ABC to air 20/20 special "Cruise Ship Confidential"

It looks like this special is going to be an all out media bash on the CL's....they just showed previews of tonights show on GMA....videos of fighting and intoxicated passengers and how the CL's are not equipped to handle these situations...there was nothing positive on the previews....they just made it out to look like the wild west....of course they added to make sure to watch tonight:rolleyes:

It looks like this special is going to be an all out media bash on the CL's....they just showed previews of tonights show on GMA....videos of fighting and intoxicated passengers and how the CL's are not equipped to handle these situations...there was nothing positive on the previews....they just made it out to look like the wild west....of course they added to make sure to watch tonight:rolleyes:

Steve, I know we are not anywhere close to have cruised as many times as you, but we have never seen this type of behavior on an RCI ship, Carnival is another story. I'm guessing they probably will not name cruise lines and just make it appear that this happens all the time on any line.

It would be nice if someone would focus on some hero stories. But I won't hold my breath waiting on that.

Gina

I just remember how bad CNN and Fox News ripped cruising in general apart when the Carnival Splendor caught on fire.....I can only imagine this is going to be worse and will give a blackeye to the cruising industry as a whole.:o:(

There already so many pre conceived notions out there about cruising as it is from people that do not know any better and have never even as much stepped foot on a cruise ship. I see it and hear it most any time I bring up cruising

I just remember how bad CNN and Fox News ripped cruising in general apart when the Carnival Splendor caught on fire.....I can only imagine this is going to be worse and will give a blackeye to the cruising industry as a whole.:o:(

There already so many pre conceived notions out there about cruising as it is from people that do not know any better and have never even as much stepped foot on a cruise ship. I see it and hear it most any time I bring up cruising

I agree. I even stopped reading all the paranoid posts concerning the Costa Concordia tragedy posted here on Cruise Critic.

My concern is the inaccuracies that are bound to appear in the ABC story. For example, the other day on CNN, the anchor woman said something like, "coming up after the break, a look at Carnival Cruise Lines role in the Concordia sinking." Guess what ships were shown--a Royal Caribbean ship and a Celebrity ship! I kid you not!

If that is the kind of reporting we will have on ABC, the show will be a big disappointment. I will be watching, however, with an eagle eye for the sort of errors I just described above.

Steve, I know we are not anywhere close to have cruised as many times as you, but we have never seen this type of behavior on an RCI ship, Carnival is another story. I'm guessing they probably will not name cruise lines and just make it appear that this happens all the time on any line.

No...actually they were very clear on naming Carnival during the video showing a big fight breaking out in one of the lounges.

On a different note.....I just heard that Carnival has suspended all it's advertising.

Unfortunately, sensationalism sells and that's all the media is really interested in.

Fortunately, John Q. Public has a very short memory. Look at how many people refused to fly after 9/11, and other than getting irritated with the increased security, most people never give flying a second thought now.

DH has been kidding me about yelling at the newscasters on the story. What bugs me is when they say "cruse liner" - ocean liners (Cunard) and cruise ships are different and designed for different purposes. And don't get me started when they use the term "boat". The show tonight should be interesting - maybe I should look up to see who I should send an e-mail to afterwards. :rolleyes:

My concern is the inaccuracies that are bound to appear in the ABC story. For example, the other day on CNN, the anchor woman said something like, "coming up after the break, a look at Carnival Cruise Lines role in the Concordia sinking." Guess what ships were shown--a Royal Caribbean ship and a Celebrity ship! I kid you not!

If that is the kind of reporting we will have on ABC, the show will be a big disappointment. I will be watching, however, with an eagle eye for the sort of errors I just described above.

Unbelievable...or maybe not.

but this comment did sadly have me LOL.

I did hear some comments on the news about what we are signing away when we accept that cruise contract. I've always known we are giving up all rights. But in the end, I also know that the cruise lines eventually are generous in compensation for even the slightest problems (in most cases). I'm a believer in "life happens" and taking what is dished out to us, except in the case of clear negligence of course. And in that case, I still think sometimes it's just easier to move on - be Amish, if you know what I mean. But when there are delayed departures, missed ports and other petty issues, sometimes the cruise lines kick in with OBC and I'm always impressed. They are under no contractual obligation to do this.

I once selected a promenade room for a B2B, after reading all the wonderful things about them on CC. Well, after the first day I was shocked to find I was woken up to a bass thumping though my window seat at 6am sharp every morning. I immediately went to guest services and kindly asked them to stop playing the music so early. They "can't do that". The next morning I kindly asked them if they could move me to an interior room at the very least for my next cruise. The next thing I knew they sent certificates to my room for $50 off pp for a cruise in the next year. I was surprised but had hoped they would just move me. To my surprise on the next embarkation day, I had a call on my phone asking me if I would like to move to a balcony room across the hall. :eek: Unbelievable. This is just a small example of them going above and beyond in cases when they have no obligation to do anything at all. I DID pick that room after all.

I guess this long story was just to show that what the news claims we are signing away doesn't always work out that way. They don't want to drive us all off. They just need to protect themselves in case of petty imaginary issues. I think when there is a real problem, they do their best to come to a satisfactory resolution. In the case of the Concordia, it will be much more complicated so it will take longer to resolve. But there will be people claiming to have material goods on board that they can not prove and will want compensation for that. People shouldn't bring expensive or irreplaceable items on board. I'd be glad to have my life, had I been on that ship. Give me my money back for the cruise and pay for any extra expenses incurred and let me move on. I'm sure this will happen at the least. I might not cruise again after that though.

Gina

Just saw Dr. Phil show. He had a couple on who had survived the disaster to tell what happened that night. They were traveling with their two daughters, who were not on the show today. They told of chaos and no leadership and survived by staying together and not panicking. Because they had sailed 60 previous cruises, they were knowledgeable about what they should do to try to save themselves. It was a very good show, and if it airs in your area, it is so worth watching. Bye the way, I think Brian might be Brian Ross.

Dr. Phil is also doing a cruise show and will be having guests on the show tomorrow that were on the Costa Concordia during the "accident".

Let me know when Nancy Grace begins her assault on the cruise industry. Then we'll know that the vultures have really descended. :rolleyes:

this happens all the time be it a cruise ship or resort on line. get in the real world. we travel very often and can see we have seen it.

bia

Let me know when Nancy Grace begins her assault on the cruise industry. Then we'll know that the vultures have really descended. :rolleyes:

Not only did I lololol at this, but I just did my Nancy Grace impression to everyone around me.

There will always be people who listen to the media hype and those of us who don't. All I say is more room for those of us who will not listen and continue to cruise. I will watch the special and probably shake my head at all the crap they "report".

There will always be people who listen to the media hype and those of us who don't. All I say is more room for those of us who will not listen and continue to cruise. I will watch the special and probably shake my head at all the crap they "report".

The uninformed will believe it all.

I remember watching a morning news segment on how to get the best cruise prices. It made me laugh. It was obviously an advertisement by the industry (CLIA) intended to suck people in and jack up prices. There was no reality to it at all. They were supposed to be offering tips. There were no low price tips offered as we know them. The uninformed would have no idea that this news segment was completely false.

Gina

Archived