RCCL taking cues from the Airlines!

gzyteck

Just read the following....

Ka-ching? Splendour of the Seas‘ Viking Crown Lounge (VCL), the circular top-ship space easily identifiable on every Royal Caribbean vessel, has been transformed into a for-fee tapas bar. The 15-year-old ship recently emerged from a five-week, $50 million refurb that included the addition of iPads in every cabin, a nursery and a half dozen new dining options, four of which are for-fee.

Gimme a break, just up the cruise fare and STOP all the fees!

There is nothing stopping you from treating the Viking Crown as it has always been and just sitting there enjoying a drink and the scenery. If you don't want to order food and pay the extra cost then don't. :confused:

I agree.

I would rather see an increase in prices and have better service and better quality food.

And I don't want RC to imitate NCL. if I wanted to sail with NCL I would book a cruise with them.

And I like the smaller ships, Radiance and Voyager class. I don't want all of the bells and whistles. I hope RC rethinks all of these changes and keeps a variety in their fleet.

I have no issues with it at all and actually like that RCI is adding more venues for dining and such. All of this is optional. If you don't want to spend more money then don't. Eat in the venues with no charge. RCI has announced that as each ship goes through their revitalization, they will have more specialty dining restaurants added. It will vary by ship.

I have no issues with it at all and actually like that RCI is adding more venues for dining and such. All of this is optional. If you don't want to spend more money then don't. Eat in the venues with no charge. RCI has announced that as each ship goes through their revitalization, they will have more specialty dining restaurants added. It will vary by ship.

I have no issue with it either provided it doesn't make the viking crown an area that is off limits unless you pay to get in. It is a nice quiet area during the day with awesome views. I would hate to see that lost. I don't spend a lot of time there during the day but is is an area that my parents really enjoy.

Ka-ching? Splendour of the Seas‘ Viking Crown Lounge (VCL), the circular top-ship space easily identifiable on every Royal Caribbean vessel, has been transformed into a for-fee tapas bar. The 15-year-old ship recently emerged from a five-week, $50 million refurb that included the addition of iPads in every cabin, a nursery and a half dozen new dining options, four of which are for-fee.

I'm confused... are you saying that the Viking Crown Lounge had free food in it prior to this change? I haven't really read that anywhere previously. It just sounds like they added to it, not changed something that already existed.... much like Vintages on other ships already does.

The Viking Crown lounge did not offer free food. This is something that was added. One can still enjoy the lounge and not order a thing. They have always served alcohol in the VCL but one was never forced to buy it to use the lounge.

I don't wouldn't have any issue with this.

Just read the following....

No one is forcing you to pay for anything????:rolleyes::confused:

No one is forcing you to pay for anything????:rolleyes::confused:

Yeah, I'm not sure what the problem is. They never had food before so now you can get it but you have to pay for it. Where's the problem? If you don't want to pay, don't order it. It's only a short walk to the buffet.:confused:

Why up the price for everyone? This is logistically the best way for them to do business. If they up the prices they won't be as competitive - if you choose to pay extra for a special venue you are free to do so. But if someone else doesn't want to then why should they be forced to pay for it?

That Mean RCCL again. How dare they offer this. Now they went to far.

Royal Caribbean International today announced seven new dining packages for guests to enjoy the variety of speciality restaurants available onboard Oasis of the Seas, Allure of the Seas, Radiance of the Seas and Splendour of the Seas. Guests can take advantage of the new speciality dining packages, which range from $50 to $120 per guest, and save at least 25 per cent compared to the sum of the individual restaurants’ cover charges.

How dare they make it more affordable. (LOL)

http://www.breakingtravelnews.com/news/article/new-royal-caribbean-dining-packages-offer-speciality-restaurant-variety/

I don't understand the problem either???:confused: I love all of the options. They haven't taken away anything, just added more options which no one is forcing you to take. We started cruising 18 years ago and prices were about double what they are now. There was a MDR and a buffet- period. No other choices at all.

How dare they lower the price of cruising and now add options with FRESH, MADE TO ORDER food! Oh the travesity!

Apparently most of you don't seem to understand that RCCL is supposed to give us everything on board, all-inclusive with the cruise fee. Including all of our photos, shore excursions, bar tabs, souvineers, dining in specialty restaurants, and even a chef to prepare dinner on our private balcony, if requested.

And we shouldn't have to pay more than $700.00 pp for all of this.

Then we can all sit around and talk about everything they did wrong when they go bankrupt.

Apparently most of you don't seem to understand that RCCL is supposed to give us everything on board, all-inclusive with the cruise fee. Including all of our photos, shore excursions, bar tabs, souvineers, dining in specialty restaurants, and even a chef to prepare dinner on our private balcony, if requested.

And we shouldn't have to pay more than $700.00 pp for all of this.

Then we can all sit around and talk about everything they did wrong when they go bankrupt.

fresh_duh_2.jpg

Who knew???

I agree. Ships have to offer low booking fees to remain competitive and then hopefully get you to spend the $$ once on board.But it's your money and your choice.

More specialty restaurants the better, turn the MDR into a memory of what it once was, and have you pay for decent food and dress codes.

I think they should start charging for room service like hotels do, and perhaps charge for the shows in the theater to help keep the fares down and attract more passengers. :rolleyes:

I'm not agreeing with the OP, but be careful! Airlines used to offer hot meals on all their flights, and now your lucky to get peanuts! It's all about cutting costs, and somewhere there is a whole room of bean counters with MBA's dreaming of different ways.

Most cruiselines have added for fee restaurants on board it is the way of generating more revenue to keep themselves profitable and return$$ to the stock holders.and to offer more choices which I happen to like.

Your upset on something they never had before and added as well as charging for. What is included in your cruise fare is still there so not sure what your upset about?? And raising prices to have all the restaurants included do not believe you will have many takers on here for that, the price increase for that would scare most away.

On the ships I've been on the Viking Crown lounge seems to be totally under utilized.

Part of what make sit a very peaceful place to read and.or listen to iPod and occasionally just gaze out at ocean - especially on sea days. One of my favorite places. Addition of food would not bother me as I probably would not utilize the service. But if it attracted a lot of people I would probably have to find a new quiet place. My guess is if it attracts people it will be later in afternoon at pre-dinner cocktail or glass of wine time.

I don't understand why some are so upset. They (RCCL) took an amazing venue that offered drinks (for a fee) and music ("free") but no food free or fee, and now a passenger can go to that same venue and enjoy drinks (for a fee), music ("free") and food for a fee. The venue itself is unchanged in that a passenger can still sit in a beautiful area watching the ocean go by while choosing if they want to spend any money. Exactly as it has always been. Untwist your knickers and realize it is your choice whether to spend any money. RCCL is simply giving you the opportunity to do so. That's called running a business. I personally think it's a great idea. Take care, Jim

I have noticed that no matter what a member may complain about on these boards, they are attacked for being fools who just don't understand anything and made to feel embarrassed for even posting their views.

For me, I believe that the more "pay for food" venues they have, the worse the quality will be in the MDR and the WJ. In order to seduce you into paying for good food, they have to offer inferior food in the free venues. There ya go, now "attack!!!"

Archived