The Fifth Estate - "The Wreck of the Costa Concordia"

Cupcrazy

This Friday, February 3rd, at 9pm ET CBC's news magazine show The Fifth Estate will be airing its show entitled "The Wreck of the Costa Concordia".

Their website says: A minute-by-minute reconstruction of the Italian cruise ship disaster, with first-hand accounts from the survivors and the rescuers, along with the stories of those who perished.

I trust this show will be better than ABC's 20/20 a couple weeks ago. CBC has waited a couple weeks to get more information than ABC did.

Preview Video

It is a CBC, national news and information show from Canada. Some of the Canadian passengers have been interviewed for this show which airs tomorrow night (Friday) on CBC channels or it will be available on the CBC website after it airs. My husband and I were interviewed.

qtlikeme[/size];32254577]It is a CBC, national news and information show from Canada. Some of the Canadian passengers have been interviewed for this show which airs tomorrow night (Friday) on CBC channels or it will be available on the CBC website after it airs. My husband and I were interviewed.

welcome home (amen)...no idea if u shared all your accounts, but can please share what are all your thoughts-feelings about this whole thing - how are you still affected?

It will be available online for Canadian viewers only.

Darn! :(

Cupcrazy, I hope you don't mind but I took your post to my northern friends on this thread.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1422666

It's a nice place to visit, very welcoming to new posters from Canada. They're so friendly they even let a few of us from "south of the border" come and visit with them. ;):D

qtlikeme,

I can't imagine what you went through and I hope I never have to encounter it. I am so sorry that some passengers, including two from the US didn't make it. It makes me think more about safety on ships and how we have to look out for ourselves.

It will be available online for Canadian viewers only.

I am a bit confused. I live in the USA and was able to see the preview. If someone posts the site as was done for the preview, would we not be able to see it? I would like to see it if possible. As you can tell, I don't know a lot about Canadian TV vs American TV and what we can see or not see.

qtlikeme,

I can't imagine what you went through and I hope I never have to encounter it. I am so sorry that some passengers, including two from the US didn't make it. It makes me think more about safety on ships and how we have to look out for ourselves.

I am a bit confused. I live in the USA and was able to see the preview. If someone posts the site as was done for the preview, would we not be able to see it? I would like to see it if possible. As you can tell, I don't know a lot about Canadian TV vs American TV and what we can see or not see.

Just quoting what it says on the preview.

Note: This video is only available to view online by Canadian audiences due to rights issues

Will have to see what Friday brings but I know when links have been posted in the past to some of the Discovery channel shows, those in Canada could not see them. The website will be able to tell from your IP address, where you are actually located and block your access if it is against their broadcasting rules.

I am watching the Fifth Estate now.

This is a very good report, with lots of interviews and footage I've never seen before.

Me too.

That Captain is toast. 1 hour 16 minutes from hit to Captain Criminal giving order to abandon ship.

I am watching the Fifth Estate now.

This is a very good report, with lots of interviews and footage I've never seen before.

Me too.

That Captain is toast. 1 hour 16 minutes from hit to Captain Criminal giving order to abandon ship.

The following is suppose to be one of the big stories of tonight's show.

http://ca.news.yahoo.com/concordia-passengers-experts-dissect-cruise-ship-disaster-080213433.html

What basis of verification did they have? Did you find it credible?

I just finished watching the show. They followed the story of 3 couples 2 from Canada and 1 from New Jersey. They were all interviewed and told their stories of where they were and what they did to get off the ship. The young couple from New Jersey had dinner in the Costa Club at the same time as the captain did that night. The male said he saw the captain having dinner with a young blonde, who turned out to be Domnica Cemortan (the former Costa hostess).

The show also interviewed the deputy mayor of Giglio who, after the first lifeboat reached shore, got on that and went to the ship. He said he boarded and looked for the captain for approx 20 minutes before going to help people. He never found any of the officers. He then along with crew members (waiters, cooks, stewards etc..) coordinated the rest of the evacuation. He didn't get off the ship until dawn.

There was a ton of footage an video I had never seen before. Lots of video from passengers and Italian divers.

In the last minutes of the show talked about the cruise industry as a whole. Talking about how safe cruising actually is.

Here is the website for the fifth estate which has the full episode (only available in Canada). There are a bunch of interviews on the right hand side which are available worldwide. The page also has the timeline of events that night as well as facts and stats

The following is suppose to be one of the big stories of tonight's show.

http://ca.news.yahoo.com/concordia-passengers-experts-dissect-cruise-ship-disaster-080213433.html

What basis of verification did they have? Did you find it credible?

I found the reporting credible. They had interviews with the Coast Guard, the ships doctor (who wasn't ever informed there was a problem), the mayor, and the investigative reporter (Bonini ?) The nicely done part was the interviews with 3 couples who all experienced very different versions of the crisis.

One Canadian couple (experienced cruisers) who when asked to go to their cabin, actually went and got their vests and proceeded to the lifeboats immediately without being told. They got on the lifeboat without incident and actually laughed and joked as they went ashore. They were shocked to find out later that some people had a problem getting off and that some had actually died.

Another Canadian couple went to the lifeboat station but couldn't get on a lifeboat because of the chaos. There was only one space left on a lifeboat and they did not want to separate from each other so they gave the space to someone else. They ended up swimming to shore when they could not find any free lifeboat spaces.

An American couple interviewed waited in their cabin until the abandon ship order was given. They were able to board a lifeboat and get to shore. It was funny because they were in the restaurant the same time as the Captain and his lady friend.

All had nothing but good to say about the rank and file crew but none could remember seeing any officers.

The most damning thing for the Captain was his email a few weeks earlier to another captain saying he could do a closer sail by than any other ships had done.

I just finished watching the show. They followed the story of 3 couples 2 from Canada and 1 from New Jersey. They were all interviewed and told their stories of where they were and what they did to get off the ship. The young couple from New Jersey had dinner in the Costa Club at the same time as the captain did that night. The male said he saw the captain having dinner with a young blonde, who turned out to be Domnica Cemortan (the former Costa hostess).

The show also interviewed the deputy mayor of Giglio who, after the first lifeboat reached shore, got on that and went to the ship. He said he boarded and looked for the captain for approx 20 minutes before going to help people. He never found any of the officers. He then along with crew members (waiters, cooks, stewards etc..) coordinated the rest of the evacuation. He didn't get off the ship until dawn.

There was a ton of footage an video I had never seen before. Lots of video from passengers and Italian divers.

In the last minutes of the show talked about the cruise industry as a whole. Talking about how safe cruising actually is.

Here is the website for the fifth estate which has the full episode (only available in Canada). There are a bunch of interviews on the right hand side which are available worldwide. The page also has the timeline of events that night as well as facts and stats

Thank you for sharing this, it was a good show for sure. Lots of interesting interviews.

So tragic. So senseless.

"An American couple interviewed waited in their cabin until the abandon ship order was given. They were able to board a lifeboat and get to shore. It was funny because they were in the restaurant the same time as the Captain and his lady friend"

In the UK story about the ship the Captain was sat next to one of the English couples who were interviewed for the programme.

Janice Donoff in the UK programme says they left the dining room at 9pm and the Captain was still there.

11:23 p.m. The Concordia reports it has a large tear on its right side.

So was this a gaffe by the programme makers or is there also a hole on the Starboard side ?

"Alan and Laurie Willits, who are watching a magic show in the theatre, are forced out of their seats when the ship suddenly tilts toward the port side. The lights go out and people start leaving the theatre"

The UK programme states that it was 10 minutes after the collision before they lost power!

The timeline talks of Witnesses seeing the Captain on the bridge but no names are given, witnesses also claim to have seen him wrapped in a blanket getting into a lifeboat but again no names or which lifeboat.

Still seems to be more questions than answers.

An American couple interviewed waited in their cabin until the abandon ship order was given.

They were able to board a lifeboat and get to shore. ===> Very lucky!

Last few cruises, I've had a cabin on Deck 2.

IF things look OK, I'd be returning to my cabin to get life jackets

but there ain't no way in hell I'd be waiting obediently Down There for any further instructions!

After me and the wife got our jackets, we're headed for an open deck

hopefully somewhere on the Up side of the listing ship

but not in the cabin, no matter where located.

It was a very good program.

I was surprised to hear that the Captain was 45 minutes late to his own cocktail party. I was also interested to hear how the experience of Laurie and Alan Willits (Ontario) and Laurence and Andrea Davis (Calgary, Alberta). Depending upon which side of the ship and where you were, you had a somewhat different experience.

The program mentioned, that as previously reported the captain was momentarily distracted by others on the bridge and calculated the turn too late. I guess the Captain's email to his colleague made him really culpable.

The deputy Mayor was really an incredible person and a brave man. His own experiences with losing his Mother must have really helped him do what he did. I was stunned when he talked about forgiveness.

Archived