VISA reward points and cancellation

If I use the RCCL BOA card reward points for $500 off a cruise and then have to cancel the cruise, what happens to the reward points? Do they get returned for future use or are they lost? Can they just be transferred to another booking?

Not sure but if you are concerned that you may have to cancel, I'd wait til closer to final payment to apply the $500 off.

I keep reading that it takes a long time to actually get the credit applied to the booking so I do not want to cut it too close and have to put the money out.

I've heard it's taking somewhat long (but not compared to the past when we had to have certificates sent to us and then send certificates to RCI) but I applied a free cruise on 1/31 and it showed up on my ressie in 4 days. Hopefully you will know by about a week or 2 before final if you need tp cancel and I would expect that would be enough time to redeem the points for the $$$ off. You also get an email confirmation about the points redemption and I believe that they can see that at RCI even if the credit has not been applied yet.

I keep reading that it takes a long time to actually get the credit applied to the booking so I do not want to cut it too close and have to put the money out.

I cashed in 50,000 points for the $500 off my cruise fare. I did it on December 19th and it STILL has not been credited to my account. I talked to my TA on Saturday and she said she could see where I had mad the transaction but it has not been applied to my account. Final payment date has come and gone. I'm still waiting for my credit card to be refunded.

Not to sound mean, but that is outdated information, although I'm sure well intended. Previously I would have agreed with you, I talked to the people at RC and when they get those requests they use to do the ones for upcoming cruises first and then get the one further ahead. There is a new automated system which I just used last week. I went to the website on Wednesday, cashed out 10,000 points for $100 OBC on my upcoming cruise and this morning I called and verified it was showing up on my account. I last did this in January for my Allure cruise and this time it was much quicker. Now for refunding, I'll step aside on that one.

If I use the RCCL BOA card reward points for $500 off a cruise and then have to cancel the cruise, what happens to the reward points? Do they get returned for future use or are they lost? Can they just be transferred to another booking?

If you cancel your reservation you will lose the points . You can transfer the reward to a different reservation or change your exsisting reservation to a different ship and date in order to keep the $500 off the cruise price.

Depends on if you completely cancel your cruise or just change your reservation to another sailing. If you are booked for a June cruise and decide December is better - change the reservation. You won't lose your points - they will transfer. If you decide you're never cruising again - bye bye points.

As BillOh pointed out - the new system is really fast and if you have concerns you can always call the Royal rewards number and they will help you.

Not to sound mean, but that is outdated information, although I'm sure well intended. Previously I would have agreed with you, I talked to the people at RC and when they get those requests they use to do the ones for upcoming cruises first and then get the one further ahead. There is a new automated system which I just used last week. I went to the website on Wednesday, cashed out 10,000 points for $100 OBC on my upcoming cruise and this morning I called and verified it was showing up on my account. I last did this in January for my Allure cruise and this time it was much quicker. Now for refunding, I'll step aside on that one.

Bill - Congratulations. I'm glad it's working for you but it is not working for everyone on every cruise. As I stated in my previous post, I applied my points on December 19th and they did not get posted to my account in time for my January 4th final payment date so I had to pay in full for the cruise. My credit card STILL has not been credited with the refund money. Last week I cashed in some points for OBC and those have not been credited yet.

Bill - Congratulations. I'm glad it's working for you but it is not working for everyone on every cruise. As I stated in my previous post, I applied my points on December 19th and they did not get posted to my account in time for my January 4th final payment date so I had to pay in full for the cruise. My credit card STILL has not been credited with the refund money. Last week I cashed in some points for OBC and those have not been credited yet.

Did you call Royal Rewards to find out the problem?

I agree. Same thing happened to me. Redeemed points in December and by final payment February 12th they hadn't been applied.

I turned in points for a cruise for 2. I certainly didn't want to put out $2400 if I didn't have to.

My TA had to call 5x to get it settled on final payment date.

No excuses for this. I want to turn in more points for OBC and I'm afraid.:eek:

There is a new automated system which I just used last week. I went to the website on Wednesday, cashed out 10,000 points for $100 OBC on my upcoming cruise and this morning I called and verified it was showing up on my account. I last did this in January for my Allure cruise and this time it was much quicker. Now for refunding, I'll step aside on that one.

Thanks for the update. Great info

So far I have had great luck with the new system. CAshed in 75k points for companion fare on Oasis in May 12. Did this in mid Jan maybe. Was applied to the cruise last week already

Then maybe a 2 week ago, I cashed in 10k points for $100 OBC for our March 23rd Majesty and it was applied within about 6 days.

I have been dealing with this through my TA. Unfortunately, she has not been much help as of yet. I planned on calling RCI direct tomorrow.

Could it have something to do with having to go through the TA? (since both posts here that have had problems used TAs?). :confused: I cashed in points on 1/31 for a free cruise and it was posted to my account w/in 4 days. I did it myself-no TA.

I've never used my TA when converting RCCL points for onboard credits. Our credit card points for OBC doesn't have anything to do with them.

I just call, order certificate for the points to be transferred, make sure to write down the confirmation number and call RCCL a few days later to be sure they have it.

They just put a new program in place. If you are concerned that you might have to cancel the cruise, wait until you know for sure to redeem your points. You no longer need coupons and you no longer have to send anything in. You can do it all online. I redeemed points today for a cruise we are leaving on next week.

I've never used my TA when converting RCCL points for onboard credits. Our credit card points for OBC doesn't have anything to do with them.

I just call, order certificate for the points to be transferred, make sure to write down the confirmation number and call RCCL a few days later to be sure they have it.

Points redemption is all done online now. You can no longer call and request a certificate.

I am planning redemption for an April cruise. The program just switched to the new BofA sign in process today.

No surprise...a few problems have been reported. So I will probably do it later in the week.

They just put a new program in place. You can do it all online. I redeemed points today for a cruise we are leaving on next week.

I've been searching the B of A site with all of my account info and cannot find my reward points listed anywhere or any info on how to redeem them. Any help or additional info is much appreciated. Thanks

I've been searching the B of A site with all of my account info and cannot find my reward points listed anywhere or any info on how to redeem them. Any help or additional info is much appreciated. Thanks

The number of points you have is at the bottom of your statement. Accounts>Credit Card> Statement Tab> View & Print Current statement.

Redemption is on the Royal Caribbean Website. Deals>Credit Cards>Redeem Rewards.

The number of points you have is at the bottom of your statement. Accounts>Credit Card> Statement Tab> View & Print Current statement.

Redemption is on the Royal Caribbean Website. Deals>Credit Cards>Redeem Rewards.

Thank you soooooo much.

The RoyalCaribbean.com/RoyalRewardsOnline is currently not functioning since they changed access procedures effective at midnight on 2/20/2012.

I called the Royal Rewards Department yesterday afternoon and they said that the problem is on BofA's end and to give it a few days.

Archived