Luggage thief on Miami Pier/Celebrity cruise

betterdaysahead

TO DIZNEY,

You are my kind of GF... I was thinking the same thing. We took a sports / duffle bag this trip that was "totally" dedicated to shoes...

On vacation, Mr Sloop can be almost as bad as I. He had 4 Pairs (Dress Oxfords - Boat Shoes - Runners / Walking Shoes - and Flip Flops)... and I had 6 (Heels - Boat Shoes - Runners / Walking Shoes - Flip Flops - Watershoes - and Ballet Shoes / Flats / Cushiony Slippers).

Lol, have all our bases covered no matter what the occasion / need.

I'd rather give up on other clothes items, than give up on shoes, when I am in a situation where I am doing a wide assortment of things.

Lol, I will certainly pay extra baggage fees to just accommodate our shoe needs on my next cruise (was lucky enough to pay no extras for flying Canada to USA... not so lucky next year when flying Canada to San Juan... we have to pay $ 25 for every checked bag, every leg of the trip)

Cheers!

:-D

I'm lucky...DH's AA frequent flyer status allows us to check two bags each FREE. Bring on the shoes!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

:-D

I'm lucky...DH's AA frequent flyer status allows us to check two bags each FREE. Bring on the shoes!

Lol, love it.

On the topic of shoes... your Avatar / Icon is great. Maybe part of this girlie obsession from shoes comes from how as kids, a lot of characters are familiar with always had great (or fascinating) shoes.

Mickey & Minnie - Ronald McDonald - Dorothy from the Wizard of Oz (those were some awsome sparkly babies) etc

Not to mention Barbie... when I was a kid, I was most fascinated how every single outfit came with shoes... or boots, or roller skates, etc. Great stuff.

You could even buy a "bag" of Barbie Shoes that came in tons of colours (must have been close to 50 pairs in that) ...

So naturally, I thought that every girl needed a pair in every colour & style for herself...

Lol, my "addiction" was started early !!

Cheers!

Edited by Sloop-JohnB

Lol, love it.

On the topic of shoes... your Avatar / Icon is great. Maybe part of this girlie obsession from shoes comes from how as kids, a lot of characters are familiar with always had great (or fascinating) shoes.

Mickey & Minnie - Ronald McDonald - Dorothy from the Wizard of Oz (those were some awsome sparkly babies) etc

Not to mention Barbie... when I was a kid, I was most fascinated how every single outfit came with shoes... or boots, or roller skates, etc. Great stuff.

You could even buy a "bag" of Barbie Shoes that came in tons of colours (must have been close to 50 pairs in that) ...

So naturally, I thought that every girl needed a pair in every colour & style for herself...

Lol, my "addiction" was started early !!

Cheers!

Lol! I too loved Barbie!

My shoe addiction comes from DSW Shoe Warehouse. The more shoes you buy, the more coupons they send to you to buy more. I call them shoe crack coupons! :-D

Now we will be chastised for changing the theme of this thread!

:-b

This will be our first cruise. If we are able are we allowed to carry all our luggage onboard ourselves?

Only if it all fits through an airport sized scanner. Nothing larger than carry ons fit through the scanners in the cruise terminals. Plus, you'll have to drag all that stuff up stairs on escalators and you have to keep it all with you until the cabins are available for passengers, sometimes as late as 2pm. It really is a hassle to have your luggage with you.

Hmm--for our 3 day short cruise out of Miami we may resort to carry ons only but would hate to miss formal night--that definitely req. more luggage..

For longer cruises we always "cross pack"--just in case one bag goes missing altogether..& never put anything we can't afford to lose in the luggage... we cannot begin to enjoy the cruise til the suitcases arrive..dh has gone looking for our stuff many times....

Most of this thread is about theft but coming home to NY on celebrity some yrs ago, I had to run after & physically block.. a man who was about to heft my black suitcase into his waiting limo!!!! He was in such a rush he refused to stop--but eventually gave up my bag..

.Now we use all sorts of ribbons & color bands to avert disaster--no one from the cruise line or airlines ever check that folks are taking the right bags these days

I wonder one thing: You are told to leave your bagage on a certain spot pointed out of X. I had the impression that X would keep an eye on the bags so they don't disappear and that the risk of a thief coming around would be minimized.

Isn't that so? Is it so that if a bag get lost ( by theft or other reasons) X doesn't have any responsibility at all?

I wonder one thing: You are told to leave your bagage on a certain spot pointed out of X. I had the impression that X would keep an eye on the bags so they don't disappear and that the risk of a thief coming around would be minimized.

Isn't that so? Is it so that if a bag get lost ( by theft or other reasons) X doesn't have any responsibility at all?

You understand correctly. Celebrity will deny any responsibility.

BTW, they will also deny any responsibility if you have a problem on a shore excursion booked thru Celebrity....and they will deny any responsibility for any issue with any store on board or with the spa.

BTW, they will also deny any responsibility if you have a problem on a shore excursion booked thru Celebrity....and they will deny any responsibility for any issue with any store on board or with the spa.

Interesting... You are NOT allowed to carry your luggage onboard (if it's bigger than a carry on) you HAVE to leave it and Celibrity does NOT take responsibility...

Regarding stores and so on I don't have to use/buy - but in the bagage matter I don't have no alternative than to leave my things unattendent.

Nothing will keep a thief from taking your stuff. Don't bring anything that you really value. I lost some very nice clothes...and I got my luggage with the locks still on. I now bring old clothes that aren't designer. They still look good, but aren't worth much. Thieves will still be out therre. Just bring stuff that they won't really want. Also, never bring what looks like an expensive suitcase. That is a target. Instead, get an ordinary bag.

We use Delsey cases and put two straps with our names woven into them round each case. They have a small plastic lock, the straps going under the handle.

Flying back from Fort Lauderdale recently, we were asked for our keys while we were waiting to board the aircraft. These were returned after about 15 minutes. When we opened the cases wheb we arrived home, the contents had not ben disturbed. There was a note from TSA to say that the contents had been inspected.

Would never use cases with zips on as we have seen the zips open when the luggage is being handled especially at airports.

I think I will have to speak up for Celebrity. On a cruise aboard the Millennium on March 23, 2006 from Santiago to FLL 14 passengers made private arrangements for a tour in the mountains to a Park out of Arica, Chile. Coming down the mountain with 14 passengers a tour guide and a driver a truck tried to pass a bus in Devils curve. The van driver lost control and tumbled over a 300 foot cliff and 12 of the 14 cruise ship passengers were killed. Celebrity had really no responsibility for the arrangements of this tour, but feeling they were responsible for their passengers they flew the Hotel Manager to the states to bring family members to identify their loved ones.

Two husbands, the dirver and the guide survived. We had a memorial service on board. Celebrity sent their doctor ashore to help in any way he could for the two men.

We were all proud of Celebrity for steppiing up to the plate to help everyone even though they were not really responsible for this accident.

Those of us who missed tours were refunded our cost and they even gave us a free tour of Lima, which no one would have asked for under the circumstances.

Maybe they could do a better job with the luggage.

On another note the airline lost my luggage for my Fjords of Norway Constellation cruise. Celebrity loaned me a tux, shoes and shirt at no charge and they were not responsible, but made every effort to find my luggage which they did after 8 days. I bought a sweater. I guess you might say that I lived out of my carry-on for those 8 days. They didn't sell long pants on the ship that I could find.

I hope you are being sarcastic because I've experienced nothing but responsibility from Celebrity, RCI and Disney.

I hope you are being sarcastic because I've experienced nothing but responsibility from Celebrity, RCI and Disney.

I was not being sarcastic....I have had excursions booked with celebrity where they have absolutely denied any responsibility for clearly unsafe conditions. In one case, they put me on a fishing boat that was clearly unsafe because the steering was backwards...steer to the right, the boat went to the left....we did 360 degree turns in the harbour because the captain could not get used to the steering....and it was a busy harbor. Extremely dangerous. Celebrity denied all responsiblity....talk to the shore agent.

Sure, there are times that celebrity will step up and do the right thing...but their party line is..."not our responsiblity, read your contract".

I was not being sarcastic....I have had excursions booked with celebrity where they have absolutely denied any responsibility for clearly unsafe conditions. In one case, they put me on a fishing boat that was clearly unsafe because the steering was backwards...steer to the right, the boat went to the left....we did 360 degree turns in the harbour because the captain could not get used to the steering....and it was a busy harbor. Extremely dangerous. Celebrity denied all responsiblity....talk to the shore agent.

Sure, there are times that celebrity will step up and do the right thing...but their party line is..."not our responsiblity, read your contract".

Sorry to hear that. :(

We've had nothing but great experiences from all of them. In fact, Royal canceled an excursion because of the threat of bad weather. We received a refund. Celebrity refunded a portion of our excursion price after our Alaskan cruise because we were promised the Space Needle, but the tour operator dilly dallied around too much and we didn't have time to go up. They didn't have to give anything back on that one. :)

I hope you had isolated incidents and will not have to deal with anything like that again. Our positive experiences are why we usually always book through the cruise line even though we could get it cheaper (in some cases) directly from a vendor.

I think the problem is that the lugage is the responsibility of the dock people until it gets on the ship. I wonder if you use concierge luggage handling who would you go to if your luggage didn't get to your destination.

I think you are correct though, that Celebrity should get some input into security of the luggage. Write to the CEO. You will be amazed sometimes in results.

I think the problem is that the lugage is the responsibility of the dock people until it gets on the ship. I wonder if you use concierge luggage handling who would you go to if your luggage didn't get to your destination.

I think you are correct though, that Celebrity should get some input into security of the luggage. Write to the CEO. You will be amazed sometimes in results.

In some ports union members MUST handle the luggage and if celebrity handled the luggage there would be an immediate union strike. Celebrity security could do nothing even if they saw someone opening a bag...they would have to notify police or someone in the Union. That's a real problem and given that environment, there is no way that celebrity can be responsible even though it's annoying as can be to you and me. They have absolutely no control over the dockworkers other than paying them.

The only solution is to take your own bags on board or cover yourself adequately with baggage insurance which doesn't actually help much if you have just gotten on a transatlantic cruise and you've lost something....

It's a frustrating situation....and this is one that you can lay directly on the longshoremen and other unions.

In some ports union members MUST handle the luggage and if celebrity handled the luggage there would be an immediate union strike. Celebrity security could do nothing even if they saw someone opening a bag...they would have to notify police or someone in the Union. That's a real problem and given that environment, there is no way that celebrity can be responsible even though it's annoying as can be to you and me. They have absolutely no control over the dockworkers other than paying them.

The only solution is to take your own bags on board or cover yourself adequately with baggage insurance which doesn't actually help much if you have just gotten on a transatlantic cruise and you've lost something....

It's a frustrating situation....and this is one that you can lay directly on the longshoremen and other unions.

TO SOLLAN & DIZNEY,

Good info here by GHSTUDIO...

It is all covered in your Cruise Contract (all that fine print)... in actuality, Celebrity isn't really responsible / have a liability for much of anything... you sign all those rights away as a Customer when you sign / click accept on your cruise.

Which is also why it is very very important to have both Travel Vacation Insurance and Travel Health Insurance... if something goes wrong, you want to at least have some sort of coverage !!

Cheers!

Edited by Sloop-JohnB

There are some things about the OPs post that are worth discussing. Since the luggage was delivered to their cabin it was properly handled at the check-in process. In Port Everglades (and most other ports) the port workers (Longshoreman) simply put the luggage into large caged containers. There is no opportunity for those Longshoreman to search luggage since they are in the view of many other workers (and passengers). Once the luggage is put in the containers (this is done very close to the drop-off point) the containers are moved by fork trucks to a holding area near the ship. At some point they are then moved by other fork trucks onto the ship. During this entire process there is little chance that anyone could tamper with the luggage. But, once the luggage is loaded on the ship it must be removed from the containers, sorted, moved up elevators to the appropriate deck. At every step of the process onboard the ship the luggage is just sitting in large piles for an extended period of time. One could take an educated guess that anything removed from the luggage happened onboard the ship between the time it was removed from the large containers and when it was actually delivered to the cabin. As to luggage locks, they are not going to stop any thief and might even attract a thief who figures if you lock something it must be for a reason!

As to how to prevent future thefts the answer is simple (and already posted) which is not to put anything valuable in checked luggage.

Hank

Edited by Hlitner

Great! I'm glad we could make this an anti-union issue.

TO SOLLAN & DIZNEY,

Good info here by GHSTUDIO...

It is all covered in your Cruise Contract (all that fine print)... in actuality, Celebrity isn't really responsible / have a liability for much of anything... you sign all those rights away as a Customer when you sign / click accept on your cruise.

Which is also why it is very very important to have both Travel Vacation Insurance and Travel Health Insurance... if something goes wrong, you want to at least have some sort of coverage !!

Cheers!

We get the insurance. Have never had to use it. We find that being pleasant to people and treating them with respect seems to prevent a multitude of problems. I'm not saying that OP didn't do that, but it's clear from some responses that some people have better karma than others. Just saying...!

We get the insurance. Have never had to use it. We find that being pleasant to people and treating them with respect seems to prevent a multitude of problems. I'm not saying that OP didn't do that, but it's clear from some responses that some people have better karma than others. Just saying...!

Hi DIZNEY,

Agree KARMA is a good thing (unless you are in her Bad Books !! )

I too believe that much what happens in life is "about attitude"

My friends are always amazed how when we travel we are often upgraded or get other "perks" (primarily Hotels, Car Rentals and the like).

I truly think it is because we are always so polite and kind to what some would call "front line" employees (Front Desk Clerks, Housekeeping, Baggage Clerks, Cashiers, Drive Thru Fast Food Workers etc)

I KNOW what it is like to do these jobs... as it is how I paid my way thru college etc... so I respect that it is hard work... and will go out of my way to be kind and "acknowledge" them... where others won't take the time to even notice they are there (not really seeing them... treating them as robots or 2nd class people).

I would never do that... so in turn Miss Karma, seems to "find favour" with me more often than not.

As they say... "what goes around, comes around"

Cheers!

Edited by Sloop-JohnB

• 3 months later...
This won't even slow a thief down if your suitcase has a zipper, which is what most of us have! Watch this video and you'll see that anyone can get into a suitcase that has a zipper. I tried this on my own suitcase and was successful the first try: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mf-DGKUNffI

I agree with Sloop-JohnB. The only protection you have with this type of luggage is to not pack anything valuable.

This video freaks me out (I saw it a while back). I don't put valuables in my checked luggage but I did come up with a way to reduce the chance of this happening. A plastic ziptie, going through the zip pulls and then around the luggage handle. Yes TSA would have to cut it if they need to get inside, but you'd know immediately someone was there. And if you sign or mark the ziptie, you would know if it's been replaced.

• 2 years later...
This video freaks me out (I saw it a while back). I don't put valuables in my checked luggage but I did come up with a way to reduce the chance of this happening. A plastic ziptie, going through the zip pulls and then around the luggage handle. Yes TSA would have to cut it if they need to get inside, but you'd know immediately someone was there. And if you sign or mark the ziptie, you would know if it's been replaced.

Glad I stumbled on to this and the zip tie is a good idea but you can do one better by putting a lock on the zippers the use the zip tie to tie the lock to your handle. There again wont stop anyone with time to open your bag but sure will slow them down. Also a belly strap with combination locks they are heavy though and every pound counts with the Airlines

Edited by steveweese