Overview of drink packages

sarafinadh

Hmmm a question on sharing.

Me and my better half both have the classic drink package. Lets say i get a drink and she does - both under the drink package. We both go to sit down, she likes her drink, but after several sips of mine I just don't like it. I give it to her for a sip and she likes it and she says she will drink it...... That ok so far? She has a drink package also so I assume she can drink what I drink?

Now if thats ok so far, can I go back and get another drink that I may like?

Hmmm a question on sharing.

Me and my better half both have the classic drink package. Lets say i get a drink and she does - both under the drink package. We both go to sit down, she likes her drink, but after several sips of mine I just don't like it. I give it to her for a sip and she likes it and she says she will drink it...... That ok so far? She has a drink package also so I assume she can drink what I drink?

Sure, after she finishes your drink!

Some notes from recent experiences:

• While it's true that no sharing is allowed, and I have never tried to circumvent this or "cheat" the system, routinely when there's several of us at dinner and only some have premium package, and some have classic, the Sommeliers have provided "courtesy" pours of premium wines that the premium folks have ordered to the classic folks as well - I suspect largely because it's much easier to open one bottle and pour 6 glasses than 3 glasses of one wine and then another bottle for 3 glasses of a "Classic" wine
  • The same is true with sparkling water, San Pelligrino etc. at both MDR and at casual dining venues. Glasses for all guests are almost always offered without asking, and only one Premium Package card is required to get the bottle
  • We've never tried to get drinks for people not on the package at bars, and the bar staff do seem to enforce this. That said, I've also seen "courtesy upgrades" for folks on Classic packages when the bar doesn't have a Classic brand but has a Premium brand
  • Soda water is not strictly the same as San Pelligrino or other sparkling waters. It contains sodium bicarbonate as well. However I'm fine myself with soda water in lieu of sparking water

The premium package can be purchased onboard for an upgrade rate. The rates have gone up if you wait til onboard - it depends on when your Classic Bev Package was originally added to your booking as to whether you pay onboard the $10+$1.50 a day or whether you pay the higher rate. I recommend calling Celebrity's pre-cruise enhancement desk:

Celebrity Experience Desk: 1-800-590-6221 for Concierge Class and higher

Celebrity Pre-Cruise Enhancements: 1-800 722 5941 Standard Staterooms

They can do an upsell ahead of time from Classic to Premium.

I always take the Premium up-sell as the selection of wines by the glass (over 20 versus around 5 on Classic) is worth it alone, and then I also appreciate all the Martini's and Molecular Bar (Solstice Class Ships) beverages that are included.

Some final notes - at the Molecular Bar, please appreciate that while the Premium Package covers these drinks, they are significantly more involved and complicated to make than pouring a whisky and soda. I always show my appreciation to these folks with an up-front gratuity at the start of the cruise and an explanation that by the end of the cruise we plan to sample the entire cocktail menu :cool: The gesture is always appreciated as these folks work hard and don't always get the same percentage of the gratuity pool as they churn out less volume.

All in all, I consider the Celebrity packages to be the best in the business, far superior to Royal and HAL, and while I rate NCL's UBP the second best, Celebrity is still streets ahead - covering many things the others don't such as premium waters, the full range of specialty coffees, health bar smoothies, and energy drinks such as Red Bull. Not too mention that Celebrity is unique in having bar venues with 40+ international beers, venues with 40+ different vodkas, and a dozen different bourbons. No other cruise line - mainstream or luxury - has the same breadth of choice as Celebrity whom have made a significant investment in the onboard beverage offering, even bringing onboard outside consultants to assist in bar concepts, and cocktail / menu design.

Edited by YYC F/A

I have just realised my husband won't be able to get sparkling water on his classic alcohol package either, maybe we will both have to upgrade
If you're only going to enjoy the sparkling water with your dinner, then you can always get the large bottle and share it, but if you have a craving for Pellegrino during the day, then you should both upgrade so you can then both enjoy the small bottles whenever you want one and also enjoy better wine, better beer and the the drinks at the martini and Molecular Bars that you need the premium package for.

Sure, after she finishes your drink!

Since you both have the package, you're not breaking any rules if you order another drink before she finishes the drink you gave her.

Glad I found this thread. We are booked in September (on the Summit) on our first Celebrity Cruise. They offered a bonus deal (until 4/15) with either FREE PPd Gratuities or FREE Classic Drink pkg. We are not big drinkers and usually bring 4 bottles (2 each) for the room and buy glasses of wine on a few nights - using the BOGO offer on the Seapass. We rarely do cappuccinos but would if included. So we chose the Classic Package. And since it was FREE the 15% service chg.was included in FREE, an even better deal!

I read a lot of threads and not sure I see answers to some questions still bugging me.

What is a "premium coffee" in the Classic Package? Is it Starbucks or a varietal?

What is a "specialty coffee"? Is this an express or cappuccino or one of the coffees with alcohol?

At the beginning of this thread, it was noted that there were (in 2011 I think) 4 wines at $8.00 and under and 20 at $12.00 and under. But I can't find a list of current wine prices on Celebrity or Any of the cocktail or beer prices (Am I stuck with Bud? Is Amstel more than $5.00?).:confused:

Though we chose our option, I'm pretty sure we can upgrade before final payment to the Premium one if we want. But I'd like to know what we are buying (i.e. prices). Did I miss that anywhere in this thread or can anyone guide me.:o

Thanks!

Glad I found this thread. We are booked in September (on the Summit) on our first Celebrity Cruise. They offered a bonus deal (until 4/15) with either FREE PPd Gratuities or FREE Classic Drink pkg. We are not big drinkers and usually bring 4 bottles (2 each) for the room and buy glasses of wine on a few nights - using the BOGO offer on the Seapass. We rarely do cappuccinos but would if included. So we chose the Classic Package. And since it was FREE the 15% service chg.was included in FREE, an even better deal!

I read a lot of threads and not sure I see answers to some questions still bugging me.

What is a "premium coffee" in the Classic Package? Is it Starbucks or a varietal?

What is a "specialty coffee"? Is this an express or cappuccino or one of the coffees with alcohol?

At the beginning of this thread, it was noted that there were (in 2011 I think) 4 wines at $8.00 and under and 20 at $12.00 and under. But I can't find a list of current wine prices on Celebrity or Any of the cocktail or beer prices (Am I stuck with Bud? Is Amstel more than $5.00?).:confused:

Though we chose our option, I'm pretty sure we can upgrade before final payment to the Premium one if we want. But I'd like to know what we are buying (i.e. prices). Did I miss that anywhere in this thread or can anyone guide me.:o

Thanks!

Look here (near bottom of page) for wines by the glass:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1979030&page=3

Look here for several bar menus:

http://www.thepreismans.com/ecarib_reflection_menus.htm

The limit for beer has been increased to $6 for the Classic Package btw.

Look here (near bottom of page) for wines by the glass:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1979030&page=3

Look here for several bar menus:

http://www.thepreismans.com/ecarib_reflection_menus.htm

The limit for beer has been increased to $6 for the Classic Package btw.

Thanks! Now I guess I'm more confused. Looking at the 2nd link I counted 12 wines at $8 and under. (that includes roses a sweet wines like prosecco plus one sparkling). That's a lot more than the number "four" that was mentioned. Wonder how current the list isd. If beers in Classic are now for up to $6.00 that seems to be ALL the beers (not ales) except Anchor Steam. And a WHO:LE slew of cocKtails at $8 or under. Am I missing something?:confused: It sure looks like a heck of a lot of choices without paying the $11.50 more per day.

I hate to sound dumb again :o but are cappucinos and expressos included in Classic Package? If I read the detyails on the link right Classic includes "Specialty coffees" while Premium includes "all specialty coffees".

Confused again...

Steve

Thanks! Now I guess I'm more confused. Looking at the 2nd link I counted 12 wines at $8 and under. (that includes roses a sweet wines like prosecco plus one sparkling). That's a lot more than the number "four" that was mentioned. Wonder how current the list isd. If beers in Classic are now for up to $6.00 that seems to be ALL the beers (not ales) except Anchor Steam. And a WHO:LE slew of cocKtails at $8 or under. Am I missing something?:confused: It sure looks like a heck of a lot of choices without paying the $11.50 more per day.

I hate to sound dumb again :o but are cappucinos and expressos included in Classic Package? If I read the detyails on the link right Classic includes "Specialty coffees" while Premium includes "all specialty coffees".

Confused again...

Steve

You're not missing anything - there is a terrific selection of cocktails, beers and wine available with the Classic. All of the lists in the links I gave you are current btw. I'm not the coffee expert but you can certainly get the Espresso based coffees (e.g. cappuccino) with the classic. I believe there are a small number of drinks on the cafe al Bacio menu which are excluded - "favorites"? "more favorites"? Perhaps a coffee aficionado can chime in.

Please note 2012 pricing. It seems the classic package is just a way to get one to upgrade to premium. Talk about nickel and diming it.

Don't know what this means - the links I posted are for current lists (late 2013 and early 2014).

Confused again...

Steve

You can get all coffees (alcoholic and non-alcoholic) and teas up to $6 with the Classic package. That is where most of my damage with the classic package happens. Try the Aspen, it is so good! I asked for one on ice on my last Celebrity cruise and it was delish! My husband loved the teas!

Please note 2012 pricing. It seems the classic package is just a way to get one to upgrade to premium. Talk about nickel and diming it.

I don't see it that way. It is really about what you prefer. I am not into the "fancy" martinis at the martini bar or molecular bar. I prefer rum and cokes or a good cosmo and you can find some decent wines under the classic. You can always upgrade on board so it is easy to find out whether what you like is included or will be the alternative be satisfactory. I like to use Bacardi 8 in my rums and cokes (a drink that on land will be upwards of $8 where I live) and I am OK with Ketel One for my cosmos or vodka based drinks.

I'm just doing the Happy Dance because Celebrity gave ALL bookings (inside too!) The choice of FREE Classic Package or Free Ppd Gratuities PLUS any OBCS that were offerered if booked by 4/15. PPd gratuites were only worth $12/day and with the Classic Package being free it was worth $40. PLUS the 15% or $48 per day!! How could we say "no" ;-)

Steve

I'm just doing the Happy Dance because Celebrity gave ALL bookings (inside too!) The choice of FREE Classic Package or Free Ppd Gratuities PLUS any OBCS that were offerered if booked by 4/15. PPd gratuites were only worth $12/day and with the Classic Package being free it was worth $40. PLUS the 15% or $48 per day!! How could we say "no" ;-)

Steve

Steve....glad to see you're happy. Just wanted to set you straight on some numbers. The pick your perk promotion has been extended until 4/30. The Classic alcohol package is not 40, plus 15%, which would equal 46, not the 48 you were so happy about. In fact it's worth 49 per day, plus 15%, or 56.35 x 2 per cabin, or 112.70 per day, now that's something to do your "happy dance" about. :) If you wish to upgrade to the premium package, then it will cost you 10.00 per day, plus 15% or 11.50 per day. You and your cabin mate do not both have to upgrade, if only one of you wishes to, it's OK. You also do not have to upgrade for the entire length of your cruise, but on which ever day you decide to upgrade, it will be for the remainder of the cruise, with as few as 4 days left. So, you could have the classic for 10 days and then have the premium for the last 4 if so desired. I have to assume that the insides were able to get the package on your sailing since the OV and balconies are sold out and the insides are being sold for over 1600 after taxes.

Many people are happy with what the classic covers, but others like the higher priced wines and beer that can be obtained with the premium, especially at Michael's Pub with the craft beers on the Summit. Having been on the Summit last October, I can tell you that the main hub bar wise in the evening is the Martini Bar and you'll need the Premium package to enjoy the many different concoctions that the flair bartenders will make for you. If you have the classic and you like martini's, you can get a basic vodka or gin one as well as a cosmo or an appletini made with classic level liquors such as Absolute or Stoli. YMMV getting this accomplished at the Martini Bar, but the other bars on board should be able to make one for you. Enjoy your cruise.

On our last cruise in Jan on Equinox we had to specifically request the higher end spirits when ordering our cocktails and then we had charges against our account.

This was despite using the Martini Bar each night and the bar tenders getting to know us so I would have thought once was a mistake but three separate occasion's?

We got this sorted out quickly but just thought you should be aware .

Still love the package but I will continue to request the premium spirits and check my account on our next cruise in Sept.

Scotslizzy

Steve

Insides too??,, I booked a while ago but wasn't offered any perk. Hmmmmm mind you I'm in one of the lowest categories but would consider upgrading. At the time I booked, only Oceanview and up had the offers

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Forums mobile app

Insides too??,, I booked a while ago but wasn't offered any perk. Hmmmmm mind you I'm in one of the lowest categories but would consider upgrading. At the time I booked, only Oceanview and up had the offers

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Forums mobile app

I thought the 1 2 3 perks were for OV and above. I was just told that yesterday when I put a hold on a cabin for a B2B. Second leg of the trip had no OV's left so we booked an inside, and where told no drink package offer. I need to check this out!!!!!!!

I thought the 1 2 3 perks were for OV and above. I was just told that yesterday when I put a hold on a cabin for a B2B. Second leg of the trip had no OV's left so we booked an inside, and where told no drink package offer. I need to check this out!!!!!!!
The promotion is only for OV and above. If the poster's comment is indeed true, then the only logical reason is because the OV and balconies are all sold out for his 2 week sailing and the insides are going for 1600+ after taxes. Because of this high cost, then MAYBE Celebrity is adding the perk as an incentive to fill up more cabins and sell out the ship.

I guess I was wrong and made wrong assumption. We always get an OV (I get claustrpophobic) so I assumed it was all. We booked a low category OV (with a on grade upgrade) and the price had gone up. Still the per day cost on \Summit was not much more than the RCI cruise with less interesting itinerary.

We will go somewhere in Jan or March out of FL. I started looking at options and - frankly - most go to same places and we aren't beach folks. I see that the Equnox has a fairly priced cruise and - if they are offeribng the Choose one till 4/30 it might pay to put down a fully refundable deposit. For those who KNOW Celibrity.. do they offer this Choose one often?

And which B2B did you book SNJCruisers?

Steve

For those who KNOW Celibrity.. do they offer this Choose one often?

And which B2B did you book SNJCruisers?

Steve

I noticed that Celebrity is following the same pattern in the offering of the pick your perk promotion as they did when it was first launched (back at the end of 2012 I think). The first time we got it, the promotion was through Feb 16th, then extended through Feb 18th, then I remember it was offered again for 2 weeks in April and later extended through the end of April 2013. It was then offered 1 more time around August 2013 I believe.

I think the pattern was the same with the pick your perk promo. It appeared again toward the end of 2013, extended through end of Feb 2014, offered again in April and extended through the end. Based on prior history, I would not be surprised if it is offered again in Aug / Sep of this year. Of course, past performance/habits doesn't guarantee future returns/behavior :)