Costa Concordia sinking (merged threads)

ItalianGuest

World Citizen - Carnival may be getting off to a bad start. But, I'm not any more impressed with legal geniuses who mouth off "What they should be doing is telling these people to get some legal advice."

Traumatized survivors don't need slimy plaintiff lawyers, putting together class actions before the last bodies are found, any more than they need slimy defense lawyers looking for low settlements.

How about, "What everyone should be doing is looking out for these peoples' long term welfare, rather than how to make/save a buck on their pain?"

Given the insulting compensation offer being made getting legal advice would be prudent....

Given the insulting compensation offer being made getting legal advice would be prudent....

I guess I need to ask - just how much money would compensate for what they went through??? Please, name a number.

How about, as alluded to by fannish in a previous post, putting a plan of care in place with access to doctors, counsellers etc over the long term - and I mean long term, free of charge, to help them through the trauma.

I have never understood "going for the money" thing - I don't know your American health care system, but it would seem to me that all the money in the world doesn't help with the healing IF YOU DON"T KNOW where to go for help. Better to have Carnival Corp set up a GOOD system with telephone help as an initial contact, where trained professionals listen to the caller and then refer them to the appropriate professionals, at Carnival's expense, to deal with the mental trauma of this event.

JMHO

Mar56

I guess I need to ask - just how much money would compensate for what they went through

The the answer to that question will be established through negotiation between the pax, the estates of the those who perished and Costa/Carnival.

My guess is there will be lawyers involved. :eek:

Smooth sailing...

The the answer to that question will be established through negotiation between the pax, the estates of the those who perished and Costa/Carnival.

My guess is there will be lawyers involved. :eek:

Smooth sailing...

I think I was asking on a more humanistic level, rather than a monetary/financial level.

Talking about the female whose body was recovered yesterday, BBC news has reported

"The head of the Civil Protection Agency, Franco Gabrielli, said the woman had not been identified but may be a Hungarian who was not on the embarkation list.

There could have been more "illegals" on board, he said, referring to people who had not registered to be on the ship"

How can this happen? Who allowed these people onboard?

I feel it is very important on a ship or on an aircraft that there is an accurate list of who is onboard.

Apart from accounting for everyone if there is an incident as on Concordia, what about security?

I think I was asking on a more humanistic level, rather than a monetary/financial level.

You are looking for humanistic in this? Costa/Carnival is throwing the Captain under the bus because if Costa/Carnival is found guilty of gross negligence, they may be liable for punitive damages.

Corporate lawyers are working every strategy to minimize financial impact on Costa/Carnival. Against this background, I would say seeking legal counsel is prudent.

But this is all academic. Does anyone believe that the victims of this tragedy didn't seek legal counsel when they went home? Does anyone think that the bereaved - the families of the deceased haven't sought out lawyers? Do you think they needed other people's advice to do so?

I have sought out legal counsel where much less was at stake, and I benefitted from it. So will the litigants here.

I get you, but it may be a Canadian thing. Seems like there's a genetic level impulse to *first thing* form a group....to come to a consensus....of how authority can help.

Like you, I think lawyering up comes later.

The really smart mega firms shoulda/coulda/mighta had teams on the ground right after the accident, providing free assistance on mundane stuff no one else wanted to talk about - buying underwear and feminine hygiene products. Hand out cards, "when you're ready to talk..."

(World Citizen, we posted at the same time. You're not wrong....but lawyers add to your stress, and I still think one week is a bit early. Unless, of course, someone asks you to sign something.)

I am a Canadian. Armed with all the wonderful things that means, I would still not want to face Costa/Carnival alone.

I agree with you - it's just IMHO it can't be just about money that they go for. My point is that all the money in the world isn't going to help you if you are traumatized (sp?). They need more - hence my comments re help lines and medical care available etc. It's my observation that the lawyers go for the money. I think there needs to be more to it - otherwise you just have a larger bank account, and mental health issues down the road with perhaps no idea of where to go for help.

Mar56

I am a Canadian. Armed with all the wonderful things that means, I would still not want to face Costa/Carnival alone.

Again - you're not wrong. And you're persuading me.

(And, I actually knew your place of residence...one of my favourite posts...someone asked if it was too cold to swim on Canada itineraries, and you informed them the pools froze solid as soon as the ship entered Canadian waters, and didn't thaw until the ship returned to the U.S.)

There will be a class action suit(s), of course, and I don't think you can lawyer-up too early. You can be sure the victims all are being contacted by attorneys already working on a suit against any and all possible litigants- Costa, Carnival, shipbuilders, etc, etc. Costa and Carnival are already trying to save their hides and are not sitting still. Costa's offer of a refund for this cruise and a 30% discount on the next Costa cruise is so ludicrous as to be more than insulting. They'll probably up it and add $100 OBC.

Like I really would take Costa/Carnival's concern about my mental health seriously! I'd handle that myself through my local health professionals.

Like I really would take Costa/Carnival's concern about my mental health seriously! I'd handle that myself through my local health professionals.

Peaches, with all due respect, that's wonderful that you would be able to take care of any mental health issues yourself. However, based on my experience, which is considerable, with people with mental health issues, a "navigator" of sorts is often needed to point them in the right direction, to help them wade through the paperwork, phone calls and red tape required to get to the right people with the services that they personally require. That's assuming that they even recognize that their mental health is fragile. I'm just saying that in addition to a payout to each person who survived the Concordia, there should be, IMHO, an additional amount set aside to assist with these issues.

Mar56

How can this happen?
It's really quite serious if Costa doesn't have an accurate passenger list. It could render rather indeterminate the "number of missing" for whom these (painstaking and dangerous) searches are being carried out.

However, one would also have thought that as passengers going on holiday or working on ships usually have family and friends who know where they're supposed to be, the Italian authorities would have been passed reliable reports of missing people who are believed to have been on the ship, even if they were not on Costa's list.

So the fact that this is now news is all very curious.

It is reported that the woman was on deck 7 wearing a life jacket.
I have been starting to wonder whether some of the passengers may have actually been killed rather than saved by their lifejackets. If you're in a place in which you could be trapped by rising water, and you're wearing your lifejacket, you might be unable to get to safety by swimming under water.

Airlines, which carry inflatable lifejackets are very careful to tell you not to inflate your lifejacket until you are outside the aircraft. One reason for this is in at least one accident where the post-crash events are well known, people drowned inside the aircraft because they inflated their lifejackets before leaving the aircraft, and were then trapped by rising water because they were unable to get down below the surface to the level of the open doors (through which they could easily have escaped).

As a fellow Canadian with "all the wonderful things that means";)

I agree that a compassionate approach to the mental health issues (I am sure will arise for most survivors), would go a long way in improving Costas public image right now.

I just wish they had looked to the mental health of this sea Captain ,before placing thousands of peoples lives.

in his apparent narcissistic hands.

Sorry I missed the ' frozen pool 'post ..very funny.:D

Colleen

by Costa:eek: captain is claiming they told him to do it. Moreover black box was broken - here's the link http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/01/22/us-italy-ship-idUSTRE80D08220120122

Thank you for the link.

Another -- he said -- they say -- he claims -- they claim, etc.

Article also talks about that there may have been several unregistered passengers on board.

As a fellow Canadian with "all the wonderful things that means";)

I agree that a compassionate approach to the mental health issues (I am sure will arise for most survivors), would go a long way in improving Costas public image right now.

I just wish they had looked to the mental health of this sea Captain ,before placing thousands of peoples lives.

in his apparent narcissistic hands.

Sorry I missed the ' frozen pool 'post ..very funny.:D

Colleen

These days compassion comes with a price, and further legal obligations down the road. I suspect it will be lawyers more than psychologists that portion it out.

Imagine that. A compassionate lawyer.:eek:

Smooth sailing...

These days compassion comes with a price, and further legal obligations down the road. I suspect it will be lawyers more than psychologists that portion it out.

Imagine that. A compassionate lawyer.:eek:

Smooth sailing...

And that's exactly why I posted my question about how much was enough. Ah well. Different living environments make for different view points on these things. world~citizen, I hadn't seen the post of yours re the pools before. Very funny!! We live in a border city and yes, we see people coming across our bridge in the summer with skis. lol.

Mar56

Archived