ABC to air 20/20 special "Cruise Ship Confidential"

In my opinion all the 20/20 report did was reinforce the negative opinions of those (I’m sure we all have encountered a few) that have never Cruised or say they will never Cruise. Most of us that Cruise consider ourselves Cruise Veterans and we don’t need to justify why we are so passionate about Cruising. I believe in one of Harley Davidson creeds, “…if I have to explain you won’t understand”. I watched the 20/20 report and for most it, it was garbage. But that’s what people want to hear and see. So what if the crew parties on their own time. We've never seen any brawls while Crusing either. Oh well, 56 more days and we’ll be doing a B2B Cruise on the Adventure Of The Seas.

. The 1st fight shown on 20/20 was during a midnight buffet & dance party on board a voyager class ship (I recognized the lay-out etc.).

I thought it was the Monarch or Majesty. The VCL was elevated by itself

It was definatly RCCl by the anchor on the flashing cups @ the bar

I can't believe anyone would be surprised by the reports on this show. When did reporting actual news become important to the networks?

By the way, as I type this, I am sitting on my hotel balcony overlooking Port Everglades and seven beautiful ships. Bring on the Allure..........

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Well, after watching the show, I feel a few things. I feel old, naive and grateful and informed.

-Old-While watching the footage of the crew dancing, getting drunk and having sex, all I could think of was the lack of sleep. I said to my DH, "wow, aren't they tired after working all day and then partying?!" Shudder, when did I start thinking like that?!:eek:

-Naive-I had no idea that there was even a designated bar/club etc. area for the crew to get "busy". I knew they slept onboard (that always makes me laugh to hear that joke) but didn't realize there was also the other stuff happening...at least to that extent. It certainly makes sense considering how long some of them are on the water.

-Grateful-I'm so grateful to the crew that make the beds, clean the toilets, serve dinner and do all the other jobs that I wouldn't like to do for up to 10 hours a day (well, not including my own house work of course :) ) I'm so grateful that they do it all with a smile and make my vacation a really special one. I also know that the extra 2 or 3 dollars I might think twice about giving them, does really make a difference. I don't take one second for granted while I vacation.

-Informed-Thank you 20/20 for making me realize that accidents can happen anywhere. Thank you 20/20 for showing me that you are biased and I now know that I cannot take everything you air as golden. I appreciate my past cruises even more now because none of that ridiculous behaviour you aired has ever been witnessed. That means I have been fortunate to sail with really great staff and/or people who DO behave themselves. I would love to do a show on the people that hog the bacon or touch the food at the Windjammer. I would love to do a show on the people (like me) who save for over a year to be able to afford the LUXURY of a cruise and then have to listen to more "privledged" people complain that their mashed potatoes are too clumpy. The list is endless.

Yes, the crew push drinks because they make money. Does that mean I am not responsible for my own intoxication? How about the people that I travel with, isn't it sort of an unwritten "rule" to look out for each other? If you are going to party and let loose, shouldn't you have the common sense to stay within a limit you can manage? Or maybe travel with someone who looks out for your safety too? Jumping or falling overboard? Waking up and not remembering a thing you did? Gimme a break! It's not exactly EASY to simply fall overboard either.

I hope that the slanted view of the industry DOES turn people away. More room for me. The fear I have, however, is that money will be lost and if cabins aren't sold, service goes down and prices could go up. That's my worry. All in all, I will never take my cruise for granted. I will appreciate the staff/crew even more because they work so hard. Are they are "heros" or are they "perfect"? Of course not, but where can I go on vacation and find the perfect person?

Rambling...sorry about that. I feel passionate and I've only been on 2!;) Have our 3rd planned and have been counting the days and socking away the pennies. We will never vacation on land again. So pfftt to 20/20 until they redeem themselves with a show on the GREAT things about cruising. Now go eat a slice of pizza at 2am after sitting on deck in the open sea air. Nextttttttt.....

Wife and I just finished watching, I love DVR's. We have been on 15 cruises - 11 RCCL, 3 Carnival, 1 Princess. We must be going at the wrong times. We have never seen or heard a simple shouting match.

Sister-in-law called and wanted to know if we were still going to cruise after the Costa incident. We told her we were already booked on the Jewel this October.

I wish I could afford to go more tha once a year.

ABC news programs have been going down hill since the death of Peter Jennings. IMHO

Too much sensationalism and ratings. Network news has become the on-air National Enquirer or Star equivalent.

What happen to research and facts :eek:

Thought the purpose was going to be about life threatening issues and your safety and what the cruiselines do or don't do to ensure your safety .. not drunken brawls and trivial issues.

This was a total embarassment to ABC :rolleyes:

As we prepare to pack for our upcoming January 28th cruise on the Oasis, I wonder where all of these fights have taken place. We are fortunate enough to have been on 20 other cruises and have never seen the type behavior that was shown on the show. We will continue to cruise and to appreciate the wonderful service we have received while on board. RCCL is our favorite cruise line, but we have also sailed with Carnival, Princess, and Celebrity. The show did not present an accurate portrait of a cruise.

To the passengers who were on the Costa Concordia...........our prayers are with you.

Although I felt the 20/20 special showed some things that can happen on a cruise ship but not on every sailing, I don't think a cruise ship is Mayberry where Opie is whistling going to the fishing hole either. It's a ship with thousands of people on it and if we think they are all there to be our friends-we are all naive. They are strangers to us.

I think all should be just as careful on a cruise ship as any other place. I've seen some people on this forum and on roll calls give out way too much information to people they have met through a keyboard. We have also read unfortunate threads of women/girls getting raped. People being asked to leave the ship and sometimes the person reporting it has no idea why. Ever wonder.? Yes, the occasional fight, yes the occasional drug smuggler caght. Be careful and protect your children and family as a cruise ship is no way guaranteed safety.

Don't get me wrong-I feel 20/20 went over the top and did not agree with the illusion they gave but I'm just as surprized to read those who think nothing bad ever happens on a cruise ship either. Rarely-yes, but never think never. No need to not cruise-just stay aware of your surroundings like you would any place else.

After watching the 20/20 show my wife and I wondered where those people have been on our cruises. We finally concluded that since our alcohol consumption consists of wine and maybe a pre-dinner cocktail and we do not frequent the nightclubs. Also, we are usually in bed by 11 or midnight. I can honestly say, in 16 cruises, I've never seen anyone sloppy drunk.

CruisingMomma88...."20/20 makes me old".....:eek:

Couldn't have said it any better. Your thoughts were great!! We also have been on numerous cruises and have seen 'some' unrulely young adults; BUT NEVER to the extent that 20/20 presented. We will keep cruisin as long as we can.:D...not gonna scare me off.;):(

While Hubby and I watched the 20/20 show, I asked him if all the drunken brawl scenes and falling down drunks and drunk guys falling over board

would keep people from cruising and he said he thought such scenes would actually encourage some people to cruise, especially Spring breakers and week end cruisers.:)

We've been on RCC, Disney, Norwegian and Princess and can honestly say we have never seen people falling all over themselves drunk. Nor have we seen people beating the tar out of each other. Can't comment on other cruise lines like Carnival, etc as we have never been on them. That being said, I feel cruising is simply one of the best ways to spend your rime vacationing.

Archived