ABC to air 20/20 special "Cruise Ship Confidential"

it was called "tragedy at sea" under the banner "fox news reporting".

It was alot better than the 20/20 report but whenever I see Geraldo I keep thinking of him and Capones vault:eek:

I may be wrong but I think Geraldo's show airs on weekends and then the same show is broadcast during the week on Fox at 1 am, etc. His show was the polar opposite of ABC's gutter reporting relying on outrageous posts from youtube.

Geraldo is an active sailor and attended the Maritime college in New York for 2 years from 61-63. He did a very very good job.

Well dang it - looking at my Uverse they rerun Geraldo on Sunday and Monday and that's it for the week. Grrr. :( Guess I can check my On Demand but I ain't holding my breath. I'm surprised it's not on Fox's website.
I know how you feel about missing a good show. However, there wasn't anything new. I didn't know what to expect after ABC. It was nice to know that there are still actual reporters out there who do not stoop to the sensational. Remember the 16 year old girl who tried to sail around the world by herself? Geraldo either did a special or commented on one of the Fox shows. He said her sailboat wasn't equipped for that kind of voyage. I've seen several clips of him and mistakenly thought he had actually participated in the World Cup. He's quite the seaman.

In my many cruises since 2009, I have never seen a fight or heard a loud party from the crew bar area.

In fact on my last cruise while at port I met up with a crew member at a bar in Janaca had a few beers then the crew member was heading back for a nap before the evening shift started. This was around 11am.

My opinoin on the 2 shows are 20/20 was a joke and probably wont watch them again. Fox was very good because they stayed on topic the whole time.

I have been on 19 cruises, 7 or more days each, with the first one being in 1987. I was really upset with the 20/20 program on cruising. It was the most slanted sensationalism I have seen on this industry. If you noticed the videos they showed obviously were taken by people with cell phones. The drunks were probably people in their 20's who had been drinking all day and partied until the wee hours of the morning. Granted, I will agree with one thing they said on this show. Yes, cruise personnel do push the buying of alochol drinks. I have been up late, but never witnessed fights. The part about people overboard and/or lost at sea was tragic for the families, but if you compare this amount to the amount of people that have cruised you will find it a very low percentage. No one ever went overboard on the cruises I have been on. Next was the crew parties. Yes, the crew does have a party room, but they do not party all the time. When you work 12-16 hour days, 7 days a week, 4-6 months straight you do not get drunk every night!!! Most of them collapse from exhaustion and know that the next day they have to be smiling and serving the customers because they want you back for another cruise. I chat with the crew a lot and most of them have family back home they are helping to support. As you can see, I did not like this show. Our news media has gone too far the last few years and only wants to show the bad things that are sensational.

I have been on 19 cruises, 7 or more days each, with the first one being in 1987. I was really upset with the 20/20 program on cruising. It was the most slanted sensationalism I have seen on this industry. If you noticed the videos they showed obviously were taken by people with cell phones. The drunks were probably people in their 20's who had been drinking all day and partied until the wee hours of the morning. Granted, I will agree with one thing they said on this show. Yes, cruise personnel do push the buying of alochol drinks. I have been up late, but never witnessed fights. The part about people overboard and/or lost at sea was tragic for the families, but if you compare this amount to the amount of people that have cruised you will find it a very low percentage. No one ever went overboard on the cruises I have been on. Next was the crew parties. Yes, the crew does have a party room, but they do not party all the time. When you work 12-16 hour days, 7 days a week, 4-6 months straight you do not get drunk every night!!! Most of them collapse from exhaustion and know that the next day they have to be smiling and serving the customers because they want you back for another cruise. I chat with the crew a lot and most of them have family back home they are helping to support. As you can see, I did not like this show. Our news media has gone too far the last few years and only wants to show the bad things that are sensational.

yet, no one can say these incidents do not occur.

listen carefully, and you hear them state that these occurances are on the rare side, yet proceeded to show them anyway.

The ABC program was an outright hatchet job. They focused on nothing but mistakes, passenger misbehavior, and fanning fears while demonizing Carnival. One might call it yellow journalism, but I think it isn't journalism at all. Most of us have had great experiences cruising and will continue to do so. I regret the fear that they have instilled in first-time cruisers and are perhaps the impetus for people canceling planned trips. Kind of reminiscent of the Alar scare with the Washington apple industry. Totally unfounded and unfair.

The ABC program was an outright hatchet job. They focused on nothing but mistakes, passenger misbehavior, and fanning fears while demonizing Carnival. One might call it yellow journalism, but I think it isn't journalism at all. Most of us have had great experiences cruising and will continue to do so. I regret the fear that they have instilled in first-time cruisers and are perhaps the impetus for people canceling planned trips. Kind of reminiscent of the Alar scare with the Washington apple industry. Totally unfounded and unfair.

same as what they did with the auto mechanics the previous week. wonder if there was any outrage on autoshop.com?

There is very little journalism these days -- mostly just opinion/attack pieces. The ABC show was typical of the "News Magazine" genre. The accident gave them an opportunity to use some cruise line stuff they had on hand. They advertised it based on the Concordia, but that was a minimal part of the show. The "passengers gone wild" stuff and the below decks crew partying obviously have little to do with the causes of an accident like this. The spur of the moment "cut and paste" nature of the show was underscored by the unrelated clip involving JFK Jr.'s assistant at the end. Obvious filler. There were several places where they were [in my judgment] blatantly misleading/dishonest. For example, mis-identifying the lawyer for the first 2-3 times he appeared. The subscript identified him as a "maritime security expert" 2-3 times before the narrator added that he was also a lawyer. Don't recall the extent to which they disclosed a substantial part of his practice involves suing cruise lines. Their refusal to name other lines was also telling. Even when they mentioned the Smith incident, they did not disclose the line or the ship. But they hit carnival hard.

Anyway, these shows are like this. I remember one of the first episodes of NBC Dateline where it turns out they rigged a firecracker and open gas tank to show how dangerous some pick up was [i think it was a Chevy]. Or how about John Stossels' remarkable expose disclosing that professional wrestling was fake? Anyway, you have to take these shows for what they are. If we [and I use that term loosely] didn't watch, they wouldn't be on.

However, i have read many posts on here saying that no one has actually seen the fights and such that have broke out. Many have said that this may be because the dont stay out too late or that they do not fo to the late night bars. :o

This is actually somehting that my boyfriend and I were looking forward to on the cruise. We are 27 and we do like to dance and drink and have a good time. This being said, neither of us have ever been in any kind of fight, we are not heavy obnious drinkers. We usually keep to ourselves and if anything make friends not enemies, so I am not too concerned with us being in the middle of any of that craziness. However, this made me question whether we should even stay out late dancing and drinking or what...

Is there anyone on here tahat does stay up last and hang at some of the late night bars? Should we be worried?

My husband and I cruise almost exclusively at spring break and also stay up late dancing and usually have had 3-4 drinks over the course of the evening. We have never witnessed any type of public drunkenness or fighting.

My husband and I cruise almost exclusively at spring break and also stay up late dancing and usually have had 3-4 drinks over the course of the evening. We have never witnessed any type of public drunkenness or fighting.

I agree. I've been on many cruises and stayed out late on a lot of them and have not experienced any negative behavior. You guys will have fun! I think you could find bad YouTube videos on just about anything!

Those of us who know and love cruising won't give a rat's patoot, we'll continue to cruise no matter what. Maybe the cost will go down and we can all cruise that much more.....

That's what I'm hoping.....Fewer people cruising means more competition to get us on board. ....lower prices....more perks. Let some folks believe the worst. It may be a blessing in disguise.

We've seen it, and not late at night. Some folks will drink to excess no matter where they are. With the huge numbers of people on most cruise ships today, it would be silly not to expect to encounter some drunks. I do think that the cruise bars should stop serving people who are obviously drunk. Even on our Christmas cruise on Celebrity Silhouette, we saw very drunk people in the lounges before midnight. They were still buying drinks. They didn't start brawls, but they were sometimes loud and sometimes caused a disturbance by falling off bar stools and such.

I had turned to the 20/20 show in the middle (maybe) of the Concordia story, but after just minutes of the smear job on cruising, spreading misconceptions, I decided to turn back to the show I had been watching: Fashion Police. At least Joan Rivers, et al., weren't being totally malicious.:rolleyes:

I've been on 30 + cruises and have never seen anything like what was shown on 20/20. Yes bad things can happen on cruise ships, just like they can happen at a land based resort, in your own home town, etc. If you focus on the bad its going to look really bad.

As far as the crew and their parties. When do they find the time, they are working all of the time. My friends son is working on a cruise ship right now and they are subject to drug tests and will get fired for partying it up on the ship.

Archived