Victory out of Puerto Rico

thompsongunner06

Had a great time,,,,will never go on this cruise again,,,so many Puerto Rico familys that were LOUD,RUDE and just blocked every door they could. The other guests and staff were great! Long lines like folks have never seen food.On debarkation day the "Natives" would not get off the ship,,,too busy stuffing the last bit of food in their guts!:eek:

Our dining room staff was the BEST,,Olga always put us in the best tables.Service was so good,,they rememberd our names and what we liked to drink. Hats off to Carnival. As soon as I finish my EMT tests this wek I will put some pics up!

Sorry you didn't like your Victory Cruise. I think it really depends on the

time of year you go. We cruise in late February, early March and have

booked for our third time for Feb 2012. Love the islands, love the ship

and the passengers were great. The Southern Caribbean islands are our

favorites and all have been on the Victory.

I wouldn't want to cruise with rude, loud people either. Try again at

a different time if possible. Would love to see your pix.

Sorry your perception of your fellow passangers was so negative. I have been wanting to do that sailing for a while and still do. I lived in PR for several years and find the "natives" as you called them to be folks that like to have a good time and are not bashfull about it at all.

i had a great time on the victory! i went this past august and there were no rude people! in fact, this cruise was my favorite one that i've been on, with the friendliest cruisers!

Same here - we went in April of this year and no problems at all!

We have sailed ou of San Juan 4 times actually just booked number 5 , I wouldnt go as far as the OP , but the Victory was our LEAST favorite of all we have sailed , I think the cheap price had it packed , and made it almost impossible to eat at the buffets. You had to eat breakfast in the dining room unless you wanted to stand in line for 30 minutes or more to eat , which turned out to be a very nice so kond of glad we had to. But I would never sail the Victory again out of San Juan not with the other choices there are.

....will never go on this cruise again,,,so many Puerto Rico familys that were LOUD,RUDE!

That's why I'll never take a cruise out of New York with SO many New Yorkers...!

Or a cruise out of Miami with so many Floridians...!

Or a cruise out of Galveston with so many Texans...!

See where I'm going with this?? Your comments are just plain ignorant and intolerant. Maybe you should've learned a little about the Puertorican culture before you went on a cruise out of Puerto Rico, where needless to say, you'd be sailing with many "natives"...:rolleyes:

The Hispanic culture in general is very lively, fun, and yes, LOUD. For many who just expect everyone in the world to act the same, it can come across as rude as you mentioned, A little bit of research, education, and culturalization (about the place you'll be visiting before you leave the confines of your state), can truly make you enjoy and embrace the cultural differences you'll find along the way, not only in Puerto Rico, but around the world...

DH and I cruised out of PR in May, 2009. We loved it so much, we are doing it again this march, 2012. If the lines at the buffet bother me, i dont go there, use the DR or order room service(shruggs). I don't let stuff like that bother me.

baf

We still rate our Victory cruise in March 2009 as our favorite. Would do it again in a second if I could find air fare for less than a gazillion $$.

Read many negative posts pre-cruise about the "natives". Last I heard they were somewhat a part of the good ole USA. Just nothing to complain about in this vein. Nothing. Nada.

If reading this string please do not let a few personal opinions influence your decision to sail the Victory. Seven ports - seven days in the absolute best islands in the Caribbean on a very nice ship. Recommend traveling a day early to get out and experience Old San Juan and the rest of the island. Found the people warm, friendly and easy to be with.

Had a great time,,,,will never go on this cruise again,,,so many Puerto Rico familys that were LOUD,RUDE and just blocked every door they could. The other guests and staff were great! Long lines like folks have never seen food.On debarkation day the "Natives" would not get off the ship,,,too busy stuffing the last bit of food in their guts!:eek:

Our dining room staff was the BEST,,Olga always put us in the best tables.Service was so good,,they rememberd our names and what we liked to drink. Hats off to Carnival. As soon as I finish my EMT tests this wek I will put some pics up!

wow this is 1 of our favorite to do we have done 4 times now

On debarkation day the "Natives" would not get off the ship...too busy stuffing the last bit of food in their guts!:eek:

REALLY?? Like Americans DON'T stuff their guts at buffets, right??

Before you're so judgmental of other cultures, look at our OWN culture. We don't have one of the highest levels of obesity, high cholesterol, and high blood pressure in the world thanks to our healthy eating habits. We are the land of the Golden Corral's, Cici's Pizza's, and other All-You-Can-Eat Buffets.

Geesh!

We did this cruise Nov 6-13 2011 and loved, it, but there were a higher percentage of ruder people on this cruise, it could be the cultural differences. We still had a great time and enjoyed it so much in fact we are going to do the Victory again next November as well.

Isn't it funny either A) people's perceptions or B) different demographics on any given cruise? We cruised the Victory in October and found none of the same thing the OP describes. I didn't experience anyone being rude, longer lines than I am used on any other ship (proportionately speaking), or anything that would make me think, "Gosh, those Puerto Rican people are rude." Either the demographic was different when we cruised, or I wasn't as offended by people's behavior, or there just wasn't anyone being as rude as the OP described.

Sorry you had a bad cruise, OP. I would do this one again when it looses some ports. It is way too port heavy for us! Come to think of it, the Miracle and her St. Kitts, St. Lucia, St. Martin with 2 sea days down and 2 back is absolutely perfect, IMHO.

REALLY?? Like Americans DON'T stuff their guts at buffets, right??

Before you're so judgmental of other cultures, look at our OWN culture. We don't have one of the highest levels of obesity, high cholesterol, and high blood pressure in the world thanks to our healthy eating habits. We are the land of the Golden Corral's, Cici's Pizza's, and other All-You-Can-Eat Buffets.

Geesh!

REALLY?? Like Texans DON'T stuff their guts at buffets, right??

What nationality do you think Puerto Ricans are exactly, Margie?

I have sailed twice out of San Juan and loved it. I want to be in the warmth and humidity when I get on the ship so I love PR for that reason. We did not notice any rude or loud people! As far as people stuffing their faces I don't enjoy seeing anyone stuff their face no matter where they call home.

I can understand the OP's viewpoint. Back in 2005 we sailed on the Destiny out of San Juan and it turned out to be a Spanish Fiesta. The prices were so low that the Puerto Ricans were booking last minute and the ship seemed to be predominantly Spanish speaking passengers.

There was a Puerto Rican comedian that did most of his act in Spanish (sometimes I thought he was making fun of us 'Gringos' LOL). The Latin band playing in the club every night was pure Latino, also, and played heavy Latin & Spanish music. Since we love dancing to latin music, my DW and I had a blast with everyone else on the dance floor.

Yes we had a great time, but every so often we felt like the minority and opened our eyes to what others might be feeling on other cruises.

DH and I cruised out of PR in May, 2009. We loved it so much, we are doing it again this march, 2012. If the lines at the buffet bother me, i dont go there, use the DR or order room service(shruggs). I don't let stuff like that bother me.

baf

Good for you! Totally agree. We are doing the Victory in August and can't wait!

That's why I'll never take a cruise out of New York with SO many New Yorkers...!

Or a cruise out of Miami with so many Floridians...!

Or a cruise out of Galveston with so many Texans...!

See where I'm going with this?? Your comments are just plain ignorant and intolerant. Maybe you should've learned a little about the Puertorican culture before you went on a cruise out of Puerto Rico, where needless to say, you'd be sailing with many "natives"...:rolleyes:

The Hispanic culture in general is very lively, fun, and yes, LOUD. For many who just expect everyone in the world to act the same, it can come across as rude as you mentioned, A little bit of research, education, and culturalization (about the place you'll be visiting before you leave the confines of your state), can truly make you enjoy and embrace the cultural differences you'll find along the way, not only in Puerto Rico, but around the world...

And they can be rude......Yes, the culture is different. I think the OP knows that. Not all Hispanic culture is the same. I lived in Spain for a bit and found that Spaniards are less "loud" than the culture in Mexico, Puerto Rico, etc. Also for those that don't know, Puerto Rico is a part of the US and it is very rude to call them natives or otherwise consider them foreigners.

Sometimes I wonder on here if the people that are so rude to posters on CC, are the same ones who are rude to everyone on the ship? :rolleyes:

Just got off the Victory a couple weeks ago and loved it. Yes, a lot of Hispanics, but none were rude or boisterous. Our taxi driver even mentioned that he was heading over to the Pan Am pier after dropping us off b/c there were so many locals on the cruise they didn't need taxi's. Enjoyed this cruise immensely! And I agree with the posted who said don't let a few narrow minded opinions sway you about this cruise - I would do it again tomorrow!

It's all about what you're comfortable with. If you don't like "feeling like a minority," then you should probably stick with the psychocentric tourists' cruises out of Florida.

It's best to enter these situations with an open mind. I thought people went on vacation because they wanted to experience other cultures, but apparently a lot of people cruise because by day they want to lay on the beach in a Caribbean island, and by night they want to go back on the ship with "their own kind."

Wow I can't believe you wrote this. I am sure if you had issues there would have been a more sensitive way to voice your concerns. This smacks of ignorance to me.

We sailed out of PR on RCI last Feb and loved everything about it.

Archived