Costa Concordia sinking (merged threads)

ItalianGuest

http://travel.usatoday.com/cruises/post/2012/01/carnival-bookings-costa-concordia-accident/616043/1

The world's largest cruise company today revealed that bookings have dropped significantly in the wake of the Costa Concordia disaster.

Industry giant Carnival Corp., the parent company of 10 major cruise brands including Costa, Carnival, Princess and Holland America, said in a regulatory filing that bookings at the non-Costa brands declined "in the mid-teens," percentage-wise, in the 12 days after the accident as compared to the same period a year ago.

Thanks for the link, not surprising but I bet nothing like that happens after a plane crash.

I was listening to a report yesterday that no matter what decision they make for the Concordia -- it will be at least a year before the ship is either moved or scraped or whatever.

This link say 7-10 months:

http://travel.usatoday.com/cruises/story/2012-01-29/Rough-seas-still-delay-work-on-grounded-Italian-liner/52867316/1

Hard to understand why so long.

Actually as re-read it I think the 7-10 months is the time after they start, they said another 2 months to get bids.

Thanks for the link, not surprising but I bet nothing like that happens after a plane crash.

Can I just ask what you mean by that? How similar are cruises and airplane flights? Does anyone really fly for enjoyment? Cruises are really not transportation from point A to point B anymore. I'm not sure your comment is relevant- but you are not the first person to post it.

What I mean is there are many activities in life that pose dangers including plane flights and cruises. In both cases, the odds are very much stacked against death or injury yet when a cruise ship has a tragedy it appears to have impacted behaviors while an airplane tragedy does not. I understand that cruises and airplanes are used for different purposes. As for the relevancy of my comment, that is for me to decide.

What I mean is there are many activities in life that pose dangers including plane flights and cruises. In both cases, the odds are very much stacked against death or injury yet when a cruise ship has a tragedy it appears to have impacted behaviors while an airplane tragedy does not. I understand that cruises and airplanes are used for different purposes. As for the relevancy of my comment, that is for me to decide.

Sorry, Kirk, didn't mean for that to be as snarky as it looks now! I am a lawyer, I was at work and just shot off that question to you- I really was asking (believe it or not):o. But you are by no means the first to make that same comparison. I'm the only one who doesn't get it. It seems that cruises are discretionary but that plane flights are a necessary evil. Oh well, it's just a huge nightmare all around....

Sorry, Kirk, didn't mean for that to be as snarky as it looks now! I am a lawyer, I was at work and just shot off that question to you- I really was asking (believe it or not):o. But you are by no means the first to make that same comparison. I'm the only one who doesn't get it. It seems that cruises are discretionary but that plane flights are a necessary evil. Oh well, it's just a huge nightmare all around....

No harm, no foul, I think I was equally snarky :eek:.

Actually cruises do get you from A to B. A lot of people use them to get them across the ocean. it can be cheaper than flying business class. Many from Europe use them to get to the US and other countries and vice versa.

As to the comment that this is a choice and airlines aren't???? Do we have a choice - we need the airlines and if we want to visit we need the cruise lines. I don't really see much difference at all.:D

Costa & Carnival if the Concordia is not removed!

here is the link http://www.montrealgazette.com/travel/Remove+sunken+Costa+Concordia+islanders/6074352/story.html

While I understand the islanders' frustration, it isn't like they can put a chain on the Concordia and tow it out to sea.

At some point, I would think Costa will be forced to set up a fund, a la BP and the Gulf Coast, to make the locals whole.

By msnbc.com news services

GIGLIO, Italy -- Italian emergency officials say they are calling off a search for missing people in the submerged part of the Costa Concordia cruise ship, due to the danger to rescue workers, according to the Associated Press.

Italy's Civil Protection agency said Tuesday that technical studies indicated that the deformed hull of the ship created too many safety concerns to continue the search. It said in a statement that relatives and diplomatic officials representing the countries of the missing have been informed of the decision.

B

GIGLIO, Italy -- Italian emergency officials say they are calling off a search for missing people in the submerged part of the Costa Concordia cruise ship, due to the danger to rescue workers, according to the Associated Press.

Italy's Civil Protection agency said Tuesday that technical studies indicated that the deformed hull of the ship created too many safety concerns to continue the search. It said in a statement that relatives and diplomatic officials representing the countries of the missing have been informed of the decision.

B

What another layer of burden for those grieving families. My heart goes out to them. m--

B

Very sad indeed.

Thank you for this information.

http://travel.usatoday.com/cruises/post/2012/01/carnival-bookings-costa-concordia-accident/616043/1

The world's largest cruise company today revealed that bookings have dropped significantly in the wake of the Costa Concordia disaster.

Industry giant Carnival Corp., the parent company of 10 major cruise brands including Costa, Carnival, Princess and Holland America, said in a regulatory filing that bookings at the non-Costa brands declined "in the mid-teens," percentage-wise, in the 12 days after the accident as compared to the same period a year ago.

Thank you for the link.

B

Unfortunately, diving in enclosed spaces is always very dangerous in that you or your equipment can get snagged on debris. And you have to make sure that you can find your way back out before your air runs out, in often totally dark areas. It would be most tragic if a diver were added to the list of fatalities.

Wow - it's going to take 28 days to empty those fuel tanks :eek:

Costa is taking bids on the ship whether to move or cut up and that could take 2 months and removal of the ship could take up to 10 months :eek:

The poor islanders are getting upset - tourism is their only livelihood and with that long a time frame (no boats are allowed near the ship) they are very much afraid of how they are going to make a living http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5g-rMKhVTLt1WHPUf-TXM6Sx3J0Gw?docId=18b06bc688774d42984b361c1a03a0f0

It seems that they are giving up on ever returning Concordia to service since, in addition to all the expense of replacing everything, people would be very reluctant to sail on her, even under a new name for a different cruise line.

But there are still two options. Either cut her up on Giglio, or patch the hull, then float her and tow her to a traditional scrapping area. I'm sure the islanders would prefer the latter option.

Unfortunately, diving in enclosed spaces is always very dangerous in that you or your equipment can get snagged on debris. And you have to make sure that you can find your way back out before your air runs out, in often totally dark areas. It would be most tragic if a diver were added to the list of fatalities.

I agree with you that safety must come first, but it is still very unfortunate for the families of the victims.

B

• 1 month later...
I heard that yesterday on our local news about the finding of 5 more bodies.

Yes - They were found between the hull and the rocks...

...must have fallen/jumped overboard and become trapped/drowned when the ship rolled over.

Terrible way to die - I hope that Schettino pays dearly for his hubris.

Archived