Ice Skating Question

acbat1

For those of you who have gone ice skating on the ships and/or seen the ice skating show did you bring a coat. We're cruising on FOS next week and since we're coming from Atlanta we probably won't have anything but light jackets. I have little ones that I would love to take ice skating but I never thought about making sure I had something warm for them to wear.

While the ice is 32F, the ambient temperature is way above that. The ice skating rink is about half or less the size of a land based skating rink so it is not that large. As pointed out already, you will be exercising by skating and will build up a sweat so don't be too concerned about the temperature but do wear a long sleeved top, pants (jeans?) and socks. The pants and socks are required by the ship. There are only a few times to skate during sea days so be aware of the very limited schedule as published in the daily Compass.

For those of you who have gone ice skating on the ships and/or seen the ice skating show did you bring a coat. We're cruising on FOS next week and since we're coming from Atlanta we probably won't have anything but light jackets. I have little ones that I would love to take ice skating but I never thought about making sure I had something warm for them to wear.

You won't need a coat while watching the ice show or skating. Just have the kids wear long sleeves and I would suggest you bring gloves or mittens if you have them so their hands won't get too cold when they fall. It will also protect their hands from the blade of the skate too.

• 2 weeks later...

we are going on Navigator in Feb with our 5 year old

i know she is to young for rockwall- but hoping skates come in small enough sizes

was anyone been on Navigator in past few months who know about their boot sizes?? thanks

The ice skating ring on Oasis is the seventh the size of a regulation ice hockey rink. I would gather the one on the Freedom of the Seas would be slightly smaller. During the ice skating sessions they only allow up to 50 skaters during a 30 minute session.

My kids and I have gone ice skating on both the Oasis and the Independence and its a lot of fun. It's not ice skating on a full size rink at home but it's still a blast.

I agree with reallyitsmema...bring gloves or mittens. Also the ice tends to melt very fast so it's very wet on the ice and if you do fall...plan on having wet pants.

As an adult, if you're going to skate with your kids, just use caution.

1. The ship-supplied skates aren't that sharp, so for those who do know how to skate, stopping and turning are a bit more difficult.

2. There are all levels of abilities at the open skates. That said, you'll have people cutting in front of you, falling all over the ice, tripping, etc. Just go slow. I saw a full sized man wipe out and land on top of a small child, because the kids wiped out right in front of him and he wasn't able to stop in time. Not a pretty sight seeing the kid screaming in pain, but really there was no way the man could have reacted in time.

This is one of the activities on the ship where a parent's "parenting skills" need to be in tune.

we are going on Navigator in Feb with our 5 year old

i know she is to young for rockwall- but hoping skates come in small enough sizes

was anyone been on Navigator in past few months who know about their boot sizes?? thanks

Check out the RCCL web page - In the FAQ section it lists the sizes for ice skates. We're bringing my 7 year old grandaughter and had the same question.

I was told by a friend that if you bring your own skates, you get to skate more. Is this still the case? If so, I may have to go digging in the attic!

Yes, if you bring your skates you can skate during the "advanced" skate time. There are less people on the ice then since usually very few people bring their own skates. If you are driving to the port and have the space, throw them in.:)

Archived