First Coral Sea Cyclone for the season

Looks like we may have our first Coral Sea cyclone for this year's wet season. Bureau of Met has it pegged as a high chance (over 50%) of forming tomorrow (Wednesday) but perhaps staying well out in the Pacific to annoy Vanuatu and the northern Tasman Sea.

Just what we need over Christmas.:eek:

The Met service here in NZ said today we would have a fine Christmas

but then for the New Year we could be in for some rough stuff.

That must be the cyclone they are talking about.

They are bad news if they drift this far down.:eek:

Barry's 3 Golden rules for cruising in Australian waters.

1. never cruise north of Brisbane in Summer

2. Never cruise south of Brisbane in Winter

3. Never cross the great Australian Bight from East to West at any time.

Barry

...... Never cross the great Australian Bight from East to West at any time.

Barry

Yep, I have had that one explained to me by DH. RAN wisdom (ha ha, just realised what a contradiction in terms that is :D )

OK - I give up. What's the Great Australian Bight? Or maybe I should say "where".

"The Great Australian Bight is a large bight, or open bay, off the central and western portions of the southern coastline of mainland Australia."

Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_Australian_Bight

230px-Great_Australian_Bight_map.png

Hope this helps :)

1. never cruise north of Brisbane in Summer

2. Never cruise south of Brisbane in Winter

3. Never cross the great Australian Bight from East to West at any time.

Barry

Barry your a very wise man. I had read that there was going to be a storm that maybe would reach a cyclone yesterday.

Debsta - Hopefully it doesn't affect your cruise.

Yep, I have had that one explained to me by DH. RAN wisdom (ha ha, just realised what a contradiction in terms that is :D )

So, can you pass the explanation on please...I assume it is something to do with prevailing winds / swells ? Or am I wrong?

We are sailing this way on Arcadia in March, want to know what we might encounter!

I hope the cyclone doesn't develop and all the Christmas / New Year cruisers can enjoy their cruises.

"The Great Australian Bight is a large bight, or open bay, off the central and western portions of the southern coastline of mainland Australia."

Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_Australian_Bight

230px-Great_Australian_Bight_map.png

Hope this helps :)

Thanks. Of course, if I had looked at the map of Australia that is the background on my computer I would have seen it. :)

So, can you pass the explanation on please...I assume it is something to do with prevailing winds / swells ? Or am I wrong?

We are sailing this way on Arcadia in March, want to know what we might encounter!

I hope the cyclone doesn't develop and all the Christmas / New Year cruisers can enjoy their cruises.

That part of the Southern Ocean is in the Roaring Forties (latitude) where the seas can be wild. Most of the bad weather comes from the west, so ships travelling east to west cop the worst of it. It is better to have big seas 'following' rather than sailing into the swells.:)

Don't worry too much - on Arcadia in January this year , we went head on into a Force 11/gusting Force 12 storm in the Atlantic on our way to the Azores (which we missed) - 40 foot seas head on, the ship had to slow to 10 knots. We basically stayed in bed all day because it was dangerous to move around the ship - in fact, they were making announcements requesting passengers to stay in their cabins and all outer decks were closed. But the ship handled it OK with the reduced speed.

That area is notorious for big storms - I don't know how high the swells can get in the Bight - but they don't call them the "Roaring Forties" for nothing!:)

http://ukagain2010.blogspot.com/2011/01/7-days-at-sea.html

Barry

Don't worry too much - on Arcadia in January this year , we went head on into a Force 11/gusting Force 12 storm in the Atlantic on our way to the Azores (which we missed) - 40 foot seas head on, the ship had to slow to 10 knots. We basically stayed in bed all day because it was dangerous to move around the ship - in fact, they were making announcements requesting passengers to stay in their cabins and all outer decks were closed. But the ship handled it OK with the reduced speed.

That area is notorious for big storms - I don't know how high the swells can get in the Bight - but they don't call them the "Roaring Forties" for nothing!:)

http://ukagain2010.blogspot.com/2011/01/7-days-at-sea.html

Barry

I remember reading your blog about that storm. Must have been quite an experience!

What will be will be, I am not worried about it, just interested to know why it is not advised to head west by sea. Luckily, neither of us suffer from sea sickness!

That part of the Southern Ocean is in the Roaring Forties (latitude) where the seas can be wild. Most of the bad weather comes from the west, so ships travelling east to west cop the worst of it. It is better to have big seas 'following' rather than sailing into the swells.:)

Thanks! It will be interesting to see what we get.

Archived