Barcelona Post-Cruise Hotel Recommendations

marwood

Looking for a hotel stay for one night between the cruise port and airport in Barcelona. Not too expensive, nice neighborhood that we can walk around during the day.

There's a 'search' button for the forums that will bring up dozens if not hundreds of threads about Barcelona Hotels.

Regencia Colon (3 star) or Colon (4 star). Right on the cathedral square, easy walk to everything in the Gothic Quarter. Great staff, very helpful with everything from tour & restaurant suggestions to arranging taxis, storing luggage, etc.

Here's a picture of both--Colon front left, Regencia center background. (I'll add that the bank lobby at front right had great ATMs, too!)

http://www.flickr.com/photos/quercus...57626778328157

And a view from our window at the Colon.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/quercus...7626778328157/

(There is a review on tripadvisor that states that some rooms have a view of the "Gaudi cathedral"--they are mistaken. This is the old cathedral, not the Sagrada Familia--though both are covered with construction materials and the name "Gaudi" is visible on the museum in the foreground!)

We stayed at Hotel Atlantis which is just a couple of blocks away from Las Ramblas. We got a price of 80E a night which included breakfast. Nothing fancy but it was clean and had a mini bar along with a safe. There were several groups that stayed there and we all agreed that it was a great place for the money.

Barcelona is a large city with TONS of great hotels in all price ranges! There are many previous threads on this topic. People have stayed in many different places so if you only go by the answers you get here you may overlook somewhere great.

I always think that for a first visit , staying somewhere near Placa Catalunya, the main square is a good idea.

I have stayed twice at the Onix Rambla on Rambla Catalunya(NOT the same as "las ramblas) which is a lovely pedestrian street above Placa Catalunya.

To me "las ramblas" is too touristy so you see everyone has a different opinion.

You'll be hard pressed to better Marina View B&B.

Just around the corner from La Rambla. Safe' date=' clean welcoming, lovely views, right opposite marina with cafe's restaurants etc.

Wouldn't stay anywhere else when in Barcelona.[/quote']

Agreed, we stayed there last year.

We recently stayed at the Royal Ramblas http://www.royalramblashotel.com/en/home/?r=3991001&gclid=CNWTo7Ka6awCFacEQAodAFN7KA at the top of La Ramblas. It was perfect for us as it was a block away from Plaça de Catalunya and it's shopping district. The Plaça is also the starting point for all three hop on hop off bus tours.

We just spent a few nights at Hotel Universal Barcelona a couple of weeks ago, precruise. It was very reasonably priced (98Euro/night that included breakfast). Hotel was modern with all normal amenities (large bathroom, tub/shower combo, shampoo/conditioner, hair dryer, etc.). It was about a 10 minute walk to Las Ramblas and in a very safe neighborhood. It was about 5-10 minutes to the port and about 15-20 minutes to the airport.

I was going to ask this same question and noticed that someone else had already asked it.... I will be a first time cruiser out of Barcelona and also am looking for a place to stay the night before our cruise.

How far is the airport from the pier and what is close to the area?

Thank you so much for any advice!!! :)

I was going to ask this same question and noticed that someone else had already asked it.... I will be a first time cruiser out of Barcelona and also am looking for a place to stay the night before our cruise.

How far is the airport from the pier and what is close to the area?

Thank you so much for any advice!!! :)

There is nothing around the cruise pier. It is actually quite a route to get from the port entrance to the ship.

It is about 1/2 hr on a good day (18 or so kilometers) from the ship to the airport.

I suggest you stay right on Las Ramblas. The taxi from there to the ship is about 10 euros plus luggage fee. The port is very near the bottom of Las Ramblas.

Regencia Colon (3 star) or Colon (4 star). Right on the cathedral square, easy walk to everything in the Gothic Quarter. Great staff, very helpful with everything from tour & restaurant suggestions to arranging taxis, storing luggage, etc.

Here's a picture of both--Colon front left, Regencia center background. (I'll add that the bank lobby at front right had great ATMs, too!)

http://www.flickr.com/photos/quercus...57626778328157

And a view from our window at the Colon.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/quercus...7626778328157/

(There is a review on tripadvisor that states that some rooms have a view of the "Gaudi cathedral"--they are mistaken. This is the old cathedral, not the Sagrada Familia--though both are covered with construction materials and the name "Gaudi" is visible on the museum in the foreground!)

Thank you so much for posting Pictures!!! This will be my first ime in Spain so I have much research to do. Your photos were comforting. ~Jenny

There is nothing around the cruise pier. It is actually quite a route to get from the port entrance to the ship.

It is about 1/2 hr on a good day (18 or so kilometers) from the ship to the airport.

I suggest you stay right on Las Ramblas. The taxi from there to the ship is about 10 euros plus luggage fee. The port is very near the bottom of Las Ramblas.

Thank you so much for the info!!! I assume the easiest way to get to the hotel from the airport is by taxi??? I have looked into the train, but will have my 82 year old grandmother with me and am thinking that might not be the best method for her?

Thank you again for any information and advice!! :)

Thanks for the tons of info on Barcelona hotels here and at TA. I was wondering if I could narrow down my question to this: are certain hotels, or areas, more likely to allow early check-in instead of the 3:00-4:00 I see often? We are traveling July 2012.

Or is early check-in going to be hit or miss and depending on capacity? I'm just wondering if some hotels are known for allowing this more often, because after 11 days on the Ruby (Venice-Barcelona) we are going to be wiped out.

Thanks!

Thanks for the tons of info on Barcelona hotels here and at TA. I was wondering if I could narrow down my question to this: are certain hotels, or areas, more likely to allow early check-in instead of the 3:00-4:00 I see often? We are traveling July 2012.

Or is early check-in going to be hit or miss and depending on capacity? I'm just wondering if some hotels are known for allowing this more often, because after 11 days on the Ruby (Venice-Barcelona) we are going to be wiped out.

Thanks!

We stayed at the Hotel Jazz, perenially in the top 10 on sister website tripadvisor, for three nights post-cruise in May 2010 and got early check-in. Recent reviews on tripadvisor seem to indicate that is common there. We plan to stay again in October. Great location and very large rooms for Europe.

We're cruising from Barcelona in October 2012 and will look at this B&B based on the recommendations. Thanks!

The view on their website of the Marina is taken from the "Captains Cabin" room, which is where we were. It was excellent for location, breakfast in the room was great, can't say enough good things. On cruise day, it's a 2½ block walk to the Columbus Statue where you can grab the [blue] port bus for €2

• 2 weeks later...
The view on their website of the Marina is taken from the "Captains Cabin" room, which is where we were. It was excellent for location, breakfast in the room was great, can't say enough good things. On cruise day, it's a 2½ block walk to the Columbus Statue where you can grab the [blue] port bus for €2

We usually stay at the Colon or Regencia Colon when in Barcelona. We have often heard good reports of Marina View and may consider it next time.

As you have stayed there you may be able to answer a question I am having difficulty getting an answer to.

I have mobility problems and cannot go up or down stairs. From photos I have seen it looks like there are steps going into the hotel. Is this the case? Also, are there any steps inside the hotel?

Often, hotels do not give the correct information on this. We have been caught out before which is why we tend stick to hotels we know.

Archived