sea sickness on Celebrity/go with bigger ship?

minidog

My friends and I were on the Radiance of the Seas a few years ago and one of friends and I were seasick the entire cruise. I have been on several cruises and this is the first time I felt so sick and had a hard time explaining that it is not typical. the cruise was on the Pacific side going down to Cabo during Spring time.

We are all hoping now to go on another cruise this spring and she is very hesitant due to her prior seasickness. I have suggested going on a big ship like the Oasis or Epic so that we can,t feel the motion but our friends are hoping to go on the Eclipse or Solstice in the Caribbean. How bad is the motion on these ships and can anyone help me compare them to the bigger ships?

sorry for the long post

Size really isn't the issue here. The hull design has a much greater impact on motion sickness.

Sailing on something like a Vista Class ship will be much more comfortable than being on a Grand Class ship for the same weather conditions for example.

If you are, or feel you will be, prone to seasickness, you should prepare beforehand. On Celebrity you can go to the purers desk and get seasickness (mecylazine) tablets. They are free for the asking. TAKE THEM BEFORE YOU SET SAIL. Once underway and if you start to get sick, it may be tooo late to take them and get the proper results. After the initial dose I think it is one tablet every 12 hours, but again you should be the judge as to how any medications effects you compared to the end result from taking this or any medication.

I have been on some of the biggest ships in the world, and we were tossed around like a cork in water. And then I've been on much smaller ships that handled rough seas very nicely. I was on a Crystal ship where the seas were very rough, but we never would have known if we didn't see the green water washing over the windows on deck 5. A lot has to do with the design of the hull and how far it goes into the water. That, plus waves vs swells. Swells are much rougher than waves and you'll feel those things more than just basic waves.

Just off the Silhouette and never had a problem with seasickness. I did take wristbands with me, but did not have to use them. Hubby, ex-Navy man, prone to seasickness, took Bonine every day just in case. He did not experience seasickness either. We were midship on Deck 8.

We were also on the Silhouette. We had a bit of rockiness going down to the Caribbean but nothing too crazy. I brought Bonine, Ginger Pills, Wristbands for my wife and she only needed to take Bonine and Ginger and those were just for preventative reasons. Honestly, I really don't think ship size matters if you run into a terrible storm. If you want to be safe just bring some meds, take it before the ship sails and you should be okay. Also if you want to be in a more "stable" part of the ship, book a cabin in the middle of the ship (avoid the high decks on the bow and aft parts of the ship).

I'll start with a few statistics:

Oasis: 225,000 GRT

QM2: 150,000 GRT

Solstice: 122,000 GRT

Radiance: 90,090 GRT

HAL Prinsendam: 38,000 GRT

Wind Surf: 14,745 GRT

As others have said, hull design is more important than size and that has been consistent with my own experience. I have sailed transatlantic on the Wind Surf and the ride was fine (I was probably somewhat lucky with the weather but I doubt if the ocean was a glassy pond for 2 full weeks), and I have been on the Prinsendam in storms so rough the outer decks were closed. That was a bouncy ride but not really bad. QM2 is excellent in rough seas and has a superb hull design but even it can get a rough ride in extreme weather.

The most important factor may be hull design but the direction of the waves is probably an equal factor. Waves that mean nothing on a following sea can make life miserable when coming from abeam.

I wont have my first Celebrity sailing for another 5 months so can not speak from personal experience either for or against their hull designs. Whatever happens though, Solstice is 30% larger than the Radiance so I'm definitely not worried about the ship being too small.

Roy

I find that the larger the ship the more likely I'll get seasick. But I think that more research is needed to be sure. ;)

I'm not sure about the first part of your statement (actually I doubt it) but I definitely second the implications.

Roy

My friends and I were on the Radiance of the Seas a few years ago and one of friends and I were seasick the entire cruise. I have been on several cruises and this is the first time I felt so sick and had a hard time explaining that it is not typical. the cruise was on the Pacific side going down to Cabo during Spring time.

We are all hoping now to go on another cruise this spring and she is very hesitant due to her prior seasickness. I have suggested going on a big ship like the Oasis or Epic so that we can,t feel the motion but our friends are hoping to go on the Eclipse or Solstice in the Caribbean. How bad is the motion on these ships and can anyone help me compare them to the bigger ships?

sorry for the long post

Our TA books our balcony stateroom mid-ship because that is suppose to help with any motion. In saying that on my very first cruise, I had spoke with my doctor and told him of my concern. He issued a prescription for the patch, in case I needed it. I did not put it on immediately. While in the dining room, curtains closed, I started to feel the motion of the ocean and had to leave the dining room. Went back to our stateroom, went out on the balcony and started to feel better. Hubby brought dinner in for me. After that I placed the patch on. Didn't have any problem with side effects after that. Now I put the patch on before flying down to FL or a day before boarding the ship in Bayonne.

We were on the Oasis and ended up skirting Hurricane Tomas, we felt the motion of that ocean leaving out of Naussa for a small period of time but again, I had a patch on.

Thie year we were on the Silhouette and had to sail near Tropical Storm Sean. Again we had rough seas, I didn't get ill (gotta love that patch) hubby was a little green!

I would say be prepared for any sickness and don't sail during hurricane season.

I have a theory. (not scientific either)

Water in the Pacific off the coast generally has a very long frequency pattern.... and the ships ride them kinda like a rocking horse.

Over on the Atlantic/ Caribbean side I thinks the frequencies are shorter and for some reason the current puts in a side to side motion just to make things more interesting.

Regardless I agree it's more the type of hull you are sailing than how big the ship is.

Best ride ever was on the old RCCL Song of America ..smaller ship (still looked like a ship not a hotel) off the west coast to Mexico. Ride was just like a rocking horse but no sideways motion...which is what gets to me for a day until I get sea legs.

The design of the ship does matter, but what matters the most is the seas. You cannot predict them - you can only go by history as to how the seas might be in a certain place at a certain time. One of my most smooth cruises ever was on the same itinerary where you experienced problems (west coast of Mexico). One of my worst cruises ever (25-30' waves) was on a trip from Florida to San Juan - and yet I have been on that same itinerary and had the seas smooth as glass. The difference between a mid-sized RCI ship, or the huge RCi ships, or one of Celebrity's ships will truly be fairly minimal when all is said and done. Research your itinerary, the best time of year, pick a low level mid-ship cabin, and most important - be prepared ahead of time.

I've been on a ship with 206 passengers (Seabourn Spirit) and 2 larger ships (2500-3000 pax) most recently the Celebrity Equinox.

I got seasick on both types LOL. I did not, however, get seasick on the Equinox, but I attribute it to taking ginger daily from start to end of my trip (though some don't believe in alternative meds).

I love this class of ship.

It really will depend on the seas/weather/time of year/location etc. I say book the itinerary you want, and try not to worry too much about it. There's nothing you can do about it, once on the ship LOL.

Archived