saw the rumor about Monarch

Read that the Monarch might be retiring (moving on) as early as next year. That was one ship I was considering doing in the spring with some newbies to cruising. *IF* she is moving on do you think the last cruises aboard her would be...ummm whats the word, slighted? Just wondering if anyone has experienced being on one of the last sailings of a ship and if the crew/entertainment everything seemed "off" because of the subsequent retiring?

Read that the Monarch might be retiring (moving on) as early as next year. That was one ship I was considering doing in the spring with some newbies to cruising. *IF* she is moving on do you think the last cruises aboard her would be...ummm whats the word, slighted? Just wondering if anyone has experienced being on one of the last sailings of a ship and if the crew/entertainment everything seemed "off" because of the subsequent retiring?

I was on the last sailing on the Sovereign. It was probably the best cruise that ship ever had and it showed in the staff and crew as they had to say goodbye to her.

I'd find it too depressing being on the Monarch's last RCCL cruise. I love that ship.

The thought that after I got off, she was going off to some place like Korea to some fly-by-night operation (like that rumor that was floating around last year) would make me sad.

I know it's gotta happen soon enough, though. I just hope whoever gets her will take good care of her.

I have not seen any recent press about Monarch leaving the fleet, when she does I assume they will transfer her to one of the RCCL's European lines: Pullmantur Cruises, CDF Croisières de France, or TUI Cruises. Sovereign and Empress went to Pullmanur. She would still be in the family.

Is there a rumor as to what ship will be replacing her?

I sure hope they would replace her with something! I'd hate to see Port Canaveral be left with only Carnival and Disney.

(and yes I realize I have a DCL in my countdown, but I can't get my DH on either of those lines and it would mean the end of convenient weekend cruising for us)

I have not seen any recent press about Monarch leaving the fleet, when she does I assume they will transfer her to one of the RCCL's European lines: Pullmantur Cruises, CDF Croisières de France, or TUI Cruises. Sovereign and Empress went to Pullmanur. She would still be in the family.

The way the wording on the Korean cruise line's website now reads, it sounds like if this happens it will be more of a joint venture like RCI did with TUI. The Korean site talks about operating the cruises, and no longer talks about purchasing the ship.

I have never heard of this Korean rumor before but I think we just figured out the fate of the Legend of the Seas.

She is currently in Asia and her final cruise is slated for September 2012. Then no more, while the rest of the fleet goes all the way to March/April next year.

Being in Asia the Legend is much more suited to that type of thing. What a shame- she is such a beautiful ship. The Legend was built as a ship capable of long-distance cruising and somewhat longer voyages. This would make her unsuitable to the 3 Night Bahamian run that Monarch currently undertakes.

Nonetheless, age is catching up with the Monarch- her time will come soon. She does have many more years left in her though. My guess, and it is only that- a guess, is she will carry on until the new class of ships are dilvered, unless RCI can spare one of the Vision class ships (not Legend OTS or Splendor).

At the Captain's Corner on Monarch, Thursday this week, the Captain was asked about a statement the Captain of the Oasis had made. He said there are a lot of rumors out there but he could state that there is speculation that Monarch will leave the fleet at the end of 2013. Also its likely destination would be a subsidiary of RCCL like Pullmantur (where Sovereign is currently the largest ship in that fleet). He did not speculate on Monarch's replacement.

I sure hope they would replace her with something! I'd hate to see Port Canaveral be left with only Carnival and Disney.

(and yes I realize I have a DCL in my countdown, but I can't get my DH on either of those lines and it would mean the end of convenient weekend cruising for us)

The Freedom cruises out of Port Canaveral.

This same rumor came up about this time last year and when there were no sailings listed beyond April 2012 back at that time people were all ready to believe it. But that doesn't appear to be happening. So I'd say its just a rumor.... at least for now.

Archived