what is your favorite organized activity on Celebrity cruises

alenushka

The activities that stood out for us were the Hot Glass Show and Savour Your Destination cooking class with Daisy Martinez.

On one hand, while some people may find watching the Hot Glass Show over and over repetitive, I enjoyed it. The staff were were really entertaining in what they made and their narration.

The cooking class was a great value IMO. Daisy Martinez was very engaging & entertaining and it was a great opportunity to "truly" go behind the scenes. Highly recommend doing this activity if it's on your cruise and you're into cooking.

We normally love trivia too, interacting with the activities coordinators and other cruisers but I can't believe we missed every trivia session on our recent 11 day cruise.

The activities that stood out for us were the Hot Glass Show and Savour Your Destination cooking class with Daisy Martinez.

On one hand, while some people may find watching the Hot Glass Show over and over repetitive, I enjoyed it. The staff were were really entertaining in what they made and their narration.

The cooking class was a great value IMO. Daisy Martinez was very engaging & entertaining and it was a great opportunity to "truly" go behind the scenes. Highly recommend doing this activity if it's on your cruise and you're into cooking.

We normally love trivia too, interacting with the activities coordinators and other cruisers but I can't believe we missed every trivia session on our recent 11 day cruise.

Daisy was only on that cruise, she's not a regular "event". Most surprising was that Celebrity really didn't highlight her activities or presence either before or during the cruise. You almost had to know she was aboard.....very strange!

The Celebrity Chef Challenge - this takes place in the main theatre' date=' and pairs two Celebrity chefs with two passengers to have a "throwdown". Lots of fun![/quote']

I just did this on Infinity. The assistant sous chef and I won. We had the best presentation. It was great fun! I got to keep the paper toque and they gave me a lovely bottle of real champagne. We took the champagne to the dining room and had it chilled and shared it at dinner with our table mates.

Another vote for trivia! All shapes and forms. Love it.

We are truly trivia junkies. Anyone need a Celebrity logo pen, deck of cards (regular and waterproof), luggage tag, tee shirt, tote bag?

We also have a large selection of Royal Caribbean key chains, pens, luggage tags, pleather items (from the "old days"), tee shirts, etc.

Somewhere there is an NCL chatchka, but we won't be adding to that collection;)

Thank you all for posting! lots of great info!:)

I have never done trivia before....but it seems like it is on the top of the list for many people....will put it on mine too :D

DH will love cooking demos and wine tasting.

Unfortunately, no Hot Glass Show on Silhouette....:(

Hello, I just reviewed a typical activities list on board of Celebrity Silhouette. There are so many things I want to participate in: art, gym, photo, etc. classes, tours, games.....Some run at the same time and hard to choose. :rolleyes:

My question: if you went back on your X-cruise, which activity you would do over? what are the favorites????? what, in your opinion, is a MUST to do / must NOT to miss?

Thank you!

Please be honest! 1st Cruise w/Celebrity.

What is a Hot Glass show?

2703967010104945102S500x500Q85.jpg

The show is put on by glass artists from the Corning Museum of Glass. It is located adjacent to the Lawn Club on all S class ships, except Silhouette. It features very talented glass artisans who create an amazing piece of art (glass bowl, vase, glass, etc.) right before your eyes. It is both entertaining and educational. It's a don't miss experience IMO!

2623225830104945102S500x500Q85.jpg

2455609120104945102S500x500Q85.jpg

We love trivia to the point where we sometimes plan our day on board around the various trivia contests. We have won our share of 'fabulous ship's prizes' through the years, and more important, have met some wonderful people aboard in doing so.

Another thing I like are some of the lectures on board, including the ones hosted by the ship's navigation officers.

On my last cruise we did the Riedel Wine tasting. I only did it because my group was doing it. You tasted various wines in the standard wine glass and then in the appropriate Riedel glass. I thought the height, bowl and opening of the glass was close to irrelevant. They said Riedel glasses would make your wine taste better... and I thought "whatta buncha hooey."

WOW, you'd be amazed. I stand corrected!!

LOL....I was one of the group :D and as hubby and I collect wines, we were totally skeptical going into it! Guess what? We were so impressed with the tasting that I just went to Williams and Sonoma and bought two sets of Riedel crystal. I purchased a Malbec/Syrah blend the other day that I would have normally left on the liquor store shelf that was totally wonderful!

Now I have to buy a few more glasses for when we have guests. We had a lot of fun at that!

What is a Hot Glass show?

Great info and pictures from librarylady19. Here is one of my visuals for this interesting activity. On our cruise, it did not attract big, big crowds, but it was a decent number each time we passed and/or stopped. As one of my earlier photos showed on this thread, it sits near the grass area of the ship.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Did a June 7-19, 2011, Solstice cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Enjoyed great weather and a wonderful trip. Dozens of wonderful visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc., on these postings. We are now at 58,379 views for this live/blog re-cap on our first sailing with Celebrity and much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1426474

Here's the Solstice "Hot Glass" show that is tied in with the Corning folks in New York. Interesting!:

SolsticeHotAirShowDemo.jpg

On my last cruise we did the Riedel Wine tasting. I only did it because my group was doing it. You tasted various wines in the standard wine glass and then in the appropriate Riedel glass. I thought the height, bowl and opening of the glass was close to irrelevant. They said Riedel glasses would make your wine taste better... and I thought "whatta buncha hooey."

WOW, you'd be amazed. I stand corrected!!

Would you believe they sell Riedel in Target?

It was my favourite activity as my daughter was the crew member who hosted it.

You can now catch her aboard Silhouette now

The young lady conducting some of the trivia aboard the Silhouette prior to your daughter boarding was British also...seems to be 'de riguer' on 'X':)

I just did this on Infinity. The assistant sous chef and I won. We had the best presentation. It was great fun! I got to keep the paper toque and they gave me a lovely bottle of real champagne. We took the champagne to the dining room and had it chilled and shared it at dinner with our table mates.

My chef partner and I won on my Baltics Eclipse cruise. I did the same thing with the champagne; very popular with the table mates that evening!!

No secrets, dear friend: sailed with Disney (4), NCL (4), HAL (1) but NEVER with Celebrity before....;)

alenuska, is Disney worth the extra money? My husband and I will be taking our first Disney Cruise, which is about three times as expensive as what we usually pay for a Celebrity cruise. However, we are doing it to cruise with our daughter's family, who think Disney Cruises are the best.

alenuska, is Disney worth the extra money? My husband and I will be taking our first Disney Cruise, which is about three times as expensive as what we usually pay for a Celebrity cruise. However, we are doing it to cruise with our daughter's family, who think Disney Cruises are the best.

My granddaughters sailed on Disney, Carnival, NCl and Royal and they loved the Royal kids program the most. Go figure.

My favorite are the watercolor classes on sea days. It is great fun to paint and visit with others, and pick up new skills. The teachers are very diverse but all have been entertaining.

These are definitely my favourite on-board activities as well.

Cheaper category of glasses sold at Wal Mart/Target (Vivant). The Wine Tastings use Vinum glasses - way more $$$$ - Can't buy them at home for what you pay on the ship. http://www.riedelcanada.ca/index.php/riedel/vinum.html

I just bought the *O* series of Riedel glasses at Williams and Sonoma and I'm very pleased with them....got them on sale....$49.99 for five different glasses. When I have been in Target and Bed Bath and Beyond, they don't have the glasses in the varieties I would use (Riesling or Pinot Noir). Various wine places on the net are also selling different grades of them. There is a set called Ouverture by Riedel at W&S, but they seem a little too general for me...more for someone who just wants a set of stemware.

I lived in Germany roughly 30 years ago on the border near Austria and I had several chances to visit the Riedel factory in Kufstein, Austria. Hubby and I were fairly young when we lived there and really didn't understand wine as much as we do now....if I would have known these glasses were this awesome, I wouldn't have wasted my marks on the cutie, etched Bavarian wine glasses I presently have in my bar.:eek:

The workshop is awesome and if they are selling it with the glasses, it's a steal! The glasses are really worth their money....especially if you are a wine lover.

Archived