Walking out of POM

carribbeanmic

I am a budget traveler. After the cruise is over, can you walk with carry on luggage to Miami to catch public transportation. I googled directions, 28 minute walk to Overton MRL, from there I guess I can get anywhere. I have waited in line and on shuttle busses longer than 28 minutes. So is this walkable, will the security people let us out of the port?

Assuming that you are heading to the MIA airport, instead of waiting 28 minutes or longer for a cruiseline shuttle, or walking to a downtown bus stop with your luggage, you could share a cab ride with fellow cruisers - it is a flat rate of $24+tip from POM to MIA; split 4 ways that comes to about $7 per person -- an amount I would gladly spend to avoid walking with luggage in the Miami heat or dealing with the hassels of public bus service.

Good luck! :)

I am always willing to share a Taxi. We are going in 2 weeks so I dont think it will be that warm. $7 is a great price to pay for a shared cab.

Having lived in Miami for many years (but not at this time) and having sailed out of Miami both professionally and for fun many many times since 1978 and as recently as this March I think you would be VERY VERY wise to share a taxi and NOT WALK this.

OverTOWN section of Miami is not a great place for an obvious outsider with luggage . . .

btw

that 'shared taxi' comment is theoretical, there is no shared taxi line....you need to find a share yourself

but I see your statement will the security people let us out so I expect you are more than one. The Miami seaport to airport fare is fixed so if you are two, you can try to find a single rider to lower your fare. In a BEST case, you could land a VAN taxi - usually a mini-van but they still seat more than a car - and lower your per person even more (a mini-van fare is the same as a sedan-taxi)

As stated earlier you can walk out of the POM, but I would never do it. If going to the AP, the cab rate is not that exhorbitant. If needed, I would simply be frugal in another area and have this money ready for a cab. I would not want to walk off a cruise ship at the end of my wonderful, relaxing vacation and schlep my luggage for 30 minutes in the hot sun. Obviously, JMHO.

As stated earlier you can walk out of the POM, but I would never do it. If going to the AP, the cab rate is not that exhorbitant. If needed, I would simply be frugal in another area and have this money ready for a cab. I would not want to walk off a cruise ship at the end of my wonderful, relaxing vacation and schlep my luggage for 30 minutes in the hot sun. Obviously, JMHO.

Plus, I believe it'd take a lot longer than 30 minutes, actually, by the time you get out of the actual port area. Not smart, in my opinion.

Sure you can walk it but why would you want to :confused:

I agree ..find someone to share a taxi ..you will probably meet others on the cruise going to the airport ask people in the taxi line to share

Just get a taxi van with others

If you really cannot afford the $25 for a taxi then give up something on the cruise to pay the $$

Much less hassle to me

YMMV

I would take a taxi because I think it is very convenient to do so. It will also save time.

With that said, it is quite safe to walk from the Port of Miami over to say Bayside to pick up public transportation and you will not walk by any unsafe areas.

Again, downside is that the walk will take about 30 minutes, and if it is very hot or rainy or cold it will be uncomfortable. While we have walked this often without luggage I would not do it myself with luggage because to me the cab ride is well worth the price. But it is an option.

Keith

Lang.

I've done it, both ways. But only with a carry on.

It's downtown miami, not ocho rios, tiauanna, colon, etc.. or parts of any other city.

Downtown Miami, four blocks from the port, has the second most violent crime rate of any zip in the United States.

Miami has a horrible amount of crime. From the unchecked illegal aliens to the super high unemployment rate, Miami is one scary city.

A few years back I heard Miami was a place to stay away from because of the crime. When I booked this cruise I added a few extra days to sightsee, I haven't been to Miami in over 30 years. I hope we wont be afraid to leave the hotel to see the sights. Mic

Where are you staying? What "sights" did you want to see?

A few years back I heard Miami was a place to stay away from because of the crime. When I booked this cruise I added a few extra days to sightsee, I haven't been to Miami in over 30 years. I hope we wont be afraid to leave the hotel to see the sights. Mic

No, absolutely do leave the hotel to sightsee. Just be aware of your surroundings and don't go west of your downtown hotel after dark.

Coral Gables, Winwood, The Design District, South Beach, Calle Ocho, Key Biscayne etc are wonderful places to see with wonderful dining and attractions.

Miami has pockets of very bad crime. Stay out of Overtown, Liberty City, don't walk on the beach after dark.

It used to be a big problem. We used to avoid it.

But after staying their for a pre cruise in 2007, we have been back there three other times. Did a six day pre cruise just a week ago and a six day pre cruise from late December 2010 to early January 2011. We loved it.

Keith

I have a gf in Ft. Lauderdale who will not drive alone in Miami. She will only go if one of her boys will go with her.

I used to live in Boca and know there was trouble in some areas of Miami where tourists ended up accidently when they were lost.

Even my well travelled roomie last fall who took that tram thing to mcdonalds about 5 am got a little freaked out by so many homeless people.

I have a gf in Ft. Lauderdale who will not drive alone in Miami. She will only go if one of her boys will go with her.

I used to live in Boca and know there was trouble in some areas of Miami where tourists ended up accidently when they were lost.

Even my well travelled roomie last fall who took that tram thing to mcdonalds about 5 am got a little freaked out by so many homeless people.

Yes at 5:00 AM if you walk certain areas such as Bayside Park you will see homeless people.

With that said if you do the same thing in Faragut Square in WDC, San Francisco, Portland,Oregon, New York City and even Beverly Hills you will see the same thing. I mention these four cities as examples because I have visited all of them the past few years. Places like San Francisco have more homeless people than before.

I want to stress to those reading my posts that my wife and I are seasoned travelers but we are very cautious. There are some places that we would not walk day or night in and outside the USA. We error on caution.

When we were just in Miami the places that we visited from downtown Miami to Bayside to South Beach all felt safe to us. We walked back to our hotel which is about a 30 minute walk from the American Airlines Arena and also felt safe. We do keep an eye on our surroundings and we certainly avoid trouble. For example, we would not walk through Bayside Park at night.

Keith

Archived