Casual wear on rci

livingskies78

RCI has a dress code but many people both here and on your ship will not adhere to it. However, just wanted you to know that shorts are not permitted in the Dining Room at dinner (breakfast and lunch OK). Having said that, the kids in nice jeans or pants and shirts, you and you r daughter capris or a sundress, and DH in pants and a collared or polo shirt will work well. Basically, casual is casual, but no caps, tank tops, or shorts permitted.

Have a fun family cruise. :)

I wear capris, top and heels....for both casual and "smart casual" nights. Hubby wears slacks and collared shirt. (and shoes, of course!) Daytime is ultra casual...shorts and tees are fine in the dining room for breakfast and lunch!

For me, a sundress or skirt & top or capris & top.

For hubby, khakis & golf or tropical shirt.

When we've traveled with a child (a boy) he wore khakis and a shirt (not t-shirt). They generally don't get worked up about children (small children) in shorts in the dining room on casual evenings.

You have plenty of answers for the adults, we pretty much do the same. I take a casual dress or two, one pair of black slacks and 3 tops. My husband takes (besides "formal"), two pair of slacks and 4 shirts, wearing one twice.

People are many times saying that their kids won't wear the clothes again and don't want to spend much money on them. When our kids were younger and cruised with us we still had to dress them for evening and it was typically clothing they didn't wear at home. I bought my son only two pair of nice slacks and 3 shirts, having them laundered and re-worn was a whole lot cheaper than buying 5 shirts and more pants. We went on about 3-4 cruises while he was in his teens, so he did get some wear out of those clothes. He owns a tux and a sportscoat, school dances were covered and he still wears a sportscoat on occasion at 23 years old. We were lucky he stopped growing at about 14 @ 6'4" :eek:.

My teen daughter (back then) was a bigger challenge. She's never worn pants much, at the time she would wear jeans but they disallowed those (they can wear jeans now). So she wore dresses or tunics over leggings. Now she doesn't even wear jeans even occasionally and prefers dresses or tunics over leggings still, so it ended up being a better purchase for me at that time.

Edit to add, all the clothing was purchased on sale...you can always find a sale.

I have worn a sundress, or capris or skirt with a cute top, and wedge or low-heeled sandals or espadrilles. DH wears Khaki slacks with a polo shirt or (if in the Caribbean) a tropical print shirt. He wears deck shoes. Casual and comfortable but presentable. Most of the people in the MDR on our cruises were at a similar level of casualness.

Just a bit confused how the person can be concerned about the dress code when she's planning on wearing jeans in the MDR. And, she's concerned about how others will dress? Somehow this just doesn't go together.

Just a bit confused how the person can be concerned about the dress code when she's planning on wearing jeans in the MDR. And, she's concerned about how others will dress? Somehow this just doesn't go together.

What are you talking about? :confused: There is nothing in the dress code against jeans on RCI. Some lines do not permit them but Royal is not one of them. Jeans are permitted. I'm not sure why you felt you had to make your comments.

Are you talking about me? This thread is for casual nights. Have you never seen a pair of designer jeans before? I said "nice dark colored jeans" not acid washed cut off shorts. Geez :rolleyes:

You know, I don't care, and I know I speak for others, if they are $300 jeans or $30 jeans - they are still jeans. Take a hint from the other posters to your question. They are wearing khakis, sundresses, linen pants, etc. - their words, not mine. Those are far more appropriate.

You know, I don't care, and I know I speak for others, if they are $300 jeans or $30 jeans - they are still jeans. Take a hint from the other posters to your question. They are wearing khakis, sundresses, linen pants, etc. - their words, not mine. Those are far more appropriate.

I agree with you about there not being any difference (besides price) in formality of dark wash designer jeans in comparison to dark wash brand name jeans. (Or store brand, for that matter.)

However, in all fairness, Royal Caribbean does allow guests to wear blue jeans to dinner.

Personally, I'd never wear jeans to the dining room because I love wearing dresses, and I don't like hauling my jeans to the Caribbean. Also, I think most of the other posters are members of the "long-time" cruising group - I remember (though I was a child) when jeans were not allowed. I honestly wish that they had never lightened their dress code.

You know, I don't care....

Oh, but you do. ;)

...Take a hint from the other posters to your question. They are wearing khakis, sundresses, linen pants, etc. - their words, not mine. Those are far more appropriate.

Aww, that was just mean and rude. :(

EDITED to add: alidor, I just quickly peeked through some of your old posts; I can't say for sure but it seems as though you have never sailed on Royal. That's the line OP has asked about, and jeans are perfectly acceptable on that line.

Actually, I have - 4 times. The last was about 8 years ago, about the time they decided to go mass market. It used to be a really good line. Didn't know they allowed jeans now. That's a shame. The old Royal Caribbean would have never allowed that. Just another concession to mass market cruising - too bad for them.

But, read the other posters - none mentioned jeans. So, it's not just my take on it but others as well. They are still jeans, be it $30 or $300.

Actually, I have - 4 times. The last was about 8 years ago, about the time they decided to go mass market. It used to be a really good line. Didn't know they allowed jeans now. That's a shame. The old Royal Caribbean would have never allowed that. Just another concession to mass market cruising - too bad for them.

But, read the other posters - none mentioned jeans. So, it's not just my take on it but others as well. They are still jeans, be it $30 or $300.

Things have changed a lot in 8 years ... jeans are very common on Royal Caribbean and on Celebrity (those are the 2 lines we sail on). And Royal Caribbean has been mass market for about 20 years. They were never Cunard or Crystal, or even Celebrity or Holland America.

The women here haven't mentioned jeans because those who have posted don't wear them. I have worn them on casual nights when the weather has been cold, but for most of us jeans aren't our choice in warm climates. That doesn't mean that our original poster would be out of place. She'd fit in just fine and would be following the suggested dress.

There are plenty of nice looking jeans. I never, ever wore jeans to work on casual day until they came out with trouser cuts in dark denim and they added spandex into the mix. Now my jeans are some of the most comfortable casual pants I own - and they tend to look better with fewer wrinkles than my khakis or cotton capris.

We're not here to be the fashion police. We pass along our opinions (just as you have).

BTW - my best looking jeans were $24.99 from Costco. Price means nothing. Just walk through a juniors department and look at the poor quality/poorly made garbage they're selling for $129.

Not questioning about whether or not they are comfortable - I'm sure yours are - I know mine are. That has nothing to do with the conversation. Just don't think they are appropriate. As for Celebrity, there are numerous posts there and jeans definitely are not very welcomed there.

And, you are right, RCL was never Crytstal, Princess, etc., but they were way better before they went mass market. And, it's not just my opinion. My daughter was in her teens as were my nieces when we did quite a bit on Royal, and, when they now travel, they say they miss how things use to be on these ships instead of what they are now.

Last year we took an Alaskan cruise and I wore dark wash jeans a few times on casual nights. My husband did also. I would wear them in the Caribbean too, since the dining rooms tend to be cool in the evenings but I would wear lighter tops. I have worn capris and sundresses depending on my mood and I have always felt appropriately dressed.

I could never picture khaki's as more "dressy" than a nice pair of dark well fitting jeans. I wore khaki's as part of my uniform for when I worked for a toy store. It's also what team members at Target and Best Buy wear. As for linen pants, they look like pajama pants, shapeless and kind of see through. Sundresses aren't my style.

BTW I'm not the OP. She hasn't been back since.

And just as you were baffled by why I would ask about wearing jeans, and not wanting it to be too casual, I'm left wondering why are you giving advice on a thread about a line you no longer care for?

The women here haven't mentioned jeans because those who have posted don't wear them...

Exactly, WB. Precisely my point of view. I do not wear jeans in the Dining Room BUT merely wanted to mention that OP's line in question, RCI, does permit them.

Anyway, that's what makes women so beautiful and appreciated... we're all unique and lovely. :)

Archived