opting out of auto tipping?

Antique1900

i have tried to book this cruise cheaper through an overseas agent/s and it is the same price.the price quoted on all occassions does 'not' include gratuities,however the onboard credit does vary a little from agent to agent.

and yes my wife and i look forward to the formal nights etc onboard,and we have traveled extensively around the world by ship / train / plane /car / bus,and yes we do follow the country that we are in's local or national customs.

a question,

i believe you are from the u.s.a,why then do people who settle in your country (and ours and others as well) from all over the world, do not follow american customs,but in a percentage of cases stick to their own (whether good or bad) customs yet they live in another country.

we have loved and adored 'all' of the countries we have ever been in (including the u.s.a been there 6 times and have tipped).

i see you are coming to the best country on the planet next year,all i can say is you will enjoy,and if you don't tip, thats fine.we don't need tips to make ends meet.

this is my only reply ,as i have other things to do

take care

i have tried to book this cruise cheaper through an overseas agent/s and it is the same price.the price quoted on all occassions does 'not' include gratuities,however the onboard credit does vary a little from agent to agent.

and yes my wife and i look forward to the formal nights etc onboard,and we have traveled extensively around the world by ship / train / plane /car / bus,and yes we do follow the country that we are in's local or national customs.

a question,

i believe you are from the u.s.a,why then do people who settle in your country (and ours and others as well) from all over the world, do not follow american customs,but in a percentage of cases stick to their own (whether good or bad) customs yet they live in another country.

we have loved and adored 'all' of the countries we have ever been in (including the u.s.a been there 6 times and have tipped).

i see you are coming to the best country on the planet next year,all i can say is you will enjoy,and if you don't tip, thats fine.we don't need tips to make ends meet.

this is my only reply ,as i have other things to do

take care

US tends to assimilate all that come here and the people more often than not adopt the customs of the US, sometimes tempered by those who come here. I live in NY City where I was born. NY more than most places tolerates and accepts people from everywhere(a lot more than they do in your country I am told) and we mostly(except on TV) live pretty peacefully.

As an example I was on the NCL Gem last week. I park my car on the street and the person who runs the corner store( a small deli- sometimes called a bodega) moved and watched my car...oh BTW I am of jewish extraction(my father was born in Germany and my mom in Poland) and the guy who watched my car(and wouldn't take any money for it) is a Palestinian...

You didn't answer why tipping is so anathema.

and I can't stand formal nights.

I continue to pray that we'll NEVER sail on the same ship.

US tends to assimilate all that come here and the people more often than not adopt the customs of the US, sometimes tempered by those who come here. I live in NY City where I was born. NY more than most places tolerates and accepts people from everywhere(a lot more than they do in your country I am told) and we mostly(except on TV) live pretty peacefully.

As an example I was on the NCL Gem last week. I park my car on the street and the person who runs the corner store( a small deli- sometimes called a bodega) moved and watched my car...oh BTW I am of jewish extraction(my father was born in Germany and my mom in Poland) and the guy who watched my car(and wouldn't take any money for it) is a Palestinian...

You didn't answer why tipping is so anathema.

and I can't stand formal nights.

Hi Nod - yep... understand completely - will not pay auto / pre / whatever tipping/gratuity

Will remove any money taken by a cruise line for tips - then tip at my leisure and my opinion - thats what its all about...

On our last cruise - tipped 4 times during the cruise - cash - to waiters and waitresses that were special either in service or aura

On departing our cabin, left an envelope with room stewards name on front, on the bedside table

Thats how it is - thats how its always been - easy as - no agro - down to earth

No tipping for bad service - incompetent people - reality check - no sheep herding because everyone else does...

~~Iru~~

Hi Nod - yep... understand completely - will not pay auto / pre / whatever tipping/gratuity

Will remove any money taken by a cruise line for tips - then tip at my leisure and my opinion - thats what its all about...

On our last cruise - tipped 4 times during the cruise - cash - to waiters and waitresses that were special either in service or aura

On departing our cabin, left an envelope with room stewards name on front, on the bedside table

No tipping for bad service - incompetent people - reality check - no sheep herding because everyone else does...

~~Iru~~

So in other words, you mostly stiffed the wait staff who served you for your entire cruise and got paid pretty much nothing for their effort? Just because you think the way things are done on cruise ships is wrong, does not make stiffing the staff right. :( While most of us feel that the cruise ships should pay their staff a living wage, the reality is that at the present time they do not. So by withholding tips, you are not making a political point that will influence the cruise ship management, you are just being cheap and spiteful. No one is saying to tip for inferior or bad service, but tipping is expected for adequate service. It sounds like you only tipped for those that went above and beyond. In real world jobs the adequate get paid a salary, and the exceptional get the bonuses. You only paid bonuses and shafted those who did their job but did not exceed.

~~Iru~~

If someone needed an example of "cheap", this is it.

Bottom Line:

The cost of cruising -- cruise cost + port charges + taxes + service charge (Tips) + onboard purchases + shore excursions + alternative restaurants.

Pay it, or stay home! Leave service charges in place (baseline) and tip extra if you feel the need. All others are amateurs and cheap bas****s.

So, how do I really feel?:D

Kel:)

I stand by my original statement!

~~Iru~~

"... my leisure and my opinion - thats what its all about..." another arrogant cheapskate heard from.

Tipping threads always amaze me. Bottom line -- I think tipping is a very personal issue. It's none of my business how (or how much) other people tip -- any more than it's my business how much they paid for their cruise. :rolleyes:

I'll admit that I have learned a lot from reading tipping threads -- such as the different tipping customs in different countries. I also learned how the auto-tips and extra cash system works on ships that require auto tips. That was very helpful for our first Celebrity Cruise (mandatory auto-tip), as we were used to the "cash-envelope" system, still offered as an option by RC. Personally, I'm perfectly OK with either system. :cool:

What really never ceases to amaze me is how many people will suffer with bad service for the whole cruise, thinking that a bad comment card or withheld tip is their only option. For goodness sakes -- this is your vacation -- why be miserable for the whole cruise? :eek: If you're not receiving the service you expected, speak up -- talk to the crew member directly, or go to their supervisor or guest relations. Worst case scenario, document everything (names/dates/etc) and write a letter to corporate headquarters, when you get home. But, for goodness sakes -- don't suffer in silence, thinking "well, at least they're not getting a tip out of me". ;)

~~Iru~~

I once had a brother-in-law who had the same opinions and attitude. Not only was he cheap, he was rude to service people, whether they were wait staff, taxi drivers, maids, it didn't matter. He would rarely acknowledge them unless he needed something from them. If he tipped at all, it would be much less than the customary amount. He was obnoxious in social situations, and very self centered when it benefited him the most. My sister finally saw the error of her ways and divorced the lout, thankfully removing him from our lives.

~~Iru~~

I don't understand why people pick a cruise line that has practices and/or processes they don't believe in and then want to change them and do what they want anyway. Why not save yourself the trouble and pick a cruise line (there are so many out there) that do follow practices/processes that you approve of. For example if you don't like tipping, pick a line that doesn't require it, such as Regent or Azamara. Otherwise you are just punishing the crew who depend on their tips to support their families and when they signed on agreed with their employer's policies/process that they get paid a small salary with the rest made up in tips.

As someone earlier said, if you were to get poor service, then speak to a supervisor to get it fixed. Not tipping only tells the crew member that you are cheap and doesn't teach them a lesson, if that is what you were trying to do.

This was on an Australian based ship with 99 pc Australians on board - P n O have a no tipping rule - because people, yes, same as me, jacked up about it - wanting an autonomous tipping - which I heard works beautifully - as it has always done previous to the implementation of forced tipping - that didn't last long - not with Aussies.

People I spoke to on my cruise apparently tipped both their room steward and their waiter at their table in personal envelopes and others they befriended, cash in hand, as we had done

This is how it's done - all my cruises have been on Australian based ships bar 2 short cruises overseas - and can't remember any issues of tipping - the same applied there

I did not eat in a dining room on my last cruise - opted for buffet and steaks, an optional - had no particular waiter

Did tip the buffet waitress that we befriended = same as drink waitress for my lovely iced coffees - I do not drink alcohol

Where did I read on CC about a family that had been on four cruises and the most their account to was 23 dollars or similar - why don't you look that up and challenge that?

You really need to become autonomous - and a few Aussies come on board here to describe an Australian cruise style

Laid back and friendly - really - a lot of people just do not have any idea

There is a huge difference - thankfully....

Do your auto tipping your way - and let others do theirs

The way people speak to each other here - 'stress less princess' - where are the moderators on this site - bullying tactics and put downs - some manners please....

I do not argue on internet sites - and any inference to cheapskates is rude and downright should be removed - as many other replies should have been when people have a right to their opinion.... thank my lucky stars I live where I live ... appears what most people say is true...loud et al for sure

I support autonomous thinking in all ways and of course this is my opinion and in no way I speak for another

As they say - and as most of us detest - Have A Nice Day

~~Iru~~

LOL No I do not want to stiff them. I would like to tip as I go along as I believe if the service is not up to standard then they do not deserve my tip, also if they are exceptional they deserve extra. Also my son who is 13 is travelling with me, I do not agree to the cruise liner charging a 13 yr old a daily fee for service (at the end of the day he's only a child) but hey that's just my opinion. Bearing in mind this my first ever cruise and I just want to enjoy it and not be stiffed myself :rolleyes:

They still have to make a 13 yr olds bed, etc. If you can pay for the cruise, you can tip for everyone in your party.

I don't know about the rest of you reading this thread but I hope and pray I'm not seated at dinner between these two people trying to prove their respective points concerning the subject of auto-tipping. They are so concerned with trying to prove their respective points that I envision they would miss out on the sights and sounds of the cruise. Lighten up guys......remember why you booked the cruise. It should have had nothing to do with the subject of tipping. Get a life!

You wouldn't have to worry about it if I were at your table, because I won't sit with rude people, and anyone not willing to tip is, in my opinion, very rude indeed. I'd be changing tables.

Since Royal Caribbean doesn't require prepaid tipping, and in fact is the last US mass market cruise line to use the "cash in envelope" tipping method, why were your tips prepaid to begin with? They only require prepaid tips if you select anytime dining, but since you say you don't eat in the dining room anyway what difference does it make? You ended up doing what is done on Royal Caribbean anyway...you tipped your room steward and wait staff (in your case the buffet staff apparently) in cash. That's what I don't understand what you think you're accomplishing. You're tipping in cash on a cruise line where the default customary tipping procedure is cash. It's not like NCL or Carnival or other lines that automatically add the tips/service charge to your on board account.

And by the way, Royal Caribbeans tipping FAQ http://www.royalcaribbean.com/customersupport/faq/details.do?pagename=frequently_asked_questions&pnav=5&pnav=2&faqSubjectName=Gratuities&faqId=263&faqSubjectId=415&faqType=faq includes the following statement: "Notice to guests: Gratuities may be shared with other crew members depending on the particular service requirement" which means that certain tips are pooled, whether you like it or not.

You're trumpeting about doing something that is standard procedure on that cruise line anyway, as if somehow you think you've circumvented their system.

We selected "mytime dining" but didn't use it because of the issues I mentioned with the noise and the tables for 2 really being tables for 6 with less than 6 inches between them.

Figured we could order room service as we had on prior RCCL cruises, but now that has changed and there are no longer dinner entrees on room service.

Looked forward to the buffet after the noise in the dining room because we were able to order a steak, chicken, or fish and have it grilled while we watched and served HOT on other RCCL cruises. Unfortunately, that was gone too.

Ended up with alot of sandwiches from Cafe Promenade. Kept wishing they offered soup & salad combos for a change of pace.

I find these people who want to keep insisting there way is the right way. Everyone has free speech and free right to tip. What is the problem? Good service = Good Tip;) Don't understand why this entire message board acts like this?

Exactly!!! Majority of our cruises have had good food and good service, which resulted in excellent tips.

Unfortunately, we hit a so/so Carnival Freedom cruise in early January and a horrible Explorer of the Seas cruise in late February. In retrospect, the Carnival cruise wasn't so bad after all. We did have a fantastic Bermuda cruise last Fall on NCL Dawn.

Not ready to book another cruise for awhile. Getting ready for Vegas and Zion National Park next.

Maybe next Fall Bermuda will be back on our minds again and we can look for another NCL cruise.

• 6 months later...

I am a little disappointed that a large number of answers on the tipping subject would appear to be coming from those with motivated by self interest ie., crew members etc.

As an ex waiter, my tips frequently were 3 to 4 times my wages and I received a fair wage. The slant that US crews are poorly paid therefore have the right to be tipped regardless of quality of service just does not hold water. In fact that 'it is my right to be tipped' encourages the lazy and less competent, ultimately goes against the interests of those who do work hard for their clients.

Also this rubbish about the behind the scenes staff is a sob story. As a waiter I always shared my tips generously, otherwise I would not have got their support.

Auto tipping is generally supported by the lazy, the true professional will gamble on the knowledge that if he provides his best service he will get the best tips.

So here is a free TIP; NO AUTO TIPPING; DO NOT TIP FOR POOR SERVICE; TIP WELL FOR GOOD SERVICE; DO NOT WAIT TILL THE END OF THE TRIP TIP IMMEDIATELY WHEN THE SERVICE IS PROVIDED AND DIRECTLY TO THE PROVIDER; TOP UP AT THE END IF YOU HAVE HAD A GOOD TIME!!!!!!

If your cruise was disappointing, tell cruise critic. happy cruising

I am a little disappointed that a large number of answers on the tipping subject would appear to be coming from those with motivated by self interest ie., crew members etc.

As an ex waiter, my tips frequently were 3 to 4 times my wages and I received a fair wage. The slant that US crews are poorly paid therefore have the right to be tipped regardless of quality of service just does not hold water. In fact that 'it is my right to be tipped' encourages the lazy and less competent, ultimately goes against the interests of those who do work hard for their clients.

Also this rubbish about the behind the scenes staff is a sob story. As a waiter I always shared my tips generously, otherwise I would not have got their support.

Auto tipping is generally supported by the lazy, the true professional will gamble on the knowledge that if he provides his best service he will get the best tips.

So here is a free TIP; NO AUTO TIPPING; DO NOT TIP FOR POOR SERVICE; TIP WELL FOR GOOD SERVICE; DO NOT WAIT TILL THE END OF THE TRIP TIP IMMEDIATELY WHEN THE SERVICE IS PROVIDED AND DIRECTLY TO THE PROVIDER; TOP UP AT THE END IF YOU HAVE HAD A GOOD TIME!!!!!!

You worked on a cruiseship?

So how about a suggestion on amounts you would tip keeping in mind there is no bill to decide what 10 or 20% is

breakfast for 2

lunch for 2

Dinner for 2

So how about a suggestion on amounts you would tip keeping in mind there is no bill to decide what 10 or 20% is

breakfast for 2

lunch for 2

Dinner for 2

I wonder if he meant he worked on a cruiseship or in a restaurant-he did not make that clear and I feel there are different rules for each.

Our neighbor is a Jamaican born naturalized US citizen. He worked on cruiseships until 2002 I think he said but he did it for almost 20 years. He worked for HAL, Royal Caribbean, and NCL, plus a small European line I forget the name of. He started out as a bartender and worked up to head wine steward, and was also the beverage manager on the small European line where he was considered an officer and not crew.

He told me yes he made good money, but he worked long hours with no days off until his contract ended. Then he would go home for 2 or 3 months and then start another contract and work 6 to 8 months until he had another 2 to 3 months off between contracts.

His biggest gripe was he missed his family, and as he got older and into his forties, he found the long hours were on harder on him. That is why he left the cruise industry. I agree-so what if they make good money, they work hard and they sacrifice a lot to make that income. I know I would not want my husband gone for 6 or 8 months at a time without seeing him.

Archived