Freaking out!!

drider

May I suggest you make sure not to fly through Chicago - the snow factor is huge this time of year! Good Luck...waiting to hear how this dilemma is solved.

If the TA has booked them through Chicago when they are going from El Paso, Texas to Tampa, Florida, then that TA is even MORE incompetent than appeared in the beginning! :eek:

I would also call RC and explain your situation,they might be able to help might not.There was just a show on a couple of weeks ago,forget the channel but it was about what it takes to get a ship turned around in just a few hours and what the crew has to go through.The ship just happened to be a RC ship and I was only getting bits and pieces cause I was involved in something else so I don't have all the details.There was a small segment about passengers showing up with the wrong documentation,or none at all.I forget the person's title that was in charge of making sure everyone was on board but she was scrambling like crazy to get quite a few people on-board after the required check-in time.She was amazing to watch and she did manage to get them on board,even though it was well past the time required.Not saying they will be able to do this for you but its worth a shot if nothing else.Good Luck,just got off the Jewel out of Tampa and it was a GREAT cruise.
It isn't up to RCI, Homeland Security makes the rules and they will not allow boarding after the time set, no exceptions.Believe me I know from experience. My friend had one minute to get a fax of her birth certificate,no fax,no cruise,noexceptions.We made it with 30 seconds to spare, their bags had already been taken off the ship.:eek:

I would also call RC and explain your situation,they might be able to help might not.There was just a show on a couple of weeks ago,forget the channel but it was about what it takes to get a ship turned around in just a few hours and what the crew has to go through.The ship just happened to be a RC ship and I was only getting bits and pieces cause I was involved in something else so I don't have all the details.There was a small segment about passengers showing up with the wrong documentation,or none at all.I forget the person's title that was in charge of making sure everyone was on board but she was scrambling like crazy to get quite a few people on-board after the required check-in time.She was amazing to watch and she did manage to get them on board,even though it was well past the time required.Not saying they will be able to do this for you but its worth a shot if nothing else.Good Luck,just got off the Jewel out of Tampa and it was a GREAT cruise.

I think that was called MegaShips and was on the Travel Channel and was Oasis of the Seas. There was a family documented who DID get onboard, but I seem to think there was also one who didn't get the proper documentation. I could be confusing it with something else, but think that after a certain point it is out of their hands. (RCCLS)

Once had a non-stop flight from dayton to tampa arriving 10:30 am on day of cruise, flight was changed day before, stop in Atlanta and arrive 12:30. Flights were delayed, called ship, gave them our story, we landed at ft lauderdale at 3:10pm. Ran to get luggage, guys ran ahead and found taxi driver who would drive FAST. Made it to the ship at 3:55. We kept in contact with the cruise line, so they knew we were on our way, last to board, but they did let us.

[quote name='Shanafan']I am also confused by the number of people that suggest they just buy new airline tickets and go a day ahead of time. If this was a 'gift' or a bonus from what I gather. Maybe they don't have an extra grand to spend on tickets. Perhaps some other ideas other than purchasing tickets that would cost them a ton of money should be given to her.

Best of luck to the OP. It is a shame that something that should be so joyful has turned into a nightmare for you. I sincerely hope it all works out and that your travel agent....who in my opinion should fix this mess.....makes it right with you.[/QUOTE]

I don't know how fast your travel agents have worked, but the last one I used I ended up doing all the work/research. Talk about slow! By the time they actually get around to making the changes and getting approval to do so, there could be no more seats left. It's no coincidence I haven't used a travel agent again. Unfortunately for the OP, they don't really have a choice in the matter when dealing with the TA because it was a "paid-for trip". I certainly hope the TA does make it right and changes the flights so the OP is not out anymore money.

I really hope everything works out for you in the end. It stinks when something "free" ends up costing so much, especially in the way of frustration and stress. Once you get on board, put this whole mess behind you and set your mind to enjoying your first cruise. You can pick it back up when you return home, if need be.

We're all emotionally invested now, so please do let us know what happens. Good Luck and have a great cruise!

From personal experience, RCCI cannot do anything about the Homeland Security cut off. We booked flights through RCCI that wound up being delayed 6 hours and they told us even if we left our luggage and ran to port they couldn't hold the ship for even 15 minutes for us. And 1 of our passports was expired so we couldn't fly to the next port. My kids cried for days. We were able to rebook a later trip though so we didn't lose any money.

[quote name='drider']Ok Here is the scoop. DH won the cruise through his job with 6 other people. THEY arranged the cabins and flight. We will be flying into Tampa on AA. We did not get the choice. The trip with flights was booked through a TA in the hometown of the owner of the company that is gifting this cruise.[/quote]

Well, SOMEONE was smoking something very strong and VERY illegal when they made THOSE flight arrangements!

If you can't get it changed ahead of time, you may want to find out what flights are less solidly booked and try to go standby. Explain at the airport the problem and hope they take mercy on you. They can do a LOT more at the airport than the drones who answer the phones. You know, the ones from India who are reading a script...

[quote name='ryano']Wow! What an incompetent TA :o They should have KNOWN that is virtually impossible![/QUOTE]

Agreed!! That's insane....if that's the case then they should pay the fee to change the flight. No way you will make the cruise and why would you want to start a vacation being in a panic about making it.

[quote name='toots13']From personal experience, RCCI cannot do anything about the Homeland Security cut off. We booked flights through RCCI that wound up being delayed 6 hours and they told us even if we left our luggage and ran to port they couldn't hold the ship for even 15 minutes for us. And 1 of our passports was expired so we couldn't fly to the next port. My kids cried for days. We were able to rebook a later trip though so we didn't lose any money.[/QUOTE]
[FONT="Comic Sans MS"][SIZE="3"][COLOR="Purple"]
It's interesting though that in certain circumstances ships DO wait for passengers to arrive for embarkation. When I was on Jewel out of Miami there was extreme weather north of the country and flights were delayed. I remember arriving in MIA from the UK the day pre cruise and there was chaos then (or is that normal for MIA?). We boarded early the next day. The captain delayed departure into the evening as there would be a fair number of people on delayed arriving flights; now I'm guessing that their flights were RCCL arranged. So there has to be some official means of delaying departure due to passenger absence.[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

[quote name='Shanafan']I think that was called MegaShips and was on the Travel Channel and was Oasis of the Seas. There was a family documented who DID get onboard, but I seem to think there was also one who didn't get the proper documentation. I could be confusing it with something else, but think that after a certain point it is out of their hands. (RCCLS)[/quote]

I agree,its a long shot but that women sure was trying her best to get those people on the cruise.I feel sorry for the OP but its not their fault they are in this predicament,they are first time cruisers.I would be going crazy on the TA who booked this for them.I would at least contact RC and see what they had to say,even if it was bad news.

Would it be feasible to change the flights to an early flight into Orlando and rent a vehicle one way to get you to Tampa? It's not that long of a drive.

I hope it all works out fine and that you become addicted to cruising like so many of us. If so, you will have your fancy duds, passports, etc already and not have to worry about those expenses again.

Happy Sails to You

OOOEEE Baby :D:D Bob and Phyl

[quote name='NorbertsNiece'][FONT="Comic Sans MS"][SIZE="3"][COLOR="Purple"]
It's interesting though that in certain circumstances ships DO wait for passengers to arrive for embarkation. When I was on Jewel out of Miami there was extreme weather north of the country and flights were delayed. I remember arriving in MIA from the UK the day pre cruise and there was chaos then (or is that normal for MIA?). We boarded early the next day. The captain delayed departure into the evening as there would be a fair number of people on delayed arriving flights; now I'm guessing that their flights were RCCL arranged. So there has to be some official means of delaying departure due to passenger absence.[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/QUOTE]

Wow, those passengers were lucky if the ship was able to wait. the OP cannot count on this happening, especially not for six independent travelers.

I hope the OP comes back with an update. if the flights are not changed, I would only take carryon bags...waiting at the luggage carousel would be a poor way to spend the few precious minutes.

for those discussing O'hare in winter, I do not think the original tickets have that routing...I think the original tickets probably connect at DFW.

[quote name='av8tr21']I don't know how fast your travel agents have worked, but the last one I used I ended up doing all the work/research. Talk about slow! By the time they actually get around to making the changes and getting approval to do so, there could be no more seats left. It's no coincidence I haven't used a travel agent again. Unfortunately for the OP, they don't really have a choice in the matter when dealing with the TA because it was a "paid-for trip". I certainly hope the TA does make it right and changes the flights so the OP is not out anymore money.[/QUOTE]

I never use a travel agent. I would rather have control if my booking (price drops, etc) but OP had to go through a TA. I agree that I would look at what flights work and tell the TA flight XXXX has 2 seats available.

[quote name='NorbertsNiece'][FONT="Comic Sans MS"][SIZE="3"][COLOR="Purple"]
It's interesting though that in certain circumstances ships DO wait for passengers to arrive for embarkation. When I was on Jewel out of Miami there was extreme weather north of the country and flights were delayed. I remember arriving in MIA from the UK the day pre cruise and there was chaos then (or is that normal for MIA?). We boarded early the next day. The captain delayed departure into the evening as there would be a fair number of people on delayed arriving flights; now I'm guessing that their flights were RCCL arranged. So there has to be some official means of delaying departure due to passenger absence.[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/QUOTE]

Similar thing happened on a Princess cruise for us. A large group was late arriving and we were told it was people on Princess purchased air. Apparently what happens in this case is that the cruise line is allowed to pre-clear these people with Homeland Security on the manifest and they can literally walk on board as they pull up the gangplank.

[quote name='nbsjcruiser']Similar thing happened on a Princess cruise for us. A large group was late arriving and we were told it was people on Princess purchased air. Apparently what happens in this case is that the cruise line is allowed to pre-clear these people with Homeland Security on the manifest and they can literally walk on board as they pull up the gangplank.[/QUOTE]

That's probably because once they check in for the flight, Princess checks them in since they would be aware of who was and wasn't on the flight. I've heard of ships being held for cruise line booked flights, but not for individuals. I've also heard of ships being delayed to allow for travel during bad weather, blizzards for example. In these cases you're usually talking about at least several hundred people and not just a few.

Goodness... sill on pins and needles but I had to laugh at the TA. She said... "That must be a new rule about checking in 90 minutes early. I have never heard about that. On the other hand I did ask the GM of the company if he wanted to fly in the night before and he said no. I also asked him if he wanted to pay the extra 20 each per ticket to get refundable tickets that allow changes for no fees and he also refused those." She also said that no matter what they will get us all on a flight for the night before but they will not get rooms for us. We will have to do that on our own. She said that my DH and I will not have to pay any change fees. I think the TA and the GM will have some discussions about that but it will not be our problem. The seats for the flight they are looking at are filling fast and I wish we would have had an answer for me yesterday. All in all I have a positive feeling things will get worked out but I will not settle down until I get a confirmation with the flight changes.

Sounds like you are on your way though, they have admitted its their error (oh those pesky rule changes from a decade ago, trips them up every time!:rolleyes:) and are working on some type of alternate flights at their expense. So that's all good, you are not likely to love the alternative transportation you get this late in the game, but it will at least get you there!
Hopefully, by next week, this will just be a funny story you can tell at the schooner bar!

Hoping and praying for a positive outcome.

At least they agreed to absorb the flight change fee. Have you looked into an inexpensive hotel for the one night? (Does someone posting here have a recommendation for her?) It's an expense you weren't planning on, but worth the compromise for the piece of mind of not missing your cruise.

You will love Jewel and the western Carib. Once you're onboard, you'll have a great time!

[FONT="Comic Sans MS"][SIZE="3"][COLOR="Purple"]Hey :D

Good news! I love how people (the TA) try to absolve themselves of responsibility like that.... wasn't me was someone else.... they changed the rules.... blah blah. Glad this is getting resolved for you.[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

[quote name='drider']... "That must be a new rule about checking in 90 minutes early. I have never heard about that. .[/quote]

Yes, its new alright. If she considers 10 years or so as "new" :p

Sounds like things are getting better for you. Still hoping the best for this situation! Although it seems tragic right now, once on board, it will be something to laugh and joke about!

Archived