ABC to air 20/20 special "Cruise Ship Confidential"

Ugh this FOX News special with Geraldo is h-o-r-r-i-b-l-e!!

So dramatic in true FOX News fashion.

How funny. I thought it was pretty good. It stayed on the subject and interviewed a variety of real passengers who were on board. I didn't find it over the top or slipping off into topics that were irrelevant at all.

You sound as if your mind was made up prior to the start of the show.

Gina

I, for one, think Geraldo done a pretty good job. Much better than that over sensationalized garbage that was on ABC last night. At least for the most part, this one stayed on topic instead of giving us 10 minutes of "news" about the tragedy and then most of the rest of the hour of an all out attack on the cruise industry.

How funny. I thought it was pretty good. It stayed on the subject and interviewed a variety of real passengers who were on board. I didn't find it over the top or slipping off into topics that were irrelevant at all.

You sound as if your mind was made up prior to the start of the show.

Gina

I totally agree

Being someone that has never cruised, I will not lie the 20/20 show last night did worry me a little. However, this will not stop me from cruising next month.

However, i have read many posts on here saying that no one has actually seen the fights and such that have broke out. Many have said that this may be because the dont stay out too late or that they do not fo to the late night bars. :o

This is actually somehting that my boyfriend and I were looking forward to on the cruise. We are 27 and we do like to dance and drink and have a good time. This being said, neither of us have ever been in any kind of fight, we are not heavy obnious drinkers. We usually keep to ourselves and if anything make friends not enemies, so I am not too concerned with us being in the middle of any of that craziness. However, this made me question whether we should even stay out late dancing and drinking or what...

Is there anyone on here tahat does stay up last and hang at some of the late night bars? Should we be worried?

Our cruise is end of Feb so luckily we will not be going mid summer or during spring break. So I would think we shouldnt run into too much craziness!

Being someone that has never cruised, I will not lie the 20/20 show last night did worry me a little. However, this will not stop me from cruising next month.

However, i have read many posts on here saying that no one has actually seen the fights and such that have broke out. Many have said that this may be because the dont stay out too late or that they do not fo to the late night bars. :o

This is actually somehting that my boyfriend and I were looking forward to on the cruise. We are 27 and we do like to dance and drink and have a good time. This being said, neither of us have ever been in any kind of fight, we are not heavy obnious drinkers. We usually keep to ourselves and if anything make friends not enemies, so I am not too concerned with us being in the middle of any of that craziness. However, this made me question whether we should even stay out late dancing and drinking or what...

Is there anyone on here tahat does stay up last and hang at some of the late night bars? Should we be worried?

Our cruise is end of Feb so luckily we will not be going mid summer or during spring break. So I would think we shouldnt run into too much craziness!

I can tell you that I am usually one of the very last ones on board awake EVERY night and I DO frequent the clubs until they shut down. Im my very limited cruising experience so far, I have never witnessed any of that they were showing last night. Everyone always seems to just be having a good time.

Im sure they have a hard time during spring break cruises but its no different than hotels having a hard time during the same spring break of drunks falling off balconies and fighting and stuff.

I honestly dont think you have anything to worry about........i am never in bed before 2 am and I have not witnessed any of that kind of behavior.........Im not saying it doesnt happen. im just saying in no way does it happen near as frequent as 20/20 wants people to believe.

Have a wonderful time on your first cruise :) You two should be just fine!

I totally agree

Just saw it and I too must agree, he did a great job of staying on topic and presenting the facts. He actually interviewed many passengers who were on the ship. I wonder how many of those still missing followed the crews directions and returned to their rooms. What a senseless and avoidable tragedy. The effects of his reckless behavior will be felt for many years to come, wether it be by the families who lost loved ones, the people who survived only to relive the horror, the fear instilled in future cruisers, or the altered environment. He has taken something so wonderful as cruising and changed it forever. What a shame!

20/20 really missed the mark, they should have done a Fox report and stuck to a story about accident instead of bashing cruising. Not as if Disney ships have never had a problem but seems their ships were only shown in a positive light on the show last night.

Glad I know that a lot of what we see happen out there at sea is generally good behavior.

Thought it was a much better show than last night's 20/20.

I, for one, think Geraldo done a pretty good job. Much better than that over sensationalized garbage that was on ABC last night. At least for the most part, this one stayed on topic instead of giving us 10 minutes of "news" about the tragedy and then most of the rest of the hour of an all out attack on the cruise industry.

20/20 was just a joke where Fox News at least stuck to the subject at hand and the overall presentation was good. I agree that Geraldo did a pretty good job.

Just saw it and I too must agree, he did a great job of staying on topic and presenting the facts. He actually interviewed many passengers who were on the ship. I wonder how many of those still missing followed the crews directions and returned to their rooms. What a senseless and avoidable tragedy. The effects of his reckless behavior will be felt for many years to come, wether it be by the families who lost loved ones, the people who survived only to relive the horror, the fear instilled in future cruisers, or the altered environment. He has taken something so wonderful as cruising and changed it forever. What a shame!

I saw a news story earlier that said that some passengers did return to their rooms. One passenger said that a crew member saw her and her family and told them they should not be there and to leave immediately.

Please will someone post a review of this programme online once it's been aired, we can't get it over here in the UK.

Thanks

Well, here goes, the 20/20 piece had a very small blurb about the Concordia disaster and then proceeded to show the 'ugly' side of cruising. They basically showed young coeds falling over each other drunk and getting into fights. They showed crew members unable to control the people fighting and claim that the cruise lines (Carnival) in this case were ill equipped to handle such behavior. They dubbed this as a must see for anyone contemplating going on a cruise. It was actually nothing but a cruise industry bashing. The piece done by Geraldo Rivera on Fox news aired tonight and although I am not a big fan of his, was very on point and accurate. He spoke mainly of the Concordia disaster and interviewed passengers who were actually onboard. He also showed amateur video footage that was live from the sinking ship. It was actually very well done. He showed how sonar on the ship would have actually detected the rock that was hit and alarms would have gone off. He did a timeline on how things unfolded and even interviewed a hotel owner who Schettino begged for a pair of dry socks. The Italian divers said they saw him and his officers safely on the nearby rocks, while people were stranded on the ship. Truly unbelievable.

Despite the anticipatory protestations of some of the "open minded" folks on this board, Geraldo's report on FNC earlier tonight was on-point, loaded with facts instead of conjecture, well-researched, and informative. Yes, Geraldo was a bit dramatic, but that's always been his hook. Overall, a far superior program to the ridiculous tripe peddled by ABC on "20/20" Friday night.

Funny, isn't it, how "far-right" Fox somehow manages to feature a variety of opinions, including those of Democrats and liberals (Geraldo, Bob Beckel, Kirsten Powers, etc.), while MSNBC and CNN (mostly) have few, if any, conservatives on the air? FNC is not perfect by any means, but they are so much closer to objectivity in their news department than are ABC, CBS, NBC, MSNBC, and CNN.

I saw both programs.

The ABC 20/20 program did a short segment on the Concordia then basically did a hatch job on cruising in general and cruising Carnival in particular.

The Geraldo piece stayed with the Concordia story and took a more journalistic approach with many interviews of passengers, crew and people on the scene. There was no sensationalism. He treated the story with respect. No matter what you think of Geraldo, he did a good job here compared to ABC.

I am never in bed before 1-2AM while on a cruise. I've never seen a fight. Stop worrying and enjoy the anticipation of your cruise.

Oh it just keeps getting thicker and thicker every time I turn on the tv. Our local news, WSB Channel 2 (ABC), out of Atlanta just done a "story" on a woman who took a cruise with her mother back in 2001. While on the cruise, they done a shore excursion that she said was "encouraged" by the cruise line.........well while on the excursion, the small boat capsized because of high seas and her mother drowned.

She sued the cruise line for an un disclosed amount but is upset because they only paid funeral expenses for her mother and she wants the laws changed to make the cruise lines more accountable for negligence.

They just keep digging up this stuff out of the woodwork it appears.

They didnt announce what cruise line it was though. They just said "major cruise line"

steve, i know we are not anywhere close to have cruised as many times as you, but we have never seen this type of behavior on an rci ship, carnival is another story. I'm guessing they probably will not name cruise lines and just make it appear that this happens all the time on any line.

what time do you go to sleep??????

I am never in bed before 1-2AM while on a cruise. I've never seen a fight. Stop worrying and enjoy the anticipation of your cruise.

Ever sneak into a crew party? I haven't but have heard of it happening. Don't know they get as wild as the video they pulled off YouTube. In chatting with crew many rest and sleep while off. Last two cruises I met many crew married to each other who were hard workers and seemed to live a calm life off duty.

Ever sneak into a crew party? I haven't but have heard of it happening. Don't know they get as wild as the video they pulled off YouTube. In chatting with crew many rest and sleep while off. Last two cruises I met many crew married to each other who were hard workers and seemed to live a calm life off duty.

No, I have never snuck into a crew party. However, on the Voyager and Freedom class ships, if you go to the aft area on deck 4 you can see and hear what is happening on the aft crew area of deck 3. I have never heard or seen anything wild or outrageous. The same is true for the crew area out on the bow of these same ships.

Thinking back to college days living in a dorm. There were occasional times when it was sort of like "Animal House" in the place. But those times were rather rare and far between. I suspect the same is probably true with the crew.

I've been to a crew party. The crew bar is open everyday but there are not parties everyday. Certain times it is an open bar for celebrations/special occasions but mostly it is pay per drink although it is relatively cheap. Some times the parties can be crazy busy and fun going but that fun involves dancing, laughing, and being goofy at times. They are not sex parties and so wild and crazy where anything goes. Not to say that has never happened as in everything depending on the people and the atmosphere anything is possible. However for the most part it is people relaxing and having a few drinks with friends. No different than at home where people go out for a drink after work.

gee we have 185 days or so with Royal and 7 with Carnival. Never ever have seen anything like portrayed on 20/20 bashing of cruising. Many nights we are up past 1am. Never see this. Have been on one cruise where capt had unruly passengers put off at next port. haven't a clue as to what happened.

Most of these ship employees work EVERY day and many many hours each day. Not sure where they would even have the energy to do all of this partying. Think of the hours your room attendant works. Then during the off hours they have to take care of their room and laundry and so forth. they eat like we do also. they have meetings to attend, training....it never stops and if they are lucky they get to see a port when we do. I have many friends from the Explorer we have gotten to know since 2006. Many are married now. They are thrilled to just be together and have a job in this day of economy.

Thank you Fox for showing the real truth. Shame on 20/20.... go do all inclusive specials or follow the spring breakers...it would be same story different venue. oh but maybe not same ratings

What was the name of the Fox show? Missed it - will try their website and Hulu to find it.

Like anything - some crew are partiers some aren't. We got to be friendly with a bartender that we met on 4 different sailings. He was the party monster at some parties and would be "hanging" a little the next day but it wasn't all the time. Another bartneder we knew was the total opposite - hated all the partying and spent his off hours watching dvd's in his room.

19 cruises the only "fight" we've seen was a drunk couple at the pool bar having an expletive filled verbal complete with crying and "I want a divorce" crud. Bartender was really trying to get them to leave and/or shut up - it was the middle of the day. Seen a few overserved people but never falling down drunk and really the vast majority of people are either sober, drinking responsibly or acceptably loose and safely with friends.

fyi - we often stay up late - the disco and clubs are fine. Last cruise, 2 of our group were girls in their mid 20s who stayed up late and never had issues.

Archived