more outlandish: "CANCEL!" which of course is a quick, easy response for some. I have over 30 cruises with Royal and have been through some unpleasant things as far as boarding/debarking. But I love cruising with them and I never allow things to ruin my cruise as I feel blessed enough to even set foot on a ship. But I do expect certain things from a company I'm paying good money to, for things that can (and should) be avoided.

Things such as inspections, illnesses, weather, etc. have nothing to do with my complaint/concern, I want to make that clear. IF this continues to go on without resolve, then that is an issue. They are well aware of the size of the ship, and the size of the terminal. It is not new news. If the terminal doesn't work for this ship, then another arrangement needs to happen. Period.

I apologize if my title was a bit dramatic, didn't mean it that way.

Hi,

I believe that the OP started this thread after reading and seeing pictures of the big mess at pier 29 on Nov 20, embarkation of the Navigator.

But isn't everything in the port controlled by the port administration ? They have the control of everything including the embarkation. I believe that cruise ship personnel can not do anything in terms of assisting any guest in any way untill the guest gets on their property- the cruise ship.

So perhaps a letter to Mr. Phillip C Allen the Port Everglades Director might be the proper one. RCCL does not control the port.

There are some things the cruiseline can control. Not all, but some.

Why is RCI not using Miami port anymore? Wouldn't it have made more since to bring Navigator and Liberty there for sailings?

Why would it make more sense? Actually, Port Everglades makes more sense. It's larger. It has more berths. The airport is much closer. And you don't have to drive through downtown to get to it. FLL is a farther drive for me than MIA, but I much prefer FLL to cruise out of.

Why would it make more sense? Actually, Port Everglades makes more sense. It's larger. It has more berths. The airport is much closer. And you don't have to drive through downtown to get to it. FLL is a farther drive for me than MIA, but I much prefer FLL to cruise out of.

I agree. I lived in Miami for almost 50 years and I never liked that drive to the cruise port in Miami. We loved driving to Port Everglades to go on Enchantment. The drive and check in was much more pleasant farther north. It seemed to take just about the same length of time to get to either port from far south in Homestead.

Of course I've never gone out of pier 29 but I will soon. :eek:

If there are any good pictures or things to report, I'll upload them from my phone to cc with tapatalk. :)

Gina

I agree. I lived in Miami for almost 50 years and I never liked that drive to the cruise port in Miami. We loved driving to Port Everglades to go on Enchantment. The drive and check in was much more pleasant farther north. It seemed to take just about the same length of time to get to either port from far south in Homestead.

Of course I've never gone out of pier 29 but I will soon. :eek:

If there are any good pictures or things to report, I'll upload them from my phone to cc with tapatalk. :)

Gina

Gina, do you happen to remember which pier Enchantment used most of the time back in the day? I sailed on her a few times from FLL but don't remember.

Gina, do you happen to remember which pier Enchantment used most of the time back in the day? I sailed on her a few times from FLL but don't remember.

When I cruised EOS, it was out of Pier 24. In fact, all my RCI cruises, other than Oasis Class, have been out of 24.

I'm very surprised to hear NOS is using 29. I never knew the big ships went in that far.

In fact, if you click this link, you'll see NOS at Pier 24. Oasis is there, so it must be fairly recent:

http://www.porteverglades.net/about-us/

When I cruised EOS, it was out of Pier 24. In fact, all my RCI cruises, other than Oasis Class, have been out of 24.

I'm very surprised to hear NOS is using 29. I never knew the big ships went in that far.

In fact, if you click this link, you'll see NOS at Pier 24. Oasis is there, so it must be fairly recent:

http://www.porteverglades.net/about-us/

Thanks Paul.

When we used to go on Enchantment it was pier 25 - I remember because that's the day of the month of my birthday.

It seems like that is the same pier Navigator used last year in the winter (or was it the year before - time flies). I picture the parking lot in my head as the same walk, and luggage drop off the same. Yes, it must have been the same pier.

Gina

When we used to go on Enchantment it was pier 25 - I remember because that's the day of the month of my birthday.

It seems like that is the same pier Navigator used last year in the winter (or was it the year before - time flies). I picture the parking lot in my head as the same walk, and luggage drop off the same. Yes, it must have been the same pier.

Gina

Thanks. Time DOES fly!! Scary.

If its really a big issue does it make sense to arrive a little later and let the crowd disperse a bit?

That's what I would do. I think the poster said the crowds were gone by 3pm. Sure I'd be excited to get to the ship early and check it out and get settled in and beat the rush, but if I pulled up in a taxi and saw those lines, I would come back later.

I agree with this. Earlier, I said pier 24. It's actually the same thing. The RCI ships take up berths 24 and 25. Either way, it's the closest berth to the main channel entering/exiting Port Everglades.

Just several concerns/complaints about both the embarkation/debarkation processes at 29. Apparently it's been an issue for years, with serious organizational issues resulting in very long lines, having to stand outside for long periods of time (hour or more), etc. Someone who just boarded her yesterday had several of the same issuesl, however that very well could have been the huge amount of people in Port Everglades yesterday, who knows. Just seems like a pattern that really is just not acceptable, in my opinion. I realize things happen--inspections, illnesses, etc., but again this seems to be more the rule, not the exception.

Well I have traveled out of Port Everglades several time and had to wait in

line, but not for hours. Last year we moved from line to line, luggage scan, check in to get sea pass, and then to line to take pic for sea pass, in 35 minutes and was all inside. With the larger ships this is to be expected. Also the bag scan line always gets slowed down by the alcohol patrol!

As for that particular day mentioned, it was a holiday weekend, and it was reported that there were over 7 cruise ships in port with 55,000 passengers going through port that day! Any given weekend this port hosts 9-12 cruise ships including the Oasis and Allure that carry 5,000 passengers and crew each! Keep in mind that it is not the cruise lines, but the county, state, and federal govt involved in movement of persons and cargo from the ports. As we are still dealing with recession cuts, overtime for US Customs,Homeland Security and Sheriff department is non-existent and usually reserved for the airport. It sounds more like the people who go to Disney World in July and complain about the heat and long lines!! If you are going to travel when the majority travels then pack your patience in your carry-on! All the more reason to check- in on line and board the ship and start your vacation as early as possible!

Thanks, I agree. We usually do get to the port around 10:30 anyway, so that will still work. I have parents with health issues so I'm just concerned, as I'm sure many others are. In my previous cruises I have experienced some hellish embarkation/debarkation so this has me especially worried with the lines outside. Probably am overreacting, I realize, but I have seen a lot of disorganization from Royal's end (used to have some friends that were the Pier Coordinator Supervisors/Managers, etc. for RCI at the Port of Miami so I know that a lot of the time they are problems on their side, not necessarily the pier. Guess that's why I was rather animated and calling for Royal to at least take a look at the issues there.

Thanks for all the responses, I hope everyone has great cruises ahead!

If there is a long line, go up to the door and ask about getting wheelchairs, and if they can sit inside the building and wait until you arrive in line to where they are sitting. I'm pretty sure they will do this for your parents.

I have had to wait out in the sun at Port Everglades several times, and for up to an hour.

I have a dual purpose umbrella I always take when I travel. The underlining is a reflective fabric that provides a sunscreen and blocks some of the heat, and it's also a rain umbrella. I always pack it in the outside pocket of my suitcase. It also goes with me when we are off the ship. I have used it several times while waiting in line to get back on tenders or the ship. It's called "Eclipze"; wouldn't leave home without it.

I agree with this. Earlier, I said pier 24. It's actually the same thing. The RCI ships take up berths 24 and 25. Either way, it's the closest berth to the main channel entering/exiting Port Everglades.

And I remember it as being a nice pier. Not at all like a shed. I never had to spend much time in there either.

Our worst embarkation out of all our RCI cruises was our very first cruise. It happened to be on Navigator - out of MIAMI - March 2004. The cruise was so nice, we were able to put the embarkation behind us. And embarkation was never like that for us again.

Gina

Simple solution, get to the terminal

around 10:30-11:00, to avoid the

long lines!!

At the very least, you will have

a seat inside, so you will not be

standing out in the hot sun..

Seems the majority of cruisers show

up between 1:00 & 3:00 pm. Yet another

reason to go a day early, if at all possible.

We were at the pier at 11am and waited online for almost 2 hours. We were one of the fortunate ones who were close to the entrance door to swap out seats one the 1 bench and hide from the sun under the overhang. The cruise left late because of the mass lack of control. It had nothing to do with when people arrive, they do this every week and know howe many passenegers will be at the pier. Also need to keep in mind not all people drive to the port, most do fly. This was a RCCL problem, not a passenger issue. I have 20 sailings under my belt, 14 with RCCL and never experienced this myself. Let me add that I was traveling with a 3 and 7 year old, not to mention all of the senior cruises.

Doesn't Navigator / Liberty always use #24?

Granted, 24 is not great either...embarkation is fine, but you disembark from deck 1 and must walk outside to a common arrival building shared with #23.

Seems funny that they would want to navigate a vessel that large all the way down the channel to #29...

The problem is Liberty and Navigator being in port on the same day. Navigator has been banished to 29.

Just curious. We are able to board ship (NOS)at 1:30PM on December 18th. I originally thought it better to get there around 12noon. there are 7 ships including ours between 4 & 5:30pm leaving the port (ours being the last one) what time is a good time to get there????

Just curious. We are able to board ship (NOS)at 1:30PM on December 18th. I originally thought it better to get there around 12noon. there are 7 ships including ours between 4 & 5:30pm leaving the port (ours being the last one) what time is a good time to get there????

I'd get there early--11:30-12.

Ha, it sure is! I have been on over 30 cruises with Royal and I have never seen anything like that in my life. That would be pure hell to me!

Wow! That picture is worth many words! Even a canopy would be a help. I don't know if RCI can do anything about it, but the port should be able to.

Archived