Alaska Advise Please

maxsmamma

I will ask this on the Alaska board, but I value the experience of my fellow mariners, especially with Ship based excursions.

My husband and I are 40 and celebrating our 10th on board. We love the outdoors, and that is a huge part of visiting Alaska. We are looking forward to cruising and looking for wildlife and scenery from our balcony.

I want to see whales :D or other sea mammals. The highlight of my Mexico cruise was the dolphins that followed us for 15-20 minutes during our day at sea, and the whales we saw breaching from the boat that brought us back from our time at Las Calletes in Puerto.

I wonder if I will see enough on the ship that I should spend an excursion exploring more of the wilderness by bike or canoe. I don't want to miss the beauty of Alaska by spending all my time on the sea. But A whale watching adventure sounds so amazing!

Any tips or favorite excursions on own or with the ship are appreciated!

We did the 2 week Alaska explorer trip last year via Amsterdam in late May,Early June.

You most likely will see whales breaching from the ship at various points and at varying distances.

For a closer view id recommend a tour from either Juneau or Sitka.

Juneau had a tour that included a trip to the mendenhall glacier in the am, then a boat tour of the areas sea life for several hours.

Sitkas tour was better IMO since we saw orcas,sea otters,as well as a few whales, and Sitka was far less crowded with cruise ships. I believe there were 6 other ships in both Ketchican and Juneau on the days we were there. The towns were mobbed with people and tour buses were bulging with passengers.

having said that. The trip is amazing regarding the scenery. Raw,untouched nature. Mountain ranges im sure no man has yet to set foot on. Every day is jaw dropping sites and views from both ship and land. Bald eagles at almost every port.

"take only memories, leave only footprints"

The highlight of my Mexico cruise was the dolphins that followed us for 15-20 minutes during our day at sea, and the whales we saw breaching from the boat that brought us back from our time at Las Calletes in Puerto.

As you are aware this scenario was luck/rare. In Alaska, it will probably be the same... I hear to see whales, you need to be ready to invest early a.m. hours on the lookout with binoculars.

If it is impartant to you to see whales - take a tour that meats that goal. Some (most) out of Juneau have a whale guarantee. Icy Straight is the other whale port.

I've been on two Alaska cruises and seen lots of Whales both times. There is a pod of Killer Whales that tend to stay at the North end of Ketchikan, we saw them both times. We confirmed their territory with a local. And, we saw Humback Whales throughout the cruise. None of them were really close to the ship, but we saw plenty. On both cruises the dining room came to a sudden stop as everyone, servers included, jumped to their feet to see whales breaching near by. We spent a lot of time on deck running back and forth looking for whales, but we were rewarded. We also had one Captain that would make anouncements when he saw whales, so we could all run over to see them too.

If you are looking for a close up whale experience, take one of the whale excursions. You'll have a blast!

Both cruises were at the begining of July.

When we did our Alaska cruise we did a boat tour in Juneau. It was mid July and we came upon 11 hump back whales. They put a microphone in the water and we could hear them plus they came so close to our boat we could reach out and touch them. It is all the luck of the draw and where the whales happen to be.

Wildlife, including whales, was next to nil on both of my Alaskan cruises. I saw the most whales in Hawaii in the spring and on my Pacific NW cruise in late September.

Roz

Seeing whales from the cruise ship can be hit or miss. Even when they are seen from the ship, they may be far off in the distance.

If you want to be sure of seeing whales reasonably close, book a whale watching excursion at Juneau or Icy Strait Point.

At both those locations you have close to 100% likelihood of success on a whale watching excursion, booking either with an independent operator or with the cruise line itself.

At Icy Strait Point there is also a good chance of seeing whales up close right from the cruise ship or the beach, but even there you can't count on always seeing them that way.

My sister and I were in Alaska last September. Without any hesitation, the highlight of our trip was the Helicopter and Glacier walk excursion that we took out of Juneau......... ABSOLUTELY AMAZING. We took the one where you walk on the glacier with a guide for one hour.......... Very expensive but totally worth it......... Book with the cruiseship. This one is not cheaper with an independent operator.

We were in Alaska in September. While we did see a few whales from the ship, we did two whale watching excursions that were phenomenal: bubble net feeding on one. On both excursions whales were coming up right beside and even going underneath the boat. My wife got hit by the spray when one blew right beside the boat.

On our first trip to Alaska in 1995, we saw only whale; and it was rather far away. If seeing whales is something you really want to do, I'd strongly suggest a couple of excursions. Just remember, anytime you're looking for wildlife it is entirely a hit or miss. You may or may not see any.

Best time for viewing whales in Alaska.

Best Time To See Gray Whales: Your best chance to see the Gray whales would be in Ketchikan, Sitka, Kodiak or Seward during the months of April and May. They can be spotted as they move to the far north Alaska waters of the Bering Sea by late April.

Best Time To See Beluga Whales: Beluga whales can be seen along Cook Inlet heading south from Anchorage along what is known as Turnagain Arm in the spring through fall months. They can be viewed year round in in the southern Alaska waters of the Shelikof Strait between Katmai National Park on the Alaska Peninsula and Kodiak Island. There are no known (known to us) dedicated whale watching tour boats operating in the Cook Inlet.

Best Time To See Humpback Whales: During the summer months you will see Humpback whales in the Barren Islands between Homer and Kodiak. June and July are the best months for seeing these enormous whales feeding using bubble-netting. Over 500 whales make Southeast Alaska's Inside Passage their home during the months of summer in the land of the midnight sun.

Best Time To See Blue Whales: Blue whales can best be seen in the northern and eastern portion of the Gulf of Alaska in July and August. They are more likely seen in open water and rarely near the shoreline.

Best Time To See Killer Whales: The best time to see Alaska's resident Orca whale pods are between Early May to early June with whales being spotted during the months of June through September. They can be seen near Seward Alaska in the waters of Resurrection Bay.

You also have a good chance of seeing Minke whales, Pacific white-sided dolphins, Dall's Porpoises or Harbor Porpoises if you visit Alaska between June and early September.

It took me five cruises to finally see whales from the ship! That fifth cruise was my second time to Alaska. I was bound and determined to see whales so signed up for a whale watching excursion in Juneau. It was absolutely unbelievable! One whale came up right beside the catamaran and moved the boat! Scared the dickens out of those of us who were on that side of the boat, including the captain who had to move the boat farther away!

I also saw them from the ship, early in the morning but, as another poster said, they were some distance away.

The third time I went to Alaska, my mother somewhat reluctantly joined me for the whale watching excursion. She thoroughly enjoyed it. It rained quite a bit; I got soaked on the outside deck but she stayed dry in the cabin. However, the whales were putting on a show for us. They kept breaching over and over again. It was fabulous!!

If I were you, I would go for the whale excursion. It is something not to be missed, IMO.

Get off the ship and book excursions, especially for whale watching. While you may get lucky and see a whale or two from the ship, that won't compare to the ones you'll see on an excursion. And, the smaller the group the better.

Our best whalr watch on the inside passage was in Juneau when we took the rainforest, mendenhall glacier and whate watch. The rainforest was fascinating, the mendenall spectacular, and we spotted renegade orcas feeding on seals in an excellent whale watch. This was on the HAL excursion, which I recommend.

My sister and I were in Alaska last September. Without any hesitation, the highlight of our trip was the Helicopter and Glacier walk excursion that we took out of Juneau......... ABSOLUTELY AMAZING. We took the one where you walk on the glacier with a guide for one hour.......... Very expensive but totally worth it......... Book with the cruiseship. This one is not cheaper with an independent operator.

Other passengers on our inside passage cruise said that this excursion was clearly the highlight of the cruise. We didn't take it and regretted it afterward.

If seeing wildlife is what you want then you pretty much have to get off the ship and take an excursion that will get you closer.

Our best whalr watch on the inside passage was in Juneau when we took the rainforest, mendenhall glacier and whate watch. The rainforest was fascinating, the mendenall spectacular, and we spotted renegade orcas feeding on seals in an excellent whale watch. This was on the HAL excursion, which I recommend.

This is one I was thinking about because I like the idea of getting to explore the land and the sea. I want to make sure I see cool land parts of Alaska too.

I think right now we will do the first excursion in Juneau, but I am still thinking about Whale/ sea otter excursion in Sitka instead. The Bike and Brew in Juneau seems cool too, and a great way to see more of the wilds of Alaska. I Know in Ketchitan, we plan to wander the town on our own.

Any other tips? I really appreciate all the whale feedback. We will be going in the middle of June. Thanks for the whale chart too, I think our chances may be pretty good to see some

>SNIP<

I think right now we will do the first excursion in Juneau, but I am still thinking about Whale/ sea otter excursion in Sitka instead. The Bike and Brew in Juneau seems cool too, and a great way to see more of the wilds of Alaska. I Know in Ketchitan, we plan to wander the town on our own.

The excursion offered through the ship in Sitka focuses primarily on Sea Otters. You may or may not get whales on that one. There may be private operators who do otters and whales in Sitka, but for a whale watch through HAL, the one in Juneau is primarily about whales. All that said :) our last trip to Sitka we did the Sea Otter excursion, got some Sea Otters and an amaaaaaaaaaaaaaazing # of humpbacks. Feeding conditions in the area were perfect, and attracted a lot of humpbacks. Those perfect conditions don't always occur, though.

The excursion offered through the ship in Sitka focuses primarily on Sea Otters. You may or may not get whales on that one. our last trip to Sitka we did the Sea Otter excursion, got some Sea Otters and an amaaaaaaaaaaaaaazing # of humpbacks. Feeding conditions in the area were perfect, and attracted a lot of humpbacks. Those perfect conditions don't always occur, though.

I was worried that whales are not guarnteed in Sitka. When did you go that you had such a great adventure?

I was worried that whales are not guarnteed in Sitka. When did you go that you had such a great adventure?

Sept 2010. It was an all-around amaaaaaaaaaaaaazing trip. Perfect weather, shirtsleeves actually, lots of sun, the seas were so calm it was like being on land (I personally prefer more ocean motion), some evenings were warmer in Alaska than they were in the Carib. I need to check my notes -- I think this is the cruise I got a view of an orca from above. :eek: It was the BEST Alaska cruise I've ever had. On the Sea Otter Quest we saw 2 groups of sea otters. We saw (easily) several dozen humpbacks. I was outside on a low deck on the excursion boat, all by myself, when one surfaced about 30 feet out. We also got to spend an entire day in Tracy Arm, in full sun for the whole time, and afternoon temps in the 70s. I swear that entire cruise was once-in-a-lifetime. Seriously. I never expect to get that perfect combination again. (We even got to cruise through Grenville Channel, another once-in-a-lifetime event for me!) My cabin had problems, and my cabin steward was a useless git, but it was still the BEST cruise to Alaska ever :D

But then, on the May/08 cruise to AK with my DH, we saw a pod of 8 orcas for about 35 minutes on the whale watch out of Juneau. And a number of humpbacks close-in, too. Lots of humpback sightings is fairly typical doing the whale watch out of Juneau.

Other trips to Sitka we saw one humpback with baby, and one lone humpback. That is MUCH more the typical experience on the Sea Otter Quest in Sitka, I think.

IMHO you're best to book your whale watch in Juneau.

Thanks for your post re: your Heli & Glacier Walk. For Juneau, we are thinking very seriously about spending the big $$ on the Helicopter & 2 Hour Glacier Trek - does that sound similar to your excursion?

We like the idea of the LONG glacier walk (trek) with all the gear... something we will have very few chances (if not nil) in our lifetime. We have glaciers in BC and even on our island, but to do the trek sounds like it could be an amazing adventure.

Do you think if you did the same excursion and the weather was crappy that it would still be ABSOLUTELY AMAZING?

SP

OP: which itinerary are you taking?

We did see tons of whales in early august and late June cruises. Lots in glacier bay, including orcas; Sitka on the Otter excursion through HAL and as we sailed away; some very spunky ones in Skagway from the shore (yukatonia point- worth the 20 minute walk- gorgeous); inian passage not far from icy point.

If you have time in Ketchikan, even the first part of the deer mountain trail through the rainforest is interesting. It is about a 20 minute walk from the dock. Another vote for the 2 or 3 hour glacier trek via copter- expensive but so worth it. You see a whole different world up there. The creeks on the glacier really are tidy bowl blue and drop off into mulans.

Harv and Marv in Juneau

And Davey in Sitka on the Esther G

These are low crowd excursions 6-10

People versus the ships tour that packs them in like sardines

You'll see all kinds of cool stuff with Davey besides whales. Birds seals puffins and otters. I highly recommend Davey.

Have fun and Happy Anniversary.

Archived