Passengers removed from ship for failure to muster

blazeinthesun

I know I will be in the minority on this but in my book, removing the passenger was overkill on Holland America's part.

Yes, surely this passenger who missed the drill should have been admonished by the ships officers. That said, throw him off the ship ? Suddenly the Carnival brands are going to try and make up for getting caught with their pants down big time over what occured on Costa Concordia. Not because their was a crazy captain but rather because all of the systems for a speedy and orderly evacation that were to have been in place failed royally! And now they are taking it out on a few stupid passengers so they can appear "dilligent to the media and public at large?"

Carnival, clean up your act first before taking it out on the passengers!

Worldspan

131 cruises strong

Are all the facts in? Was the passenger(s) uncooperative?

I know I will be in the minority on this but in my book, removing the passenger was overkill on Holland America's part.

Yes, surely this passenger who missed the drill should have been admonished by the ships officers. That said, throw him off the ship ? Suddenly the Carnival brands are going to try and make up for getting caught with their pants down big time over what occured on Costa Concordia. Not because their was a crazy captain but rather because all of the systems for a speedy and orderly evacation that were to have been in place failed royally! And now they are taking it out on a few stupid passengers so they can appear "dilligent to the media and public at large?"

Worldspan

131 cruises strong

This was a part of cleaning up their act. Any passenger who does not comply with safety regulations is a passenger I do not want to be sailing on the same ship with. I have zero sympathy in this case.

Worldspan

131 cruises strong

There had to be a reason for this. Unless we know exactly why, I don't think anyone should jump to conclusions that there wasn't extenuating circumstances.

Maybe now that the story made, what was it, USA Today? Anyway, national news...Holland America will divulge why.

Personally, regardless of the reason why, I'm happy that Holland America is willing to bear scrutiny and do the right thing, instead of washing a single incident under the rug (letting a passenger who makes serious violations stay and looking the other way) and counting the odds that no one noticed someone got away with something they shouldn't have for the sake of business and dollars.

I REALLY doubt that they would do this if it weren't serious.

they, the sweep teams, look for any passengers onboard the vessel not physically located on boat deck where the drill is taking place. They "sweep" all passenger area's while the room stewards check the interior of their assigned cabins. When/if pax are located, they are directed to the boat deck and the drill. If they refuse, a meeting takes place with the chief officer at the front office, in which they are once again directed to take part in the drill. If they still refuse, they are directed to pack/get their bags and disembark

Based on the above info provided to us, (underlining mine) although Copper is too much of a professional to tell us exactly what happened, although I'm sure he knows, it seems that the passenger refused to attend the drill, it looks like it would have been twice (once when initially asked and then again when chief officer told him to attend) and thus was told to go. This isn't overkill. This is letting all of us know who is ultimately in charge of the ship, and it isn't us. I'm good with that.

Good job HAL.

Did you not know the answer, or just couldn't be bothered, Peter? Just wondered.

And here I thought I was being helpful.. providing a link to all the common abbreviations!

If I couldn't be bothered I would not have responded at all :D

Edited by Boytjie

Good idea to copy the link. If you had cut and pasted the list into this thread, it may have been considered plagerism! :p

That's my first time seeing that list.

When my daughter was 10, 16 yrs ago, I found a list that looked a lot like that. It was pager codes. I copied it so I could decipher her coded messages. :D

Worldspan

131 cruises strong

I'm going to disagree with you. This is a game some passengers play and they end up being a danger not only to themselves but also others. There is NO reason not to attend. Refusal to attend does, in my opinion, justify removal from the ship.

Blame whoever you want, but the fact is all the passenger had to do was attend a 15-20 safety drill and (s)he would have been on the ship when it left Fort Lauderdale.

I wonder if it would be as effective if those who intentionally miss muster are made (all week) to wear a "bib" that says, "I missed muster."

Unfortunately, there are some people who spend their entire life as infantile egomaniacs in need of attention. There undoubtedly would be more than a few who would test it to see, have fun taking photos all over the ship wearing it, and become a problem when no one cares anymore and they take it off.

Edited by Amuse Bouche

I appreciate the policy of being able to take them off the ship and this is why....

The cruise line is who has to pay for their insurance. They accept the liability of taking 4000 souls onto the ocean trusting they won't do something stupid or irresponsible and hurt/kill themselves or anyone else. Everytime they have an accident, there are repercussions, such as higher premiums, PR damage control, legal fees to defend themselves, settlements for injured or traumatized passengers...etc.

As everyone knows, those added costs are passed down to us. Either our rates will go up, or or perks and comforts will be eliminated. Or Both.

Anyone who cares only about themselves and not the cruiseline or their fellow passengers and misses muster, or doesn't follow all the rules made to ensure that safety can be controlled should be tossed off immediately.

Sorry if anyone thinks that's harsh, but really??? I want to cruise until I'm dead. As often as possible. My name isn't Bill Gates. $1000 to $2000 x 2 is about all I can afford to book.

Edited by Amuse Bouche