Concerned about booking Zuiderdam Cruise

itzmered

Please give us links to all of these or even 2-3 of these reviews with the noted multiple complaints of Zuiderdam's Toilet issue. Please??:)

Not necessarily reviews and I don't know if it is all, but I found these threads, 8 posters, including the respected RuthC. (Respected by most, revered by me.)

"We did see some stalls in public washrooms with signs on them but nothing that caused line ups or problems at all." Bajacali http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1539359&highlight=toilet

"From the first day we boarded the ship, our toilet did not work..." Jill_Delaware http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1536805

"When our toilet stopped working midway through the cruise..." SBant

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1536805

"The problem of out-of-order public restrooms was real. Since my cabin was centrally located, and my toilet worked, I just kept that as Plan B in the back of my mind." RuthC http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1537563&highlight=toilet

"There toilet in their suite did not work all the time, and heard others had the same problem. Some public toilets were out of order most of the time." Bigdogwon http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1537023

"Toilets were not working a lot of the time -- many times it was hard to find a public toliet that was working. One in our cabin was out of order for a couple of days and you never knew when it was going to work." Bookfinder http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1537023

"We did have one night when the toilet would not flush but then 20 minutes later it flushed on its own." Sapper1 http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1537023

"Yes the ship is getting a little tired and needs some tender loving care, but nothing that would ruin someone’s vacation – except for the non-working public bathrooms. More and more were out of order as the days went on. By the end of the cruise at least 60% of the public bathrooms were out of order." iriemon http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1535197

Not necessarily reviews and I don't know if it is all, but I found these threads, 8 posters, including the respected RuthC. (Respected by most, revered by me.)

"We did see some stalls in public washrooms with signs on them but nothing that caused line ups or problems at all." Bajacali http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1539359&highlight=toilet

"From the first day we boarded the ship, our toilet did not work..." Jill_Delaware http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1536805

"When our toilet stopped working midway through the cruise..." SBant

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1536805

"The problem of out-of-order public restrooms was real. Since my cabin was centrally located, and my toilet worked, I just kept that as Plan B in the back of my mind." RuthC http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1537563&highlight=toilet

"There toilet in their suite did not work all the time, and heard others had the same problem. Some public toilets were out of order most of the time." Bigdogwon http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1537023

"Toilets were not working a lot of the time -- many times it was hard to find a public toliet that was working. One in our cabin was out of order for a couple of days and you never knew when it was going to work." Bookfinder http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1537023

"We did have one night when the toilet would not flush but then 20 minutes later it flushed on its own." Sapper1 http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1537023

"Yes the ship is getting a little tired and needs some tender loving care, but nothing that would ruin someone’s vacation – except for the non-working public bathrooms. More and more were out of order as the days went on. By the end of the cruise at least 60% of the public bathrooms were out of order." iriemon http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1535197

I know about these ones, they are all from the last week or so. I guess I should have been clearer. I should have said plumbing issues with Zuiderdam after the 2004 (I think that is the year the one poster mentioned last dry dock and proiblems) and September 2011, when I was on her.

Believe me, I DO BELIEVE there was a MAJOR problem between Thanksgiving and possibly through this weeks cruises!! I am in no doubt of that!!!

What I am questioning is why this time frame, why not before then and what went so wrong?? AND how long this has been going on as I could not find much mention of any toilet problems since right after the last dry dock mentioned in 2004 (I think that was the year mentioned.)

Joanie

I thought I read but could be wrong that someone posted that there was a broken part for the toilet system that they were waiting for. I hope for all cruising on her soon that issue is resolved. Maybe cruisecritic should call and interview some at HAL corporate. Maybe it will get the ball rolling or the "toilets flushing" so to speak if there is a little press coverage about it :D

I am booked for this ship next month, and even with the discussions I am reading here about the ship (which I did not read before booking), I am going into this with an open mind (and my fingers crossed).

While this will be the first time for us on HAL - it will be our 12th cruise, so we have a pretty good idea of what to expect, or at least what we would feel as normal. So our experiences with HAL will be judged by our past experiences with different cruise lines. If our experiences are on par with our previous cruises, we will be happy.

I have no doubt that there are some issues on the ship. But it has been my experience that all ships do have issues now and then - as the ship is constantly in use, and repairs have to be done on the fly for the most part. This likely causes some inefficiencies in keeping things top-notch.

I do realize that ships constantly in use will have some degree of "deferred maintenance" simply due to the ability to keep things running at sea. Especially as the ship ages.

I have no reason to doubt the comments I have been reading about this ship are legitimate. However, I do realize that we all see things differently, and the impact one issue or another has differs vastly from person to person. At least that is the mind-set I am taking with me to the boarding ramp.

To me, if a public toilet was out of service here and there, that is not a big deal as long as they are not all out. But if my stateroom toilet was broken, yea, that would be more of an issue.

I guess I am just saying that stuff happens, and as long as it is not anything significant, I am not going to sweat it.

Stay tuned... we shall see if I change my mind after my return.

The first thing I'll be doing once we get to our cabin on the 16th on the zuidy is flushing the toilet...and in the 26 years I've been cruising, I've never thought I'd be saying that for any ship.

As a rule of thumb, the first thing that everyone should do upon entering their stateroom after boarding on the day of embarkation is to FLUSH THE TOILET! ;)

Originally Posted by TheKuhnFamily

From reading the threads, it sounds like about 6 separate toilets have been reported as having issues...

.....out of what, say 2000 toilets on the ship? Great point.

Just to clarify, of the many cruisers who experienced issues, likely only a few people documented their issues by posting on this board. Also, I didn't go into other cabins to get a complete tally on non-functioning toilets on the Zuiderdam. Only HAL can provide this information (and they seem to be absent with answers to issues on CC, Facebook, etc.).

To say that only six toilets out of 2,000 on the ship were non-functioning (so no big deal) is disingenuous. That's like saying icebergs are small (and ignoring what you cannot see under the water).

As a rule of thumb, the first thing that everyone should do upon entering their stateroom after boarding on the day of embarkation is to FLUSH THE TOILET! ;)

Actually the toliets don't work as well in port as they do on the sea. We've find this on three different cruise lines: RCI, Celebrity, HAL, so we asked and were told that it has to do with all systems running while at sea and not all systems running while in port. And we were also told not to push the button to flush more than twice because it would not help-just to wait and let it do its job!

And yes, we have experienced the delayed flushing toliets: they're kinda of funny-all of the sudden, WHOOSH! and you're like, what the heck? and then you realize that the toliet finally flushed.

Originally Posted by TheKuhnFamily

From reading the threads, it sounds like about 6 separate toilets have been reported as having issues...

Just to clarify, of the many cruisers who experienced issues, likely only a few people documented their issues by posting on this board. Also, I didn't go into other cabins to get a complete tally on non-functioning toilets on the Zuiderdam. Only HAL can provide this information (and they seem to be absent with answers to issues on CC, Facebook, etc.).

To say that only six toilets out of 2,000 on the ship were non-functioning (so no big deal) is disingenuous. That's like saying icebergs are small (and ignoring what you cannot see under the water).

Technically, you ASSUMING that there were more than six is disingenuous... "Let's stick to the facts, Ma'am...."

The Original OP titled the thread "... Front Desk was Horrible....". Sounds like their issue was more with the front desk than the toilets... We've all seen people like this... let's not kid ourselves. I think they have gotten even by trashing HAL on this thread...

Let's go back to arguing about dress code, please!

I am certain that it will be remedied.

You have nothing to loose by booking now. You can watch the reports and make a final decision in next fall/winter prior to your final payment date. Just don't buy the insurance until final payment.

I have researched postings a second time looking for threads about toilet problems on Zuiderdam. Between the years 2008 and 2011 they do not appear to be as numerous as I suggested on my first posting on this thread. Doggone brain cells. Just keep burning out. My apologies.:o

Nevertheless Zuiderdam does seem to have recently experienced significant problems with its toilets. Some posting on this thread have minimized the problem saying there were only six problem toilets. If one of the six malfunctioning/nonfunctioning toilets was in your stateroom, it could profoundly impact your cruise depending upon the type of problem: overflowing, nonflushing, whether or not the problem was resolved, etc. For those minimizing the problem how would you like to step in sewage in the middle of the night or have to leave your stateroom to go to a public toilet?

Technically, you ASSUMING that there were more than six is disingenuous... "Let's stick to the facts, Ma'am...."

The Original OP titled the thread "... Front Desk was Horrible....". Sounds like their issue was more with the front desk than the toilets... We've all seen people like this... let's not kid ourselves. I think they have gotten even by trashing HAL on this thread...

Let's go back to arguing about dress code, please!

If you read my original cruise review for the Zuiderdam, it mainly focused on Front Desk and management staff who could not resolve issues or even acknowledge the problems. Ship issues (toilets, WiFi, service, etc.) happen but how each cruise line deals with issues makes a big difference to the customer. I fairly listed positive and negatives for my HAL cruise but overall enjoyed the cruise (Panama Canal - full transit was amazing). However, I will consider your suggestion to go from cabin to cabin on my next cruise and get an accurate tally on who has toilet issues...

If you read my original cruise review for the Zuiderdam, it mainly focused on Front Desk and management staff who could not resolve issues or even acknowledge the problems. Ship issues (toilets, WiFi, service, etc.) happen but how each cruise line deals with issues makes a big difference to the customer. I fairly listed positive and negatives for my HAL cruise but overall enjoyed the cruise (Panama Canal - full transit was amazing). However, I will consider your suggestion to go from cabin to cabin on my next cruise and get an accurate tally on who has toilet issues...

I'd appreciate that, thank you....

I was on the Zuiderdam Oct. 24th sailing and there were toilet issues in the public areas at that time. As the days went by, the number of toilets "out of service" grew. It was sometimes only 1 or 2, sometimes more than 50% of all toilets in a restroom, sometimes fully 100% (all toilets closed).

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=31260189#post31260189

see post 616 and my post 618.

I think they do as much as they can to maintain and fix problems, which sometimes is not enough and surely not up to standards, just like in real life. Did it spoil my trip? No, not at all but it definitely was not a positive aspect.

I have rebooked this ship for Jan. 27, 2012 so obviously it didn't scare me off. Though I do hope I won't have to run around on formal night in heels trying to find a functioning toilet again.

Cherry

I was on the Zuiderdam Oct. 24th sailing and there were toilet issues in the public areas at that time. As the days went by, the number of toilets "out of service" grew. It was sometimes only 1 or 2, sometimes more than 50% of all toilets in a restroom, sometimes fully 100% (all toilets closed).

I think they do as much as they can to maintain and fix problems, which sometimes is not enough and surely not up to standards, just like in real life. Did it spoil my trip? No, not at all but it definitely was not a positive aspect.

I have rebooked this ship for Jan. 27, 2012 so obviously it didn't scare me off. Though I do hope I won't have to run around on formal night in heels trying to find a functioning toilet again.

Cherry

Same experience and conclusion with my on Nov 25th Sailing...

Cherry

Cherry,

We're also on the Jan 27th sailing. Did you sign up for the Meet and Greet?

mustcruisemore,

I haven't been back to the roll call for a while because of the holidays. I'll do that now. I'm surprising my 14 year old niece - she'll only know she is going with her auntie to Florida, though right now she doesn't even know that part. It's her first cruise, and I doubt she will care about toilets (to keep this on topic)...ha ha.

See you onboard!

Cherry

And if you do have to "run around on formal night in heels trying to find a functioning toilet again", hopefully, it will not spoil your trip, at all, (once again)! :D:p;)

We are looking at booking our first HAL cruise on the Zuiderdam 11 day Panama Canal in February of 2013. I have been reading all the threads I can find about the Zuiderdam and am very concerned about all the issues I am reading about the toilets. Has this been an ongoing problem for quite sometime? I also se that it will be going through a dry dock in late November, does anyone know what will be done during the dry dock. I hope the issues are resolved over the next year :)

We have cruised the ms Zuiderdam twice - the last time was the Panama Canal out of Ft. Lauderdale that you are referring to. Although it is not a new ship by any stretch of the imagination as ships go (dedicated December 2002) we have found - both times - the ship to be extremely clean, crew to be very friendly and helpful - with their primary concern being to please the passengers.

The Panama Canal trip we were upgraded from a standard balcony (Verandah) all the way up to the VIP Deluxe Verandah Suite. Now it's going to be really tough for us to go back to a 'standard balcony' after that cruise experience.

You will always find negative reviews - but you will also find positive reviews. We all have different experiences and evaluate the experiences differently. Don't get confused by all that you read.

We just got off the Zuiderdam and had a wonderful cruise. The ship was spotless, the food was fabulous and the crew was outstanding.

There were a couple of public toilets not working during the cruise however we never found an entire restroom closed - there was always at least one working toilet. And, this was only in a very small number of public restrooms.

We had read about the worn carpeting as well. Well, we did finally find the worn carpeting - it is on the stairs leading to the dining room on the lower levels (guess too many people making too many trips to the dining room to eat) :D. If something like that bothers you then take the elevator to the dining room and you won't see it.

We wouldn't hesitate to sail on the Zuiderdam again.

We just got off the Zuiderdam and had a wonderful cruise. The ship was spotless, the food was fabulous and the crew was outstanding.

There were a couple of public toilets not working during the cruise however we never found an entire restroom closed - there was always at least one working toilet. And, this was only in a very small number of public restrooms.

We had read about the worn carpeting as well. Well, we did finally find the worn carpeting - it is on the stairs leading to the dining room on the lower levels (guess too many people making too many trips to the dining room to eat) :D. If something like that bothers you then take the elevator to the dining room and you won't see it.

We wouldn't hesitate to sail on the Zuiderdam again.

Thank you for posting. Sounds much better than prior cruises have reported. Perhaps the issues, whatever they were re the toilets, have been taken care of, for the most part.

Mar56

Yes, then I'll go to the meet and greet with a lampshade on my head.

You party animal you.

Archived