Riviera - Maiden Voyage Rescheduled

Jancruz

In recent weeks, you may have read in the news about the labor strikes at the Fincantieri shipyard where our newest ship, Riviera is being built. While Fincantieri had been assuring us that Riviera would be delivered on time despite the construction delays, they advised us late last week that the strikes lasted longer than they anticipated and will now result in a late delivery of the ship. As a result, we are forced to reschedule Riviera's maiden voyage to May 16 and to cancel her April 24 and May 6 cruises.

A press release announcing this news will be issued tomorrow morning (and will be sent to you as well), but we wanted you to be among the very first to know, and to hear it directly from us before then.

Tomorrow we will begin notifying everyone with bookings on these two cancelled voyages. Guests will have the option of transferring their payments to another cruise or receiving a full refund. All guests will receive a future cruise credit, which ranges from $250 to $1,000 per guest depending on their category of accommodation.

Jancruz1

I've been expecting this, but I feel so sorry for all involved. And I'm awfully glad we cancelled the original B2B long ago!

At least the passengers are being notified before pay-up date.

Mura

I've been expecting this, but I feel so sorry for all involved. And I'm awfully glad we cancelled the original B2B long ago!

At least the passengers are being notified before pay-up date.

Mura

Yes very classy of them!!

Jancruz1

Jan, thanks for posting this. Can we assume that, because the word 'lasted' is in the past tense, this implies the strikes are now over?

Not at all. The strike is still on. See the strike thread. I am on a July cruise and mildly concerned. I am not booking non-refundable air or ground arrangements until the ship is delivered.

Please accept my condolences to those who have anticipated these cruises all this time.

Well said. I anticipate our cruise months ahead of time and cannot imagine how one feels when something of this nature happens. At least they are able to give notifications a couple months in advance.

Yes very classy of them!!

Jancruz1[/quoTE

Maybe if you are booking from Canada or US but we were required to pay early December 2011 - via the one and only Australian Oceania agent. And please no-one say we should do something about it. We have tried and not a thing happened.:(

Thanks, Jan. At least we know a little more. I guess we'll be busy for the next few days cancelling hotels and tours.

We're still committed to the Maiden Voyage of Riviera, no matter when or where it sails, but we're fortunate to be flexible. We're also fortunate that we left the flights up to Oceania.

I can imagine the staff at Oceania will be beating their heads against the wall to figure out all the remifications of the changes. I note at a qucik look that the May 16 cruise is less that we were to pay for the original 10 day April 14 cruise. Also, it really wouldn't be fair to charge a new deviation fee if one has paid it already.

The 5/16 itinerary is not as long as the 4/24, and not as interesting to us, and has no sea days (which we love, and which I need from time to time). This one is going to require some thought. I realize I just contradicted myself about our commitment, but there's a lot to consider.

Looks like I'll be spending the next day or so cancelling hotels and such...

Thank you, Jan. I am so very disappointed. I was so excited about this itinerary and the fact it was a maiden voyage. Like Don, we will be spending a lot of time cancelling tours and hotels. We did not take Oceania's air. Hopefully they will pay the change fee. Can't hurt to ask...... They paid it for others on the first maiden voyage change. We had not booked air at that time.

I know how disappointed everyone is and I know Oceania will do all possible to make everyone happy..I know I also feel badly as I had plans to go on also..it is just one of those unfortunate things that happen in life..I call it my grin and bear it moment!!

Jancruz1

So, what do you suggest if we have hotel reservations that we can only change but not cancel? We leave on the 5/26 sailing. :confused:

I suggest you see if Oceania has space available on the 26th ..last time I checked reservations were closed..depends on what city your reservations are..perhaps you can find a cruise later in the year that leaves or arrives from the same city..

Jancruz1

On our first Raddison (now Regent) cruise we thought it was the 4th out when actually it was an inaugural because it was held up from the original date. In all honesty, it was a good thing they postponed it because it was not without some major problems even delayed.

I'm sorry so many are being disappointed. Another good reason to let the cruise line hold your hand all the way through.

In recent weeks, you may have read in the news about the labor strikes at the Fincantieri shipyard where our newest ship, Riviera is being built. While Fincantieri had been assuring us that Riviera would be delivered on time despite the construction delays, they advised us late last week that the strikes lasted longer than they anticipated and will now result in a late delivery of the ship. As a result, we are forced to reschedule Riviera's maiden voyage to May 16 and to cancel her April 24 and May 6 cruises.

A press release announcing this news will be issued tomorrow morning (and will be sent to you as well), but we wanted you to be among the very first to know, and to hear it directly from us before then.

Tomorrow we will begin notifying everyone with bookings on these two cancelled voyages. Guests will have the option of transferring their payments to another cruise or receiving a full refund. All guests will receive a future cruise credit, which ranges from $250 to $1,000 per guest depending on their category of accommodation.

Jancruz1

Are you an Oceania employee? You used phrases like "they advised us", "we are forced to reschedule", and "we wanted you to be among the very first to know". Just asking; I don't know.

Are you an Oceania employee? You used phrases like "they advised us", "we are forced to reschedule", and "we wanted you to be among the very first to know". Just asking; I don't know.

Jan is a Travel Agent who does a ton of business with Oceania.

Her Post was a quote from an Oceania Press Release, which she would be one of the first to receive.

Hi Everyone,

I wanted to express my best wishes for our Cruise Critic friends booked on the 2 affected sailings. I've had a few cruises canceled in the past, and it's disappointing to say the least.

I truly hope you will be able to choose another Oceania sailing.

Has anyone seen or does anyone have a link for this press release that was referenced? Oceania's site hasn't posted one yet. I am on the 5/26 sailing, but am concerned, nonetheless...

The Riviera will be sailing May 16 and May 26..

Jancruz1

Archived