Tired of the Erroneous Demographic Reports......

sail7seas

I don't know. Perhaps it was because of where I was at particular times. I would tend to have breakfast in the Lido at 6:45, and invariably there would be quite a few fellow passengers who had just left the gym and were eating their Shredded Wheat and fresh fruit! (This was quite a departure from what I would see over the years when the "Greatest Generation" would pass by my table with plates overflowing with bacon and sausage!) The Shredded Wheat crowd, who I know from chatting with them were a good ten years younger than I, would then head for the Crow's Nest for tai chi! I have noticed a great change in demographics both on this recent Maasdam cruise and my 30-day voyageto South America on the Rotterdam last April. But that's what happens over time. On both ships, like you, I found my fellow passengers to be absolutely delightful.

Such as always been ... and such will always be. Many people are in the camp that seems to profess, "My mind is made up. Don't confuse me with the facts." Trying to convince them that HAL is not a line reserved for those with one foot in the grave is like trying to correct improper grammar on this or any other social networking board.

Brilliant!

Megsie,

I think folks tend to use the word "children" when they actually mean out of control shaved primates, it is just that the words "child" or "children" are easier to type.

Derek

This!! We have had only 1 cruise (guess we are lucky) where I have seen a migrating herd of these running through the lido. Very loud and messy. I hear they have "parents." Never saw one of those.

I see the HAL brochures etc and understand that HAL is trying reach out to a different demographic group.

But the ads and brochures are just bumph. HAL's entertainment has not been upgraded or changed. When we look at this offering, it becomes clear to us that HAL is saying one thing and doing another.

HAL's entertainment has not been upgraded or changed.

Sure it has. The last few cruises have been filled with shows and lounges presenting music from the 50's-early 70's. It's getting harder and harder to find a lounge playing older tunes. Even the production shows have moved away from big band style music.

I took my first holland america cruise at age 28. I have also tried other cruise companies but prefer holland america and mainly travel with them. I think they have pretty good service. I really don't care what other people think about ages on holland america and I agree there are people of all ages.

Personally I go on a trip for the itineraries and destinations. I don't really care what age people are. I went on a carnival cruise once and there were people drinking and then sleeping all day because of being hungover. To me that is a waste of a vacation.

I see the HAL brochures etc and understand that HAL is trying reach out to a different demographic group.

But the ads and brochures are just bumph. HAL's entertainment has not been upgraded or changed. When we look at this offering, it becomes clear to us that HAL is saying one thing and doing another.

Passengers on the recent Maasdam TA raved, cheered and and applauded the new entertainment changes were the best, most talented group they had experienced. This was a very seasoned group of HAL travelers. Their feeling was indeed HAL entertainment had been "upgraded and changed".

On board entertainment comes in very low on our own list of cruise concerns so we don't really care, but we do care about the on board lecturers who have often been very, very good. Some excellent ones on this cruise too.

The entertainment has been excellent from what we have experienced. We have been very pleased with the changes thus far, most especially on our latest Maasdam cruise!! Never a dull moment but then we do normally turn in by 1 am. :D

Sure it has. The last few cruises have been filled with shows and lounges presenting music from the 50's-early 70's. It's getting harder and harder to find a lounge playing older tunes. Even the production shows have moved away from big band style music.

And I say bravo to this change. However, I'm not a fan of 50's music but love anything from 60's to present. Being a "boomer," rock and roll is what I grew up on. It's the only music worth listening or dancing to IMO. :)

I agree with this post. The entertainment option provided on-board a Nov 25th 2011 sailing of the Zuiderdam (Panama Canal) was geared for an older audience. Whether you're talking about Karoake song options, or Comedy Acts or Dance/Musical Shows, HAL appears to design the shows to appeal to 60 and 70 year olds. But I'm fine with a cruise ship identifying and catering to a certain demographic.

I mainly go on a cruise for the destination. The Nov 25th sailing of the Zuiderdam took me to the Panama canal (history) as well as Bonaire & Aruba (snorkeling) so no compliants there - the entertainment was only a minor disappointment. But it would likely be better if their advertisements and brochures were more accurate.

I have cruised thus far on HAL and NCL and noticed a significantly younger demographic (median age) on NCL with the exception of a South American 14-day cruise - which likely would not be appealing to younger folks in their 20s and 30s with kids. I can't discuss ages for other cruise lines (no data) but can compare my one HAL Caribbean cruise with several other Caribbean NCL cruises.

And I say bravo to this change. However, I'm not a fan of 50's music but love anything from 60's to present. Being a "boomer," rock and roll is what I grew up on. It's the only music worth listening or dancing to IMO. :)

However, the same playlist shouldn't be played in every venue. There should be a selection of genres so that various tastes can find something to enjoy.

And in no way, shape or form should "Tell Laura I Love Her" be considered good dinner music (yes, that was played during one of my cruises).

[/font]

And in no way' date=' shape or form should "Tell Laura I Love Her" be considered good dinner music (yes, that was played during one of my cruises). [/color']

Hey, now ... some of us love that song! at least, some of us who are named Laura ...

If you are on even a 2 week cruise, the numbers can be much different. On our October Hawaii 14 day cruise, the average age was 73 as announced onboard.

I am happy to report that I as a 50ish gal, felt like a spring chicken on that cruise and had an wonderful time.

Our one week cruises to the Mex Riviera have always been more like the 52 yo average or younger age wise.

I wish I had been on that cruise. At 72, I would have been one of the younger cruisers.

Time and again, we read how HAL only has very senior folks sailing and that is just plain not true.

I've been told the average age for HAL cruisers is 57. Sure, there are people in their 90's aboard but there are also toddlers in strollers and plenty of every age in between.

Certainly on World Cruise or 60 day Grand Voyage you will have an older demographic. Who else has the time for such cruises You will find an older demographic on every ship/every cruise line that does a World Cruise.

But for the average seven or ten day Caribbean cruise, and we've been on many, the demographic on HAL sure looks to me just the same as that on Princess and "X' which are the lines most closely compared with HAL. I've made a point of watching other ships in port with us disembark their guests and they look just like those of us getting on and off HAL ship.

I get so annoyed hearing the same old incorrect mantra about HAL over and over.

Anyone else sick of it?

Not sick of it...actually agree with it. I think the average age on my cruises on HAL has probably been late 60s and the ships did seem emptier late at night.

Upgraded Shows? Well, I suppose you're correct that shows have been upgraded from Lawrence Welk & Big Band era music to music from the 50s and 60s. However, just a note that this upgrade still has HAL music 4 or 5 decades behind current musical trends. Appealing to cruisers in their 20s would have a show or club that has Beyonce and Lady Gaga music (currently popular). Not saying that HAL should go this way but if you advertise saying HAL caters to all ages but don't have one option for the 20 - 30 demographic is inconsistent. Not my musical taste but more likely your grandkid's option.

It's probably best that HAL specializes in older passengers and updates to keep this demographic in mind. For example, the ramps for the tenders allow wheelchairs and people with walkers to easily gain access (while NCL and other lines have steps for tendering). HAL does a better job with cruisers with mobility issues than any other.

When I see a thread about age on HAL, I skip it. Those who continue to respond to these questions are patient people with a good heart. This question seems to occur frequently. At one point I was keeping a tally of this same question and was going to post the answers to the hundreds of other similar questions, but decided it would be best to ignore, than engage.

I really bite my tongue and keep my fingers from typing when someone asks "will my... pick the age(s) children..... like HAl, feel at home on HAL, get eaten by all the old people on board." Due to the content of this thread I'm going to let my true thoughts fly on that topic. It is the parents responsibility to do their homeowork. Check out the HAL childrens program and decide for yourself if it is a fit for your children. How do you expect a group of strangers to make that dicision for you? For heavens sake, don't dump your child in the HAL club. Spend time with your children. Your children will remember the cruise for the rest of their life if their parents use this vacation time to spend time with them, explain and teach them about the ocean, stars, sea life, valcanic islands, etc. and share new adventures with their children. Teach your child to snorkel, kayak, or dance for example. Parents are missing a chance of a lifetime to really bond with their children. We have raised two sucessful and well adjusted adult children, so we know how hard it is to be a parent.

OK I'm done. I'll never mention this again!

Archived