Costa Concordia sinking (merged threads)

ItalianGuest

Bruce,

Stabilizers would not be deployed to keep the ship upright. For the fins to work there needs to be a flow of water over them to provide 'lift'... just as an aeroplane wing does... same principle.

What appears to have happened is that the stabilizers were out in normal operation but the vessel turned suddenly to starboard in between two pinnacles of rock. The stabilizer missed the rocks but the stern, slewing to port, struck the rocks.

Look at the photo and chart of the grounding position on www.seanews.com.tr

Quite easy to see where it all happened. The courses etc are tracked and recored. What is not apparent is why the ship made the first alteration of course towards the island instead of staying on the mid channel course. I just hope it was not a case of the captain going 'sightseeing'.... passing close to the island to show the passengers. I sure hope not.

Stephen

Stephen, thank you so much for this!!

I cannot believe the Captain, or whomever was at the helm tried to go through an opening so narrow that "only small fishing ships dare to navigate.":eek::eek:

I snagged a snap shot of the AIS for those who do not like to click on links can see.

Concordia-AIS.jpg.50dd82dc0381c4a2cf2dbbb1ae7dc706.jpg

Am I correct in reading the info on Sea Views that possibly the Auto Pilot malfunctioned and that if so, at 10 knots it would have taken them 1 mile to stop the ship manually, but that they simply did not have enough time??

Joanie

From the Chicago Tribune"

"The vessel's operator, Costa Crociere, a unit of Carnival Corp & Plc, the world's largest cruise operator, said it had been sailing on its regular course when it struck a submerged rock. In a television interview, the ship's commander said the rock was not marked on any maritime charts of the area."

Just imagine what Costa's costs are going to be:

Hotels for everyone

Basic clothing for everyone

Medications for people

Food for the people

Getting new passports and documents for people

Getting people home -- planes, trains, etc.

All the future cancellations for this ship

Divers

Coast Guard protection

What else?

How do they begin to compensate for lives lost?

Hotels for everyone

Medications for people

Food for the people

Divers

Coast Guard protection

What else?

I'm stating the obvious here but - all the belongings on board. The entire ships contents including passenger and crew belongings. The price of refurb - if it isn't a total loss. The cost of the food which was on board (probably a decent amount). The cost of the fuel on board (not sure if they'd lose it or be able to take it out and reuse it on another ship).

It's really just so devastating to think about.

Hotels for everyone

Medications for people

Food for the people

Divers

Coast Guard protection

What else?

...hospital bills for the injured

...helicopter charges for the airlift

...salvage of the ship

to name a few off the top of my head.:rolleyes:

Hotels for everyone

Medications for people

Food for the people

Divers

Coast Guard protection

What else?

Insurance

Wonder if it's Lloyds?

Can you imagine the deductible? :eek:

I'm stating the obvious here but - all the belongings on board. The entire ships contents including passenger and crew belongings. The price of refurb - if it isn't a total loss. The cost of the food which was on board (probably a decent amount). The cost of the fuel on board (not sure if they'd lose it or be able to take it out and reuse it on another ship).

It's really just so devastating to think about.

Opps -- I didn't get a chance to read your thread when I added a couple more.

Hotels for everyone

Medications for people

Food for the people

Divers

Coast Guard protection

What else?

And here's a big one, loss of future passengers due to lack of confidence, not only on Costa, but in the industry as a whole.

John

This is such a horrible mess for so many people - our hearts are so heavy for all - especially for those that have lost their lives and their loved ones!!

What happens to the passengers now? How will the passengers get home since they do not have their passports or money? Will the US passangers be directed to the US Embassy? Will travel insurance cover this event? This kind of stuff is not covered in a muster drill....

Stephen, thank you so much for this!!

I cannot believe the Captain, or whomever was at the helm tried to go through an opening so narrow that "only small fishing ships dare to navigate.":eek::eek:

I snagged a snap shot of the AIS for those who do not like to click on links can see.

[ATTACH]218108[/ATTACH]

Am I correct in reading the info on Sea Views that possibly the Auto Pilot malfunctioned and that if so, at 10 knots it would have taken them 1 mile to stop the ship manually, but that they simply did not have enough time??

Joanie

Joanie,

I am horrified to have to say this but I think the captain was sightseeing.

There is video footage of COSTA CONCORDIA passing very close to the harbour entrance at Isla Giglio... taken last year. She is close in and the whistles are blowing... lots of cheers from on shore. If they find that the ship was regularly taken so close inshore for 'sighteeing' a few people are going to get charged with manslaughter.

www.video.corriere.it/nave-concordia-al-giglio

This can be the only explanation as to why the ship would deliberately alter course towards the island as shown on the AIS tracking chart. Had there been something 'wrong'... the engines could have been stopped... while the ship was several miles away from the island.

Does not look good at all.\

Stephen

Joanie,

There is video footage of COSTA CONCORDIA passing very close to the harbour entrance at Isla Giglio... taken last year. She is close in and the whistles are blowing... lots of cheers from on shore. If they find that the ship was regularly taken so close inshore for 'sighteeing' a few people are going to get charged with manslaughter.

This can be the only explanation as to why the ship would deliberately alter course towards the island as shown on the AIS tracking chart. Had there been something 'wrong'... the engines could have been stopped... while the ship was several miles away from the island.

Stephen

Stephen,

I so sense you are completely right but there simply are no words........

One does pay insurance premiums ...... for insurance against losses. Which means losses naturally are part of the betting process. Sad to say.

In this case, insurance will be a wonderful thing for everybody concerned...

Remind me why I have never liked huge ships, cheap prices and quick and dirty runs with large numbers of novice passengers.

Huge ships make sense for the corporate bottom line and I guess that there are some folks who enjoy that kind of environment. I am with you that smaller more intimate ships are preferable.

John

Joanie,

Stephen

OMG!!! Sightseeing:eek::eek::eek: Sheesh... I tried to go to the link but it tells me Page Not Found.

I have to leave in about 2 minutes, so will try it again when I get home.

Joanie

Actually the captain of the Prinsendam took us sight seeing at La Gomera. He got special permission and he did have a pilot:) I thought it was very special - but we weren't too close and I am sure he knew what he was doing:)

Topsham, I have seen many of the pics. My theory- only a theory- is that if a deliberate grounding due to some other emergency was the plan, could the stabilizers be used as a support to possibly keep the ship as upright as possible to allow for evacuation.

Only the investigation will reveal all the facts.

No the stabilizers don't work at all unless there is a flow of water over the blades to provide the necessary 'lift' or force to keep the ship in the upright position.

The two blades act togther but in opposite directions. A gyroscope senses when a ship starts to lean. One blade will rotate up and the other down. The water flowing over one blade will force that side of the ship to rise and the blade of the other side forces that side down. When the ship gets to upright the blades return to flat position. As the ship rolls the other way the blades then act again... but in opposite directions. When a ship is rolling at sea the blades are constantly changing direction... all constrolled by the sensing gyroscope.

But when the ship is stopped or at slow speed the stabilizers have zero effect... so in answer to your question... they can do nothing to correct a list caused by internal relocation of weight... as in flooding.

As an extra... stabilizers can do nothing at to reduce pitching of a vessel. It only works on rolling.

Stephen

Archived