what is your favorite organized activity on Celebrity cruises

alenushka

"On our transPacific in November from Ensenada to Hawaii, we had Hawaiian ambassadors onboard. There were hula lessons, ukulele lessons and Hawaiian craftmaking. I would love to know if these activities are typically available on Celebrity when doing a trip to or from Hawaii. They were the highlight of my trip - even more so than the food!"

Blue Lagoon,

We'll be doing the Ensenada to Hawaii later this year, so we hope these activities will be offered then as well. Any other highlights we should be looking for ?

Thanks

Woody

Hello, I just reviewed a typical activities list on board of Celebrity Silhouette. There are so many things I want to participate in: art, gym, photo, etc. classes, tours, games.....Some run at the same time and hard to choose. :rolleyes:

My question: if you went back on your X-cruise, which activity you would do over? what are the favorites????? what, in your opinion, is a MUST to do / must NOT to miss?

Thank you!

wine tasting

That game is a regular staple on every NCL cruise I have been on...they call it "Liar's Club" and hold it in the Spinnaker lounge late night. Usually, they have three or four randy sounding words, and the 'panel', usually of four, consisting of the cruise director, a ship's comedian, another member of the cruise staff, and some other entertainer or officer. Each will give their long and humorous definition of the word, and the audience will vote on who they believe is telling the truthful definition. Very humourous...:)

Bob Brown, thanks for letting me know they have it on NCL. We have taken two NCL cruises, but probably missed it because NCL has so many good activities at the same time that we have trouble deciding which one we want to do the most. However, now that NCL is building a beautiful new ship that will have year round cruises from NYC, we will probably be taking another NCL cruise very soon :)

That game is a regular staple on every NCL cruise I have been on...they call it "Liar's Club" and hold it in the Spinnaker lounge late night. Usually, they have three or four randy sounding words, and the 'panel', usually of four, consisting of the cruise director, a ship's comedian, another member of the cruise staff, and some other entertainer or officer. Each will give their long and humorous definition of the word, and the audience will vote on who they believe is telling the truthful definition. Very humourous...:)

I agree, it is a VERY funny game; we attended it a few times when we sailed on NCL. One word we laughed at was a "TITup"....oh, the choices they were giving to explain this word.......:D :D I hope they do something similar on Celebrity.

I agree, it is a VERY funny game; we attended it a few times when we sailed on NCL. One word we laughed at was a "TITup"....oh, the choices they were giving to explain this word.......:D :D I hope they do something similar on Celebrity.

Yes, they use that word and the likes of it often.....a good example..... :)

Whoa! That wine tasting sounds great, I will look for it.

Ah. Trivia. We love trivia. As long as people don't take it too seriously.;)

It's only fun if they DO take it seriously--last cruise (on Century)

moderator let people score themselves, everything from people

giving themselves the inappropriate benefit of the doubt to outright

cheating.

I don't go on vacation to get an ulcer, it's to take your mind off the SOB's

you deal with in real life...:(

They do, most cruises. Best liar ever was an art auctioneer (Why was I surprised?). Great fun...

cheating.

Agreed! I would not have been a happy camper if I saw this happening.

Speaking of trivia - granted it is only a game, but it annoys me when the answer guide used by the crew member hosting the game has mistakes, which is a very common occurrence.

Consequently people who know the actual correct answer are told it is wrong, while those who have memorized answer sheets by playing so often get credit for an answer than is actually wrong.

I personally think it would be more interesting to have a discussion about why someone thinks the answer guide has a mistake, but the crew members hosting trivia go by the answer guide and don't care if an answer is actually right or wrong.

Speaking of trivia - granted it is only a game, but it annoys me when the answer guide used by the crew member hosting the game has mistakes, which is a very common occurrence.

Consequently people who know the actual correct answer are told it is wrong, while those who have memorized answer sheets by playing so often get credit for an answer than is actually wrong.

I personally think it would be more interesting to have a discussion about why someone thinks the answer guide has a mistake, but the crew members hosting trivia go by the answer guide and don't care if an answer is actually right or wrong.

Bridge Maven, I absolutely agree with you on this. It has happened to us several times where the crew member goes by what is written on his or her little paper.

cheating.

I don't go on vacation to get an ulcer, it's to take your mind off the SOB's

you deal with in real life...:(

We just got off a cruise on Infinity where the gal running the progressive trivia bowed to the losing teams and allowed something called "betting" on the answers. The reason for that was that the winning team had an "unfair advantage" because they were 11 points ahead going into the last round.

Since when is knowing the most right answers an "unfair advantage"?

We've done a lot of cruising and lots of trivia,including progressive trivia on transatlantics, but have never seen betting on the answers to score extra points. Evidently the cruise director didn't either as he gave prizes to the team that was ahead before the final round because, in total, they had the most correct answers. That gal was in a heap of trouble!

Some people take their desire to win at trivia beyond the limits of fairness. It's just a game!

The prizes are rarely important, but the feeling that your team knew lots of useless stuff can be elating :D

They do, most cruises. Best liar ever was an art auctioneer (Why was I surprised?). Great fun...

This reminds me of something I overheard on a Bahamas cruise on RCCL in 2008. There were two men standing around as some crewmembers packed away unsold pieces from an art auction. Pointing to one of the pieces, one said, "I bought that painting on my last cruise. They told me that it was one of a kind!"

HI Yelena! I love my Riedel wine glasses that I got on Celebrity Infinity a few years ago! I did the Riedel wine tasting and purchased the glasses. It was a good deal. The difference in the Riedel glass is the cut edge. A lot of wine glasses have rolled edges, but the smooth edge somehow causes the wine to flow over the tongue in all the right areas to enhance the "flavor" of the wine. It works!:D If they offer the wine tasting with Riedel stemware on our cruise, I will probably go and buy more glasses. Wouldn't that choir be fun?!

Hey Bighair! How's it goin? Isn't this rain great?!

Bridge Maven, I absolutely agree with you on this. It has happened to us several times where the crew member goes by what is written on his or her little paper.

Sometimes the answer sheet may be wrong, or it may be right, and a player thinks it is wrong. Either way, the activities staffer probably doesn't really care (there may be exceptions to this), but rather is only concerned with 'getting it done', and on schedule, and moving on to their next activity, rather than spending time debating the point, or looking for verification.

That said, on the Silhouette, each morning the Cruise Director on his AM TV show would announce the results of the 'disputed trivia answer of the day', from the day before. Now that is refreshing....:)

Sometimes the answer sheet may be wrong, or it may be right, and a player thinks it is wrong. Either way, the activities staffer probably doesn't really care (there may be exceptions to this), but rather is only concerned with 'getting it done', and on schedule, and moving on to their next activity, rather than spending time debating the point, or looking for verification.

That said, on the Silhouette, each morning the Cruise Director on his AM TV show would announce the results of the 'disputed trivia answer of the day', from the day before. Now that is refreshing....:)

bob brown - glad to hear that cruise director did that. I think it is a great idea which should be done more often.

This discussion about getting credit for a trivia answer that is actually incorrect, because of a mistake in the answer sheet, reminds me of something that happened years ago.

When my daughter was only seven we played a game of scrabble. Since she was so young at the time, I didn't play as well as I could have to compensate for this factor. Then during the middle of the game she wanted to look at my tiles because I made a very short word. To my surprise, my seven year old daughter said "Mom, you could have made a bigger word and I don't want to play scrabble with you if you are going to let me win. It is only fun to win if I really win, not if you let me win."

HI Yelena! I love my Riedel wine glasses that I got on Celebrity Infinity a few years ago! I did the Riedel wine tasting and purchased the glasses. It was a good deal. The difference in the Riedel glass is the cut edge. A lot of wine glasses have rolled edges, but the smooth edge somehow causes the wine to flow over the tongue in all the right areas to enhance the "flavor" of the wine. It works!:D If they offer the wine tasting with Riedel stemware on our cruise, I will probably go and buy more glasses. Wouldn't that choir be fun?!

Hey Bighair! How's it goin? Isn't this rain great?!

Hi Pam! :) Maybe we will go together for this event; I am sure my DH will love it.

Does anyone know:

What is the price of glasses sold by Celebrity?

Some people posted they bought them at Target/WS. What is the price in those stores?

HEY PAM/Cruisini!! Fantastic that we got the most rain EVER for 1 day in January. Our poor parched state NEEDED it! Still needs it so fingers crossed.

Oh another of my favorite "activities" on cruises.... sleeping to the gentle rocking of the waves. I mean I hate to sleep my cruise away, but I surely sleep like a rock.

Oh yes, Yelena, we should go together! My dh doesn't drink very much at all. He may come, but he may not. The glasses that you will receive on the ship are different than the ones at Target. Riedel makes different "levels" of quality, and the glasses on the ship are Riedel Vinum which is a higher level. When I did the wine tasting with glasses it was around $80 and you got 4 glasses. One burgundy, one Sauvingon Blanc, one Chardonnay and one Pinot Noir. A set of two Burgundy Vinum sell for $50 So, it is really doing the wine tasting for free when you buy the glasses, a pretty good deal. I am actually going to Target today and will check on what they have.

Sharon (Big Hair)! Have fun on your Equinox cruise. Wish you were going with us on the Silhouette! Hope to SEA you soon. Let's get together and go to Seasons 52! Let me know when!

On the Millie last October both DW and I took the "kitchen behind the scenes" tour. This was a very informative tour which lasted about 45 minutes and commenced with an informative talk and introduction to all the chefs,then you are organized into groups (given a number when you arrive) and head on down to the kitchen.

Well worth doing doing if you are interested in how this vast number of meals are prepared on a daily basis. The tour ends in the Olympic restaurant which itself has a display kitchen and I have attached a short video during one of the nights we dined there -impeccable service and wonderful food.

IMG_2623.jpg

IMG_2613.jpg

IMG_2586-1.jpg

IMG_2597.jpg

IMG_2587.jpg

Tony

The bridge tour was awesome - if you are interested in how the Captain and crew gets you from your departure port to all those port stops, this is the tour for you, very informative and lasts 30 mins.

Register at the reception desk, you received a letter and the tour normally takes place on the last sea day.

IMG_2858.jpg

IMG_2880.jpg

No video camera's but still photography is welcomed.

Tony

Archived