A second man overboard. What's going on?

It is basically an advertisement by a plaintiff's lawyer.

[The same lawyer deceptively identified as a "maritime security expert" on ABC's show on the Concordia.]

Beyond the fact the young man went overboard, it is 100% speculation.

Notice that the article was from Jan 7th - it is a Cruise Law "paper". Not that it was not a tragic incident, regardless. However, I think things are bubbling up in the news given the Concordia incident - news folks are looking for stories. Unfortunately, they will find them.

What I read states that a British man fell off the Allure near Cozumel just a day or so ago. So is this incorrect?

NO, I believe that is correct.

I believe the info on the person in Belize who was from PR and sailing on the Liberty was a year old. The Allure incident near Cozumel seems to be current and true.

People rarely "fall" off of a ship!

They either "jump" or commit some unsafe act, often fueled by alcohol or drugs, such as standing on a balcony rail or sitting on the balcony rail and then, "accidently" fall over.

According to ABC's 20/20 this happens ALL the time.

Since it was reported, did the ship go back and look for him?

Typically, the cruise ship will not make any effort to look for said jumper. The passengers have prebooked excursions and they are on a tight schedule so having a search and rescue effort like that would not be possible. I know in all cases they will notify the local authorities (in this case the Mexican Coast guard)who will begin the process of search and rescue. In today's modern GPS world coordinates can be given to the Coast Guard and they in turn can pin point where to begin looking. It is so sad when passengers with mental health issues feel so desperate they make decisions like this. As mentioned, "falling off a cruise ship" is such a misrepresentation of what actually happens it becomes dishonest to report it in that way. Of course they look for the passenger!

Typically, the cruise ship will not make any effort to look for said jumper. The passengers have prebooked excursions and they are on a tight schedule so having a search and rescue effort like that would not be possible. I know in all cases they will notify the local authorities (in this case the Mexican Coast guard)who will begin the process of search and rescue. In today's modern GPS world coordinates can be given to the Coast Guard and they in turn can pin point where to begin looking. It is so sad when passengers with mental health issues feel so desperate they make decisions like this. As mentioned, "falling off a cruise ship" is such a misrepresentation of what actually happens it becomes dishonest to report it in that way. Of course they look for the passenger!

The ships do look for someone overboard, especially since they had an eyewitness and video evidence of the man going overboard. Allure and Navigator both launched their rescue boats and started searching. Allure did arrive in port late. No idea where you are getting your information.

They absolutely DO go look for someone. I was on the Explorer when a crew member "lowered himself into the water". Once it was discovered we turned around and spent the whole night going back and forth in a grid pattern until the US Coast guard could get there to take over and we started back on our way.

Archived