ABC to air 20/20 special "Cruise Ship Confidential"

I've been reading this thread and watched 20/20 's "story". A couple points urging me to comment:

1. The ABC "story" was lame, lame, lame. Shame on ABC - agreeing they took a recent headline to exploit. They did it using UTUBE videos as their evidence. Talk about making an assumption and then finding evidence to support it. Their cruiseline expose was only a blip to attract attention to JFK Jr with the Concordia sunk in the background did not relate nor make any sense for the mini story. Actually it solidified my view of the hastiness of the entire segment.

2. There was another poster that talked about not sailing Carnival for their lack of passenger caring... I am also one of those folks who will never (and I never say never!) use Carnival again. IMHO they have always been known as "party" ships; passengers do sail for the alcohol and uninhibited party atmosphere. We experienced the lack of staff personnel policing people, poor ship standards, etc. In my experience they want the quick and easy cruiser and do not care for attending to capture repeat customers.

People behaving badly occurs on every ship and in every travel venue - but how it is handled by the venue managers makes all the difference in the minds of the other guests.

I think ABC covered their critics by mentioning their parent company owns a cruise line - that was it. I look forward to my Allure cruise in Feb and another RCI cruise in Sept because on our vacations we tend to have responsible fun, relax, enjoy meeting other cruisers, and learning about cultures, history and seeing the world - a cruise gives us this opportunity without having to schlep bags, find hotels, and worry about comforts along the way.

3. For the first time cruisers on this thread.... Go on vacation - have a delightful and fun time. However, remember travel whether by car, plane, train,ship or even walking - one has to be proactive; anticipate the unexpected; anytime excessive behavior or drinking is involved - caution gets thrown to the wind - and there is a potential for negative results.

Thanks for the post and discussions.

And let's just all hold keyboards, get along, and be happy cruisers (smile).! Kum Bi Ah my friends, Kum Bi Ah (hee hee hee)

JanO

I am little disappointed with this 20/20 for few reasons. This is my opinions even if i don't have all the correct data to back this up.

1- these media is there to just bash away to prevent you from cruising. Why not airline? why not taxi in the city? why not the hotel? they are all related to have problem.

2- since They mention about Carnival fire on the west cost, did someone forget the carnival fire on the east coast? The laundry room mishap that the ship was able to get back to port on their own while coast guard help them to put out the fire.

3- The crew being rape when she told the boss? i don't think so, i think there a little lie. Why? when there was few rape going on in last few months it all got reported.

4- crew partying on their own time with 100 hours work? i don't buy that because most of the crew member wouldn't work if they are that drunk and you can tell if they are drunk like they can tell the passengers drunk.

5- fighting brawl and stuff? that sound like it all during the spring break or when school is out. I cruise during school time and never saw or heard all of this before.(My friend cruises more then 20 times and he tell me everything).It might happen while i am sleeping. There was lot of time i am up in the middle of the night and never saw a peep about this.

In IMHO, you can tell it all about the people behaviors and reaction when it can be avoided. If you are old enough to take care of yourself, you should know your limit. If you don't know your limit, it your own fault for letting it happened.

Just saw Dr. Phil show. He had a couple on who had survived the disaster to tell what happened that night. They were traveling with their two daughters, who were not on the show today. They told of chaos and no leadership and survived by staying together and not panicking. Because they had sailed 60 previous cruises, they were knowledgeable about what they should do to try to save themselves. It was a very good show, and if it airs in your area, it is so worth watching. Bye the way, I think Brian might be Brian Ross.

I found it a bit odd that the woman on Dr. Phil said when the ship hit the rock it was just like the Titanic. Uh, no....not really. Apparently she wasn't on the Titanic and never read any books about it. The only way it was like it was that it hit something and got a hole. I guess when people are freaked out they say odd things.

And....they said the Capt. said when they hit the rock he was catapulted into a lifeboat. :eek: That was the first I heard he said it happened immediately upon hitting the rock. Dr. Phil is a bit deceptive, too.

I also heard another discrepancy on his show about the Captain's location at the time of impact. Was he on the bridge showing off? Or was he in the dining room having dinner with a woman?

All I can say is ratings...I never liked Dr. Phil either, I"ll admit it.

Gina

Unfortunately Carnival will always be seen in a negative light by some, and that will never change. Some people had an experience back in 1998 or 2002 (or pick your year) and will never again try Carnival, which is fine. It's a personal choice. CCL has revamped their image over the last 10 years and has become more similar to RCI and NCL than they are different. I had fairly similar experiences on CCL and RCI, and I give a slight edge to Carnival, but that's just my choice. I will certainly take another RCI cruise if the price is right. It's sad when some on here say they are happy Carnival was bashed. I would not be happy if RCI, NCL, HAL or X were bashed just so that it took the heat off a cruise line I enjoy sailing.

But unfortunately while this episode of 20/20 showed images of several cruiselines, Carnival was the only one actually mentioned by name negatively, making it look like some of the videos shown were on Carnival ships when indeed they weren't. Thankfully I don't believe everything I see on TV. THe only thing close to a fight (and was actually just a loud discussion) I've ever witnessed was on a 3 night RCI cruise...but does that make me say all RCI cruises are like that? Certainly not.:rolleyes:

They did mention a ship "Oceanis" I believe that had all it's passengers saved, but that was it. They did not say HOW they were saved.....which I imagine might have had something to do with a competent Captain and crew and lots of cooperation.

I was surprised they didn't talk more about the Oceanis... actually its a remarkable story and the Captain and crew (officers) were the furthest from competent. They didn't do anything, many left on life boats as soon as they could... the Captain hide underneath some stairs refusing to do anything.

The entertainment saved everyone, a guitarist and an artist (I think). The Captain and the crew left the bridge early. Its an amazing story and a miracle everyone survived, check out youtube.

We have been on 15 cruises and have never seen the events that were shown on ABC tonight! We are usually in our room by 11pm so maybe we have missed some of it.

I am never in the cabin by 11 PM and I, too, have never seen any of this stuff happen. But I am sure some of it does. It wasn't long ago that it was reported on these boards about a fight breaking out on one of the ships over saving chairs in the theater. People are people. Aggressive tendencies, if someone has them, don't go away just because that person is on vacation. Add some alcohol into the mix and inhibitions tend to disappear. With a community of 6000 aboard a ship there is going to be a pretty good representation of just about any behavioral trait that you can think up.

It wasn't long ago that it was reported on these boards about a fight breaking out on one of the ships over saving chairs in the theater.

I was just going to say this.

Right here on CC some report on these type fights. I think some others were fights on the tender line.

As much as many do not want to admit it-stuff like this does go on. Cruising is not perfect because all people are not perfect.

Although these situations may be rare and not frequent-they do happen. 20/20 just went to youtube and did a rapid fire segment that made it look shocking which is what it intended to do hence ratings!!

O.K. Now they got me scared all those bad things we do on cruises. But like doctors will tell you, you should take on what you are afraid of, LETs all go Cruising get over our fears, and have fun. At least it gives me an excuse to go, not that I really need one!

Im sure youve seen alot of the same in your career MasterCheif

Looks like a libery call to me:D

well I have been so excited for our 1st FAMILY cruise since my honeymoon in 19 years! Now with this costa disaster and watching 20/20 and Dr. Phil it really has me quite concerned not only of my safety on how they drive, but my children being abducted, raped, or going overboard! OMG I did not need this! LOL

I was just going to say this.

Right here on CC some report on these type fights. I think some others were fights on the tender line.

As much as many do not want to admit it-stuff like this does go on. Cruising is not perfect because all people are not perfect.

Although these situations may be rare and not frequent-they do happen. 20/20 just went to youtube and did a rapid fire segment that made it look shocking which is what it intended to do hence ratings!!

It happens at any theme park including Disney World also.

agreed

It's a shame but people can behave badly just about anywhere!!:(

Even in church. Don't go there! :p

What about movie theaters?

I saw a fight at the jetway to a southwest airlines flight.

In other words stay home. Of course there are probably more fights in homes than anywhere else. Don't go to anyone else's home. :rolleyes: :D

Gina

agreed

It's a shame but people can behave badly just about anywhere!!:(

Yep, I even had my bag stolen at one of the Disney water parks....hid a small bag under my chair with a towel over it....walked away for a few minutes...came back and the bag was gone....not only that but the bag had my car keys in it....when I went out to the parking lot I found that they found my car and everything had been completely gone thru.

I have left stuff under my cruise ship chair many times and never had a problem.

I have never seen behavior remotely like that shown on 20/20. Of course there will always be some "happy" or loud drunks but we usually find them entertaining. Why don't they report on behavior in those all-inclusive resorts or how sick people get from flying.

The episode is online now: http://abc.go.com/watch/2020/SH559026/VD55165067/2020-120-cruise-ship-confidential

I just watched it. I've never seen behavior like that on any of the cruises we've taken (on RCI or Carnival!). --Katie

Thanks for posting the link.

You appear to be outside the United States or its territories. Due to international rights agreements, we only offer this video to viewers located within the United States and its territories.

Sigh.

What bugs me is when they say "cruse liner" - ocean liners (Cunard) and cruise ships are different and designed for different purposes. And don't get me started when they use the term "boat". :rolleyes:

They also said 'rooms' instead of 'cabins'.

The show was very disappointing. We have a DS who works on a cruise ship now. He says when the crew isn't working they are doing laundry or taking a nap! :-) Not that they don't have fun sometimes but that was blown way out of proportion!

Just a thought. ABC does own Disney Cruises. Never hurts to bash the competition publicly.

I've been on a dozen plus cruises and never seen any type of violent incidents. I have seen "very" drunk people, but never anyone out of control. The 1st fight shown on 20/20 was during a midnight buffet & dance party on board a voyager class ship (I recognized the lay-out etc.). I think it's sad for people to behave like animals and create such awful vacation memories. What were they thinking? Such a waste of a wonderful vacation.

Archived