Skype on Crown Princess

kicker

Just back from CP and, after reading negative reports on here about Internet service, we almost left our I-Pad home. We decided to take it - glad we did.

No internet problems for us. We bought a 100 minute package for $55, used it to Skype every night with our kids and, especially, our 2 yr old DGD. We had one night when the pic didn't always match the words, but overall it worked extremely well.

You where the lucky one . People on our Emerald cruise in Nov 2011 where complaining that there Skype won't work properly on board .

The IT manager said that Skype ans similiar products will only work about

20% of the time on board. The biggest factor is the operational requirements of the ship. This takes priority over all other uses of the internet.

Geographical location also affects the internet.

They usually highly recommend not using Skype or similiar programs on the ship.

No internet problems for us. We bought a 100 minute package for $55, used it to Skype every night with our kids and, especially, our 2 yr old DGD. We had one night when the pic didn't always match the words, but overall it worked extremely well.

You were fortunate. Video eats up a lot of bandwith. Makes it hard for everyone else who wants to get on. Sometimes the IT folks neck down the connections because of that.

Skyping in public venues is annoying. For some reason people think they have to scream into the mic on their IPads, computers, etc. Then, everyone becomes part of their conversation--just like people with their cell phones on speaker.

Please Don't Cruise and Skype:

A common question is whether Skype and similar services will work on cruise ships, and the answer is yes, but...

The amount of information (bandwith) that can be sent and received from the ship is very limited due to it being a satellite connection. Skype (especially with video) consumes a large portion of that capacity. This has two effects, possibly making your connection very poor, but also reducing the amount available to the other ships passengers. Depending on the satellite signal, 3 or 4 skype users can take up almost half of the total capacity for all passengers.

For this reason some ship's engineers block voip and streaming services.

With that in mind, please be kind to your fellow cruisers and limit use of streaming services to emergencies and quick communications.

By using Skype, you've cost your fellow passengers minutes and money by using so much bandwidth. Not fair to them. I wish all the ships blocked it.

Wait a minute here.

By that logic someone who is uploading photos and video to a web site or as an email attachment is guilty of the same "crime"

If I pay for internet time, I'll use it as I choose. If Skype works I'll use it, if it doesn't I won't.

Actually its not the same. Uploading an image does use more bandwith but for only the time of the actual upload and at a much lower data usage (different data transfer protocol). Skype and similar programs maintain a constant connection which uses a lot more packet overhead (I can get into latency and stream dynamics with error checking if needed).

You are correct, it is your right to use it as you choose, you do pay for it. All myself (and others) ask is that you be aware of the impact you may have on other people and use it as sparingly as possible, or perhaps forgo video and use audio only.

I'll probably start a tizzy by saying this, but streaming users are in the same general as chair hogs, taking a disproportionate amount of a limited resource. (Yes, I know the analogy is not quite exact as chair hogging is technically against the rules - maybe elevator hogs?)

Wait a minute here.

By that logic someone who is uploading photos and video to a web site or as an email attachment is guilty of the same "crime"

If I pay for internet time, I'll use it as I choose. If Skype works I'll use it, if it doesn't I won't.

Actually its not the same. Uploading an image does use more bandwith but for only the time of the actual upload and at a much lower data usage (different data transfer protocol). Skype and similar programs maintain a constant connection which uses a lot more packet overhead (I can get into latency and stream dynamics with error checking if needed).

You are correct, it is your right to use it as you choose, you do pay for it. All myself (and others) ask is that you be aware of the impact you may have on other people and use it as sparingly as possible, or perhaps forgo video and use audio only.

I'll probably start a tizzy by saying this, but streaming users are in the same general as chair hogs, taking a disproportionate amount of a limited resource. (Yes, I know the analogy is not quite exact as chair hogging is technically against the rules - maybe elevator hogs?)

I guess I'm not one who accepts censorship or rules restricting the use of of internet time one buys and pays for. If someone wants to go to youtube or upload a days worth of holiday pic to a web hosting site or skype who's to say they shouldn't. If there was a real bandwith issue the cruise line can block certain sites/applications. They don't to my knowledge any more... but I believe a few used to block skype.

Comparing internet use to chair hoggs? :rolleyes::rolleyes: LOL!

By using Skype, you've cost your fellow passengers minutes and money by using so much bandwidth. Not fair to them. I wish all the ships blocked it.

Hey, I'm not the selfish type, and NO ONE ever told me that my using Skype might interfere with other's computer usage. I'm a computer novice and you shouldn't assume everyone knows about bandwidth and such.

We specifically asked the IT about Skype before we purchased the plan. If the ship had any problems with it, he should have told us.

We also used it for only a few minutes each night just before dinner to see our DGD. If that offends anyone I'm sorry, but since the IT is the one who told it was okay, I don't particualrly appreciate being flamed on here.:(

PS: I thought I was being nice by mentioning on here how well it worked - the responses are a total surprise to me.

I guess I'm not one who accepts censorship or rules restricting the use of of internet time one buys and pays for.

Comparing internet use to chair hoggs? :rolleyes::rolleyes: LOL!

It's not "censorship," it's a matter of consideration.

If there's hogs' stuff all over chairs, I have the options of removing a towel that's been on a chair for an hour, or looking for a seat elsewhere. (Although, of course, hogs might similarly argue that their fare paid for poolside seating, so why should they obey rules?) But if I'm trying to do simple stuff online with my allotted minutes, but am stymied because you're watching YouTube vids of cute puppies, that's just tough for me.

Like you said, no comparison.

I don't have much faith in the IT guys on the ship. I went down because of our lousy connection and being cut off every ten minutes. First he said it was my laptop that was cauing the problem - we had two and both were doing the same thing whether we used them at the same time or separate.

But what got me was when he told me to leave the cabin door open whenever we used the computers.:eek:

Hey, I'm not the selfish type, and NO ONE ever told me that my using Skype might interfere with other's computer usage. I'm a computer novice and you shouldn't assume everyone knows about bandwidth and such.

We specifically asked the IT about Skype before we purchased the plan. If the ship had any problems with it, he should have told us.

We also used it for only a few minutes each night just before dinner to see our DGD. If that offends anyone I'm sorry, but since the IT is the one who told it was okay, I don't particualrly appreciate being flamed on here.:(

PS: I thought I was being nice by mentioning on here how well it worked - the responses are a total surprise to me.

I have to agree. I have never used Skype but if I did and asked the IT manager and he said it was fine then how would I know I was interfering with others internet usage? I don't know all the ins and outs how things work, just know what I need to do and how to resolve a few issues.

If the ships didn't want them to use it they would find a way to ban it.

I did think the internet on the Crown was the slowest I have ever experienced. And I don't think it had anything to do with Kicker using Skype. :rolleyes:

It's not "censorship," it's a matter of consideration.

I disagree. What is the bandwidth allocated to passenger computer usage? What is the bandwidth of the entire ship? I don't know, nor likely does anyone posting here today.

If there were bandwidth issues the cruise line can limit programs/apps that they deem too heavy. Since they don't how can one say that one computer using skpye can slow the entire network down? In fact, if the network is slowed down, skype won't work right?

30mbhb4.jpg

Satellite operates on different protocols (and lower bandwith) than any of those, but the closest is the first ADSL list which as you noted has 6 concurrent connections. A VOIP is a full time on connection, so each VOIP user dominates one connection.

And the ship's engineers can choose to limit VOIP, some do in response to passengers complaints and/or operational needs.

One person using skype will probably not have a noticable impact. Maybe even 2 or 3, but 4 or more starts using some serious traffic.

I actually had found out the bandwith available to a single channel satellite system (which is what Princess uses) but I have no idea what percentage is available to passenger use at any given time.

Again my point is not necessarily don't use skype. It's more a matter of be considerate to your fellow users by using it as little as possible, not using video, lowering the quality, etc. There's no obligation to do so, but its the right thing to do..

I disagree. What is the bandwidth allocated to passenger computer usage? What is the bandwidth of the entire ship? I don't know, nor likely does anyone posting here today.

If there were bandwidth issues the cruise line can limit programs/apps that they deem too heavy. Since they don't how can one say that one computer using skpye can slow the entire network down? In fact, if the network is slowed down, skype won't work right?

30mbhb4.jpg

IBut what got me was when he told me to leave the cabin door open whenever we used the computers.:eek:

Unfortunately, the shipwide WIFI does not have a strong signal everywhere on the ship. We have been in cabins with a strong signal and also in a cabin with such a poor signal that I had to prop open the door (just a little, using the trash pail) to get a usable signal.

Don't blame the Internet guru for that. It is a fact of life with the equipment used.

On one voyage I saw a man in his bathrobe sitting on the hallway floor in front of his cabin using his laptop. Aparrently, just opening the door did not work for him.

It is very likely that the ship throttles VOIP and Video protocols thus limiting the impact of these software packages on the network. It is not hard to do. I can't imagine that they are NOT doing this. If this is the case, using Skype has no more effect on the ship's overall connection than anyone else.

Unfortunately, the shipwide WIFI does not have a strong signal everywhere on the ship. We have been in cabins with a strong signal and also in a cabin with such a poor signal that I had to prop open the door (just a little, using the trash pail) to get a usable signal.

Don't blame the Internet guru for that. It is a fact of life with the equipment used.quote]

I know signals aren't the same all over the ship but my point (which I didn't mention because I thought most people knew) is that you are NOT suppose to leave your doors open - it screws with the ac for the cabins around you.

They don't always, hence the variance in performance. If you can get a video stream on a cruise ship connection, there is no throttle in play.

There seems to be a disparity on how proactive ships IT engineers are on this matter.

It is very likely that the ship throttles VOIP and Video protocols thus limiting the impact of these software packages on the network. It is not hard to do. I can't imagine that they are NOT doing this. If this is the case, using Skype has no more effect on the ship's overall connection than anyone else.

There seems to be a disparity on how proactive ships IT engineers are on this matter.

This is the impression I am getting reading the numerous internet threads. It sounds like a lot like "your mileage may vary".

I firmly agree.....:):):)

Bob

Don't blame the Internet guru for that. It is a fact of life with the equipment used.quote]

I know signals aren't the same all over the ship but my point (which I didn't mention because I thought most people knew) is that you are NOT suppose to leave your doors open - it screws with the ac for the cabins around you.

That's the balcony sliding glass door to the outside that you're not supposed to leave open, not the hallway cabin door.

That's the balcony sliding glass door to the outside that you're not supposed to leave open, not the hallway cabin door.

I know. He said to leave both open. And I like to go online late at night - don't really want to be on my balcony with the cabin door open since I couldn't see it from most of the balcony. I just didn't think it was a very safe practice to tell people to do that.

And we have never had a problem getting online in any other cabin. We have had that same suite on several other ships.

I have been yelled at by several cabin stewards before for leaving my cabin door open so I didn't have to listen for someone knocking when we would have parties on our balcony.

All I am saying is that not all internet cafe managers are that great. Many people posted that this guy was a dude.

I meant the door to the hallway, not the door to the balcony.

Archived