ABC to air 20/20 special "Cruise Ship Confidential"

Most everyone on here enjoys Cruises, and believes this show will give the cruise industry a black eye.

But...these shows air weekly or more often. How many of their other shows and their horror stories do you remember? Probably very few, if any.

For most people that actually watch it (fewer than 5 million out of 300 million), some will be scared to cruise. Many of them have never cruised, and never will. Some will forget in 2 weeks or 6 months what happened. But the overall impact will be extremely minor.

Remember - if you don't care about other incidents in activities you don't care about, most people won't care about this incident either.

The media is going to wind up tearing cruising apart over this whole Costa accident deal :(

Those of us who know and love cruising won't give a rat's patoot, we'll continue to cruise no matter what. Maybe the cost will go down and we can all cruise that much more.....

Brian said he steered away from the Costa Concordia, that it was mainly about his books. It will be interesting to watch!

I'm sure the majority of the special is about Concordia and ship safety. I was called in for stuff about what kind of training crew receive and some of the 'surprising' things that happen below the waterline. I'll be thrilled if I even get a mention. Ever see Monsters, Inc? I'm probably gonna be like Billy Crystal's little character who was blocked out by the text!

Those of us who know and love cruising won't give a rat's patoot, we'll continue to cruise no matter what. Maybe the cost will go down and we can all cruise that much more.....

now thats a great way of looking at it! :D

I guess its just I spend so much time talking about cruising and how great it is to people and have gotten people somewhat interested, only for something like this to come along and try and negate everything I have talked about.

Maybe Im just worried about nothing but I just know how the media is....I was in the hospital at the time Splendor caught on fire so all i had to do was watch tv. It sickened me to hear the media slam the cruise industry as a whole and spread out and out lies about cruising in general.

While some of us may remember the slanted and inaccurate reporting on the George Smith/Brilliance incident, I am going to reserve judgment until we see what they do tonight. For one thing, we will have some first person accounts of what happened and perhaps some good interviews with people on the scene. I'm sure there will be moments when I want to scream at the tv or throw something at it but I am curious to see what they say.

I really enjoyed Brian David Bruns book-I read it right before we cruised last February-I really look at my servers, room attendants and all staff in a different way-everyone should read it-there are a few others out there too-

I also saw the pre view of the show for tonight and the clips on GMA this morning-I got the impression that they were two things-the clips were showing dumb stuff that people have done and tonight is more of a in debth view of the cruise industry-maybe I am wrong --am going to watch-hope the right Brian is on tonight

When you think about the millions of people that cruise every year and the miniscule number of fatalities that occur, cruising is much safer than flying or even driving your own car.

I've taken 49 cruises over 30 years and have never had anything bad happen. I've flown in really bad turbulence and my husband had 2 bad car accidents (no injuries thank God except to our cars), none of which he was responsible for (and yes we have the police reports to prove it!)

Yes, cruising will get a bad rap for a while and then the media will move on to trash something else when the next disaster occurs.

Hey, the plus side for those of us that know better is that maybe bookings will drop off and the prices will come down!!!!

I'm sure the majority of the special is about Concordia and ship safety. I was called in for stuff about what kind of training crew receive and some of the 'surprising' things that happen below the waterline. I'll be thrilled if I even get a mention. Ever see Monsters, Inc? I'm probably gonna be like Billy Crystal's little character who was blocked out by the text!

I loved your books-I find myself being more tolerant of the crew, tipping better and looking at them to see if they are sober--really I know they work hard and play hard but should be treated better

Thank you for the books--

I'll be very honest, I'm not sure this cruise bashing going on is completely unfounded. I've cruised a bunch of times with CCL in just the past two years and I have a very poor view of cruising *from experience*. However, it's also been pointed out to me that my experiences with CCL have not been typical "cruise experiences". They've all been 3-4 day Baja cruises on CCL's smaller, older ships and two of them have been during Spring Break so those tend to attract the SoCal party crowds. I also had the misfortune of being booked on the Splendor sailing that was supposed to go out a week after the fire.

But I have seen one bar fight, lots and lots of drunk people who were literally falling over themselves, irresponsible parents, obnoxious co-eds, teenagers up to all hours of the night, etc. And, at least in CCL's case on these specific ships, no one on board (crew) seem to do anything about it or even care!

On the flip side of that, I've been to numerous AI's in the Caribbean (way more then cruises I've been on) and these are just not problems I've encountered at any of these! So, at least in my experience, these are things unique to cruising for the most part.

Someone on one of my CCL cruises did tell me that to get the REAL cruising experience I need to go on a longer cruise, somewhere other than Baja, and with a different cruise line (RCI came highly recommended!). So, here I am, 40 days away from cruising again. So it's not that I hate cruising, or I've given up on it, but I've learned that there's a certain experience that goes along with cruising that isn't always positive. Perhaps all this attention will cause cruise lines to change some policies and better train their employees to deal with certain situations better in the future. Like training bar tenders to recognize the right time to cut someone off or increase security rounds at night.

ETA: And to kick the kids out of the Solarium and Concierge Lounge and keep people from hogging those darn pool chairs! :P

When you think about the millions of people that cruise every year and the miniscule number of fatalities that occur, cruising is much safer than flying or even driving your own car.

I've taken 49 cruises over 30 years and have never had anything bad happen. I've flown in really bad turbulence and my husband had 2 bad car accidents (no injuries thank God except to our cars), none of which he was responsible for (and yes we have the police reports to prove it!)

Yes, cruising will get a bad rap for a while and then the media will move on to trash something else when the next disaster occurs.

Hey, the plus side for those of us that know better is that maybe bookings will drop off and the prices will come down!!!!

According to published statistics, more people die in a bathtub or by tripping over a piece of furniture each year than the total number of people who have died while on a cruise ship in the last 10 years combined.

[quote name= in the case of the Concordia' date=' it will be much more complicated so it will take longer to resolve. But there will be people claiming to have material goods on board that they can not prove and will want compensation for that. People shouldn't bring expensive or irreplaceable items on board. I'd be glad to have my life, had I been on that ship.

Gina[/quote]

ok, you had me TOTALLY agreeing with you right up until... this point and :rolleyes: then I flashed back to the few times in my life that I have ever taken off my wedding rings. Are they expensive? Probably not as much as others have paid but to me they are IRREPLACEABLE. IF I had been on board this tragic voyage and did not make it off with my rings :eek:, I would expect that they would pay me FULL value and then some. Yes, I would be thankful to be alive but there are some physical things that are very dear us. :o

ok, you had me TOTALLY agreeing with you right up until... this point and :rolleyes: then I flashed back to the few times in my life that I have ever taken off my wedding rings. Are they expensive? Probably not as much as others have paid but to me they are IRREPLACEABLE. IF I had been on board this tragic voyage and did not make it off with my rings :eek:, I would expect that they would pay me FULL value and then some. Yes, I would be thankful to be alive but there are some physical things that are very dear us. :o

I would be nice if the compensation were enough to pay for weddings rings that most married people would be wearing. I don't think I'd be spending a lot of my life fighting over them on principle though. I know people who wear dummy engagement rings on board. I don't wear one at all. Although at the time of this tragedy, I'd think most people had their wedding rings on their fingers. I've occasionally left mine on the ship while on an excursion. If they ship burnt down while I was away - I'd be disappointed - just like DH was when his fell off his finger in the Nantahala River while rafting. I still think life happens whether or not someone is negligent. Let me out with my life...and we even have to give that up on this planet one day. :)

The rings and things I bought in port....if the sea calls them, for whatever reason, they can go without me.

For some reason, I think those who lost family members will be compensated in the end. A lot of good that does. I'd prefer to have my family member rather than the money. I would really just rather not be part of years of legal proceedings all over the loss of a bunch of material goods.

Gina

Gina

Let me know when Nancy Grace begins her assault on the cruise industry. Then we'll know that the vultures have really descended. :rolleyes:

OK....worse than Nancy Grace...Extra just had Donald Trump commenting on the Costa Concordia situation. he said "the captain is a complete disaster and deserves everything he gets".

Archived