opting out of auto tipping?

Antique1900

I would not like auto tipping either; I feel I can tip at the end like one other cruise lines do how much, and agree with the children thing. I have 3 kids cruising with us, and I will be the one cleaning up after them after they clean up after themselves. When we go out and stay at hotels, I never want room service. Something about people touching my things. And for the dinner I don't understand why it is per person, why not 15% of the entire bill, like other restaurants? Why per person??? Not trying to be mean, just curious as we are going on a first cruise soon.

So you'll be making their beds, changing their towels, serving their meals? Um right. Another one that I hear the birdies singing...

I commented on this thread when it was first posted. It has been interesting to follow.

I wish the cruiselines would make the price of the cruise inclusive of tips and include each passenger regardless of age. It would raise the cost of the cruise, but would seem to be an equitable solution.

Shirley

I commented on this thread when it was first posted. It has been interesting to follow.

I wish the cruiselines would make the price of the cruise inclusive of tips and include each passenger regardless of age. It would raise the cost of the cruise, but would seem to be an equitable solution.

Shirley

Why should they? Most of us understand how this works and are comfortable with it. It doesn't take being a rocket scientist to figure it out. Raising the price to cover these charges would end up costing us money. The taxes and fees paid on a higher full fare price would be more, and the cost of purchasing insurance could be more as well due to a higher price point. All for the sake of paying the same amount of money in the end without having to be aware about it - that's all you would gain.

Why should they? Most of us understand how this works and are comfortable with it. It doesn't take being a rocket scientist to figure it out. Raising the price to cover these charges would end up costing us money. The taxes and fees paid on a higher full fare price would be more, and the cost of purchasing insurance could be more as well due to a higher price point. All for the sake of paying the same amount of money in the end without having to be aware about it - that's all you would gain.

And you would be removing the concept of team incentive for superior service. You might not like the idea of having pay reflect quality of work (service), but if the cruise lines believe it is a viable managemen model, why not?

Shirley

Why? Obviously, you are aware of how the system works. It can only surprise anyone once and that really shouldn't be possible in the present day and age. We all know that the crew needs the DSC and that it needs to be paid.

Wow , of you all have your panties in a knot! People are asking questions and your belittling them. Everyone has their own opionions, views and just

because they dont want to auto pay does not mean they wont tip. Lighten up people.

You know what they say.

"It's not about the money!"

Guess what? It's almost ALWAYS about the money.

Wow , of you all have your panties in a knot! People are asking questions and your belittling them. Everyone has their own opionions, views and just

because they dont want to auto pay does not mean they wont tip. Lighten up people.

Actually one of the posters did indicate that they weren't planning on tipping for their teenager, because he was a "child". Not sure how they think that exempts one from tipping, I guess trying any angle towards justification.

Posting opposing opinions is not belittling. I can't stand the politically correct "no criticism" mind set. Someone does need to lighten up though.:D

Actually one of the posters did indicate that they weren't planning on tipping for their teenager, because he was a "child". Not sure how they think that exempts one from tipping, I guess trying any angle towards justification.

It was, in fact, ladybug, the one who advised us to un-knot our panties, who has the three impeccable children for whom tips should not be expected.

It was, in fact, ladybug, the one who advised us to un-knot our panties, who has the three impeccable children for whom tips should not be expected.

Hey, kids are expensive! I understand why she doesn't wanta pay for them!

Not.

I hope everyone doesn't mind if I ask a question about tips. Does the bar staff pool their tips with the other crew meembers or does the bar staff keep their own tips to themselves. Does the bar staff get a potion of autotips?

The bar staff gets their tips via a 15% service charge on a per drink basis.

I never said I was not paying, anyways my consultant whom I got the reservation from said it is up to us if we want to auto pay or not. Whatever I do, people are asking opinions here, not wanting to hear how children aren't less work. Ridiculous if you ask me that you are the one acting out like children. And no, I don't need to lighten up, I just voiced my opinion. Haha

I did not say i was not paying for them, but I will pay how good the service is. My choice, if you don't like it then I'm sorry:( That is why you have a choice how to pay. I'm not the minority. I am different and that is what makes me Special:))))

What doe this mean ( If you can't afford your children then why go on a cruise ) Did anyone say they were not tipping , and I was not talking about me. I was talking about others that were being talked down to. I was just stating what I read...maybe a misjudgment on my part. But then, who is to judge what others do?

This is what I wrote abut tips way back in early January:-

We pay our "tips" in advance, but I don't actually see it as tips. It is better to think of it as part of the cost of the cruise and then forget about it. Maybe the cruise lines do this so they can advertise a $500 week or something - which becomes $1100 when you add this "tip" and your balcony etc! I will then give personal tips very early on, esp to my room steward and will give smaller tips throughout my holiday. I have never had less than exemplary service. As for not "seeing" something being done - well surely that is because "it" is being done properly. I think a ship is like a duck - the majority of the work goes on underneath the water! I do not tip because I see them as "poor" or some such thing and would never ever ask about someones financial situation - the same as I would not expect someone to ask me how much I earned!

Its nothing to do with 'anti-tipping' or 'aren't pro tipping'. Tipping in most of Europe is not required, or expected. We believe in fair wages for a fair days work. If that means increasing the cruise fare and getting rid of tips or service charges then so be it(just as Princess have done in Australia, and RCI have to the 15% on drinks on cruises in Europe). It would also remove any, and all, questions such as the OP raised.

Not true in France our bus driver and tour guide BOTH passed around an envelope for tips.

but I will pay how good the service is. My choice, if you don't like it then I'm sorry

And just HOW do you decide how good the service is??? Didn't I read somewhere that this is your first cruise??? IF it is, you sure are going about it bassackwards.

And if the service is NOT up to how good YOU think it should be, you do know you have to account for what you feel is lacking??? They ASK you why you are removing the auto tip. The room steward/waiters who have direct contact with you have to account for WHY they didn't provide the service YOU were expecting when you remove the auto tip. And the entire crew knows WHO removed auto tips.

When someone removes the auto tips, ALL money you gave personally to someone gets pooled, so as a general rule, the crew gets stiffed. Even if you gave the steward and waiter $100 each, it would still be LESS than what the auto tips are for 4-5 people. So plan on giving them at least $200 each to at least play fair.

I can just see this cruise-no auto tip, service wasn't up to par to save some money and the kids and Mom are yelling into the walkie talkies that she wants to use to keep track of the kids.

Archived