Murano or Tuscan Grille???

richsea

While we generally eat in the Main dining room on our cruises, we would like to celebrate our 48th anniversary onboard Equinox this May in Murano or Tuscan Grille & would appreciate your help. Which is your favorite and why?

Murano is a smaller restaurant with impeccible service and outstanding (for a cruise) dinner. Tuscan Grill has a view of the wake from the ship, but it is larger and less "romantic". Some feel the Tuscan Grill has better food, others prefer the food at Murano. We are definitely in the Murano camp.....highly recommended for celebrating any event. (and yes, we've eaten at both on the equinox within the past three months).

I love both.:) And in my opinion, it is comparing apples to oranges.

Murano's is what I consider "Continental Cuisine"......while Tuscan

is an Italian Steakhouse. Murano's menu is here:

http://www.celebritycruises.com/onboard/tabLanding.do?pagename=onboard_dining#onboard_specialty_dining_tab/onboard/asrPanel.do%3Fpagename=onboard_specialty_dining_menu&ProductCode=MURADINNER&componentType=3%2BDining&shipCode=EQ

Tuscan Grille is here:

http://www.celebritycruises.com/onboard/tabLanding.do?pagename=onboard_dining#onboard_specialty_dining_tab/onboard/asrPanel.do%3Fpagename=onboard_specialty_dining_menu&ProductCode=TUSCDINNER&componentType=3%2BDining&shipCode=EQ

Totally different menus/styles.

I know over the years I have read where many folks think the

service in Murano's is way over the top. Personally, I love it

in there:)

But I also love Tuscan. I went 3 times on Eclipse back in Nov and

each meal was great:D

I have also read about folks who posted their food was

not edible in Tuscan:eek:.....thankfully, that has not happened to me.

It just depends on your mood and what you are looking for. I have

to say the Views in Tuscan are simply fabulous too:)

Murano hands down. The atmosphere is extremely intimate and the flavors in the cuisine are amazing. Its the perfect setting for a romantic evening or celebration of an anniversary. They will treat you like royalty. This is the kind of experience you enjoy so much, you lose track of time. My last visit it turned out I was there with my family for 2 1/2 hours.

I think your probably find 60\40 in favor of Murano, but I'm in the 40% Tuscan group and here's why.

The atmosphere is second to none, with large windows going all the way up to very high ceilings giving you a breath taking view from the Aft. And if you can time a sail away and sunset together it's even better. Love to watch the gorgeous colors of the ocean, vistas and feel the open atmosphere.

I feel a little closed in having dinner in Murano, no windows and low ceilings. The food is more elegant and classic in Murano but I have always thoroughly enjoyed my dinners in Tuscan. You can not go wrong in either fine venue. :cool:

I noticed this menu from Celebrity's website is a little out of date. On my recent Solstice cruise, the Filet was no longer cooked tableside as was my experience on the same ship in April 2010. This time the filet was presented in several portions each wrapped in a delicate dough crust. Also, there are actually about 6 or 7 dessert choices on a separate dessert menu which the site doesn't show.

It should be noted that if one chooses the Five Senses (course by course) option, there is an additional charge which the website menu doesn't reveal. I think I remember my menu stated it was between eighty and ninety dollars. And if you would like a customized wine-pairing with the Five Sense option, the charge would be higher.

The only extras we ordered were a glass of wine for each of us.

Still on an anniversary, you cannot go wrong in this place as there is enormous choice and quality in the regular selections.

Two years ago on the Solstice, we dined in Tuscan Grille the first night, and it was very good but not great. I got an appetizer with crab in it, and it tasted old. The steak was fabulous, and the dessert was pretty good. The view out the back of the ship was mesmerizing. The wake was all lit up and choppy. Really neat.

A few days later on the same cruise, we dined in Murano, and it was over-the-top fantastic. The service was impeccable, and the meal – even the lobster – was outstanding. The service was at a slow pace, which we appreciated and enjoyed. I think our party was there for almost 3 hours. We were having that good of a time.

Last year on Equinox, we dined in Murano on our first night. It was nowhere near as stellar as it had been the year before. The quality of the food wasn’t quite as good, but the service and atmosphere were still outstanding, and we enjoyed our meal.

If I had to pick one of these restaurants for my anniversary, I would go to Murano without hesitation. The setting is nice and intimate, and it feels fancier to me than Tuscan Grille (not to mention that we like the food better).

We enjoyed Murano on the Equinox better than on Century and better than the Olympic on Millennium. I guess it can vary from ship to ship and night to night. We also dined in Tuscan grill twice on Equinox. The first time was awesome and the second time, we sent a steak back (tough meat). I would choose Murano for an anniversary and let them know ahead of time that it is a special occasion.

One of the best things I've ever eaten on a cruise was in Tuscan (the eggplant appetizer.. melted in my mouth). One of the worst things I've had was in Tuscan (scamp over mashed potatoes? Mashed potatoes.. really? I obviously didn't read it because I'd have assumed pasta.) IMHO I think their steaks are superior to their fish (odd sea bass).

I'd vote for Murano because I pretty much think everything I've had in there was excellent.

While we generally eat in the Main dining room on our cruises, we would like to celebrate our 48th anniversary onboard Equinox this May in Murano or Tuscan Grille & would appreciate your help. Which is your favorite and why?

As others have noted and posted, there are serious pluses with each of these great setting. They are very different for what's offered at each one. Our verdict was that we liked BOTH very much!! Below are some of my pictures to share and prove it. I took more pictures at Murano. It was a our 39th anniversary and things worked out super well. At Tuscan Grille, I was so super busy enjoying the setting, views, company and food that I didn't take as many pictures. We were sailing away from the port near Rome while dining here. Much depends on what you like for a place/setting and type of food. Can't go wrong at either place. Murano is more of a classy/upscale setting. See more at this posting:

Speciality Dining Photos/Tips:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1434523&page=2

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Did a June 7-19, 2011, Solstice cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Enjoyed great weather and a wonderful trip. Dozens of wonderful visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc., on these postings. We are now at 66,225 views for this live/blog re-cap on our first sailing with Celebrity and much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1426474

Here is an overview for this wonderfully-appointed, speciality Murano dining room with nice wood, ceiling, glass, etc., details.* Maximum capacity for seating in 90.* For the last night, they have 30 people on a waiting listing.* We booked ahead which was smart in order to get a specific date on a sea day.:

MuranoRoomOverview.jpg

The “Creamy Maine Lobster Bisque” is one of their most popular starter items at Murano. It is far different from what is served on the rest of the Solstice. It involves seven hours prep time for the different items. The broth is poured into your bowl with nice drama . . . and great taste. There are ten different starter options. You can have as many courses of starters as you wish. I had a second starter of Diver Scallop Wellington-Style. The warm goat cheese souffle is also a popular item here. :

MuranoLobsterBisque.jpg

Three of us had the Murano Lobster as our main entrees. It is cooked and prepared table-side from lobster tails that are first presented table-side.:

MuranoPrepareLobster.jpg

My wife had this “Potato-Laced French Turbot” at Murano that looked great on its presentation plate. Tasted good, too!:

MuranoTurbotMainDish.jpg

My dessert choice was “Les VI Etoiles du Murano”. It is six different bite-sized desserts. My wife and I were going to share this one, but she switched for the “Grand Marnier Souffle”. I got this whole selection, but, don’t worry, I didn’t and couldn’t eat it all. Very delightful!:

Murano2DessertTimesSix.jpg

This was the Tuscan Grille “Signature Creme Brulee” that I enjoyed. A key tip for the Tuscan Grille is to “pace yourself” as the portions are large (and good). You need to save room for the desserts, etc.:

SolsticeTuscan2Dessert-1.jpg

Thanks so much for all your thoughts, & thanks for the photos Terry.They both sound enticing. Right now we're leaning towards Murano, but that view from Tuscan Grille is appealing, especially since we're anchored at Santorini until 10pm on our anniversary, & if we're positioned right, the dusk views of the island during dinner would be spectacular!

Maybe we'll just try them both during thr cruise, or perhaps they'll offer the $79.00 special Terry, & we can savor all three!

Thanks so much for all your thoughts, & thanks for the photos Terry. They both sound enticing. Right now we're leaning towards Murano, but that view from Tuscan Grille is appealing, especially since we're anchored at Santorini until 10pm on our anniversary, & if we're positioned right, the dusk views of the island during dinner would be spectacular! Maybe we'll just try them both during thr cruise, or perhaps they'll offer the $79.00 special Terry, & we can savor all three!

Is that May 23 when you are planning to be in Santorini on the Celebrity Equinox? If you are there in Santorini until 10 pm, that might tip the scale, in my view, towards going for Tuscan Grille. Having that super view out of the back of the ship could be totally awesome. Tough, challenging choice!! For your 48th anniversary and while in the Greek Isles, you could have two such super special dinner on your cruise. Do BOTH!!!

On that specific date, sunset is at 8:23 pm, per

http://www.wunderground.com

On that day last year, it was a high of 75 °F and low of 64 °F. The average high for this day is 72 °F and a low of 62 °F. The record on that date during recent history has been 87 °F (2001) with a low of 59 °F (2004)

THANKS for the nice comments on the photos! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Did a June 7-19, 2011, Solstice cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Enjoyed great weather and a wonderful trip. Dozens of wonderful visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc., on these postings. We are now at 66,225 views for this live/blog re-cap on our first sailing with Celebrity and much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

We were on Solstice last month an tried both Marano and Tuscan Grill...Just our opinion after 40 cruises on various ships but we absolutely loved Tuscan Grill! The menu was excellent, the food superb, great service and we ate there multiple times during the week. Marano was good but the presentation was a lttle over the top for us and the food, while very good, wasn't as sensational. The attention to my wifes gluten-free dining needs in Tuscan was very comfortable. Plenty of choices and no ostentacious display needed. Both dining venues are excellent and everyone has their own views and preferences. Enjoy!:)

Is that May 23 when you are planning to be in Santorini on the Celebrity Equinox? If you are there in Santorini until 10 pm, that might tip the scale, in my view, towards going for Tuscan Grille. Having that super view out of the back of the ship could be totally awesome. Tough, challenging choice!! For your 48th anniversary and while in the Greek Isles, you could have two such super special dinner on your cruise. Do BOTH!!!

On that specific date, sunset is at 8:23 pm, per

http://www.wunderground.com

Yes it's the 23rd of May when we're there. The timing of the sunset seems perfect. We'll probably go to Tuscan on the 23rd & Murano another night. Do you remember when in the sailing they offered the $79.00 special? Always looking for a sale!

Yes it's the 23rd of May when we're there. The timing of the sunset seems perfect. We'll probably go to Tuscan on the 23rd & Murano another night. Do you remember when in the sailing they offered the $79.00 special? Always looking for a sale!

Hi Rich: I am on the same sailing. Not sure of the 79 dollar special, however if you book three specialities there is a discount once you board. You can also prebook online and then get the discount once on board.

Also we are dining at Murano's the first night (21st) as there is a 20 percent discount on specialities on first nights!

Someone else will chime in that will be able to answer further.

Nancy

Glad to know you've worked things out for BOTH of these fine dining places. On that $79 "three-for" pricing, that's probably gone. Sorry! Since last June, they've upped the base price for Murano from $35 to $40. Tuscan Grille also went up, too. Those specials on either three-for or five-for will vary from cruise to cruise depending on the advance bookings they get and what they sense is needed to fill up these places. You'll have to check when you get on the ship to see what they will be offering on your specific cruise. Make your advance reservations as needed, do those payments and then they will adjust based on what specials are being offered on your cruise. Below are a few more visual samples to get you excited about your upcoming dining adventures!!

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Did a June 7-19, 2011, Solstice cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Enjoyed great weather and a wonderful trip. Dozens of wonderful visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc., on these postings. We are now at 66,454 views for this live/blog re-cap on our first sailing with Celebrity and much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

For dolce or dessert, here is what the dark chocolate fondue appeared as you needed to tackle this “finish” at Tuscan Grille.:

SolsticeTuscanGrDessertOne-1.jpg

To get you ready to start your dining experience, they had this little strawberry item to clean your taste buds.:

MuranoOpeningStrawberry.jpg

And the Murano Lobster is served!!!:

MuranoLobsterFinalDish.jpg

Three at our table at Murano went for the “Grand Marnier Souffle” with Creme Anglaise a la Grousse Tahitenne. It was loved so much, especially the sauce that poured in the middle.:

Murano2DessertTwo.jpg

After dinner, the Executive Chef and Maitre ‘D for Murano came past our table to check on our satisfaction. They are shown here with Amy and Milt from Central Ohio. Folks are smiling!! Does that tell you something??:

MuranoWithChefEtc.jpg

In going to the speciality dining places, you walk through this area with black walls, floor and ceiling that include some interesting art work. Here’s one picture to give an example. It is a nicely done area to walk through.:

SolsticeWallFloorArt2SpecRestr-1.jpg

I would compare the 2 menus and see which appeals to you more. We picked Murano due to the chocolate souffle for dessert and appetizers. We did not feel the Tuscan menu was "different" enough from Blu in our opinion. As someone else pointed out though, you will not feel like you are on a ship in Muranos but it is very nice ambiance.

In December (2011) we had dinner in each of Solstice's three optional restaurants.

I liked Tuscan the best for reasons every one has stated. I thought Murano

was 'snobby' and the servers were more interested in the larger the parties with

high end wine prices and the ultra expensive options. The food was good but I

had trouble getting servers' attention. Had to ask for stuff like, pouring our wine (ending up doing it ourself) and a fork when I dropped mine.

The Tuscan servers were more pleasant and helpful and the food was excellent. I also ernjoyed the view out the back as they leave the outer lights on and you can see the wake. Room felt larger and better lit.

By the way, we also like the Silk restaurant A LOT! The servers are very helpful when choosing selections and the food was also excellent.

We were on Solstice last month an tried both Marano and Tuscan Grill...Just our opinion after 40 cruises on various ships but we absolutely loved Tuscan Grill! The menu was excellent, the food superb, great service and we ate there multiple times during the week. Marano was good but the presentation was a lttle over the top for us and the food, while very good, wasn't as sensational. The attention to my wifes gluten-free dining needs in Tuscan was very comfortable. Plenty of choices and no ostentacious display needed. Both dining venues are excellent and everyone has their own views and preferences. Enjoy!:)

I don't want to high jack this thread over to gluten questions, but, your comment about a gf option at Tuscan caught my eye. We will be on the Solstice in 2 weeks for my first gf vacation and I am a nervous wreck about getting glutened. Would love to hear your wife's impressions of dining on the ship, especially the specialty places, room service, and buffet. It would be a huge help to me! Thanks.

IF you haven't been dining on cruise ships lately, you will be very happy. On last summer's RCCL cruise to the Med, I was with my family and my son-in-law has a serious gluten problem. The food was always prepared with careful attention. The maitre de' came to our table every evening after dinner to discuss the next day's choices. We were told there were several hundred people with gluten problems and the ship has special facilities to take care of the situation. My son-in-law never had a problem after eating on the ship.

I am sure each of the specialty restaurants also undertands this problem and will offer you advice on the appropriate dishes for you. Just always let your server know.

Have fun and enjoy the food!

Archived