cruise terminal in Barcelona

englishgal

We are cruising on the Solstice next June out of Barcelona and wondered if anyone knew the terminal that Solstice uses there please?

Also has anyone stayed at a hotel near to the port there?

Google can be your friend. :D On this map Celebrity uses the docks labeled A,B,C, and D, but I believe A or B are the more commonly used.

We are cruising on the Solstice next June out of Barcelona and wondered if anyone knew the terminal that Solstice uses there please?

Also has anyone stayed at a hotel near to the port there?

We stayed at the Barcelona Universal and will stay there again.

It's a ten minute walk to Las Ramblas, 20 minute walk to the Columbus monument..

Solstice docks just over a narrow roadbridge along from the world trade centre. It should be visible on google maps.

We have used Condes de Barcelona and Hotel Lleo.

Any hotel near the port will be less well located for the sights. Unless you pack very light a taxi will be needed. The fare from most central hotels will be under 15 euro, so not a worry.

Focus on the hotel location / facilities

Thank you, I will look at the map. I forgot to say that I am disabled and use a wheelchair, but I can still look at the hotels suggested.

We are flying in just the evening before the cruise, so just want a decent room and a breakfast.

Thanks again

Joan:)

Barcelona is a wonderful city. The area of interest to tourist is about a 20 euro cab ride from the port, just a few miles away. There is lots to enjoy in that area even for just a few hours. This is the area around Ramblas (a boulevard with a pedestrian walkway in the center), the Gothic Quarter, and the Placa Catalunya ( a plaza or square on the northwest edge of the other two areas mentioned). There are no hotels close enough to the port to get there without taking some form of transportation such as a taxi or bus.

We stayed at Hotel Denit, just off the Ramblas prior to sailing on Carnival Magic earlier this year. Very clean, small room but in a safe area. Cab from the airport about 30 euro +/-. Front desk clerk spoke very good english and internet available in the lobby.

Thank you, I will look at the map. I forgot to say that I am disabled and use a wheelchair, but I can still look at the hotels suggested.

We are flying in just the evening before the cruise, so just want a decent room and a breakfast.

Thanks again

Joan:)

We stayed two different times at the www.hotelcontinential.com. Its a great little hotel and the location is awesome. And all food and drink is included 24hrs a day.

We have stayed in a variety of hotels in Barcelona over the years. If you are in a wheelchair, you may find "western" hotels more wheelchair accessible. Some we have stayed in are Hiltons (there are two, one in the financial district and another near the conference center). More recently we stay at a Marriott near the airport. We have found some Spanish hotels in older buildings have very small elevators.

We stayed two different times at the www.hotelcontinential.com. Its a great little hotel and the location is awesome. And all food and drink is included 24hrs a day.

... We have found some Spanish hotels in older buildings have very small elevators.

There are many older small hotels in Barcelona - probably dozens or more in the main tourist area (Ramblas/Placa Catalunya/Gothic Quarter) alone. We've stayed in a couple including the Hotel Continental which had one very small elevator which made for very slow service, especially on days when a lot of cruise passengers where checking in and out. When we stayed at the Continental there were times the elevator was not working or not worth waiting for and we had to climb up/down 4 or 5 flights of stairs. I know this hotel is very popular with people on this board and while it was clean it was very basic. I'd personally pick another place unless one is on a tight budget and someplace very basic is acceptable.

If you are wheel chair bound I'd ask to make sure there are more than one elevator and if they are large enough to accommodate both a wheelchair, a passenger and however many pieces of luggage you travel with at one time. You also might want to ask if they have a doorman to help you with luggage as the smaller ones do not. If they can answer positive to these questions you should have no issues.

Do seek out a "western" style hotel. The older hotels from The Continental ($$) to The Majestic ($$$$) for the most part have steps. As a Brit, I imagine you are also aware of the difference between the first floor and ground floor. Many US travelers get very confused and more than once we have steered wheelchair travelers to accommodations that better meet their needs.

Since I don't know your price range or your sailing date in June it's a little difficult to lead you specifically to the best hotel.

Also check the visitors bureau to determine if there are events affecting Barcelona. Football matches can be as disruptive as folk celebrations etc. La Rambla is prone to celebrations of all kinds and can be very noisy. If you just want a bed and a quiet night's rest you should avoid that area in particular.

I hope this has helped. I know the cruise will be wonderful.

We also stayed at the Universal, http://www.hotelbarcelonauniversal.com/ and it was excellent. We had a large room with a large bathroom, which I think would be very accessible for someone needing a wheelchair. Our rate (we paid 113 euros plus tax) included breakfast, and the location was excellent--just a short taxi drive to the cruise terminal. I'd stay there again in a heartbeat. Have a wonderful trip to Barcelona and cruise.

To answer the port bit of your question, the cruise terminal is called Moll d'Adossat. If you are getting a taxi there have it written down unless your Spanish pronounciation is impeccable! I know one lady who simply asked for 'the cruise terminal' and ended up back at the airport!

Simon

The offical Barcelona Tourist web site has tons of general tourist information.

There is a page that shows the location of the Cruise terminals:

http://www.barcelona-tourist-guide.com/en/transport/barcelona-cruise-port.html

Celebrity uses one of the terminals labeled A,B,C or D - I think it is usually terminal B or C but the cruise docs normally just indicate Moll D'ADossat, as indicated in the post above, which includes all 4 and you'll see which one as the cab driver approaches. The map on the link above identifies the name of the cruise terminal as Adossat Quay or Quai Adossat.

The advice of having the places you need a taxi to written down, including any hotel address, to show the driver is very good advice. While most drivers know some English the amount varies with some speaking almost none, some very fluent and most some place in between.

I also carry a good tourist map when we're exploring Barcelona. My favorite is the Mapeasy's Guidemap to Barcelona (great series available for most all major cities in Europe and USA) and at times I've pulled the map out and pointed to a location when explaining to a driver where I want to go.

To answer the port bit of your question, the cruise terminal is called Moll d'Adossat. If you are getting a taxi there have it written down unless your Spanish pronounciation is impeccable! I know one lady who simply asked for 'the cruise terminal' and ended up back at the airport!

Simon

Same thing almost happened to us. We asked our driver to take us from the hotel to the Cruise Port and as we were on the highway driving by the ships we gesticulated wildly at our ship and the driver finally asked "Port?" just like the signs indicated...

The first time we were in Barcelona, I was still using a wheelchair and found the websites of the hotels to be very helpful in finding one that was 'comfortably' accessible.

TripAdvisor is a good starting point as it has a screen for this, but you should still follow through with the individual property to make sure it will work for you.

Also be prepared for taxis that may not have room in their trunk for your wheelchair. We had a couple that had to switch off with another driver, but as long as you are not in a rush, it works out well somehow. And the terminal at the port does have elevators.

Happy travels,

GC

We sailed from Barcelona this past August on the Silver Wind. Not sure which piers X uses, but you can easily see the ships as you arrive so it's easy to spot for the cab driver. We stayed at the Ritz-Carlton Arts hotel directly next to the private marina overlooking the Med and the beach. Great location and a terrific property. About a 15 minute drive to the pier. I would stay there again for sure.

We are staying at the Hotel Gaudi which is in the Las Ramblas area -- not too far from the port. The hotel looks nice and is very reasonable. We will be arriving on 6/14 for or 6/16 cruise departure.

Will you please report back about this Hotel? I've wanted to stay there since we were in Barcelona in 2003, but haven't had the opportunity.

Beth

1. Celebrity will dock at Moll D'Adossat which is very close to town.

2. Many people ask the taxi driver for the 'port' and the drivers hear 'aeroport'--tell them you want to go to 'las barcas grandes'!

3. Didn't care for Hotel Universal at all--so many better choices, although I can't comment on the best ones for disabled pax. We stayed at Universal for one night at the end of our cruise because it was cheap--but would never stay there again.

Archived