Riviera - Maiden Voyage Rescheduled

Jancruz

Has anyone seen or does anyone have a link for this press release that was referenced? Oceania's site hasn't posted one yet. I am on the 5/26 sailing, but am concerned, nonetheless...

http://travel.usatoday.com/alliance/cruises/expertcruiser/post/2012/01/Oceania-Cruises-new-ship-Riviera-delayed-due-to-shipyard-labor-strikes/613019/1

I'm bummed!! We have another Riviera cruise booked for mid-June and if we take the New Maiden Voyage, then when we come home we have a short break and fly to europe again. Too much for us, so we will miss the NEW Maiden Voyage after all. The only consolation is that the new itinerary is not as good as the earlier one that I was so excited about.

Have a good trip everyone.

Just got word from my travel agent that she has managed to get us on the 5/16 New Maiden Voyage! I'm well satisfied. Thanks, Jan...

And I was going to try and get you and Betsy to come join Glen and I on the March 19th Marina transatlantic. Honestly we are so glad you were able to get on the new new maiden voyage as we know how meaningful it is for you all.

Cenia

Returning tonight from my hiatus from visiting these boards since the end of last year, I was shocked to read this news. I hope that all of my forum friends from past Oceania cruises and forum regulars I have come to know in the last few years who were booked on the maiden voyage are able to find another wonderful Oceania cruise opportunity that appeals to them.

Its going to be difficult to get on the new maiden, we booked a vista they managed to get me same cabin when maiden was last reschedulled, doubt if they will this time or even if i would want it!

On marina end feb then 2 crystals before what should have been the maiden may look to june. most dissapointed and think O could have handled it better. Whay wait till everyone had just paid they knew earlier than that.

JimGib

In recent weeks, you may have read in the news about the labor strikes at the Fincantieri shipyard where our newest ship, Riviera is being built. While Fincantieri had been assuring us that Riviera would be delivered on time despite the construction delays, they advised us late last week that the strikes lasted longer than they anticipated and will now result in a late delivery of the ship. As a result, we are forced to reschedule Riviera's maiden voyage to May 16 and to cancel her April 24 and May 6 cruises.

A press release announcing this news will be issued tomorrow morning (and will be sent to you as well), but we wanted you to be among the very first to know, and to hear it directly from us before then.

Tomorrow we will begin notifying everyone with bookings on these two cancelled voyages. Guests will have the option of transferring their payments to another cruise or receiving a full refund. All guests will receive a future cruise credit, which ranges from $250 to $1,000 per guest depending on their category of accommodation.

Jancruz1

Hi Jan,

Is there any way to PM you I don't know how the function works, I have rec'd PM message but don't know how to write them, or is there an email to contact you off line?

Hi Jan,

Is there any way to PM you I don't know how the function works, I have rec'd PM message but don't know how to write them, or is there an email to contact you off line?

Jan was quoting from a press release that came from Oceania Cruises:

You may reach them by telephone at 800-531-5619 or via email by clicking the "share" button at http://www.oceaniacruises.com/

Mura,

We had emailed about a tour in Italy when the ORIGINal Maiden Voyage. My TA has not heard back from Oceania yet. I want to investigate some options. We want to stay with Oceania but cost could enter in here. I have some questions for you about other venues you have pursued. Could you email me at cbmppm at comcast dot net? I would appreciate it. You were so helpful earlier. I tried to find you email but I could not--probably due to the huge disappointment that the cruise was cancelled for a second time. We are bummed out to say the least.

Pearl

Wripro's question is a good one, given that we were on the May 6th and 16th cruises, back-to-back, have to try to make changes in our airfare (which we did on our own), cancel out hotels and excursions, and were told all along by our travel agent in contact with Oceania that the May 6th cruise was not in jeopardy. By the way, the cancellation by Oceania of the May 6th cruise was only 2 days before our final payment was due to the travel agent.

We are gutted. Flying all the way from new Zealand on our trip of a lifetime (6 may voyage) of which this cruise was going 2 b highlight. Cant change flights without penalty, have non refundable hotels booked after scheduled cruise finish now have a 10 day gap we have no idea how 2 fill. Does any1 know of a cruise leaving Istanbul round 6 may for approx 10 days ending up anywhere near Venice? Tks:confused:

We are gutted. Flying all the way from new Zealand on our trip of a lifetime (6 may voyage) of which this cruise was going 2 b highlight. Cant change flights without penalty, have non refundable hotels booked after scheduled cruise finish now have a 10 day gap we have no idea how 2 fill. Does any1 know of a cruise leaving Istanbul round 6 may for approx 10 days ending up anywhere near Venice? Tks:confused:

Very likely few will want to help after your choice of a subject heading. Oceania did not cause this delay and subsequent concellations. They can't magically make the ship appear in Instanbiul on May 6 when it's not out of the shipyard. If you want to say that Fincantieri sucks, or the Fiom Uniion sucks, or fate sucks, or unions in general suck, that's a different thing. But, to say that Oceania sucks is taking out your frustration on the wrong target. Do you seriously think that Oceania wanted this to happen, or somehow caused it?

Hi Kiwis-

So sorry for you and many others who have seen their dreams & plans for trips, business, employment and time safety margins go down the tubes. Another "perfect storm" or "sh*t happens." Nobody is happy with the resulting mess. Try to forget your now previous plans, casting blame and concentrate on making new plans.

Evidently you did not have travel insurance? One thing you might do is to contact a good TA to see if another cruise might fill your 10 day hole. There are lots of boats on the Med! You have plenty of time to look at alternative locations and transport in the region.

This is being sent from NZ, by 2 US tourists on their trip of a lifetime! A voyage around NZ & to Australia on the Regatta is the centerpiece of our tour. We have had something bad happen and had to change our plans after a visit to the hospital in Hamilton What a beautiful country and good people are here! Once you get over your disappointment, I'm sure you'll come up with a plan to rescue your trip - it won't be the same - maybe better!

Being forced to sit with my leg propped up, has given me more time to absorb the beauty of a Raglan bay with constantly shifting shimmering light, and take in flower scented air from the breeze at a B&B.

Best wishes!

The closest I can find is Seabourn Odyssey leaving Istanbul on May 5th for a 7 or 14 day cruise. The 14 day cruise ends in Venice. The price I see is about $6,700/person for 14 day cruise (it's an all inclusive cruise line).

Sorry for your troubles and good luck!

I know you want a substitute cruise, but rather than lose all the money you've already invested, consider a land trip. Any good travel agent can put together a lovely trip for you that uses your existing flights and Venice hotel booking.

Time to move on from your totally misplaced anger at Oceania. To quote one of my favorite Rolling Stones lyrics: " You can't always get what you want. But if you try real hard, you just might find, you get what you need."

I agree with KSPS. I've been trying to help out another cruiser in the same boat you are -- a condo rental in Orange (France) before the cruise, and flights already booked on their own. Besides river boat cruises (which would have fit in with their schedule better than yours, I think) there are lots of land opportunities.

We once had a trip collapse half way through when a Danish friend had to cancel our plans to visit her. We went back to Prague for a few more days, finally found a flight home from Paris (back in those days you could make changes without problems), got there with no hotel reservations and had our best visit ever.

Good luck.

Mura

We are booked on a ten day Med cruise starting on June 17th and I'm starting to get a little nervous about the chances that this ship will launch in time. We are all Regent cruisers that decieded to give O a try. We are five adults celebrating a milestone birthday and would be hard pressed to have to change our plans at the last minute.

How much lead time will we get if they are to cancel our cruise. These dates are firm as our friends have put in for their vacation time which can't be altered.

As a fellow Kiwi I feel sorry for you. Of course it's not O's fault, but whatever the reason it is still hard to stomach.

If you are looking for an upmarket cruise line then Regent have a 12 night Istanbul/Venice itinerary departing 10 May. Otherwise Silverseas have various itineraries in the Med, for example they have a nice one on 5 May from Monte Carlo visiting the Greek Islands. But these may not work due to the other non refundable arrangements you have booked.

I hope you manage to get it worked out - I can imagine how disappointed you must feel.

Has anyone tried to change an itinerary that they are booked on on the Riviera for May or June that HAS NOT yet been cancelled, but they have changed on spec/worry that with the strike ongoing, it will be cancelled in the future? If so, has Oceania been accommodating?

Has anyone tried to change an itinerary that they are booked on on the Riviera for May or June that HAS NOT yet been cancelled, but they have changed on spec/worry that with the strike ongoing, it will be cancelled in the future? If so, has Oceania been accommodating?

What is there to accommodate? Final Payment isn't due yet on those June sailings, so any deposit is still 100% refundable, or switchable to a new itinerary if you prefer. :D

Archived