Costa Concordia sinking (merged threads)

ItalianGuest

Good idea. This idea applies anytime, anywhere. Not just aboard ship.

I'm taking your advice and will now be carrying a small envelope in my wallet which will have a one day dose of my meds. Also, I suggest carrying a slip of paper listing meds, allergies and emergency contact info.

You and I are on the same wave length today, Host Walt. :)

I just finished updating a list of DH's medications and put it in his wallet.

Interesting conflicts in sea traditions emerging: captain goes down with the ship and to subvert chain of command orders is mutiny.

If the captain is gone, and the crew can't respond on their own outside of direct orders from the top down -- what else can happen besides painful confusion?

A re-read of Billy Budd and the Caine Mutiny would be insightful as we place ourselves inside these mini-governmental units called ships.

Even if these poor people had attended the muster drill, I'm not sure it would have changed anything. Who would have thought the ship would list so quickly? One lot of lifeboats were under the water and the other side the lifeboats were almost impossible to launch. Muster drills can't cover every situation.

On the inside of each stateroom door is your evacuation route and lifeboat station. We all need to take responsibility for learning the route, regardless.

There is some talk (who knows if accurate or not) that there could have been some sort of error in the navigation system that didn't alert correctly. Presumably that is the purpose of the investigation.

When you have an accident, there is always a thorough investigation. When you have one that results in death, it is a HAL of an investigation and no stone is left unturned.

As it turns out here is a world class ship owned by THE biggest cruise line in the world (Carnival) and people died as the whole world watched it fall on its side - then the police arrested the Captain.

When witnesses get interviewed in this kind of investigation, and in these kinds of hearings, you can expect all kinds of revelations. I don't think Costa/Carnival wanted the PAX interviewed ... which accounts in part perhaps for how quickly they were repatriated. Lets keep track of how it unfolds.

I am certain there is much useful that will be learned.

Smooth sailing...

For the ladies who say they never carry a purse on a ship, will this change your thinking? A little clutch holds a credit card, some cash, a small pill box and passport. Costa survivors wish they had those things with them right now. I'll never again leave our cabin without cash, a credit card and a ziploc with a few of our 'must have' medications.

I always have a small purse with me on the ship. There is at least a 2 -3 day supply of DH's medicines in there. And I always some cash and at least one credit card.

Each of us carries a small laminated card listing all the medicines that DH takes and the dosage and how often -- in our wallets. Once on the ship I take out that card and put it into my purse along with our medical cards.

I was surprised that on my last cruise on the Noordam (Dec 2011) attendance was no longer taken at the muster drill. Nobody was enforcing any rules either. People were talking loudly, some on the cell phone, taking pictures, had drinks in their hands, etc. You could hardly hear the instructions. A young officer stood around and did nothing and the crew just stood there. After 12 years of cruising, I still retrace my steps from my stateroom to the muster station after the muster drill is held just to be sure. When something bad happens, hopefully people will panic less if they know their location and how to get to the muster. Perhaps this accident will make more pax attend the muster drill and actually pay attention. One of the mistakes people made on the Concordia was going back to their cabins to retrieve their life jackets. Obviously they didn't know that there are life jackets available on the decks if you are out of the your cabin at the time of an emergency.

We were on the Noordam Nov 11 and 21 -- same thing!!

When you have an accident, there is always a thorough investigation. When you have one that results in death, it is a HAL of an investigation and no stone is left unturned.

As it turns out here is a world class ship owned by THE biggest cruise line in the world (Carnival) and people died as the whole world watched it fall on its side - then the police arrested the Captain.

When witnesses get interviewed in this kind of investigation, and in these kinds of hearings, you can expect all kinds of revelations. I don't think Costa/Carnival wanted the PAX interviewed ... which accounts in part perhaps for how quickly they were repatriated. Lets keep track of how it unfolds.

I am certain there is much useful that will be learned.

Smooth sailing...

Yes, to all of that except the part that Carnival Cruise Line owns Costa. Just to avoid confusion, it is Carnival Corporation.

They would be very happy if all guests were 'unavailable for comment' but that is not likely to happen. We've heard from some and the line to tell their story is probably quite lengthy.

Hard to know what really happened from the varying versions we are hearing. Probably as many accurate versions as there were guests evacuated.

Each had their own experience.

It is still so hard to look at the photos of that ship in that circumstance.

All we can do is wait, watch and listen and someday we may get the official version.

Yes, to all of that except the part that Carnival Cruise Line owns Costa. Just to avoid confusion, it is Carnival Corporation.

They would be very happy if all guests were 'unavailable for comment' but that is not likely to happen. We've heard from some and the line to tell their story is probably quite lengthy.

Hard to know what really happened from the varying versions we are hearing. Probably as many accurate versions as there were guests evacuated.

Each had their own experience.

It is still so hard to look at the photos of that ship in that circumstance.

All we can do is wait, watch and listen and someday we may get the official version.

You are right.Carnival corp.

Newspapers and electronic media have been known to pay for good interviews (the more "compelling" the better). Talk shows may be flooded with survivors, some of which will be selling books. There will be the hearings with the company trying to look good, and politicians trying to make them look bad.

Through all the hyperbole the various Justices will have to sort it out...then there may be charges of corruption even there. (There is precedent in the EU for this so no flaming.)

And then there is the National Enquirer.:eek:

Through it all, I am certain some good will come of it. In the name of those who perished, there has to be.

This story will go away once all the passengers are accounted for, bodies recovered, and the salvage effort begins for real. Then it becomes an issue of sealing the holes in the ship, removing what can be removed, and refloating. Then its off the the drydock to be refurbished, and finally recomissioned.

So how many of you are ready to book a ship that already sank, and took the lives of X number of passengers?:eek: This happens to a cargo ship, no one cares, but a cruise ship, that's a whole other story. I think Costa looks for a buyer, and tries to put this behind them. I doubt that CCL will keep the ship anywhere in its corporate stable.

This story will go away once all the passengers are accounted for, bodies recovered, and the salvage effort begins for real. Then it becomes an issue of sealing the holes in the ship, removing what can be removed, and refloating. Then its off the the drydock to be refurbished, and finally recomissioned.

So how many of you are ready to book a ship that already sank, and took the lives of X number of passengers?:eek: This happens to a cargo ship, no one cares, but a cruise ship, that's a whole other story. I think Costa looks for a buyer, and tries to put this behind them. I doubt that CCL will keep the ship anywhere in its corporate stable.

I agree they will try to find a buyer, have the ship renamed and she'll sail under a different flag.

For the right price, they'll find a buyer.

Earlier in this thread, we read the company charged with refloating and towing her to wherever Costa (Carnival Corp.) wants drydock says repairs will run about $150 million. :eek:

I didn't get the impression that includes the Salvage Company bill.

And there is no chance I would sail that ship regardless what the investigation shows.

HAL has always run excellent life boat drills IMO

Of all the cruise lines we have sailed, HAL has always conducted the most serious and informative drills.

I have to tell you Sail, in November on the NA, no attendance was taken, we didn't have to bring life preservers, and when we to the Lido Pool for sail away immediately afterwards there were about a dozen people sunbathing.

It seems like things have changed a bit... or perhaps maybe just on that sailing...

Sail- Thank you for the muster info. We have always thought the muster was required before departure and thought attendance was mandatory. (Now we know about a muster required within 24 hours of sailing.)

Although musters cannot cover all emergency info- they are absolutely necessary and should be taken seriously without the talking and laughing that sometimes occurs.

I certainly recall when attendance was taken, that it took a very long, boring time to complete as the leader called out the long sequence of cabin numbers - time that would have been better spent on safety information. Why not have a keycard reader available so that everyone runs their keycard through it as they arrive at the muster station? Anyone who didn't attend would then be called to schedule a makeup muster.

I have to tell you Sail, in November on the NA, no attendance was taken, we didn't have to bring life preservers, and when we to the Lido Pool for sail away immediately afterwards there were about a dozen people sunbathing.

It seems like things have changed a bit... or perhaps maybe just on that sailing...

We were also surprised when on the Eurodam in September that no attendance was taken. This was our first experience since being on the Ryndam when attendance was taken. I hope they go back to it-people need to take this serious and not just as an "option".

If you had read my earlier posts you would have seen that on the Noordam -- life boat drill was terrible.

We sailed Nieuw Amsterdam for two cruises right after you.

Though they do not take attendance, do you not think they still run a good life boat drill? What is less informative and instructive about it than ever before? :confused:

The people you saw at Lido could have been in transits who did drill the week before and were excused for the next drill. That has happened to us on several cruises.

For the ladies who say they never carry a purse on a ship, will this change your thinking? A little clutch holds a credit card, some cash, a small pill box and passport. Costa survivors wish they had those things with them right now. I'll never again leave our cabin without cash, a credit card and a ziploc with a few of our 'must have' medications.

Good idea. This idea applies anytime, anywhere. Not just aboard ship.

I'm taking your advice and will now be carrying a small envelope in my wallet which will have a one day dose of my meds. Also, I suggest carrying a slip of paper listing meds, allergies and emergency contact info.

This incident has made me rethink a couple things, just as the Splendor fire did. After that fire I added a small flashlight to my cruise supplies.

I have always carried a small purse with me on a ship...usually one that has a long strap so I can put it across my chest and not worry about it.

I've also been in the habit of having our passports, a credit card, and some cash in a Ziploc bag to take ashore. Now that this has happened I will probably start putting that Ziploc in the zipper pocket of my small purse and keeping it with me. I use my phone as an iPod, so that's usually with me too, and I would have contact information if I needed it.

Recent tragedy brings to mind these thoughts....unlike past years when ship's officers were employed by the their parent 'lines', nowadays everyone of them seem to be a 'contract employee'.

That being the case, it seems small wonder that, in event of a tragedy, the first people off the ship would be the captain and the crew. Why not? How much loyalty would a contract employee have??

I use to comfort myself with the thought that in event of some such tragedy, our white-bearded loyal HAL captain would be the last on-board, firmly stationed at the steering wheel as the ship slipped beneath the waves......Guess I might be sleeping a little less soundly on the HAL 'O' in a few weeks.

Sail- Thank you for the muster info. We have always thought the muster was required before departure and thought attendance was mandatory. (Now we know about a muster required within 24 hours of sailing.)

Although musters cannot cover all emergency info- they are absolutely necessary and should be taken seriously without the talking and laughing that sometimes occurs.

On some Alaskan cruises -- we leave Seward at 8 or 9 PM. Far too late to have a life boat drill.

We had them the next morning -- usually around 10 AM.

Archived