opting out of auto tipping?

Antique1900

I also wish the cruiselines would have some reasonable discounted graduated rate scale for children, especially those that are sharing a cabin as 3rd or 4th passengers.

I know that others argue that even children are dirtying towels and such; but how much extra work is it to throw another towel in the laundry and make up 1 more bed? There is still only 1 carpet to vacuum, 1 shower to clean, 1 sink, 1 toilet, etc. And as far as extra mess in the cabin, when we sailed with our young children in the room it was a rule that everything was kept in its place. With 4 people needing to move about, clutter was a no no. So our room probably took less time to clean up than many I've peeked at with only 2 occupants who dropped things all over..

Using this argument, then do you also believe that the tip for the 2nd person in the room should be less as well? Perhaps it should also be less on port days since the occupants are on shore for most of the morning and afternoon and not able to "dirty" up the room during that time. :D

most cruise lines charge less for the third and fourth in the room already...some vary greatly...

NCL occasionally runs kids sail free(as 3 or more in the room) or at even at reduced rates and charge less for the kids in the pay restaurants as well...

That is exactly the point I'm making. The cruiselines acknowledge that 3rd and 4th people require less effort, and kids pay less in restaurants for a reason. So why not acknowledge it on the DSC as well?

Using this argument, then do you also believe that the tip for the 2nd person in the room should be less as well? Perhaps it should also be less on port days since the occupants are on shore for most of the morning and afternoon and not able to "dirty" up the room during that time. :D

No...that would be a totally different argument that would make no sense to me since the cruise prices are all based on the norm of 2 per room. So why should the 2nd person pay less?

And the port day argument holds as much water as I don't use the pool so won't need pool towels or I don't go to shows so should get an entertainment discount or women eat less than their husbands or I'm on a diet so I eat less or I'm a vegetarian and don't eat any expensive meats, blah, blah, blah. An adult has the ability and opportunity to engage in as many onboard activities as they wish (in their room and about the ship) and eat as much or as little as they want after paying an adult fare for the trip! Period. End of story.

My point is kids are not adults (refer to original post please) and the total DSC for a family can become unjustifiably (IMO) prohibitive. Then, since people who feel it is unfair are not allowed to simply reduce it but must remove it, I have a feeling that the staff ends up being shorted more than they would if the rates were more reasonable. But I may be wrong.

My point is kids are not adults (refer to original post please) and the total DSC for a family can become unjustifiably (IMO) prohibitive.

If you can't afford to pay the DSC required, then your family can't afford the cruise. Do the right thing - don't go on a cruise if you can't afford to give the staff who provide service to you what they deserve! Simple solution. It's not all about what you want.

That is exactly the point I'm making. The cruiselines acknowledge that 3rd and 4th people require less effort, and kids pay less in restaurants for a reason. So why not acknowledge it on the DSC as well?

No...that would be a totally different argument that would make no sense to me since the cruise prices are all based on the norm of 2 per room. So why should the 2nd person pay less?

And the port day argument holds as much water as I don't use the pool so won't need pool towels or I don't go to shows so should get an entertainment discount or women eat less than their husbands or I'm on a diet so I eat less or I'm a vegetarian and don't eat any expensive meats, blah, blah, blah. An adult has the ability and opportunity to engage in as many onboard activities as they wish (in their room and about the ship) and eat as much or as little as they want after paying an adult fare for the trip! Period. End of story.

My point is kids are not adults (refer to original post please) and the total DSC for a family can become unjustifiably (IMO) prohibitive. Then, since people who feel it is unfair are not allowed to simply reduce it but must remove it, I have a feeling that the staff ends up being shorted more than they would if the rates were more reasonable. But I may be wrong.

what you post is just nonsense. They do it to get families to cruise. Its not less work for the service staff. Get over your self already. Justify it anyway you want but you are just cheap...bordering on niggardly.

what you post is just nonsense. They do it to get families to cruise. Its not less work for the service staff. Get over your self already. Justify it anyway you want but you are just cheap...bordering on niggardly.

If you had bothered to read my original post, I was quite clear to state I have never not tipped the requested amount for anyone and would not attempt to short anyone so I don't know where you get that I am cheap/niggardly. You might want to read everything before you post such nonsensical accusations.

If you can't afford to pay the DSC required, then your family can't afford the cruise. Do the right thing - don't go on a cruise if you can't afford to give the staff who provide service to you what they deserve! Simple solution. It's not all about what you want.

I'm all in favor of giving the staff who provide service what they deserve. I also see a difference in what one deserves for preparing/serving a kids' meal and a 5 course dinner. You are obviously not a cook/server if you cannot see the distinction.

But I guarantee your servers love you when you eat out at Ruth's Chris Steakhouse at home and your child gets a burger and you "do the right thing" and tip based on the prices as if he had ordered the escargot, surf and turf, and flaming dessert. After all, he was in a seat and dirtied a dish. Just saying....

But I guarantee your servers love you when you eat out at Ruth's Chris Steakhouse at home and your child gets a burger and you "do the right thing" and tip based on the prices as if he had ordered the escargot, surf and turf, and flaming dessert. After all, he was in a seat and dirtied a dish. Just saying....

Regardless of what a person eats, they are still served. Plates are delivered and removed, and clean up is required. No difference between a plate with a burger on it, or a plate with a $50 steak. But, using your analogy, you actually would come out ahead since on a cruise ship the tip is based on service, not the value of the meal. Your argument is baseless. "Just saying....."

I also see a difference in what one deserves for preparing/serving a kids' meal and a 5 course dinner. You are obviously not a cook/server if you cannot see the distinction.

So, with the cook in the kitchen, which is often on another level and totally out of sight of the dining room, how is he to know the age of the person he is preparing food for? There is no way he can know that - nor should he care unless specific requests have been made. Your argument is baseless. "Just saying...."

I don't know where you are from, but at every restaurant I eat on on land, I tip based on the TOTAL amount of the bill, not on the age of the diners. Where do you get the idea the tip is based on age???????? :confused:

"Just saying....."

Absolutely my point...again!

So we agree. At 20% tip, a $10 child's meal should require $2 tip vs a $60 3 course adult meal would expect to pay $12 in tip.

$2 vs $12 .....Not the same!

If you look back, I never said children should pay no DSC. I suggested it be made progressive based on age which I still think would be a reasonable compromise.

Absolutely my point...again!

So we agree. At 20% tip, a $10 child's meal should require $2 tip vs a $60 3 course adult meal would expect to pay $12 in tip.

$2 vs $12 .....Not the same!

If you look back, I never said children should pay no DSC. I suggested it be made progressive based on age which I still think would be a reasonable compromise.

Re read my post. I edited it to answer your statement, which I quite honestly, had misunderstood.

Regardless of what a person eats, they are still served. Plates are delivered and removed, and clean up is required. No difference between a plate with a burger on it, or a plate with a $50 steak. But, using your analogy, you actually would come out ahead since on a cruise ship the tip is based on service, not the value of the meal. Your argument is baseless. "Just saying....."

So, with the cook in the kitchen, which is often on another level and totally out of sight of the dining room, how is he to know the age of the person he is preparing food for? There is no way he can know that - nor should he care unless specific requests have been made. Your argument is baseless. "Just saying...."

Wow, so you actually do tip the same in land based restaurants if you get a burger or a $50 steak because they both are on a plate??????

Well, good for you that you can be that generous. Everyone I know bases tips on the final bill not how many plates had to be washed. And they all tip less for a burger than a filet mignon.

So we will just have to agree to disagree here since neither of us seem to be understanding the logic of the other's thought process.

But rest assured that I will continue to tip according to cruiseline guidelines as I have always done; so you needn't lose any sleep over our difference of opinion as to whether full DSC assessments for toddlers are actually justified.

Observed collectively, virtually all the posts questioning the imposition of service charges, whether raising age issues, number of family members travelling together, home-country customs, wanting staff to be paid a "decent" basic salary --have one thing in common: they emit the scent of cheapskates.

No one can seriously claim ignorance of the lines' policies, nor has anyone an inherent right to do business with a cruise line while taking a moralistic stance against that line's business model.

Please, either follow suggested (or required) "tipping" guidelines, or evade payment the best you can: but, please stop trying to justify yourself.

Observed collectively, virtually all the posts questioning the imposition of service charges, whether raising age issues, number of family members travelling together, home-country customs, wanting staff to be paid a "decent" basic salary --have one thing in common: they emit the scent of cheapskates.

No one can seriously claim ignorance of the lines' policies, nor has anyone an inherent right to do business with a cruise line while taking a moralistic stance against that line's business model.

Please, either follow suggested (or required) "tipping" guidelines, or evade payment the best you can: but, please stop trying to justify yourself.

I would rather think that I am contributing to what could be a productive discussion of a possible better way to assess the DSC for children as had been done in the past as per someone in an earlier post. Obviously people should follow the guidelines if they are to cruise. We always paid all tips and my children are long beyond the age where my suggestion would apply to them; yet I feel it is something that could be handled better by the cruise lines, hence my posting here. After all, this is Cruise Critic not Cruise Supporter. If nobody is allowed to discuss areas where they feel the cruise lines could improve, what is the point of this forum. One does not have to claim ignorance of a policy to feel it could be improved upon. Unfortunately, some posters here have the only opinion that matters....the cruise line is always right.... any dissenters stay away!

The Celebrity brochure says it is a discretionary service charge. The ability to pay as you wish is yours.

Here we go again. DO YOU UNDERSTAND that you have to account for WHY you opted out of the auto tips?? The front desk WILL ASK WHY you found the service unsatisfactory, why you didn't say anything to address the issue when you found the problem so it could have been corrected and WHICH person you found unsatisfactory.

Then your name/cabin # goes on the list of "removed" auto tips. So anything you give in cash to most who you encounter providing you service have to account for WHY YOU removed the auto tips??? Doesn't matter that you just wanted to pay in cash to individuals. THAT IS NOT the way it works on most US based cruise lines.

You are from the UK. Have you checked to see if your tips are NOT included in the fare (kind of like the UK service charge that just AUTOMATICALLY gets added to the bill)?

Wow, so you actually do tip the same in land based restaurants if you get a burger or a $50 steak because they both are on a plate??????

Well, good for you that you can be that generous. Everyone I know bases tips on the final bill not how many plates had to be washed. And they all tip less for a burger than a filet mignon.

Nope. But bravo on your success at lowering this discussion into sarcasm.

So we will just have to agree to disagree here since neither of us seem to be understanding the logic of the other's thought process.

But rest assured that I will continue to tip according to cruiseline guidelines as I have always done; so you needn't lose any sleep over our difference of opinion as to whether full DSC assessments for toddlers are actually justified.

Apparently I have said things that either have been taken out of context, or worse, weren't worded well, which is entirely my error. I'm recovering from surgery and should have kept my nose out of this discussion as long as I was still a bit "medicated" - nothing good can come from a brain not operating on full power. :D

My position is simple. On a land based restaurant, I tip according to the total cost of the dinner bill, and not based on the amount of people dining or their ages, which you seem to think I said I do. That is the custom where I come from. But, on a cruise ship, I pre-pay the tip, gratuity, service charge, whatever you want to call it, for each person in my stateroom, as is the custom when cruising. I have no conflict with the process as it now stands in either case.

I also tried to convey the idea that on a cruise ship we actually tip less than on a land based restaurant since the total tip is a set amount per person per day, regardless of whether a person orders a burger or a steak for dinner. Apparently that idea has been twisted into something I did not intend it to be.

If that is not what you thought I said, then that is a regrettable error either on the way I worded my comment, or an error on the way you understood it. Either way, I am comfortable following the customs in place when either in a land based restaurant or on a cruise ship, and tip in the customary way.

Sorry for any confusion - either caused by what I said, or caused by what you misunderstood :rolleyes:

The cruiselines acknowledge that 3rd and 4th people require less effort???? Where did that idea come from????

Normal cabin occupancy is 2. Revenue projections are generally based on that premise. 3rd and 4th passengers, be they adults or children are a BONUS to the cruise line. Video games, extra ice cream, extra sodas for kids, extra booze, gambling and shopping for adults all bring in extra money to COMPENSATE for the reduced 3/4 person fares. Has ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to do with the service charges/tips.

Are you REALLY trying to say that making 3-4 beds and cleaning up for 3-4 people is actually EASIER than for 2 people??? And some of those beds have to be put up in the ceiling in the daytime and taken down at night, which is kind of like having to make the top bunk in a set of bunk beds day in and day out, TWICE a day. And what about those cabins that bring in extra beds for 3/4 people? In and out-fold up/take down? You are saying that is LESS work for the steward???

And believe me, some kids make a HUGE mess. When we cruise X, we normally somehow someway find a way to get one of the FV aft cabins (FAMILY rooms that sleep 5). We have found crackers under and in the sofas, gum stuck under the tables, some kind of glue stuff on the balcony door that the steward told us he had tried his best to get off but they were going to have to replace the sliding part of the door and were waiting for a replacement. I find it hard to believe those were adults, considering those cabins are generally kept away from everyone and are for FAMILIES except for repo cruises and longer cruises of two weeks or more (which is what we do and on Infinity, it had just come from a cruising season in the Caribbean, so lots of families and kids on one week cruises).

Why you think the service charges/auto tips, whatever you want to call them should be reduced for kids is beyond my comprehension!!! Kids take ever bit as much time and work as 2 adults. Your laundry example is just that-an example of WHY kids take as much as adults. SOMEONE has to wash those extra towels and sheets. And part of those service charges/tips go to the behind the scenes people you NEVER see-those who are washing the extra dishes, washing and folding those extra towels and sheets and those who are cleaning the crap off the floor and other places when the kids just carelessly dump their punch/soda on the floor or make a HUGE mess in the video arcade. DH loves the car driving machines. There was so much CRAP in there from the KIDS (90% is kids using the video arcade), he walked out in disgust last year. Spilled soda, half eaten pizza, hamburgers spread into individual pieces LAYING on the machines.

Maybe your kids are perfect and you follow them around and clean up after them. But not MOST parents.

You are way off base IMHO.

Maybe your kids are perfect and you follow them around and clean up after them.

Something tells me this isn't the case here. Usually, parents with entitlement attitudes raise kids who feel they are even more entitled making them worse than a normal kid, with parents who think their spoiled kids can do no wrong and are perfect.

Here we go again. DO YOU UNDERSTAND that you have to account for WHY you opted out of the auto tips?? The front desk WILL ASK WHY you found the service unsatisfactory, why you didn't say anything to address the issue when you found the problem so it could have been corrected and WHICH person you found unsatisfactory.

Then your name/cabin # goes on the list of "removed" auto tips. So anything you give in cash to most who you encounter providing you service have to account for WHY YOU removed the auto tips??? Doesn't matter that you just wanted to pay in cash to individuals. THAT IS NOT the way it works on most US based cruise lines.

You are from the UK. Have you checked to see if your tips are NOT included in the fare (kind of like the UK service charge that just AUTOMATICALLY gets added to the bill)?

Yes I do understand.

And when asked I could reply that I am using my discretion to remove the discretionary service charge.

Also, that there is nothing wrong with the service.

You are implying that this conversation occurs at post service. It could. However it could be on the first day. No staff member would be in any way criticised.

Assuming you understand the word discretionary it is the way it can work on US based cruise lines if the brochure says the charge is discretionary.

On all of my UK bookings there has been an option to pay the discretionary charges in advance. It is only included if you request it to be.

My thoughts on this thread have never been about what I would or have done. Nor what I recommend others do.

What I have supported is the view that those who do not prepay, remove the DSC (at least on Celebrity, other lines may differ, MSC I believe is mandatory) are probably using a valid choice offered by many cruise lines.

Anything given to the staff is their choice.

Cruise lines write the brochures, and would insist you follow their written terms. I think we should.

Using your logic if I go to my hidden gem local steak place and get a $16 filet, I should tip more than if I go to my favorite burger place in the world where a burger runs $22?

the amount per day is between 10-15(at most). so you are talking about 5-7.50 split evenly between the room cleaning staff(and those who are tipped out who help them)and the food service people(also those who are tipped out as well) at all venues including the main dining room, buffet, extra charge restaurants and on Princess at least, the room food delivery service. If you eat on land side with your kid for three meals(except for McDonalds) you probably would pay the same or close to it.

BTW when you get a coupon for a free meal on land you should tip for the free meal as if you paid for it. When I get two for one drinks I always tip as if I paid for two.

Yes you have the power to remove the auto-tip, DSC, hotel charge or whatever the cruise line calls it(except at least on Celebrity if you chose their version of anytime dining where its mandatory) but that doesn't make it right. Many countries have strong traditions. The Queen is a tradition that some people like and some people don't. Traditions like wearing the proper clothes for dinner is among the traditions on cruise ships as is proper tipping. Both Princess and NCL report that 40% of the people who remove the auto-tip/DSC to leave cash leave less than the suggested amount even when they have no service related complaint.

Taking the Auto-tip off and leaving cash just makes it harder for the crew. they are REQUIRED to turn it all in on pain of firing and shunning. Does it do something for you to have them grovel when you give them cash?

Those that say it should be in the fare's logic eludes me. There is no intellectual difference between an auto-tip and having it included in the fare...except that logic and economic facts would indicate that if its in the fare it would cost YOU more(overhead, profit, taxes, possibly commission would also dictate that to get the same 1 dollar, pound, euro to the ship from the home office would cost you more) and as I pointed out those cruise lines that include it generally charge much more for the privilege-not always of course. If it was included in the fare how would you deal with really poor service? get some of the fare back?

In the end its your own idea of morality and right and wrong. Yes you have the power to remove it but as I have said before you have the power to pick your nose too and that doesn't make it right.

BTW if you want to reward those that serve you without taking the auto-tip off there are at least two ways...write a note to there cruise line/supervisor- that's how they are rewarded with promotions and sometimes even time off...or give them extra cash to reward extraordinary service...

but for the most part the cheap people won't do either and will still justify tipping less for Johnny or Jane because their little darling is less work or some other lame excuse( I only ate at the buffet or I didn't let them in to clean my room)

BTW I am not angry at any one...but disappointed because what you do with posts that say yes you can take it off is give solace and comfort to those who both want to take it off and leave less...something I refuse to do. If you want to take it off you will get my opinion on doing so and what the consequences are...even if you feel I am lecturing you...

Hello, new to this thread.

I run a Conference Center and we do a lot of the same things that cruise ships do. We provide lodging, meals, entertainment, and we clean up after our guests.

My staff RARELY receives tips. Why? The center is owned and operated by a religious organization and tipping is not expected. The only reason that we get tips sometimes is, IMHO, we give EXCELLENT service.

I have also worked as a bus-boy and a waiter at an upscale restaurant at a casino so I have seen tipping from that view point.

Here is why people have such a hard time with this. Of course we want to see those who are serving us well compensated. I especially think about this due to my experiences. However, a tip or gratuity - CAN NOT BE MANDATED! To do so makes this a fee. So, when paying this "service fee" don't even think of it as tip money or a gratuity, it is not. It is an OPTIONAL fee that anyone can opt out of. If you should choose to do so, it is your decision and NO ONE should really have a comment on it as it is strictly your business.

Having said that, the service fee that is added is not a bad way to go about this. The lines could just add it into the price, but doing it this way could be advantageous to them in several ways. First it allows them to show a lower price for a cruise, therefore making it more attractive to a potential customer.

Second, it allows them to make some passengers more comfortable during a cruise knowing that gratuities are taken care of. Third it allows them to offer a higher guaranteed income to their employees. Fourth, although I am not sure due to the various countries involved, there are likely legal advantages to doing it this way.

Although I agree that it is irritating to have someone mandate how we express our gratitude for good service, this system is not bad.

So - I will pay the fee, and I will tip extra on board for good service. Simple as that...

I agree with "Navybankerteacher". I have read many of these tipping threads and, in the end, it's my opinion the NBT is absolutely right. Well said!!

It is an OPTIONAL fee that anyone can opt out of. If you should choose to do so, it is your decision and NO ONE should really have a comment on it as it is strictly your business

Theoretically, that may be true. However, when you post your plans in public, for more than 800,000 people to see, I think you lose the right to consider it "strictly your business".

People who are perceived as "cheap" are going to hear from the people who object to them being "cheap".

Let's face it, people who are honestly concerned with thanking their crew leave the auto tips in place and tip extra if they feel it's warranted. People who are only concerned with making themselves feel/look good (the "I feel it's more personal" crowd) will remove the tips and make a big show out of handing them out in person, fully expecting bowing and scraping from the crew to show their gratitude. These folks don't care about the behind the scenes crew who get stiffed because they won't get to see their bowing and scraping.

Finally, there are the folks who just remove tips completely. I hope there's a special place in Hell for these people. These people should never be allowed to cruise, eat in a restaurant or avail themselves of any service that traditionally relies on tipping. Their oh, so lofty moral compass tells them that an employer should pay a living wage and that it's not their responsibility to make up that wage. While that's a fine ideal, it's not how it works in the real world. Bottom line, their morals are really not that high, they're just cheap. Otherwise, they'd be sailing on one of the more costly lines where tipping is unnecessary and people are paid according to the cheapskate's lofty moral code.

However, a tip or gratuity - CAN NOT BE MANDATED! To do so makes this a fee. So, when paying this "service fee" don't even think of it as tip money or a gratuity, it is not. It is an OPTIONAL fee that anyone can opt out of. If you should choose to do so, it is your decision and NO ONE should really have a comment on it as it is strictly your business.

You sound very young and that you are new to cruising??

NCL does call it a service fee .. and it is not that easy to opt out of. In fact a UK TA I use, we now have to click to agree to this charge to even book NCL now thru him .. because its NOT OPTIONAL and cannot be removed, unless you go and convince them your service is bad, and its my understanding you can only partially remove this SERVICE CHARGE.

I think tipping threads irk a lot of us because if someone is talking about opting out .. we know they are CHEAP. My Dad is a cheap tipper and I've always been embarrased by how much he tips. Now I tip for him if we are together.

This is the most laughable part of your argument. Do you realize that the average wage for a hotel maid in the Philippines is $125 PER MONTH? Lots of Filipinos working on cruise ships. The average wage for the same position for Eastern Europeans is about $180 PER MONTH. The average wage in India for the same type of work is $110 PER MONTH. And don't forget, those wages DO NOT include food and a roof over your head. What cruise ship employees get for base salary is just about what the AVERAGE wage is in their country for the same position. Do you know airline pilots in Mexico make just slightly more than your average US admin (secretary)? About $35,000 per year.

What you an the rest of AMERICA fail to see is that some airline pilots here in the GOOD OLE, USA get paid FAR LESS than that.

I don't want to hear anything about poor Mexico.

I am an airline captain, my first year at my passenger airline, I made $17,322 (2007).

You sound very young and that you are new to cruising??

NCL does call it a service fee .. and it is not that easy to opt out of. In fact a UK TA I use, we now have to click to agree to this charge to even book NCL now thru him .. because its NOT OPTIONAL and cannot be removed, unless you go and convince them your service is bad, and its my understanding you can only partially remove this SERVICE CHARGE.

I think tipping threads irk a lot of us because if someone is talking about opting out .. we know they are CHEAP. My Dad is a cheap tipper and I've always been embarrased by how much he tips. Now I tip for him if we are together.

Your absolutely right! This is my first cruise and I am 60 years young! :D

I did a little research and you are correct. The fee is NOT that easy to waive.

Although I understand their policy and will go with it, it is somewhat irksome. They should just raise their cost for their cruises, raise the salaries of their crew, and encourage passengers to tip.

Anyway, my sympathies are with the crew. I understand how hard back-of-the-house can be.

Archived