Costa Concordia sinking (merged threads)

ItalianGuest

I don't think so, but they specialize in the large ships. You can see some pictures on their website http://www.titansalvage.com/ and read an article about him (partially) and about what he does at http://www.wired.com/science/discoveries/magazine/16-03/ff_seacowboys?currentPage=all

Amazing links and amazing work, but so dangerous. Titan Salvage, what a goo dname for them. Blessings that they work safely salvaging this ship. Thanks so much for sharing this information. I hope you will come back to the boards and post as they make progress. m--

For those of you who have been discussing what and where the ship hit and it's location on charts and maps, I would like to submit to you that this ship actually hit a freakin' COUNTRY. I don't want to go all drama queen here, but Italy is on a few maps, I dare say. From preliminary reports, and strictly as a matter of discussion, I submit that not only did this man commit a grave navigational error, he hit a BLOODY COUNTRY! This man is incompetent. And if he abandoned the 4,000 people he was responsible for, he is a coward. He should not be commanding a row boat, much less a cruise ship, iif what they are saying is true.

For those of you who have been discussing what and where the ship hit and it's location on charts and maps, I would like to submit to you that this ship actually hit a freakin' COUNTRY. I don't want to go all drama queen here, but Italy is on a few maps, I dare say. From preliminary reports, and strictly as a matter of discussion, I submit that not only did this man commit a grave navigational error, he hit a BLOODY COUNTRY! This man is incompetent. And if he abandoned the 4,000 people he was responsible for, he is a coward. He should not be commanding a row boat, much less a cruise ship, iif what they are saying is true.

I note it is reported that the Captain was repeatedly asked by Coast Guard to return to his ship while rescue operations were ongoing.

The story of this wreck is not a single long narrative. It reads like a series of narratives - each version worse than the other.

Concordia's Crew.........

Has anyone heard or read anything about all the crew/staff/officers? I've been hoping Costa is at least seeing to their needs right now. Sailors, stewards, bartenders etc from all over the world with no money, no passports, no credit cards...... so far from home and certainly needing help.

-------------

On the Costa board they are saying the crew is not getting any help..and that many lost life savings which were in the ship's crew safe.

There is talk there of organizing a cash collection for them so they are not left penniless.

It isn't a 'country' any more than any small island is a 'country'. It is a small island off the cost of Italy

-------------

On the Costa board they are saying the crew is not getting any help..and that many lost life savings which were in the ship's crew safe.

There is talk there of organizing a cash collection for them so they are not left penniless.

Unbelievable. When the Titanic went down, crewman's pay was calculated to the hour the ship sunk. The money sent to the deceased crewman's family reflected this.

At least these crewmen are alive. It will be interesting to see how they are ultimately treated by Costa/Carnival.

A suggestion I received from a staffer in the State Dept. is to have a good, color, photocopy of the front pages of your passport made and laminated to carry in your wallet at all times. Losing your actual passport while ashore can be a major headache. Losing the laminated copy is no big deal.

In the very unlikely event that you can't access your actual passport, such as this case, the copy makes it far easier to get a duplicate at any US Embassy. On the other hand getting a brand new passport overseas to replace an original one that gets lost or stolen can be a real nasty bit of business.

The photocopy of the passport pages also can be useful as identification along with a gov't issued photo id (driver license, for example) if required in a foreign city.

My husband and I always leave passports in the safe in our cabin. We sail next Sunday on the Ryndam and this Costa disaster has me nervous. I am going to fix a bag to keep with me but I was thinking about making photocopies of the passports and still leaving the originals in the safe. What do you more experienced cruisers think? Would copies be accepted if the real ones were lost? Thanks for any advice.

Yes, I agree, and do make (several) 'black and white' copies of the "face" page of my passport! (My passport photo is in 'black and white', so it does not copy as 'colour')! ;) And, if one looses the photocopy of the face page of their passport, along with all the personal information on it, would that compromise the validity your passport in any way, shape or form for 'security' reasons? :confused:

Yes, I agree, and do make (several) 'black and white' copies of the "face" page of my passport! (My passport photo is in 'black and white', so it does not copy as 'colour')! ;) And, if one looses the photocopy of the face page of their passport, along with all the personal information on it, would that compromise the validity your passport in any way, shape or form for 'security' reasons? :confused:

I'm not sure - but I don't think so - it can't be scanned or forged. It's the original passport that is so valuable to the black market. A Canadian passport goes for a LOT of money on the black market because they are barred from so few countries

-------------

Sure hope that something is done to help the crew.

I heard on the morning news that another body was found -- in a corridor above the water.

Anyone hear anything else?

Yes KK, CBC just reported that there are now 6 dead and 16 still missing:(

Sail,

If you can, colour is far better as it identifies you. Say you are left behind or in the situation of these poor Costa passengers. In exceptional circumstances you may not have to wait for a passport - the embassy can 'vouch' that this is legit and you can get on the plane.

If it helps get you home, get you on the plane, whatever it's worth doing the colour print out IMO as they can see your picture better. And if if you are using it for id - a colour picture is always better :)

Jacqui, as you may (or may not be aware), it is perfectly acceptable, according to Passport Canada, for passport pics to be taken either colour OR black and white! ;) My passport photo is in black and white! I have never had any concerns passing through any Customs and Immigration with my passport showing a black and white photo! ;)

The search is being stopped for now! The ship has slipped. The water is getting rough and it is only on a small ledge. Worries that the divers will be trapped and if the ship slips further it will sink.

Company has placed all the blame on the captain

http://www.cbc.ca/news/world/story/2012/01/16/cruise-ship-monday.html?cmp=rss

It isn't a 'country' any more than any small island is a 'country'. It is a small island off the cost of Italy

The ship ran AGROUND. That means it struck a landmass. That landmass being underwater is irrelevant. The fact is, the ship was too damn close to land and should not have been. As a result, people are dead. The point is, the captain of the ship made such a great error that, in my opinion, means he has no business in commanding a ship.

The ship ran AGROUND. That means it struck a landmass. That landmass being underwater is irrelevant.
Then, given that virtually every landmass belongs to a country, why the drama queen/tabloid hysteria posting?
... I would like to submit to you that this ship actually hit a freakin' COUNTRY. ... I submit that not only did this man commit a grave navigational error, he hit a BLOODY COUNTRY!

This was on a Costa thread:

So this might already have been shared here. But I read a news report this morning that the Maitr'd on Concordia is from Giglio, that the captain alerted the Maitr'd that they were planning to skirt really close by his island and to come see. The Maitr'd's sister posted it as her status on facebook:

From FB:

Patrizia Tievoli

Tra poco passerà vicina vicina la Concordia di Costa Crociere, un salutone al mio fratello che a Savona finalmente sbarcherà, per godersi un po' di vacanza!!!

""Shortly the Costa Concordia will pass really, really close, a big hello to my brother who will disembark at Savona and finally get to enjoy some holiday.''

Nice.

I just went to her wide open FB thread and saw that for myself. Unbelievable. Meanwhile, I am listening to the Costa conference call. They are taking a question from someone from CC.

both BBC and CBC are reporting that the ship has shifted slightly (apparently the seas have gotten rough) and rescue efforts were called off for a few hours, but appears to have resumed. There is much concern that the fuel will begin to leak if the ship slips any more. One blogger is stating that they fear the ship will sink completely but that isn't mentioned on either BBC or CBC.

Mar56

both BBC and CBC are reporting that the ship has shifted slightly (apparently the seas have gotten rough) and rescue efforts were called off for a few hours, but appears to have resumed. There is much concern that the fuel will begin to leak if the ship slips any more. One blogger is stating that they fear the ship will sink completely but that isn't mentioned on either BBC or CBC.

Mar56

On CBC TV (CBC NOW) they said there was fear that the ship would sink completely if it slips off that little area.

Archived