Costa Concordia sinking (merged threads)

ItalianGuest

Fix the Concordia ? Are they crazy ? Who would sail that ship ? Costa has a big enough problem right now getting people to sail any of their ships. I hope the captain is still in jail when (and if ) they do fix that ship. I'll give Costa some free corporate consulting advice : Do not even mention repairing the ship before the dead are even buried .

The lawsuits here will probably exceed the value of the Costa fleet.

The captain has a 165 foot hole in the boat and a rock the size of a bus sticking out of it and he doesn't call a mayday ? Criminal , nothing less.

I just posted this over in the 'Costa Concordia - I survived' thread and thought I would add it here too.

Michelle, thank you for sharing this horrific experience here with us. Glad you are safe and wish you the very best.

I have just also read a story in the media here in Australia, about 2 lucky survivors, and thought others here may wish to read this article (See below):-

Aussie couple helped panicked passengers as 'gutless' crew fled.

Lucy Carne in Rome

January 16, 201212:00AM

SURVIVORS of a killer luxury cruiser crash have compared the disaster to the Titanic, with two Australians revealing their extraordinary tale of survival.

Read full article @

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/more-news/two-aussies-missing-from-italian-ship-call-home/story-fn7x8me2-1226244915419

I was reading in other articles about this that "arrest for manslaughter" in Europe is not the same as here. It is more a "being held for questioning and investigation" and not the same as being charged with manslaughter or any specific crime at this point.

It is way too early for any of us to know what happened and if the Captain will be charged with any crime. They are just investigating the cause of the accident and who did or didn't do what. If the officials in Italy don't have all the facts yet we are making a lot of assumptions.

why didn't they have the muster drill before the ship left the pier like all the Carnival owned ships do from US ports? I am sure they will in the future.
It's not required only within 24 hrs after sailing. And FYI all Carnival owned ships do not always do a muster drill before sailing from US ports.

I just posted this over in the 'Costa Concordia - I survived' thread and thought I would add it here too.

Thanks for posting the link - I read it with interest and laughed out loud when they said among their valuables that were left in the cabin was a jar of Vegemite. :D I guess there's levity in the most serious of things.

Such a harrowing experience, I can't imagine what the passengers and crew are going through trying to get back to their homes without identification, passports, and money. There's no way in the world a person could be prepared for something like this, no matter how much pre-cruise planning you do.

Smooth Sailing! :) :) :)

Well.... he says a few months to get her towed back wo where ever Carnival wants it. But I'm guessing it will probably take a year, give or take a few months, to get her up and running again. Because they pretty much have to re-do the entire inside of the ship.

Good luck with that....

Not saying they won't but I doubt they will.

I didn't post to any of these threads yesterday, as I was simply overwhelmed by the devastating event. But, as a member of this community, I want to acknowledge that I've been following the news minute by minute. And praying, second by second. We, here at home, cannot begin to imagine the horror ...

I don't think so, but they specialize in the large ships. You can see some pictures on their website http://www.titansalvage.com/ and read an article about him (partially) and about what he does at http://www.wired.com/science/discoveries/magazine/16-03/ff_seacowboys?currentPage=all

Fascinating reading. Something I never would have accessed and I thank for your the links. Amazing work your B-I-L and his crew does. Dinner table conversation with him must be interesting to say the least.

Couldn't help but notice the photo in your signature...... 'your office' !!! :)

Stay safe, all of you.

A great thread to read is the Costa Concordia - I Survived thread: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1548951

Going back there now to read past the very 1st post by mickey_d_mouse

The thread is at least 3 pages long and should give us a better understanding from the point of views of first hand experiences.

Joanie

Question about Muster Drills- Have been reading (in articles about the Costa ship) that they are not "required." Is this the case?

We have always had Muster Drills before sailing and have always felt that all were asked to participate.

It would seem sensible for participation in these drills to be "required."

How do others feel about this?

A great thread to read is the Costa Concordia - I Survived thread: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1548951

Going back there now to read past the very 1st post by mickey_d_mouse

The thread is at least 3 pages long and should give us a better understanding from the point of views of first hand experiences.

Joanie

I just read it Joanie - Michelle has posted her experiences and I have to say, it's sad. Other than the hotel room, they have had NO help from Costa.

Her embassy is the only one helping her with money they need so desperately to get some clothes, etc. (they are in Rome).

Her travel insurance is giving her the run a round.

Awful, after going through all of this - the survivors who are stranded should be getting support from Costa & from their travel insurance IMO:(

Question about Muster Drills- Have been reading (in articles about the Costa ship) that they are not "required." Is this the case?

We have always had Muster Drills before sailing and have always felt that all were asked to participate.

It would seem sensible for participation in these drills to be "required."

How do others feel about this?

Life Boat drills are required within 24 hours of sailing. Most ships/most cruises conduct them just before or after sailing.

Attendance is Mandatory.

People have told of having to make their way out of Concordia through pitch-black corridors. HAL has the safety-light strips along the floor and we have often noticed them being tested during crew drills. Does Costa not have these? Or are they purely for smoke and not for power failures (i.e. do they run from ship's power and not batteries)? Or battery power may have shorted also as the ship flooded?

Good questions.

I thought all cruise lines had those emergency strips along the floors -- maybe not.

Sure hope someone can answer all your questions.

Life Boat drills are required within 24 hours of sailing. Most ships/most cruises conduct them just before or after sailing.

Attendance is Mandatory.

I am not happy with the fact that attendance is no longer.

Both times on our last cruise as we went inside from our area we could see people sitting in the Ocean Bar -- have no idea what was going on.

I was surprised that on my last cruise on the Noordam (Dec 2011) attendance was no longer taken at the muster drill. Nobody was enforcing any rules either. People were talking loudly, some on the cell phone, taking pictures, had drinks in their hands, etc. You could hardly hear the instructions. A young officer stood around and did nothing and the crew just stood there. After 12 years of cruising, I still retrace my steps from my stateroom to the muster station after the muster drill is held just to be sure. When something bad happens, hopefully people will panic less if they know their location and how to get to the muster. Perhaps this accident will make more pax attend the muster drill and actually pay attention. One of the mistakes people made on the Concordia was going back to their cabins to retrieve their life jackets. Obviously they didn't know that there are life jackets available on the decks if you are out of the your cabin at the time of an emergency.

Praying for all the passengers....

and

sitting here thinking:

What would I do?

I keep all my insurance papers, phone numbers, money etc organized - but, I don't carry that around with me on the ship.

Heck, I'm so used to using my cell phone and not having anyone's numbers memorized anymore, how would I contact them?

If I had to abandoned ship in a hurry without my passport, money, phone numbers, policies...no extra clothes than what I had on at the time....no medication with me (I'm diabetic)....

I'm thinking how this changes my thinking about priorities on my cruise....

Perhaps what others wear, the food, worn carpets, etc aren't quite as important....

Lets stick with facts. Do we know there wasn't an electrical problem? Reports (nothing official) say someone said there was an electrical problem. How do we know, at this point, there wasn't an electrical problem?

Too quick to be calling people liars.

There is some talk (who knows if accurate or not) that there could have been some sort of error in the navigation system that didn't alert correctly. Presumably that is the purpose of the investigation.

There is some talk (who knows if accurate or not) that there could have been some sort of error in the navigation system that didn't alert correctly. Presumably that is the purpose of the investigation.

I agree Sail. I just get tired of the rush to judgement based on what is seen on TV, papers or the Internet. Lets wait for the facts to be sorted out. Factual, non-biased, non-emotional sources like the ship's Voyage Recorder ("black box") will answer a lot more questions. Calling people liars on small tidbits of info is emtional and not productive.

Unfortunately the media jumps on the emotional. How many comments have we heard about the "crew fled, didn't do anything"? Anybody see the American couple interviewed today who said there were announcements that they were checking on damage, to be calm. How their cabin steward checked on them. How when they went to the lifeboat stations, there were crew lowering lifeboats. So, at least from this report, the crew didn't flee.

For the ladies who say they never carry a purse on a ship, will this change your thinking? A little clutch holds a credit card, some cash, a small pill box and passport. Costa survivors wish they had those things with them right now. I'll never again leave our cabin without cash, a credit card and a ziploc with a few of our 'must have' medications.

For the ladies who say they never carry a purse on a ship, will this change your thinking? A little clutch holds a credit card, some cash, a small pill box and passport. Costa survivors wish they had those things with them right now. I'll never again leave our cabin without cash, a credit card and a ziploc with a few of our 'must have' medications.

Good idea. This idea applies anytime, anywhere. Not just aboard ship.

I'm taking your advice and will now be carrying a small envelope in my wallet which will have a one day dose of my meds. Also, I suggest carrying a slip of paper listing meds, allergies and emergency contact info.

Archived