London and Heathrow hotels

silkman

I know there are countless hotels in London and at Heathrow. We will be staying in London prior to our cruise and Heathrow following the cruise.

I would appreciate any positive feedback from those who have had experience with either location. We like a quiet room and fairly upscale(don't mean to sound snooty) hotel.

Thanks.

I know there are countless hotels in London and at Heathrow. We will be staying in London prior to our cruise and Heathrow following the cruise.

I would appreciate any positive feedback from those who have had experience with either location. We like a quiet room and fairly upscale(don't mean to sound snooty) hotel.

Thanks.

In London proper, we always recommend the Rubens:

http://www.rubenshotel.com

It is equally well located for sightseeing or for a night in the West End, and the Concierge service is superb.

We have stayed twice at the Radisson Edwardian Heathrow Hotel following cruises and found it quite nice. Modern well kept rooms and the Hoppa bus stops in front of the hotel for transport to the terminals. They also periodically run some fantastic specials which usually require non refundable prepayment.

We seem to have stayed all over London...

We tend to look at only 4 stars and up...Not that we're "snooty", we just have certain standards and don't mind paying a little more to get something we will be comfortable in...Also, in London, one must pay attention to Air Conditionaing...many hotels don't have it...we had a miserable stay one August in what was otherwise supposed to be a very nice hotel, nut no AC!!!

We've stayed once at Heathrow--I usually don't like to stay there--feel sort of away from things, have only stayed there because of a late flight in...My one time at Heathrow, we stayed at the Marriott Windsor/Heathrow...

http://www.marriott.com/hotels/travel/lhrsl-heathrow-windsor-marriott-hotel/

Took it because we got it cheap on Hotwire...It didn't really matter that much to us where we stayed at Heathrow as long as it was convenient...and since we were renting a car, free shuttles or walking distance from T5 wasn't important...The hotel was nice, nothing special...price was right...

In London, we've stayed at all sorts of places...

Stayed at the Rubens twice and really like it...

http://www.rubenshotel.com/

Very British, convenient location walking distance to Victoria Station and a lot of sights...Be wary, Some rooms are very small...others larger...Very good breakfast...

Last visit, we stayed at the Mayfair:

http://www.radissonedwardian.com/london-hotel-gb-w1j-8lt/gbmayfai

Very nice...Large modern room...Short one block walk to Green Park Underground Station, nice walk to Picadilly Circus, Covent Garden, etc. I actually enjoyed the surrounding area more than around the Rubens...

Next July, we have opted for the brand new Park Plaza Westminster Bridge:

http://www.parkplaza.com/london-hotel-gb-se1-7ut/gbwestmi

Right across the bridge from Parliament...near the London Eye...just opened...

I don't know when you are going, but be aware that this coming summer in London will be tough--The Olympics are there and prices are up and availability limited...It's why we made our reservations at the Park Plaza several months ago now...

Good luck...

We love One Aldwych, which is right next to Covent Garden and the Theatre District.

Modern luxury, with a wonderful subterranean swimming pool that has underwater music.

Look for their discounted deals, which can make their rooms more affordable (go for the larger rooms with huge sunken bathtubs). Excellent restaurants too.

Big fans of Hotel 41 - right next door to, and managed by the same company as the Rubens Hotel that's recommended above.

We have also had a great stay in the Hotel Goring, in the same vicinity. There are a few pics of our room under the London to Nice Sept 2010 pics 1 link in the signature below. Hard to say which one we liked better; both were wonderful.

Both of these are on the smaller side, very elegant, breakfasts to die for... Both located by Buckingham Palace, within walking distance to Victoria Station, very convenient. You can get there via the Heathrow Express to Paddington and a cab from there costs less than 10 quid.

A notch below but still nice was the Radisson Edwardian Hampshire, right at Leicester Square (though different from a nearby property, the Radisson Edwardian Leicester Square).

Now I have to stop reminiscing about these wonderful hotels, before I do something silly and book a weekend in London on the spur of the moment!

We've stayed a couple of times at Hilton Trafalgar (hard to be more central).

Each time we booked it in January for Hilton's annual (usually) 50% off promotion - excellent value. It's not very expensive even without the promotion. Great roof top bar with excellent views, wonderful breakfast (if you are Gold or above, it's free), close to everything.

Have stayed over 100 nights at the Radisson Edwardian Hampshire and have reserved for 35 nights in 2012. Although the hotel is in need of some refurbishments these will occur in 2012. You can't beat the location for walking to many theatres, museums and restaurants. You are also steps away from China Town and three underground stations and the South Bank. The staff at the Hampshire is the best we have encountered in all the other hotels in which we have stayed in 37 visits to London:)

We seem to have stayed all over London...

We tend to look at only 4 stars and up...Not that we're "snooty", we just have certain standards and don't mind paying a little more to get something we will be comfortable in...Also, in London, one must pay attention to Air Conditionaing...many hotels don't have it...we had a miserable stay one August in what was otherwise supposed to be a very nice hotel, nut no AC!!!

We've stayed once at Heathrow--I usually don't like to stay there--feel sort of away from things, have only stayed there because of a late flight in...My one time at Heathrow, we stayed at the Marriott Windsor/Heathrow...

http://www.marriott.com/hotels/travel/lhrsl-heathrow-windsor-marriott-hotel/

Took it because we got it cheap on Hotwire...It didn't really matter that much to us where we stayed at Heathrow as long as it was convenient...and since we were renting a car, free shuttles or walking distance from T5 wasn't important...The hotel was nice, nothing special...price was right...

In London, we've stayed at all sorts of places...

Stayed at the Rubens twice and really like it...

http://www.rubenshotel.com/

Very British, convenient location walking distance to Victoria Station and a lot of sights...Be wary, Some rooms are very small...others larger...Very good breakfast...

Last visit, we stayed at the Mayfair:

http://www.radissonedwardian.com/london-hotel-gb-w1j-8lt/gbmayfai

Very nice...Large modern room...Short one block walk to Green Park Underground Station, nice walk to Picadilly Circus, Covent Garden, etc. I actually enjoyed the surrounding area more than around the Rubens...

Next July, we have opted for the brand new Park Plaza Westminster Bridge:

Right across the bridge from Parliament...near the London Eye...just opened...

I don't know when you are going, but be aware that this coming summer in London will be tough--The Olympics are there and prices are up and availability limited...It's why we made our reservations at the Park Plaza several months ago now...

Good luck...

Do you happen to have the phone # for The Rubens or Red Carnation Hotels?..I've sumitted my request on their website reservation form several times , but only get an automated response with no follow-up.

Thanks

Do you happen to have the phone # for The Rubens or Red Carnation Hotels?..I've sumitted my request on their website reservation form several times , but only get an automated response with no follow-up.

Thanks

This is from the Rubens Hotel website - it isn't under the contact us link so it was a little hidden: Here is the link and what it says - give it a try.

http://www.rubenshotel.com/company-information/telephone-bookings

For reservations:

from within the UK - 020 7958 7730 (calls charged at local rate)

from outside the UK - +44 (0) 20 7958 7730 (standard call charges apply)

Worldwide Reservations Service

Wherever you are in the world you can contact our central reservations service toll free, operated by SynXis:

Country

Number

USA / Canada

1 877 955 1515

...Next July, we have opted for the brand new Park Plaza Westminster Bridge:

Right across the bridge from Parliament...near the London Eye...just opened....

We stayed there this past August prior to the Dover to Rome Marina cruise. As you said, very new, modern look. Our room had a great view of the bridge and Big Ben/Parliament. The main negative was the lack of storage space - we had to live out of our suitcases. Our Marina penthouse suite had more storage. There's also a hospital near by, so we got a lot of siren noise.

I am very pickey when it comes to hotels. I worry about cleanliness, bed bugs, all sorts of things. We stayed at the JW Marriott Grosvenor House and LOVED it. It was beautiful and I feel very comfortable recommending it. Make sure if you stay there to book the breakfast with your room. They serve a wonderful huge breakfast that lasted us until dinner time.

Enjoy!

We stayed at the Sheraton near Heathrow Airport before a flight back to the states. It was clean and had free wifi downstairs. We are members of the Starwoods Program and it was only about 3000 points for a free night - you get 10000 points just for getting the Starwoods Amex card and they have a great rewards program. We stayed at the Picadilly Meridian for a few nights before the cruise, as well - 10000 points a night. The hotel had good air conditioning and a great location, but was nothing special, but considering it was about $400 a night to stay there, 10000 points was a great return on a rewards redemption.

Thanks.

I can't offer you a suggestion for a particular hotel but depending on how you travel to and from Heathrow for example location might be an issue. For example most hotels in Heathrow do not have complimentary airport shuttles and taxi's can add up. However, if you have a rental car that will change things.

I like Chelsea and Kensington areas because it's relatively close to Heathrow. I like checking hotels that make using the Heathrow Express a possibility. And whilst it's not upscale I did notice a new Premier Inn Terminal 5 under construction which I think is good for a over niter.

The Sofitel Heathrow in Terminal 5 is the best. It is really upscale and easy to get too as well as travel into London. You can read the reviews on Tripadvisor. I stay there all of the time and it's like staying in an osasis. You would nver know you were in an airport hotel.

Archived