Costa Concordia sinking (merged threads)

ItalianGuest

These days compassion comes with a price, and further legal obligations down the road. I suspect it will be lawyers more than psychologists that portion it out.

Imagine that. A compassionate lawyer.:eek:

Smooth sailing...

My brother practices Law in Ottawa....he seems fairly compassionate.. he does ask how I am when he calls.:D:D

Regards Colleen

Why do I suspect that this guy would say anything to save his sorry a$$ !!!:rolleyes:

He's good at stories-that's for sure - time will tell what's true and what's not. but I seriously doubt that he 'fell' into the life boat

Fellow HAL cruisers, I just can not believe the stuff I keep hearing about this Costa crew and ship. It is almost unbelievable. If I wrote a book outlining everything I have heard, a publisher would refuse to consider it because it would be so unbelievable. The latest I heard this morning was that Costa was going to offer a 30% discount on future cruise for these passangers. Are you kidding me? Is this line actually overseen by Carnival, the same Carnival that is the parent company to HAL? Isn't it about time for Carnival to step up and show should integrity and leadership. Quite frankly, while I think HAL captains would have much more integrity and skill and less bravado and ego, I am now wondering about Carnival overall. It is concerning to me how a corporation could treat their revenue stream so poorly. I'm going to hold off on making my next cruise plan until I see how some of this plays out. Truely sad!

Fellow HAL cruisers, I just can not believe the stuff I keep hearing about this Costa crew and ship. It is almost unbelievable. If I wrote a book outlining everything I have heard, a publisher would refuse to consider it because it would be so unbelievable. The latest I heard this morning was that Costa was going to offer a 30% discount on future cruise for these passangers. Are you kidding me? Is this line actually overseen by Carnival, the same Carnival that is the parent company to HAL? Isn't it about time for Carnival to step up and show should integrity and leadership. Quite frankly, while I think HAL captains would have much more integrity and skill and less bravado and ego, I am now wondering about Carnival overall. It is concerning to me how a corporation could treat their revenue stream so poorly. I'm going to hold off on making my next cruise plan until I see how some of this plays out. Truely sad!

I believe this offer is for the passengers whose cruises have been cancelled (scheduled to go on the ship). I don't believe the offer has come out to the people who were on the ship. (at least I hope this offer is not for them) The news worded it badly.

Surely Teddy Arison is smarter than that!

I don't know - there are now two articles out saying it is going to the survivors - I just can't help but think they wouldn't do this.

here are the links: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2090573/Costa-Concordia-survivors-offered-30-discount-cruise-amid-100m-lawsuit-threat.html?ito=feeds-newsxml and http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/01/23/costa-concordia-disaster-_n_1223257.html

The way it was worded earlier this morning I took it to mean to the future cruise people but:confused::confused::confused::confused:

I believe this offer is for the passengers whose cruises have been cancelled (scheduled to go on the ship). I don't believe the offer has come out to the people who were on the ship. (at least I hope this offer is not for them) The news worded it badly.

I understand the same thing as Kazu -- the 30% off plus all your money back (deposits for some people -- and full payments that were made by others) is for those passengers who were booked on future cruises on the Concordia.

I understand the same thing as Kazu -- the 30% off plus all your money back (deposits for some people -- and full payments that were made by others) is for those passengers who were booked on future cruises on the Concordia.

Cannot find it in the more than 4000 posts on the Costa thread I've been following from the start, but yesterday someone there posted that the Future Cruise Credit is for the New/Old Costa neo Romantica that used to be the Costa Romantica and is now in Dry Dock being modernized for debut in, I think June 2012...

Joanie

The link below should take you to a good graphic depicting the events of the sinking. Found it in the National Post article this morning...You should be able to click on the diagram to enlarge it once you have it up....FYI

http://nationalpostnews.files.wordpress.com/2012/01/fo0121_cruisesinksmall.jpg

Cannot find it in the more than 4000 posts on the Costa thread I've been following from the start, but yesterday someone there posted that the Future Cruise Credit is for the New/Old Costa neo Romantica that used to be the Costa Romantica and is now in Dry Dock being modernized for debut in, I think June 2012...

Joanie

here's one of them Joanie http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1555354

While Carnival Corporation is the holding company for 11 different lines, according to Wikipedia, the operatons are as follows:

"Executive control of each brand is by geographical location, with Carnival Corporation controlling operations in North America, Carnival UK controlling operations in the United Kingdom and Costa Cruises Group controlling operations in the rest of Europe. P&O Cruises Australia is operated by Carnival UK as a sister company of P&O Cruises."

In other words, you may be painting Carnival Corp with too wide a brush if that is where you are placing the blame.

I just heard a news report they will begin pumping out the fuel from Concordia tomorrow.

I was thrilled to hear it and pray they do so safely with no injury to any of the workers and no spoilage to the environment. To see a fuel spill along the beautiful Italian West Coast would be awful.

It will be interesting to see what the removal of 200,000 gallons or more of fuel will do to the stability of the ship. One thing's for sure. This is a dangerous operation considering the narrowness of the shelf the ship is sitting on.

It will be interesting to see what the removal of 200,000 gallons or more of fuel will do to the stability of the ship. One thing's for sure. This is a dangerous operation considering the narrowness of the shelf the ship is sitting on.

I read that they would be pumping water in to replace the oil removed to keep

it at a similar weight.

I know this kind of thing can happen, but I have always figured with all the GPS and information these days that it would be very, very, VERY unlikely.

Yes, but it's like driving a car. You can still drive it off the road even though you know where you are. :(

Archived