Do you book for ship or itinerary?

jschafer6161

We've been so several of the islands, with the exception of Belize, Roaton and Costa Maya. Can't decide if we should book for the ship we want or the islands we want. What do you all do? I have the Liberty in mind, possibly the Valor or Dream...

Half and half...we actually usually sail based on the embarkation port...hubby doesn't fly well so the closer to home the better. But I would take the itineray into consideration first, the boat second.

It's about half & half with us. We booked the Dream in 2010 because of the ship, we booked the Dream in 2011 for the ship again plus the itinerary (Eastern), and we have a cruise booked in July on the Freedom to Grand Turk, Dominican Republic, Curaçao and Aruba. This cruise is ideal because we wanted to try a new ship & heard great reviews on Freedom, and we wanted to see new ports.

We are beginning to browse for summer of 2013's cruise and we will probably choose Breeze because it's a brand new ship with new features.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Half and half...we actually usually sail based on the embarkation port...hubby doesn't fly well so the closer to home the better. But I would take the itineray into consideration first, the boat second.

Same here. Except its DW that dont like to fly.

neither: just to cruise, as long as i am sailing somewhere and to get away for a few days

I would almost always say neither too.....I just want to be on a ship that goes to someplace warm. I often don't get off the ship in most ports.

Having said that, I am interested in being on the newer ships when they 1st come out or on the Liberty to see the 2.0 changes...

We've been so several of the islands, with the exception of Belize, Roaton and Costa Maya. Can't decide if we should book for the ship we want or the islands we want. What do you all do? I have the Liberty in mind, possibly the Valor or Dream...

First we figure out what week we want to cruise and in what month. Then we check itineraries and ships that are available in that time frame. So I would say for us, we're more driven by the itinerary than the ship for sure.

Since we really don't care where the ship is going, I'd have to say ship. Though to caveat that, we really don't care about the ship either, lol. In other words, we cruise to relax, so rock climbing walls, surfing, none of that is relevant to us. Any sea going vessel suffices as long as it has a bed, a pool, a serenity area and lots of food, we're good to go :)

First we pick the week. Both DH and I work, DD1 is in college, DD2 is in high school. We can't just pick up and decide we're going on a cruise, we need to plan it out ahead of time, take a look at school schedules, then pick the week.

After that, we look at itinerary. We don't like 2 sea days in a row and we don't like 3 ports and 3 sea days. The least we will cruise is 4 ports, 2 sea days and we would try to eliminate ports we've been to or anything in the Bahamas and Jamaica. We love waking up every morning in a new port and find that sea days are money-generating days for cruise ships. Seems you can't do anything fun without paying money to do it: drink, gamble, shop, spa, bingo, you get my drift.

Once we narrow down week and itinerary, there's usually only one ship left, check out the cabins available and book!

Ports are not guaranteed... not one bit.

Because of that, when considering a cruise, I have to ask myself if I would still be happy even if all the ports were missed. For that reason, the ship is a major factor in the decision making process.

:)

Wow! Love all the replies!! Thank you!! We've been on the Victory twice and a Disney cruise. Really don't want to go on the Victory again but we do like the i islands that go there. I'm sure we could visit an island several times and do something different each time. This next cruise I want to swim with dolphins, so thinking Coz, Belize concerns me from what I've read...the rest will be a bonus I guess!!

Wow! Love all the replies!! Thank you!! We've been on the Victory twice and a Disney cruise. Really don't want to go on the Victory again but we do like the i islands that go there. I'm sure we could visit an island several times and do something different each time. This next cruise I want to swim with dolphins, so thinking Coz, Belize concerns me from what I've read...the rest will be a bonus I guess!!

We thought about going back on the Liberty again this year and doing the same itinerary. I could go back to Cozumel, Belize, Roatan, and Grand Cayman and still find things to do that we didn't get to the first time. In fact, if we don't fall in love with the Victory, we may book the Liberty again for that itinerary - until Carnival comes up with another 4 port, 2 sea day cruise. In Cozumel, we did that AI Mr. Sanchos, in Belize we visited Xunantunich Mayan Ruins, Roatan was Tabyana Beach and GC was waverunners to stingray city and snorkel. We planned it this way, that way we got a bit of culture, fun, and beach. Next time we are in Belize I want to snorkel the barrier reef.

Itinerary first but I won't even look at a cruise where I am not interested in the ship (i.e. not interested in booking fantasy class ships so I don't look at their itineraries. For me, my vacation is about the places and the desitinations, ports and activities, not what I do on the ship. But if I had a chance to stay at a motel 6 in Fiji or a owner's suite at a Ritz Carlton/Four Seasons in Cleveland I am going to go to Fiji. Not everyone feels the same as me though.

Archived