Costa Concordia sinking (merged threads)

ItalianGuest

I don't know if all of you read this. But it was very good.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-16638399

Good article. The latest is that the Capt ordered dinner for him and some girl after he hit the rocks. Other interviews say earlier. I think she is covering for him in her interview and I don't trust her account as she is an employee of Costa. I think they ate dinner, went to the bridge, he hit the rocks and then left the ship without the safety of the passengers as first priority. I bet the timeline will show how early he left the ship. Why no mayday or distress call from him or any of his officers? The passengers with cell phones were calling in the situation. Why isn't the media talking to the other officers? Is this because they too did nothing and are hiding?

I was shocked the captain was released to house arrest. The Italian justice system does not compare to the American style of presumed innocence- or so we were told during the Amanda Knox marathon incarceration.

The captain is most responsible but the parent company was lax in its oversight. Did anyone at Carnival Costa review tracking records of the ship? How do they oversee their captains and high officers? I'll bet from now on surveillance will increase.

Unlike the detailed informative BBC link, this Canadian one is high on emotional content, and low on facts...but seems to reflect the prevailing mood:

http://www2.macleans.ca/2012/01/19/the-costa-concordia-shipwreck-as-an-italian-opera/?utm_source=_BPGb$NB8fkfi9l&utm_content=ml20&utm_medium=email

I cannot help but like the levity the journalist put into this article. There were a number of things mentioned, that I must admit, brought a smile to my face, just thinking of sitting in an audience watching such an opera.

Thank you for this little light hearted spin on the 1 week anniversary of this tragedy.

Joanie

Unlike the detailed informative BBC link, this Canadian one is high on emotional content, and low on facts...but seems to reflect the prevailing mood:

http://www2.macleans.ca/2012/01/19/the-costa-concordia-shipwreck-as-an-italian-opera/?utm_source=_BPGb$NB8fkfi9l&utm_content=ml20&utm_medium=email

A clever interpretation by Mr. Newland! Thanks for sharing.

I cannot help but like the levity the journalist put into this article. There were a number of things mentioned, that I must admit, brought a smile to my face, just thinking of sitting in an audience watching such an opera.

Thank you for this little light hearted spin on the 1 week anniversary of this tragedy.

Joanie

I too enjoyed it and marvel at how real tragedy can become such a story.

Have you seen this news?

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/Costa-CEO-says-captain-misled-apf-1369325267.html?x=0

Costa is turning their back on the capt... Including suspending him, not paying his legal fees, and joining the prosecution in a civil case against him.... For repeatedly not communicating the severity of the incident, delaying the abandonment of the ship.

$10 says this dude commits suicide soon. I hope not. That's the easy way out. He needs to be punished for his actions.

This is a bit of the news that actually hit me and was a bit eery

Related Content

• 49a8ff190639d702040f6a706700cd94_original.jpg In this undated underwater photo released by Carabinieri (Italian paramilitary police) Friday, Jan. 20, 2012 two Carabinieri scuba divers swim next to the Costa Concordia cruise ship's bell, off the tiny Giglio island, Italy. The $450 million Costa Concordia was carrying more than 4,200 passengers and crew when it slammed into well-marked rocks off the island of Giglio after the captain made an unauthorized diversion from his programmed route. The ship then keeled over on its side. (AP Photo/Carabinieri)

Have you seen this news?

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/Costa-CEO-says-captain-misled-apf-1369325267.html?x=0

Costa is turning their back on the capt... Including suspending him, not paying his legal fees, and joining the prosecution in a civil case against him.... For repeatedly not communicating the severity of the incident, delaying the abandonment of the ship.

$10 says this dude commits suicide soon. I hope not. That's the easy way out. He needs to be punished for his actions.

Thanks, I hadn't seen this. Probably a smart move on Costa's part - put all the blame on the captain!

http://www.prefettura.it/grosseto/news/1416158.htm#News_22384

I haven't read every post so my apologies if this has been linked to previously; a sad list of the missing.

Such a tragedy and so close to land and safety.

Missing and now presumed dead.

These may be the most unnecessary deaths in the history of unnecessary deaths.

Have you seen this news?

Thanks for the link - I hadn't seen this report.

BBC News are reporting another body has been found. An unidentified woman bringing the number of dead to 12.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-16666669

and unfortunately, another one with their life jacket one :eek: I believe that makes 6 so far with their life jackets on - makes you wonder:confused::confused:

I pray God (or whoever you may believe in) that all these poor souls are resting in peace.

Thanks, I hadn't seen this. Probably a smart move on Costa's part - put all the blame on the captain!

Smart? Directing the blame on the captain doesn't absolve Costa of its own responsibility. Costa will undoubtdly find itself to be a defendant. It was, after all, Costa who hired, trained and paid this man. One other observation, of the 24 missing and presumed deal, only two were not passengers. Does this say something about Costa's training of their crews?

Smart? Directing the blame on the captain doesn't absolve Costa of its own responsibility. Costa will undoubtdly find itself to be a defendant. It was, after all, Costa who hired, trained and paid this man. One other observation, of the 24 missing and presumed deal, only two were not passengers. Does this say something about Costa's training of their crews?

Carnival PR and damage control is getting off to a very bad start:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/europe/italy/9030212/Costa-Concordia-insulting-cruise-offer-to-survivors.html

don't misunderstand my comment - smart - as in Costa trying to re-direct blame. Since the captain has done it more than once, I think they all share the blame. To me this is a travesty that shouldn't have happened

World Citizen - Carnival may be getting off to a bad start. But, I'm not any more impressed with legal geniuses who mouth off "What they should be doing is telling these people to get some legal advice."

Traumatized survivors don't need slimy plaintiff lawyers, putting together class actions before the last bodies are found, any more than they need slimy defense lawyers looking for low settlements.

How about, "What everyone should be doing is looking out for these peoples' long term welfare, rather than how to make/save a buck on their pain?"

World Citizen - Carnival may be getting off to a bad start. But, I'm not any more impressed with legal geniuses who mouth off "What they should be doing is telling these people to get some legal advice."

Traumatized survivors don't need slimy plaintiff lawyers, putting together class actions before the last bodies are found, any more than they need slimy defense lawyers looking for low settlements.

How about, "What everyone should be doing is looking out for these peoples' long term welfare, rather than how to make/save a buck on their pain?"

Well said Patricia

Archived