What's Wrong With This Picture?

SabreSailor

I just received the January issue of Oceania Cruises Your World Your Way, which features 2012-2013 departures.

If you have a copy, turn to page 10 and look at the large photo. It shows a typical Oceania grouping of four folks, nicely dressed socializing in the Nautica library, but if you look carefully at the upper right, you'll see someone dozing in the background in a baseball cap!

With all the effort that Oceania makes it trying to portray an aura of casual elegance, what happened here?? Has anyone seen this on an Oceania cruise?

Perhaps you've never sailed with Oceania and don't realize how wonderful the ships' libraries are. There have been many times when we've returned from a port visit and have gone to the library to get or return a book. Sometimes we've even sat and looked at magazines or to begin our book. The libraries are plush, quiet, and cool and upon sitting it is very easy to doze. If your question implies something is wrong with dozing in the library then my husband is guilty.

If your question implies there is something wrong with a guy wearing a baseball cap then all of the men who attempt to shield their scalp and face from the sun while on a cruise are also guilty. Rather, I think, you should realize that people who doze in the library are fulfilling the desire of all of us when we cruise and that is to relax and enjoy our lives. In my opinion, everything is right with that picture.

I just received the January issue of Oceania Cruises Your World Your Way, which features 2012-2013 departures.

If you have a copy, turn to page 10 and look at the large photo. It shows a typical Oceania grouping of four folks, nicely dressed socializing in the Nautica library, but if you look carefully at the upper right, you'll see someone dozing in the background in a baseball cap!

With all the effort that Oceania makes it trying to portray an aura of casual elegance, what happened here?? Has anyone seen this on an Oceania cruise?

I doubt there's a single shot in any cruise line's marketing brochure that isn't staged. If there's a person sleeping in the picture while wearing a baseball hat, I suspect that's because Oceania wanted to send the message that attire/behavior is perfectly acceptable on an Oceania cruise.

If your question implies there is something wrong with a guy wearing a baseball cap then all of the men who attempt to shield their scalp and face from the sun while on a cruise are also guilty.

When did it stop being bad manners for a gentlemen to wear a hat indoors? :confused::confused::confused:

Personally, I think the guy is contemplating, not dozing. At least, that's what I would be doing if you see me in the library with my eyes closed.

I also never noticed people socializing in the library. People are generally quiet and respectful of the library atmosphere.

JimandStan,

Heck, I've seen women nudge men to remove their caps when entering cathedrals. I think guys just forget they have them on after they've been wearing them for hours. But you're right...it's poor form for indoor wear. c

I have never minded someone dozing off in the library.

But on one cruise there was one lady who apparently came to the library to take her naps. Unfortunately she also snored at a very high decibel level.

Mura

Obviously, the way photos in Oceania brochures...and ALL cruise line brochures... are typically "staged", anything in the background is typically unusual...

But, as to the notion of a man wearing a hat in the library and dozing off...well...I chuckled...Why? Because when we boarded the Marina in August in Dover, after first having some lunch in the buffet, we wandered around checking out the ship...I almost laughed as we passed through the library...because the place was jammed with people...most fast asleep! Probably a lot of folks straight off of long flights across the Atlantic and several time zones off from home...and, surely, many of these people were wearing hats, carrying their carry-ons, etc. You probably couldn't have taken a photo in the Library that afternoon without someone in a hat sleeping in the background!!!

JimandStan,

Heck, I've seen women nudge men to remove their caps when entering cathedrals. I think guys just forget they have them on after they've been wearing them for hours. But you're right...it's poor form for indoor wear. c

"poor form" are you unaware that some men wear hats for religious reasons!

Nobody wears a baseball cap for religious reasons. :p

Actually, they DO....

It is not specified what sort of hat one wears, just that one's head be covered...

Baseball caps are perfectly fine...An orthodox Jew might not wear one to synagogue--just not the most proper look...but, for hanging around on a cruise ship, perfectly fine...

"poor form" are you unaware that some men wear hats for religious reasons!

I think most religious hats are are distinctive, most people could tell the difference between them and casual hats :rolleyes:

Do they have baseball caps for religious people?

Perhaps you've never sailed with Oceania and don't realize how wonderful the ships' libraries are. There have been many times when we've returned from a port visit and have gone to the library to get or return a book. Sometimes we've even sat and looked at magazines or to begin our book. The libraries are plush, quiet, and cool and upon sitting it is very easy to doze. If your question implies something is wrong with dozing in the library then my husband is guilty.

If your question implies there is something wrong with a guy wearing a baseball cap then all of the men who attempt to shield their scalp and face from the sun while on a cruise are also guilty. Rather, I think, you should realize that people who doze in the library are fulfilling the desire of all of us when we cruise and that is to relax and enjoy our lives. In my opinion, everything is right with that picture.

No, we've not sailed on Oceania, but have been considering it. I'm sure the libraries are beautiful as they have been on HAL ships.

IMHO, there are places to wear baseball caps and places to snooze; I do both on a regular basis. Inside a formal room on a ship such as a beautiful library is not the place to do either. If Oceania is sending a message to its prospective customers by staging an individual dozing in his baseball cap in one of their libraries, then maybe Oceania is not the line for us. We've seen the occasional baseball cap in the MDR on HAL ships at dinner, and have been appalled.

BTW, for a subsequent poster, do you really think that Oceania staged the man wearing his cap for religious reasons?

This crotchety old lady won't allow anyone in her house with any sort of cap on his head. I was taught that during the Ice Age when I was a kid and by God, my son was taught the same. Caps belong outside. Period.

Hmmm, I'm considering a basket near the door to house all caps and cell phones when someone comes to visit.:rolleyes:

I think most religious hats are are distinctive, most people could tell the difference between them and casual hats :rolleyes:

I guess most people do not understand the concept behind Judaism and hats...

I suppose you see a yarmulke/kippah (skullcap) and think that this is somehow the only "official" headgear for religious Jews...

It is not...it is merely one form of hat that works...it is not overly large and serves no other real purpose other than fulfilling the commandment--so, you will only see one worn by someone whio is religious or attending synagogue...

But, ANY other hat will do to be compliant...

Many Orthodox Jews commonly wear an ordinary fedora, especially when walking around in the course of daily life...but, you might also recognize them as religious Jews based on the entirety of their style of dress...

However, there are many "Modern Orthodox" Jews who dress in a manner that would appear entirely like anyone else walking around on the street...But, of course, they will always wear a hat of some sort...but, typically, it may be one that would blend in more--often it may be a baseball cap...

I have a friend who is a Rabbi...and likes to cruise...and, being from Philadelphia, his most common choice of headgear while cruising is a Phillies Baseball Cap...

Now, it seems some of you might, apparently, think he is being "rude"...

However, I can assure you, he is fulfilling the mitzvah of keeping his head covered...while also maintaining his desire to relax in casual attire...and also trying not to stand out as obviously religious...

I guarantee to you that he is not the only one...

There are plenty of observant Jews wearing a kippah under their baseball cap. From a strict religious point of view, the baseball cap alone would fulfilll the requirement just as well as the traditional and recognizable kippah. The exact requirement is to keep one's head covered at all times. That's it. No description of a specific hat. Those recognizable hats reflect tradition but not Jewish law.

There are plenty of observant Jews wearing a kippah under their baseball cap. From a strict religious point of view, the baseball cap alone would fulfilll the requirement just as well as the traditional and recognizable kippah. The exact requirement is to keep one's head covered at all times. That's it. No description of a specific hat. Those recognizable hats reflect tradition but not Jewish law.

I would hope they would wear thei Yamulke/kippah to meals & not the baseball cap

I do not have a problem with men wearing baseball caps on the ship just not to meals whether they fulfill the religious requirement or not

JMO

No, we've not sailed on Oceania, but have been considering it. I'm sure the libraries are beautiful as they have been on HAL ships.

IMHO, there are places to wear baseball caps and places to snooze; I do both on a regular basis. Inside a formal room on a ship such as a beautiful library is not the place to do either. If Oceania is sending a message to its prospective customers by staging an individual dozing in his baseball cap in one of their libraries, then maybe Oceania is not the line for us. We've seen the occasional baseball cap in the MDR on HAL ships at dinner, and have been appalled.

I would not worry too much about the pictures in the brochures

Some evening people may gather in the library on the R-ship while waiting for the Polo or Toscana to open

But if seeing baseball caps onboard is a deal breaker then maybe Crystal would work better for you

I have not see base ball caps at dinner on Oceania

There is NO designated areas for snoozing or wearing caps

You will see many people snoozing in a lot of public areas on the ship

I have been known to snooze on the pool deck myself

I believe that Miss Manners, Emily Post or someone of a similar stature once stated that if you are over 21 you should only wear a baseball cap while playing baseball.

That being said, my partner and I who are (Clears throat) slightly over 21 wear a baseball cap while in port, especially in the very sunny ones.

I wonder how people would react if instead of a man sleeping, while wearing a cap, in the picture it had been a woman wearing a burqa reading a magazine.

As more of the world's population travels it will be interesting how definitions change.

If you have need to read the boards of other cruise lines that have formal nights, much of the discussion is about proper formal wear. Some object to dress military uniforms as not being formal or a priests collar.

On a recent HAL cruise we were on a woman was very vocal in the dining room on formal night complaining that a Scotsman wearing a dress kilt should be banned from the dining room as his dress was not formal. It ruined the symmetry of the room in her eyes.

I wonder how she would have reacted to a Japanese couple in dress kimonos or an Arab business man in formal robes with his wife in a burqa.

Part of her argument was this was an American ship and our rules should be followed (Wrong, it was Dutch). Lets see if the ships is registered in the Bahamas what is formal there? Oceania registers their ships in the Marshall Islands, what is formal there, a grass skirt?? (No offense intended).

Luckily most of Oceania's passengers under the spirit of the rules and we have always been impressed by the voluntary compliance.

BTW, for a subsequent poster, do you really think that Oceania staged the man wearing his cap for religious reasons?

No. I'm confident Oceania staged the photo to include a man wearing his cap to reassure guests whose hair had not yet grown back after chemo. Oceania was clearly being gracious to such individuals, showing them that they would be welcome to wear a cap anywhere in the ship to ward off the chill from the powerful air conditioning

First of all, anyone that easily appalled actually belongs on Cunard; they all seem to be appalled by some sort of dress most of the time.

I notice that both of the men in the foregound of that photo are wearing polo or golf shirts. It was not too long ago, before Prestige Cruise Holdings took over Regent, that Regent did not permit golf shirts at dinner, and many guests were appalled that anyone would wear a golf shirt at any time. Fortunately, that dress code was changed to be similar to Oceania and the golf shirt rule disappeared. There are still a few of the Regent "Old Guard" who are easily appalled, but they are

By the way, the claim that Oceania promotes "casual elegance" is not quite accurate -- that's Regent (which calls their dress code "Elegant Casual". Oceania is "Cpountry Club Casual", and at least here in F;lorida, lots of guys wear baseball hats at the country club. They also wear shorts to dinner quite often...

But, the bottom line is that I'm with Digby -- there's nothing wrong with the picture. The dress code applies at dinner except at the Terrace Buffet, and the picture was quite obviously taken during the day. We don't know why the gentleman in the backgrond is wearing the hat, and it's not our place to pass judgement on him unless and until we know that answer. Perhaps the simplest answer is that the Powers That Be left him in the picture in order to scare off the snobs...:rolleyes:

Archived